HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Take on Donald Brashear.

Old
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
My Take on Donald Brashear.

Today was a tough day for me as a fan of the Rangers and hockey fighting in General. Many of you dislike me for the style of hockey I grew up loving or the fact you don't like guys who actually fight in today's NHL. This afternoon I witnessed Donald Brashear drop his gloves and square off in a hockey fight. The Don has done this thousands of times in his hockey career and has one of the greatest winning percentages of all tough guys ever to drop the gloves. What I saw today was a 38 year old gun slinger that is no longer the fastest on the draw. Don not only hasn't been fighting ( There are tons of injury rumors. First was concussion like headaches after the Godard and Orr fights more on this later. Then some pretty banged up ribs after the fight in Florida when he was dropped with a bod shot. )
WHzPWuTBiOA
-bpxg6W1Dk0
l9UHPY8ZMl0

Donald was willing and able in all three fights but is clear his is no longer the current NHL champ he once was. The problem today was Donald look timid and unwilling to get hit. The key to Don's fights are he is so darn strong it is dangerous to his opponents because he is able to lock their arms out and use his huge reach to punch and do damage . The fact Donald used to be able to turn it on and throw bombs and with power just a few years ago proves that is skills weren't eroding as quickly as it now appears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCZRYPKn7A

Donald has survived many major incidents in the NHL like the Marty Mcsorley stick swinging which luckily didn't end his career. Don has taken on all comers and holds huge wins over every top 10 fighter in the NHL for the last 15 years names like Probert, Domi, Parker, Orr , Godard and tons more. He has always been a well liked Teammate and friend. His hard work turned him from a goon to a usable 3-4 line NHL forward. Brashear was never a favorite of any Rangers fan myself included as has simply pounded almost all of our fighters over the years from Carins , Barnaby Sandra Mcarthy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PoGpFgRwQ
. When Donald threw the hug hit on Betts last season in the playoff it pretty much sealed the garden's faithful's hate towards him. In the bizarre world of sports the Rangers newly hired coach wanted a tough guy who could play more effective in the limited ice time he planned on playing Colton Orr. The night before he signed in NY I broke the story here on Hockey futures that he was indeed going to signed here and how pleased he was with Torts for reaching out to him. The signing from day one was weird as Brashear handles his own contracts with no agent and has been content with doing single season contracts for the last 4 years in Phillie and Washington. The Rangers signed him to a 2 year deal with his mileage and age was odd but you can't fault the player as he wants to try and secure his family. The fact that their were much younger and less expensive tough guys on the market is to be blamed on the G.M. and coaching staff. Late in his Capitals career Donald took on a great fighter in is own right Wade Belak What happened next would change the way many fighters look at the current Donald Brashear. Wade Belak stood toe to toe with the Don and ended up Tko'ing Brashear with a huge left hand bomb which concussed Brashear and busted up his knee. The 15 year bull of the woods in the NHL had been knocked on his ass. The guy hundreds had tried to ko was indeed knocked out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdpg4oxtNw

The blast to his ego was huge and with athletes their mind and ego is what gets them to perform at the top level it takes to be successful. Brashear is always a guy that loves to fight in pre season often and early in the year to show not to mess with him and send a message. This season a few guys tried to get him to go but he wasn't interested and when he did he looked slow with his punches and uninspired as a fighter. The few times he was hit this season he looked to bail on the fight and take it to the next level. During his 15 year NHL career Donald Brashear would have eaten Scott Thornton for lunch in a fight and that's not a slight to Scott he is a great game fighter and team player. Today Donald looked timid as a fighter he played a solid hockey game as a player for the first time in a long while for the Rangers but today it seems to me the end of a ear took place before our eyes. The days of Donald Brashear NHL super heavyweight Champion are over. The fact the Rangers are bound to him for another season for 1.4million is insane. The Rangers need to target a modern day enforcer in the mold of a Jared Boll or a Zack Stortini who can play a regular shift and stick up for their teams. I was never a fan of Donald Brashear and never wanted him as a NY Ranger but I have been a big admirer of his career and what it takes to do his job but sadly one of the last great hockey policemen has lost his edge and I hope he knows when to quit before a injury forces him to
Dagoon 44

Last edited by nyr2k2: 01-10-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: fixed YT
Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
RinkOnEStreet

He hasn't been a true "heavy" in years. Huggiebear needs to hang 'em up.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
He hasn't been a true "heavy" in years. Huggiebear needs to hang 'em up.
Really? seems like a odd statement when he has beaten pretty much all the top 5 guys in the last 3 years like Godard, Orr, Parros and countless others.

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:16 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Really? seems like a odd statement when he has beaten pretty much all the top 5 guys in the last 3 years like Godard, Orr, Parros and countless others.
But not this year. Give me Orr every and any day.

Brash is done. Even the middleweight tough guys and marginal heavys show him little respect.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:28 PM
The Thomas J.*

It was a horrible signing just on the basis of what he did to Betts last post season.

At least Orr could play the game, I can't remember the last time I saw Brash even touch the puck let alone stick handle. The guy is old & done.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
OverTheCap

Brash is a 38-year-old enforcer... how many 38-year-old enforcers are in the league? He's probably the only one.

Guys like Langdon and Kocur retired at the age of 35. Brashear just looks old out there, he's been suffering from injuries the most of the season and is not he same player he once was. Sather never should have offered this guy a 2-year deal.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Maybe he will go the way of Naslund and retire a year early...at least thats what we can all hope for.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Maybe he will go the way of Naslund and retire a year early...at least thats what we can all hope for.
over 35 when he signed the deal so we're still screwed, only way it goes away is if he gets traded or picked up on waivers

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He better be injured or else his style is inexcusable.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
He should retire just for his own long term safety. Is another year and a half of absorbing hits to the head going to be worth the brain damage?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=100071753

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Onion Boy

I enjoyed reading that post very much. Thank you.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:42 PM
ogie

good post... but i still think that there is no need for a player like Brashear in today's NHL. I think fighting sill has a place but the spot a guy like Brash takes up is a spot that should be given to someone that is willing to fight when needed but still has a little bit more talent.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
If he's got concussions, you could tuck him away on LTIR for the rest of his contract. He wouldn't count at all, but we'd still have to pay him.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
AllNYteams

Dagoon, I enjoyed reading your post. And thought it was a good summation of what has happened. I would like to add that Brashear has been declining for the past year or two. He was injured and scratched a lot last year as a Cap. He was probably aware of his decline when he signed as a Ranger and that is why getting a two year contract w a team was important to him.
Also, having watched him often w the Caps last year he seemed to be a big team guy. The other players were always looking to high five him or include him in the huddle. Here in N.Y. Donald just seems to be an after thought on the Rangers bench. It's not that they don't like him. They just seem to be pretty indifferent to him. Like he's not a big part of the club.
It is obvious that his main agenda here is to collect his last big paycheck. And it is understandable that anyone in his position would want to do so. But it could be dangerous for him, in his decline, to fight. Especially, since he has already had numerous concussions and injuries over his lengthy career as an enforcer.
It is very sad to watch a past his prime enforcer try to fight. But he did have an awesome career as an enforcer. And I don't want to see that role diminish. It's a big disappointment not to have Orr. Hope they can bring in someone who is as capable.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
chip chipperson*

oh boo hoo. Brashear like 100% of all athletes gets old and worse with age. I do not feel sorry for him, no body should feel sorry for him.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
eco's bones

He has the nickname 'Huggybear' mainly because he's never been all that willing to trade shots. He's never enjoyed getting hit. He likes giving not taking. It makes sense but it's not the same m.o. that we're uses to with Domi, Langdon, Kocur, Orr etc. It's not his style.

Brashear is old in hockey player years. He might even be nursing injuries. I don't know if he's done but he's not able to do his job right now.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:42 AM
XLJ

Brashear was a terrible signing. Voros is a better enforcer than Brashear right now. They need to dump Brashear and call up someone from Hartford. Torts doesn't seem too into having enforcers anyway. They might as well call someone up with some skill that can skate and lets see if the 4th line can contribute some offense because the rangers at times struggle to score. Lisin also plays on 4th line and he is not a prototypical 4th liner.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
AllNYteams

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
oh boo hoo. Brashear like 100% of all athletes gets old and worse with age. I do not feel sorry for him, no body should feel sorry for him.
I don't think anyone is feeling sorry for him. Just seems sad to watch a washed up version of what used to be a great enforcer. He looked scared in his fight yesterday. The Rangers need to let him go somehow before he gets seriously injured.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I'm sure most of you remember Big bad Sandy McCarthy. He came to the Rangers at the end of his career, got pounded a few times and became useless. A few of the beatings were sad to watch.

Both were great fighter/intimidators in their primes. And both stayed past it as Rangers.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
pwoz

Brashear is over the hill. I'd take a 2000 Brash over most enforcers.. but now I want Orr back.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
TomLaidlaw

Brash may fight like a 38 year old but he parties like a 19 year old. Trust me on that one. Don Murdoch would be proud.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Brash may fight like a 38 year old but he parties like a 19 year old. Trust me on that one. Don Murdoch would be proud.
Ha i believe it.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
JoeyBrash

The dummy should never have let Orr go and ran from this guy

JoeyBrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:49 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Brashear is over the hill. I'd take a 2000 Brash over most enforcers.. but now I want Orr back.
This is where I think I vary from most. I want Brash off the team if we can find a way to make it happen, but I have no desire to have Orr back on this team at all. It's pretty clear Tortarella has little use for a pure enforcer. I'm sure Brash has a lot to do with it, but it appears Voros has learned how to fight.

Voros>>Orr

I'll take a Voros willing to get his ass kicked by a true heavyweight than Orr. Said it once, I'll say it again, great amount of heart, absolutely horrible hockey player. Voros may not be much better but he brings decent play to the table and IMO actually belongs on a 4th line even if he didn't fight. Orr belongs in the ECHL, maybe worse if he can't fight.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:57 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Hopefully he won't get a DUI like he did with the Flyers.

It's fine if Brash wants to go out and have a good time on occasion but I hope NYC is not becoming a distraction.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote