HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'Rent' time for Rangers

Old
01-11-2010, 09:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Too early to know whether we should sell or not, IMO. If we're sitting in 5th near the deadline, I don't sell. Why? I have no idea, honestly, I just like the playoffs even if our chances of doing anything are slim and none. If we're 8th, 9th or lower? Sell 'em off.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

There's no way I agree with this if we're in a playoff spot if for nothing else than guys like Gilroy, Anisimov, Del Zotto, etc... need to play in the playoffs and gain experience. I can't subscribe to being a seller if the team is in the playoff hunt. If we're completely out of it, fine. Otherwise, no dice.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
What's the point already to bring Prospal in the mix to play for Tortorella and then deal him at the next deadline when the team is fighting for the 5th place? This team is so ***** lacking passion already, and leadership according to some fans. What will happen if we win the next 3 and PIT and BOS drop them or even 2? Sure we'll be right in a selling position...
Are you supporting paying Prospal 3 or 4 times what hes currently making to keep him in the fold as a 35 year old?

Might as well get a return for him now, because he wont be back with our cap situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Are you supporting paying Prospal 3 or 4 times what hes currently making to keep him in the fold as a 35 year old?

Might as well get a return for him now, because he wont be back with our cap situation.
Agreed. He may like it here, but his charity work is over after this season, IMO.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:

Would you have thought we would steal him for 1,150 M$ last summer? After this season, Tampa will still owes him 5.835 M$. Can't say the guy is in a hurry to cash in. Why won't he take another one year cut if he's enjoying so much NYC, playing with Gaborik and for Tortorella? I think the guy has travelled enough lately. I could see him staying in the NHL 1 or 2 more years, then go back to Czech republic. But I doubt he'll order 4 millions next season...

Last edited by King of cool: 01-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
This is ridiculous.

Brooks is right on. I still think the team can make the playoffs without Prospal/Higgins/Girardi. Thats how bad the East is. Why not build a return from this pending free agents and you can still take a shot with the Gaborik/Lundqvist combination?

Dont let this recent string against some truly terrible teams fool you.
is it really? the top team in the East is the new jersey devils. a team we've owned for years. A team hank beats religiously. we can't compete with them in a 7 game series with 7 home games?? stop it.

and then you have washington. Like i said here's a team that we were up 3-1 in a 7 game series LAST YEAR without a superstar gunner in gaborik and without a powerplay (which is cold right now but has consistenly been top 10 all year) we can't compete with them either?

buffalo is a good team but not great by any means. they rely on miller almost as much as we rely on hank.

really the only team that scares me is pittsburgh (who is dying right now and has zero powerplay) but does that mean you should sell your vets because you are afraid of 1 team in the conference? who else exactly is a major threat? who can't we compete with in this weak WEAK conference?

i'm not saying go sell the farm to get BETTER but to ask an organization to sell off their players when they are sitting just a few points from home ice advantage in teh playoffs is absurd and like i said unprecedented. no one does it so why should glen start?

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Too early to know whether we should sell or not, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
It's too early in the season, by this time next month things will be much clearer.
We can debate this now until we're blue in the face (or, whatever happens when you type a lot), but I think this (see above) is the bottom line. I think Brooks probably didn't have anything to write about.

And I would hold onto Girardi for at least another year.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
is it really? the top team in the East is the new jersey devils. a team we've owned for years. A team hank beats religiously. we can't compete with them in a 7 game series with 7 home games?? stop it.

and then you have washington. Like i said here's a team that we were up 3-1 in a 7 game series LAST YEAR without a superstar gunner in gaborik and without a powerplay (which is cold right now but has consistenly been top 10 all year) we can't compete with them either?

buffalo is a good team but not great by any means. they rely on miller almost as much as we rely on hank.

really the only team that scares me is pittsburgh (who is dying right now and has zero powerplay) but does that mean you should sell your vets because you are afraid of 1 team in the conference? who else exactly is a major threat? who can't we compete with in this weak WEAK conference?

i'm not saying go sell the farm to get BETTER but to ask an organization to sell off their players when they are sitting just a few points from home ice advantage in teh playoffs is absurd and like i said unprecedented. no one does it so why should glen start?
Yes. It is.

Youre being extraordinarily optimistic.

Its the same short-sighted approach thats been hampering this organization for 15 years.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:41 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Only Rangers fans would sell when the team is a point out of 5th in the conference. This is ridiculous to even talk about. Can you picture the conversation? "I know, Mr. Dolan, we're in the 5th or 6th spot in the conference and it's going to cost you millions of dollars to miss the playoffs, but my recommendation is to trade for picks and tank. Whaddya think?"

Old
01-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Would you have thought we would steal him for 1,150 M$ last summer? After this season, Tampa will still owes him 5.835 M$. Can't say the guy is in a hurry to cash in. Why won't he take another one year cut if he's enjoying so much NYC, playing with Gaborik and for Tortorella? I think the guy has travelled enough lately. I could see him staying in the NHL 1 or 2 more years, then go back to Czech republic. But I doubt he'll order 4 millions next season...
The fact of the matter is we got extraordinarily lucky with Prospal this season.

He gave us a discount because he wanted to prove that hes still capable of playing in the NHL. Hes played with a chip on his shoulder that I dont think is going to continue into next season (regardless of the money). His career, as a whole, has been marked with several bouts of inconsistency.

I doubt what Tampa owes him is going to factor into his decision when it comes to a contract for next season, and as a result, I doubt hes going to extend the same charity to the Rangers.

The fact is, his value will never be higher than it is now...some contender will cough up a fairly high draft pick for his services during a playoff run. I think the Rangers would be fools to hang onto him.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Only Rangers fans would sell when the team is a point out of 5th in the conference. This is ridiculous to even talk about. Can you picture the conversation? "I know, Mr. Dolan, we're in the 5th or 6th spot in the conference and it's going to cost you millions of dollars to miss the playoffs, but my recommendation is to trade for picks and tank. Whaddya think?"
Some people are just sick of the status quo, which is what standing pat or adding a piece or two at the deadline would be the short-sighted BS thats been going on for SO LONG around these parts. Everyones eyes get big around playoff time and the phrase "anything can happen" permeates our mindsets.

In your heart of hearts, are you really expecting anything more than a first or second round playoff exit and then the same old cluster**** of salary problems in the offseason?

Might as well sell off some assets now (and as I said before, I think this team can make the playoffs without a Prospal or Higgins or Girardi). I think Prospal, in particular, could fetch a worthwhile pick. Its time to start putting some sort of long-term plan into effect, because this team isnt going to be a contender for another couple of years. Might as well start building for that moment now.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:49 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Some people are just sick of the status quo, which is what standing pat or adding a piece or two at the deadline would be the short-sighted BS thats been going on for SO LONG around these parts. Everyones eyes get big around playoff time and the phrase "anything can happen" permeates our mindsets.

In your heart of hearts, are you really expecting anything more than a first or second round playoff exit and then the same old cluster**** of salary problems in the offseason?

Might as well sell off some assets now (and as I said before, I think this team can make the playoffs without a Prospal or Higgins or Girardi). I think Prospal, in particular, could fetch a worthwhile pick. Its time to start putting some sort of long-term plan into effect, because this team isnt going to be a contender for another couple of years. Might as well start building for that moment now.
I'm not going argue that at all. But, you have to add realism to this, and there's no way in hell that Sather is going to be able to do something like that. How are you going to convince your boss that losing millions might, MIGHT, bring you further success down the road? It's not happening and if I were Dolan, I wouldn't sign off on that either.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I'm not going argue that at all. But, you have to add realism to this, and there's no way in hell that Sather is going to be able to do something like that. How are you going to convince your boss that losing millions might, MIGHT, bring you further success down the road? It's not happening and if I were Dolan, I wouldn't sign off on that either.
I think he can sell the idea of shedding Prospal. And Id be happy just with that.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Yes. It is.

Youre being extraordinarily optimistic.

Its the same short-sighted approach thats been hampering this organization for 15 years.
bottom line NO ONE SELLS when they are a point out of 5th place in the conference. And my guess is we'll be in 5th by the end of the week with the way boston and ottawa are playing. we may even catch pittsburgh by month end. Not saying we will but the possibility of home ice even in the conversation makes your argument that much more ridiculous. NO GM NO ORGANIZATION IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD SELL IN THE POSITION WE ARE IN. I don't want to come off as rude but this just isn't done. you want to talk when/if the team is hanging around the 9th 10th spot right before the olympic break fine, we can talk about being sellers but if the team is fighting for 4th or 5th in the conference there is no discussion no debate.

