HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to minors?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2010, 11:47 PM
  #76
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The Rangers are not putting $6.5 million in Hartford for 4 years. Especially considering Redden is not going to be the same way Rissmiller or Kaspar was, he's GOING to cause problems in Hartford. Hell, he became a problem after a game as a healthy scratch.

The Rangers only true option is a buyout or re-entry waivers, and I even doubt anyone would take him on re-entry waivers as $3.25/4 years is not a contract any team would give him IMO.

The buyout is only more than $2mil per for 2 years. They're just going to have to suck it up. It's going to hurt our reputation if we just bury a vet that we gave a hueg contract to in the minors. Hell, we've already done this with Rissmiller, and while Kaspar had a pre-lockout contract we did the same with him.
Rissmiller's not in Hartford either. If he were to become a big headache the Rangers could look for another AHL home for him or even assign him to Charlotte.

They cannot afford to grin and bear this for another 4 years. He is going to have to go somehow or other. And basically our UFA history is horrible anyway. Once in a while we strike gold--more often than not we get less than expected. One can look at the Blackhawks for inspiration. They went from lousy to really good through drafting and player development. The Rangers at this point look like they can add 3-4 young players every year for the next 2-3 seasons--we should be able to avoid the free agent market more than we have.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
  #77
bleedblue94
Registered User
 
bleedblue94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
There are other options out there those teams would rather have than Redden.

Redden has a family and kids, you really think he's going to go play overseas for a few years to round out his career? He's going to want to play in the NHL. I doubt he's going to retire. A buyout has to happen.

That being said he would rather play in the A than SEL or the KHL I'm sure.

A 3rd round pick for Redden if he made $1mil a year would be overpaying.
he was saying we would add the 3rd rounder to compensate a team slightly for taking him...

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:18 AM
  #78
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rissmiller's not in Hartford either. If he were to become a big headache the Rangers could look for another AHL home for him or even assign him to Charlotte.

They cannot afford to grin and bear this for another 4 years. He is going to have to go somehow or other. And basically our UFA history is horrible anyway. Once in a while we strike gold--more often than not we get less than expected. One can look at the Blackhawks for inspiration. They went from lousy to really good through drafting and player development. The Rangers at this point look like they can add 3-4 young players every year for the next 2-3 seasons--we should be able to avoid the free agent market more than we have.
The point is we buried him in the AHL. We signed him 3 years/$3mil and it seems like he's probably never going to play more than the handful of games he played for us in his first few weeks as a Ranger.

And I wonder if the AHL cap is for each team or if there's a cap as to how much $ each team can have int he minors. I'd imagine there's probably both.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
  #79
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
he was saying we would add the 3rd rounder to compensate a team slightly for taking him...
my mistake

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:05 AM
  #80
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
If only it was that easy....

This is a sport...a business and a livelihood. They are players to us, but husbands and fathers to others. 6 mill year to play with kids in Hartford is VERY far down on the list of life goals of the quality free agents and their families considering where to sign that next contract.

Wade Redden gets sent to Hartford after being AVERAGE. Agents, players and their families will take notice.

If this was your business and you were considering re-locating your family for new job, wouldn't you? Take note of what happened to guy who's job you're taking?
I don't know about you, but 30 million bucks to most people comes before their pride.

Aint the most glorious career, but it's not like he's getting paid a dime less.

And besides, if you're a player, you don't have to worry about getting sent to the AHL unless you're not actually playing like you care. And if you're not playing like you care, then presumably you don't care where u play as long as you get to cash your paycheck

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:36 AM
  #81
RonGreschner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Could Sather fleece Gainey twice and ship Redden along with his contract for another highly rated prospect?

RonGreschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
  #82
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
I don't think it will be Gainey that gets Fleeced. I'm thinking another GM eventually deals for Redden, but also swipes a prospect out of the deal. Maybe a tradeable asset like Sanguinetti, or Werek...Maybe even Weise? Ya know a team that is also in need of say Draft picks, lik Sathers old buddy Brian Burke. Maybe Redden gets traded to Toronto with this years 2nd rounder or something along those lines.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
  #83
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I don't think it will be Gainey that gets Fleeced. I'm thinking another GM eventually deals for Redden, but also swipes a prospect out of the deal. Maybe a tradeable asset like Sanguinetti, or Werek...Maybe even Weise? Ya know a team that is also in need of say Draft picks, lik Sathers old buddy Brian Burke. Maybe Redden gets traded to Toronto with this years 2nd rounder or something along those lines.

With that salary and the way he's been with the Rangers they'll have to give up their first and Redden to get someone to take him. No Joke

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
  #84
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Redden at this point may be (next to DP) the most untradeable player in the league.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:35 PM
  #85
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
The only way the Rangers bury Redden in the minors is if they try to acquire a high price d-man like Souray:
New York Rangers interested in Edmonton Oilers’ Sheldon Souray ->
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/?p=9773

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
  #86
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher98 View Post
The only way the Rangers bury Redden in the minors is if they try to acquire a high price d-man like Souray:
New York Rangers interested in Edmonton Oilers’ Sheldon Souray ->
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/?p=9773
That makes no sense. One has nothing to do with the other. If the Rangers bury Redden in HFD one of Sanguinetti or Heikkenen would be able to do what Redden does and more.

Also, if they were going to get rid of Redden's cap hit/salary, why in the world would they go out and add another cap killing contract?

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”- Albert Einstein

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
  #87
kennglin13
Registered User
 
kennglin13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
What's sad is I would almost give up a 1st rounder and Redden for some random player. When you think about the fact that our best pick in the past 10 yrs was a 7th rounder and our worst was a 1st rounder I am almost okay with that

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
  #88
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
If somehow they can move Rozsival and add Souray then fine but I have no idea how that would happen since Edmonton is looking to Shed salary

bottom line on Redden is he is going to be a Ranger for another yr and then pray they allow for a buy out that does not count on the cap

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:32 PM
  #89
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
I wouldn't count on there being any amnesty buyouts. The league has no reason to do that unless the cap were to drop significantly, and that doesn't look like it will happen.

And for those who think a regular buyout is an option, it's not.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php

Redden would be on the books for the next 8 years as follows:

2010-2011 $1,916,667
2011-2012 $1,916,667
2012-2013 $3,416,667
2013-2014 $3,416,667
2014-2015 $1,916,667
2015-2016 $1,916,667
2016-2017 $1,916,667
2017-2018 $1,916,667

If Redden were to be sent down this year, he won't be brought back up this year. I can't see the Rangers risking someone picking him up at half price. But he could be back next year if we have the cap room and don't have a better option. Or maybe we can trade him somehow, though doubtful. A demotion to the AHL isn't necessarily the end of his NHL career.

I wonder though that if we were to send him down and he refused, could we void the contract, similar to what the devils did with Shanahan this year? Or will it not work because he's on a multi-year deal? I'm sure RB would know.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
  #90
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
here is a thought, maybe, just maybe renney likes redden and wants him in edmonton and they trade souray for redden with higgins maybe...it sounds crazy, but ya never know

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:48 PM
  #91
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
edmontons in cap hell already, that trade will not happen

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
  #92
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't count on there being any amnesty buyouts. The league has no reason to do that unless the cap were to drop significantly, and that doesn't look like it will happen.

And for those who think a regular buyout is an option, it's not.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php

Redden would be on the books for the next 8 years as follows:

2010-2011 $1,916,667
2011-2012 $1,916,667
2012-2013 $3,416,667
2013-2014 $3,416,667

2014-2015 $1,916,667
2015-2016 $1,916,667
2016-2017 $1,916,667
2017-2018 $1,916,667

If Redden were to be sent down this year, he won't be brought back up this year. I can't see the Rangers risking someone picking him up at half price. But he could be back next year if we have the cap room and don't have a better option. Or maybe we can trade him somehow, though doubtful. A demotion to the AHL isn't necessarily the end of his NHL career.

