HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

'Rent' time for Rangers

Old
01-11-2010, 05:18 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
'Rent' time for Rangers

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...emLXLN5QXJEhgM

Very valid points

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:12 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
When I read the title on the Post website "Rent Time", I assumed LB wanted the Rangers to go for it. Not sell off pieces. Moving Girardi wouldn't be selling off or renting pieces. That's a CBA/salary cap move every team faces. Girardi is arbitration eligible and players never lose in arbitration. If the Rangers fail to get Girardi extended or sign him to a 1 year deal avoiding arbitration,he will file and it will be a 1 year award thus making him a group III in July 2011. Considering the Rangers have defensemen in their system playing under ELC's or making less than 1/3 of Girardi will get in arbitration,the Rangers should look into moving him. First round pick in return? How about a top 6 forward who is under control? Or package Girardi and another piece for a top 6 forward?

Regarding Chris Higgins,flip him for a draft pick and then flip the pick for another piece. The Rangers did that with Ville Nieminen and Sandis Ozolinsh. This time just make sure the player doesn't require ACL knee surgery before making the trade

Prospal could bring back a 2nd round pick. Is that direction the Rangers want to go in when in a playoff race and the 5th seed is attainable?

Like this

Quote:

The value of draft-pick currency has increased exponentially under Gordie Clark's direction of the scouting department. The Rangers are drafting high-end talent. Clark and right-hand man Jeff Gorton have the universal respect of player personnel people around the league. The more responsibility they are given, the better it is for the organization.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0cIyd0OUI

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:05 AM
pwoz

He makes a good point about Prospal, but I think Prospal loves it in NY. I've never seen a happier "I SCORED!" face.

Higgins should attract at least a third, or maybe paired with Girardi something more.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Higgins should attract at least a third, or maybe paired with Girardi something more.
Not so sure. Antropov got a second and he was having a much better year than Higgins.

01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
He makes a good point about Prospal, but I think Prospal loves it in NY. I've never seen a happier "I SCORED!" face.

<---------

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Levitate

As long as the Rangers are in the playoff race, they're never going to "sell" just for draft picks.

If they move someone like Prospal, it'll either be because he's under performing, or because some other team is willing to trade a younger talent with some upside and the Rangers decide they want to take a shot at that.

Kind of the same with Girardi...I doubt they'd move him just for draft picks, but if the right player was offered in return? Yeah they'd do it.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
SML

Can this team beat the Caps, Devils, or Pens in a series? I doubt it. Sell.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:32 AM
blue2noise

Once again, Brooks is right on.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:33 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Came close to beating the Caps last year.

I believe we can beat the Debbies.

No on the Penguins.

GarretJoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Ace2008

flip prospal now...he can always come back if he likes it in NY so much

and flip Girardi @ the Draft when his value will be higher

for teams looking to cut salary...say Girardi for Byfuglien or something along those lines Girardi plays up to double the mins of Byfuglien but has 1/2 the cap hit...although you never know what a 5-6 million $ drop in the cap hit will do to alter Chicago's mood...they might have to drop 2 or 3 players outright just to stay within the cap.

Could see Barker, Sopel, and Byfuglien go to be replaced by min wager earners

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

completely unrealistic and precedent setting for a playoff team to sell at the trade deadline. that's asking glen sather to do something no one else in the league would do. sorry LB but you don't sell when you have a playoff spot ESPECIALLY in a weak conference. rangers can beat any top team in the east as it stands right now INCLUDING the caps who they should have beat last year without gaborik. this is just silly. no other GM in the league would do it why expect sather to?

and one more thing if the fanbase saw a team in the 5th spot in the EAST unload everyone and watch a freefall in the standings 95 percent would lose it and be calling for sather and tortorella's heads. not to mention the message it sends to guys like lundqvist and gaborik who want to win now.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Once again, Brooks is right on.
I rarely agree with Brooks, but I'm with him on this one.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
With that attitude we would be sellers every season unless we turned into a powerhouse overnight.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

A couple of thoughts...given the return the Isles got for Campoli and Comrie, would it be wrong to expect a late #1 in a Girardi/Higgins package? Also, would Phoenix, a team with playoffs, be looking at a veteran scorer like Prospal, and could he bring back Mueller?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This is a very good article by Brooks, specifically because he mentions that names that might be able to fetch something. Namely, Prospal, Higgins, and Girardi. No mention of Kotalik, Brashear, Lisin, or any of the other garbage we have that are unmovable.

I think this team could unload those players and still have a shot at the playoffs, which would be ideal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
completely unrealistic and precedent setting for a playoff team to sell at the trade deadline. that's asking glen sather to do something no one else in the league would do. sorry LB but you don't sell when you have a playoff spot ESPECIALLY in a weak conference. rangers can beat any top team in the east as it stands right now INCLUDING the caps who they should have beat last year without gaborik. this is just silly. no other GM in the league would do it why expect sather to?

and one more thing if the fanbase saw a team in the 5th spot in the EAST unload everyone and watch a freefall in the standings 95 percent would lose it and be calling for sather and tortorella's heads. not to mention the message it sends to guys like lundqvist and gaborik who want to win now.

agreed. As long as the NYR are in playoff contention they will make moves to improve the team, not sell off assets. And i also agree that this team should have beat the Caps last year. They were burnt out
at that point.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Yeah I don't know any organization in professional sports that sells when they are in the middle of a playoff race. Maybe a small market team that knows it can't afford to re-sign said player at seasons end?

What you ask for is Sather not to do anything stupid. Like trading a number of assets just to go for it this year. This team is not 1 piece away. So no reason for the GM to do this.
The other option is to stay status quo.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

This is ridiculous.

Brooks is right on. I still think the team can make the playoffs without Prospal/Higgins/Girardi. Thats how bad the East is. Why not build a return from this pending free agents and you can still take a shot with the Gaborik/Lundqvist combination?

Dont let this recent string against some truly terrible teams fool you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:53 AM
SML

The Rangers, at least the post 94 cup Rangers, have never really made the right call come deadline time. Maybe in 2002 when they dumped everyone, but that's it. It's too early in the season, by this time next month things will be much clearer. I think the inportant thing is to be one of two things. Either we stand pat with the team we've got, or we sell. I don't want to see us dumping young guys or draft picks to add to this team because I don't think there's anyone out there we should be willing to pay for that's going to put this team over the top.

Old
01-11-2010, 08:57 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
With that attitude we would be sellers every season unless we turned into a powerhouse overnight.
It's really not about attitude. It's that in 20+ years of watching, I've seen this story play out before. Why is it that we've never really been sellers at the deadline except the year before the lockout? Did we really have shot every single year or were we kidding ourselves?

Old
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Levitate

A couple of weeks ago the Rangers weren't in a playoff spot and were playing terrible. Now they've gone on a bit of a streak and are back in it and suddenly they can make the playoffs without a bunch of their current players. Right.

I think guys like Higgins and Girardi are replaceable, but the key word is replaceable, and the Rangers aren't going to trade them for draft picks and then throw rookies into the fire right before playoff time.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:03 AM
n_a_c

If Lundqvist gets hot, there is no telling how far the Rangers can go. It's always a gamble, never a sure thing. Great teams lose, bad teams win all the time. Therefore you increase your odds in this playoff lottery by always going to the dance.

If we are offered an overwhelming return, then a trade always makes sense. Like a 1st round pick or a top prospect for Higgens, then I agree it is worth the lower playoff chances. But if we only get a market rate 3rd rounder I don't see the point. Same for Prospal - only something above a 1st rounder would be worth it. As to Girardi, I think his value will increase in the off season, he is not the type of player that playoff teams are searching for at the deadline.

So basically, I disagree with Brooks.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:07 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

What's the point already to bring Prospal in the mix to play for Tortorella and then deal him at the next deadline when the team is fighting for the 5th place? This team is so ***** lacking passion already, and leadership according to some fans. What will happen if we win the next 3 and PIT and BOS drop them or even 2? Sure we'll be right in a selling position...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Agreed. And Sather will never sell if Rangers are still in playoff picture.
Don't like this "let's sell and tank" article from Brooks.
Higgins might be expandable, but he will fetch no more than 3rd round pick or second tier prospect. Personally i would trade Girardi, but i highly doubt Sather and Torts would like to have 3 d-man rookies in line up.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:13 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

LB makes great, rational, and valid points.

But since when has Sather ever done anything rational?

Never happen.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote