HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Rozsival is so terrible, why does he get so much ice time?

Old
01-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG MVP View Post
He's pretty good most of the time, but when he actually makes a mistake it seems to cost the team. For example he'll turn the puck over in the offensive zone when everyone has already started the breakout and it leads to a 2 on 1 or he'll lose the puck on a powerplay and the other team will take it the other way. I don't think his contract is nearly as bad as Redden's or Drury's, but I still like him the least of the 3. I think its stupid that he'll get boo'ed for no reason at the garden. Personally I think Redden has been the better of the 2 this year but some people can't seem to let go of last season and continue to see him as worthless because of his contract. But as many people have said on this board numerous times, if you want to blame someone for the ridiculous contract blame Sather not the player. The players going to take the maximum offer that he gets.

As far as the amount of ice time he receives, don't forget that we have 2 rookies on the team and Girardi who can't handle too much ice time as we've seen this year. It makes sense to give a veteran more ice time.

And as the most tradable contract of the big 3, I think it would be in our best interest to try to get rid of him at the deadline to a fringe playoff team who needs a veteran on the blueline.
Maybe we should clone Roszival--after all, the Rangers are a "fringe playoff team who needs a veteran on the blueline."

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Back From Cally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Maybe we should clone Roszival--after all, the Rangers are a "fringe playoff team who needs a veteran on the blueline."
I never said we needed him to make the playoffs. If you read my post you would realize I said trade him to another team. Whatever we get in return could help us on defense or we could use the freed up salary to trade for or sign a tough, crease-clearing defenseman who this team needs. And that team might need him in a different role than we would. I'm not a fan of Rozsival but until we can get another d-man who can fill that role we're stuck with him.

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:25 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

I think the booing of Rozy is plain stupid, he is a much better hockey player than Wade Redden. I feel sorry for the guy, he has really picked up his game over the last month. He has better puck control than any of our D-men.
Sure he had a tough first half of the season, but it just saddens me that he still gets booed every time he touches the puck and even when his name is called by the PA when he gets an assist.

Give the guy a friggin break.

I have always found it stupid that we boo our own players at the garden, but I guess thats just how it is. And that is sad imo. Specially when its guys who really dont deserve it.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:02 AM
gravey9

Actually, has anyone noticed how much better Marc Staal is when paired with Roszival? Way better than he has been with D. Girardi. As much as I love Girardi - I see him gone by end of next year and I see one of Sauer, Heikinen, Sangs, McDonagh or free agent in his place. The rangers should really be looking to pair Del Zotto with a bruiser as his partner. And above and beyond that - the Rangers biggest problem is that Roszival, Redden and Drury are all steady - that's their greatest attribute - they're steady - I wish they can all be steady for about 10-12 million less.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The booing of Rozsival is pointless. When Rozsival is on, he's a solid 2nd-pairing D-man, (who unfortunately gets paid like a top-pairing D-man). His strength is that he is strong enough to withstand physical play along the boards, and can move the puck. But, he still remains too tentative on the PP. And, he handles the puck like a grenade. I think what gets underestimated with Rozsival is his strength. He wins battles along the boards because of his strength, (unlike Staal, who use reach and smarts). He can play bigger and stronger players, and that is when I am most impressed by his play.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
BrianNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
What does this mean???

Strike outs...
lol K means contract

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
I think the hate for the guy around here is uncalled for and it appears he's hated no matter how he plays. He's been consitently playing solid hockey and nobody can argue with that. Pound for pound his contract is much better than Drury and Redden's. Flame away, sirs!
If Michael Rozsival's game is what you call "consistently playing solid" I would have to question the standard by which you judge defensemen in general....

Compare the Michael Rozsival you saw in the ATL & Buffalo playoff series vs. the Michael Rozsival you get 4 outta every 5 games during the regular season and then tell me if that's consistently solid hockey.... It would be one thing if Rozsival was "doing the best that he can" but we've seen a much better Michael Rozsival and that is not the guy we get on a regular basis... The reason he gets boo'd is because he doesn't bring his A-game every night and he's overpaid on top of that. It's not a question effort level with him, it's mental.... He has all the tools to be a good defenseman in this league but he can't put them together on any regular basis.