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:

I honestly wouldn't trade Prospal if we're guaranteed, right now, to make the POs. Now, if somehow, a team is crazy enough to give us in return a first round pick for a package of Higgins/Prospal/Girardi or whatever combination, that would be different, I could change my mind on letting Prospal go, but I don't see it happening.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

uncle larry speaks the gospel here. agree with him 1000%

eyes to the future people...

move girardi- play beer or sangs

move higgins- play lisin more

move prospal- is ec for real? seems so.

move rozy- duh.

move kotalik- 3 yrs too long and too expensive for a pp point shot only. hes -17 !!

sell sell sell.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Don't like this "let's sell and tank" article from Brooks.
That's not what the article says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brooks
But if a championship contender is willing to surrender a first- or second-round pick....
Pretty tough to argue with the logic that if, should someone offer a 1st or 2nd for a pending UFA, you should seriously consider it if you're realistic about how far this team can go. Prospal or Higgins alone does not change the fate of this team.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
NikC

Quote:
I think he can sell the idea of shedding Prospal. And Id be happy just with that.
how long is Tampa on the hook for Prospal? one more year?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
bottom line NO ONE SELLS when they are a point out of 5th place in the conference. And my guess is we'll be in 5th by the end of the week with the way boston and ottawa are playing. we may even catch pittsburgh by month end. Not saying we will but the possibility of home ice even in the conversation makes your argument that much more ridiculous. NO GM NO ORGANIZATION IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD SELL IN THE POSITION WE ARE IN. I don't want to come off as rude but this just isn't done. you want to talk when/if the team is hanging around the 9th 10th spot right before the olympic break fine, we can talk about being sellers but if the team is fighting for 4th or 5th in the conference there is no discussion no debate.
You keep saying that noone sells if theyre in a playoff spot, but I honestly dont care about that.

Id rather see what kind of picks Higgins, Girardi, and especially Prospal can return than another early playoff exit and ugly contract situations with all of these guys. Especially when you consider the very good picks the scouting department has been making in the first 3 rounds lately.

Id like to see this organization get creative for once and stop being so damn short-sighted.

Hanging onto the 3 players above and fooling yourself into believing this team, as currently constucted, is an actual contender is exactly that. Short-sighted....and hurtful in the long run.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:04 AM
The Thomas J.*

I have to agree with Brooks, I think he is spot on. Prospal could always re-sign in the off season. As much as I love Girardi his contract could create issues for us down the road if we can't get him signed to a reasonable long term contract, & while I think he is a vet
3rd defensemen on this team that has skill & poise he could fetch a really good return & we are well stocked at that position. Higgins is a no brainer, he isn't gonna be re-signed in the off season you get what you can for him.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
I dont know, could be longer, actually.

But whatever. This is capatilism. Prospal isnt going to sign another sweetheart deal with the Rangers just because Tampa is paying him too.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

The only teams that I fear is Washington & Pittsburgh-who have whipped the Rangers ***** this year. The Rangers won't be able to handle those 2 high octane offenses. Plus you have the ref factor, giving Crosby calls...
The other 2 "elite" teams the Rangers have handled this year. Yes it was way back in October they beat the Devils but they have played well against them in recent years. And I'm not that impressed with Buffalo.
What you hope for is Pitt or Wash getting picked off early. So MAYBE the Rangers can finally get out the second round.
It is a pretty darn weak conference. Outside of those 4 teams it's arguable that the Rangers are perhaps just as good-or mediocre, as the rest of the East.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:09 AM
The Thomas J.*

Even if we trade any of these guys it doesn't mean we miss the playoffs, we will get max vaule though.

If we do get in we won't be going very far, 2nd round........MAYBE.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Quote:
I dont know, could be longer, actually.

But whatever. This is capatilism. Prospal isnt going to sign another sweetheart deal with the Rangers just because Tampa is paying him too.
6 years, 5 after this one, @ 1,167M$ per.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

WTF was Tampa Bay's thinking here, anyway? Good lord.