I wonder though that if we were to send him down and he refused, could we void the contract, similar to what the devils did with Shanahan this year? Or will it not work because he's on a multi-year deal? I'm sure RB would know.
Drury is off the books at that point...you're looking at at least $10.1 million in cap space opened up...plus Rozsival is off the books, too.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:03 PM
  #93
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't count on there being any amnesty buyouts. The league has no reason to do that unless the cap were to drop significantly, and that doesn't look like it will happen.

And for those who think a regular buyout is an option, it's not.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php

Redden would be on the books for the next 8 years as follows:

2010-2011 $1,916,667
2011-2012 $1,916,667
2012-2013 $3,416,667
2013-2014 $3,416,667
2014-2015 $1,916,667
2015-2016 $1,916,667
2016-2017 $1,916,667
2017-2018 $1,916,667

If Redden were to be sent down this year, he won't be brought back up this year. I can't see the Rangers risking someone picking him up at half price. But he could be back next year if we have the cap room and don't have a better option. Or maybe we can trade him somehow, though doubtful. A demotion to the AHL isn't necessarily the end of his NHL career.

I wonder though that if we were to send him down and he refused, could we void the contract, similar to what the devils did with Shanahan this year? Or will it not work because he's on a multi-year deal? I'm sure RB would know.
If the Rangers sent Redden to the minors and he refused to report, he would be suspended, but I doubt that the contract can be voided unilaterally by the team. Plus, when a player like Redden is sent to the minors and not recalled during the season, at the end of the season he's transferred back to the NHL roster and has to go through waivers again after training camp before being re-assigned to the AHL again.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:14 PM
  #94
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
If he refused to report do you think anyone would actually give a crap?

If we sent him down it's to clear cap space, not because we want to recondition him. And we probably don't need him to play to fill roster spots in the AHL.

If he refused to play there but otherwise didn't cause commotion, I think the rangers would be perfectly happy paying him off.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
  #95
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGreschner View Post
Could Sather fleece Gainey twice and ship Redden along with his contract for another highly rated prospect?
Keep on dreaming.

And lol @ saying we got fleeced in the Gomez trade. How's Higgins doing, by the way?

At least Scott Gomez has got some purpose in the NHL. Wade Redden has easily got the worst contract in the NHL, and Gainey isn't dumb enough to touch that POS with a 10 inch pole.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:38 PM
  #96
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Keep on dreaming.

And lol @ saying we got fleeced in the Gomez trade. How's Higgins doing, by the way?

At least Scott Gomez has got some purpose in the NHL. Wade Redden has easily got the worst contract in the NHL, and Gainey isn't dumb enough to touch that POS with a 10 inch pole.
It doesnt matter because Gaboriks doin` just fine isn`t he

Sadly but yea your right about Redden.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:52 PM
  #97
Scooter17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Keep on dreaming.

And lol @ saying we got fleeced in the Gomez trade. How's Higgins doing, by the way?

At least Scott Gomez has got some purpose in the NHL. Wade Redden has easily got the worst contract in the NHL, and Gainey isn't dumb enough to touch that POS with a 10 inch pole.
Montreal certainly did get "fleeced" in that deal pal. Higgins' cap hit is only 2.25 mil and he is gone after this year if we don't want him, while Gomez's cap hit is 7.35 mil for the next 4.5 years. LOL you got dooped just as bad as Gainey.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
  #98
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
How did we get duped with higgens?

We got a 40 point guy for a 1 year contract for 2.25 mil who's underperforming

Those kinds of crappy players are a dime a dozen in the NHL, hardly that bad of a contract

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
  #99
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Keep on dreaming.

And lol @ saying we got fleeced in the Gomez trade. How's Higgins doing, by the way?

At least Scott Gomez has got some purpose in the NHL. Wade Redden has easily got the worst contract in the NHL, and Gainey isn't dumb enough to touch that POS with a 10 inch pole.
Sorry, but Higgins wasn't the prize. It was Gomez for Gaborik. I'm fine with that. Higgins and McD were extra pieces.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
  #100
Scooter17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sorry, but Higgins wasn't the prize. It was Gomez for Gaborik. I'm fine with that. Higgins and McD were extra pieces.
Exactly. The Gomez/Higgins trade was to make room for a player who is actually worth 7.5 mil.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.