Every year we hear the same rumors, "Rangers shopping Rozsival".... There's a reason he's being shopped. poor value contract.... If it wasn't so poor, another team would have traded for him....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-10-2010 at 08:41 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:28 PM
ThirdEye

The problem with Rozsival is even at his best he's not that great (i.e. he's not very skilled or smart). He fumbles the puck way too much and doesn't make the best decisions when under pressure. He's also useless on the PP, something you don't expect considering he makes 95% more than all defenseman in the league. The only reason he gets so much ice time is because Tortorella can't play Staal and Girardi for 30 minutes a game. Both of them log more minutes than him and in my opinion are at least as good, if not better than him. They're also making much less money than him right now, and probably won't get paid anywhere near as much as him for a while

As you can see my biggest beef is the cap hit. If he got paid $2.5-3 million I wouldn't mind him at all. But as long as we have cap problems he'll always be one of those players that you hope you can replace with someone cheaper

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
The problem with Rozsival is even at his best he's not that great (i.e. he's not very skilled or smart). He fumbles the puck way too much and doesn't make the best decisions when under pressure. He's also useless on the PP, something you don't expect considering he makes 95% more than all defenseman in the league. The only reason he gets so much ice time is because Tortorella can't play Staal and Girardi for 30 minutes a game. Both of them log more minutes than him and in my opinion are at least as good, if not better than him. They're also making much less money than him right now, and probably won't get paid anywhere near as much as him for a while

As you can see my biggest beef is the cap hit. If he got paid $2.5-3 million I wouldn't mind him at all. But as long as we have cap problems he'll always be one of those players that you hope you can replace with someone cheaper
I dont know what game you watch, but saying that for a Defence he is not skilled is crazy. He is one of the most skilled D man on the team, to me second only to MDZ. I dont know why i even waste my time when i see posts like this. Also Stall wont get paid anywhre near Rozi. that is very funny buddy.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG MVP View Post
I never said we needed him to make the playoffs. If you read my post you would realize I said trade him to another team. Whatever we get in return could help us on defense or we could use the freed up salary to trade for or sign a tough, crease-clearing defenseman who this team needs. And that team might need him in a different role than we would. I'm not a fan of Rozsival but until we can get another d-man who can fill that role we're stuck with him.
I know what you said.

I don't think Roszival will be traded in the near future, this organizationis trying very hard to make the playoffs and they are not going to sell off a defenseman who plays 20+ minutes a game in all situations to clear up cap space or pick up a couple of draft choices at the deadline. And if they decide to bring in a "tough crease-clearing" defenseman, it will be in addition to Roszival, not to replace him because they are gunning for playoffs. Maybe you'll get your wish over the summer--since Sather is compelled to radically re-make the team every July--but most likely not before.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Rozsival is a better player and a better value than Redden.

But the fanbase seems to be so apathetic and helpless with the Redden situation that that Rozsival is the one that gets the venom, even though hes played like our second best even strength defenseman for over a month now.

Its strange, really.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I dont know what game you watch, but saying that for a Defence he is not skilled is crazy. He is one of the most skilled D man on the team, to me second only to MDZ. I dont know why i even waste my time when i see posts like this. Also Stall wont get paid anywhre near Rozi. that is very funny buddy.
What skill does he posses that is so unique buddy? His breakout passes are OK, but nothing special. His puckhandling is below average. He's not very physical. His hockey IQ is average at best (one of the reasons he can't run a PP to save his life), and his skating is very mediocre (not to mention he's pretty slow). I could care less how hard his shot is... it has been completely useless this season. He hasn't been able to hit the net all season long.

It's also Staal, not Stall. Why is it so hard to get that one right?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Rozsival is a better player and a better value than Redden.

But the fanbase seems to be so apathetic and helpless with the Redden situation that that Rozsival is the one that gets the venom, even though hes played like our second best even strength defenseman for over a month now.

Its strange, really.
To be fair, every single player in the league right now is probably a better value than Redden.

Imo both Redden and Rozsival are similar, and both worth about 2.5 -3 million maximum right now. Redden's value of course is even worse then. I think both of them are expendable at this point

You might be right on the second point, but what's his competition this season? Gilroy and Del Zotto are rookies, and thus he clearly should be playing better than them defensively; the guy has been in the league for almost 10 years. Staal has outplayed him as a 22 year old, and Girardi has also been very solid recently and certainly not far behind Rozsival.

Old
01-11-2010, 05:52 AM
shon

Just a comment about why he gets so much icetime.
He doesn't how to change on the fly and know when to get a change,also appears to be a bit of a selfish player.
Gets caught out on long shifts because they can't get the puck out of their zone.
He isn't good enough to be paired with MDZ when a team has 2 strong lines to defend. So they have to have Girardi with MDZ.
Just an observation of watching almost every game .
I actually don't think he is that bad just is overpaid because he was always out with Jagr which boosted his stats.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:55 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Not a big fan of bashing players. But...lets call a spade a spade here. Roszival has been terrible since he resigned for the big contract. Even if he has played harder lately. He is supposed to play that way all the time.

He was rewarded with an exhorbitant salary and since then has been collecting paychecks and nothing more. How many reasons do fans need to not approve of this guy?

The lazy coasting into corners
Constantly losing one on one battles
The inability to throw a hit, or even playing even remotely physical.
Coughing up pucks all to often always at inopportune times.
Never even so much as a dirty look when Henrik gets run over.
Inability to be the PP QB they were hoping when he resigned.

Sorry for the Rozsival lovers of the board, but the reality of it is this guy brought the hate on himself.
I was trying to collect my thoughts so that I could jot them down as a reply, but it seems as if you have already done that for me.

This post is spot on.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
My initial reaction to the title of the post was, "Because Rozsival isn't so terrible."

It seems like a lot of people on this board can only see two shades: good or absolutely terrible. It's like there's no in between. A player can't be just okay, or decent, or slightly above or below average, no--it's either good or bad.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
My initial reaction to the title of the post was, "Because Rozsival isn't so terrible."

It seems like a lot of people on this board can only see two shades: good or absolutely terrible. It's like there's no in between. A player can't be just okay, or decent, or slightly above or below average, no--it's either good or bad.
Yes.

Rozsival doesnt do anything extremely well, but he is average in a lot of departments that make up a defenseman...and thats a good thing.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:13 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Not a big fan of bashing players. But...lets call a spade a spade here. Roszival has been terrible since he resigned for the big contract. Even if he has played harder lately. He is supposed to play that way all the time.

He was rewarded with an exhorbitant salary and since then has been collecting paychecks and nothing more. How many reasons do fans need to not approve of this guy?

The lazy coasting into corners
Constantly losing one on one battles
The inability to throw a hit, or even playing even remotely physical.
Coughing up pucks all to often always at inopportune times.
Never even so much as a dirty look when Henrik gets run over.
Inability to be the PP QB they were hoping when he resigned.

Sorry for the Rozsival lovers of the board, but the reality of it is this guy brought the hate on himself.
I must be sensing from the same blackout zone....
How many hate threads about the same two?
How many times will I see in their defense that "redden's better than rozy" or "rozy's better than redden"??? They both need to go.

I remember the post after the King's car accident that said if Hank crashed it was because redden and rozsival drove on that stretch of road earlier that day!

See it goes like this...our eyes see Christensen, Callahan, DelZotto, Gaborik and we think 'they do good things'.....and then we look at the two bumblehead overpaids and we think...can't someone just like send tonya harding after them or something already????

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:22 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Is it our fault he's only shown us two shades, and usually the latter???

To no fault of anyone on this forum, it IS like there's no in between because he makes it so.

It's frustrating and nobody WANTS to bash these two...we WANT to see them DO THEIR JOB and HELP the team....seriously! some make it out like we actually want to see them fluck things up so we can post an opinion about it here????

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Once Rangers fans turn on you there is no turning back.
The most interesting part, from a psychological and sociological point of view, is that almost overwhelmingly, the incessant booing is of defensemen. Not sure if I've ever heard a goalie booed. Forwards, only on very rare occasions.

If a defenseman plays tough, no matter how inept he plays, he will not be booed.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Using ice-time as a measure of value is about as useful as using at bats in baseball.

Somewhere along the line, someone has to get minutes.
At Bats is not a bad indicator of value so I find your comparison amusing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Is it our fault he's only shown us two shades, and usually the latter???

To no fault of anyone on this forum, it IS like there's no in between because he makes it so.

It's frustrating and nobody WANTS to bash these two...we WANT to see them DO THEIR JOB and HELP the team....seriously! some make it out like we actually want to see them fluck things up so we can post an opinion about it here????
Well, I have to disagree with that. I think most games he's "okay." And then he mixes in some noticeably bad games with some noticeably good games. People may focus more on the noticeably good and bad, but that's their problem. He's usually pretty average...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The most interesting part, from a psychological and sociological point of view, is that almost overwhelmingly, the incessant booing is of defensemen. Not sure if I've ever heard a goalie booed. Forwards, only on very rare occasions.

If a defenseman plays tough, no matter how inept he plays, he will not be booed.
Good point. Dale Purinton was a fan favorite at times because of his tough (and often dirty) play.

He was also, quite literally, the worst defenseman I've ever seen play a regular shift in the NHL for as long as he did.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
do you live in an area where you aren't able to watch ranger games? sure sounds like it!
Been going to 20 plus games a year for the past 25 years...not to mention watching countless games on TV. But no need to post resume's...I'm not a fan of the guy and posted the resons why. If you want to defend him for his strong play, then lets hear some examples of that. Letds hear of all the good qualities that he brings.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Been going to 20 plus games a year for the past 25 years...not to mention watching countless games on TV. But no need to post resume's...I'm not a fan of the guy and posted the resons why. If you want to defend him for his strong play, then lets hear some examples of that. Letds hear of all the good qualities that he brings.
The guy blocks more shots than just about any other ranger defender.

He plays against player like Sidney Crosby and has very consistantly held his own.

While he isn't overly physical, his game is well rounded.

While his offense has dipped off, he is still the second best breakout passer on the defensive core and is now racking up assists to support that point.

He is the senior member of our team and therefore must have done something right the past 4 years.

And I also personally believe that Rozsival is partly responsible for Staal becoming the solid positional defender that he is.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote