HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Emery expects to return Saturday

Old
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
I would not mind going with Leighton while he is hot. Motivate Emery and Boucher.

I think Flyers play better in front of Mike because they know he sucks. So yes, roll with him fort he next 2-3 games, I do not mind. Get Emery in shape and hungry. That will also send a message to Boucher.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

play 49 until he loses

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Sanders418777

At this point Emery is already playing in the AHL... so if you think he will be rushed if we start him up here... what is the difference? He is somewhere playing goalie. If he is good and ready I want him here and playing.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:22 AM
agrudez*

While I have to agree that I would rather Boosh as the backup over Leighton (but I would really prefer to keep all 3 as injury insurance), I think that the fact that Laviolette used to coach Leighton in Carolina will heavily influence this decision. Look at how much he relies on Asham, who he has coached before, while Stevens scratched him every night he is a 3rd liner for Laviolette.

It is obvious that the coach has more faith in Leighton than Boosh, which is really all that matters - more so than the reason for that faith.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:29 AM
JSTAFF

8-0-1? Ya, play Leighton. Don't even know how its an argument here really.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:47 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
8-0-1? Ya, play Leighton. Don't even know how its an argument here really.
Play Leighton until a game where a goalie would normally need a break, then Emery plays. If he plays well, he is the starting goalie and he gets the starting workload, and one of the other two backs up. I agree with Kaktus that the team is playing better in front of Leighton because they may actually have been less confident in his ability, but lately he's actually looked more poised and plays with better technique. It really comes down to game experience. However, will he be able to play this well coming in spot starts as a backup? There's a different makeup needed for a backup goalie, ala bullpen guys in baseball, to come in cold and play well enough to win.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I also say play Leighton until he goes cold. Some are saying he is sketchy, but he has been making big saves that not only keep us in games, but give our team momentum.

What I've seen from Booch lately, I do not want him in nets again. I almost threw up when I saw that 3rd goal in the last game against Ottawa.

Once Leighton loses a couple, or there are back-to-back games we rotate Emery back in.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I also say play Leighton until he goes cold. Some are saying he is sketchy, but he has been making big saves that not only keep us in games, but give our team momentum.
Yeah, but how many of those big saves are due to him coughing up bad rebounds that lead to offensive zone chances for the opponent? It's been a nice run, but if you're really breaking down his game there's a lot of ugly going on. Guys get hot and the bounces go for them in stretches, but eventually those bounces turn on 'em.

Hell, it seems like half the goals he gives up are after he pukes a rebound into the slot and chaos ensues.

Quote:
What I've seen from Booch lately, I do not want him in nets again. I almost threw up when I saw that 3rd goal in the last game against Ottawa.
Bit unfair given that it was his first game action in two weeks or whatever, and he had to come in cold from the bench. Prior to his injury he was playing perfectly well.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hell, it seems like half the goals he gives up are after he pukes a rebound into the slot and chaos ensues.
You have guys with magnetic sticks like Crosby always find at least two of those per game from Leighton.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Yeah, but how many of those big saves are due to him coughing up bad rebounds that lead to offensive zone chances for the opponent? It's been a nice run, but if you're really breaking down his game there's a lot of ugly going on. Guys get hot and the bounces go for them in stretches, but eventually those bounces turn on 'em.

No doubt. I am not arguing that he should be our #1, but that we should ride the pony express as far as it can go.

Quote:
Bit unfair given that it was his first game action in two weeks or whatever, and he had to come in cold from the bench. Prior to his injury he was playing perfectly well.
I don't like the coming in cold excuse. And I don't know what your definition of "perfectly well" is.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
You have guys with magnetic sticks like Crosby always find at least two of those per game from Leighton.
Well, in that game there was the goal by Letang or whomever from the point where Carter tried to clear a rebound blindly and it just went right onto his stick at the point. Now, Carter didn't need to make the panic clearing move, he had some time...but Leighton put him in that position by putting a rebound right into the shooters nitro zone in the mid-slot and Carter just wanted it out of there as quickly as possible.

Leighton has done a good job, and made some very nice saves...but he's also living with a good bit of smoke-and-mirrors at the same time.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
No doubt. I am not arguing that he should be our #1, but that we should ride the pony express as far as it can go.
Sure...but I don't think we should be letting Boucher go for Leighton.

Quote:
I don't like the coming in cold excuse. And I don't know what your definition of "perfectly well" is.
Erm, why not? You think sitting around on your ass, not taking full warm ups, etc. is good for getting a goalie loose and ready to play at a high level?

By any definition, Boucher was not our problem. The team was playing terribly in front of him, and not scoring any goals. He certainly wasn't playing well enough to feel comfortable with him as anything other than a backup, but he was playing perfectly well for a backup.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
It is true. Goalies in the NHL have a long history of missing significant amounts of time and then coming back to play lights out hockey right away.

Also, aside from the Washington game (were the team didn't do him any favors), Boucher did really well during those 6 weeks of hell. The team was just disorganized and not scoring goals. If you see it any other way than I doubt how closely you paid attention.

Quote:
Well, in that game there was the goal by Letang or whomever from the point where Carter tried to clear a rebound blindly and it just went right onto his stick at the point. Now, Carter didn't need to make the panic clearing move, he had some time...but Leighton put him in that position by putting a rebound right into the shooters nitro zone in the mid-slot and Carter just wanted it out of there as quickly as possible.

Leighton has done a good job, and made some very nice saves...but he's also living with a good bit of smoke-and-mirrors at the same time.
I wasn't referencing anything specific, though you are right. I'm just saying that superstars have a tendency to put themselves right in front of rebounds and they'll make Brodeur pay, let alone, Leighton.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
pelts35.com

I've seen improvement in Leighton's game since his first game and I don't see any reason why that won't continue with additional time with Reese. He seems more in control with his movements, his positioning is better and his rebound control has improved as well. But, most importantly, for whatever reason the team is playing great in front of him (the best they have played since the first month of the season).

For those factors I'm fine with Emery and Leighton as the two goalies for this team.

BTW for those that completely discount Leighton at the NHL level, he has put up better than average numbers at the NHL level in the past. Putting this season aside, last year in 19 games for Carolina he put up a 2.92 GAA and .901 save %age. In 03-04 he put up a 2.99 GAA and .900 save %age in 35 games for Chicago.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Sure...but I don't think we should be letting Boucher go for Leighton.
I don't think Booch has shown anything this season that makes me want to keep him here.

Quote:
Erm, why not? You think sitting around on your ass, not taking full warm ups, etc. is good for getting a goalie loose and ready to play at a high level?
I've seen many goalies come in off the bench and steal games, and at the very least keep their team in games. You could argue they should be less fatigued off the bench, and have more motivation to be playing for the #1 spot.

If you are a professional goalie, I don't think not playing for the first 9 minutes of the game should make you play that bad...

Quote:
By any definition, Boucher was not our problem. The team was playing terribly in front of him, and not scoring any goals. He certainly wasn't playing well enough to feel comfortable with him as anything other than a backup, but he was playing perfectly well for a backup.
He has not even won 2 games in a row yet, that is pretty bad in my books. Also 2 of his 4 wins have come from beating NYI, which considering our record against them lately, we could have put a bag of pucks in nets and still win.

At this point I have a lot more confidence in Leighton than Booch.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
And clearly Laviolette feels the same way given that Boucher's only action since cutting his hand was in relief. Had he not crapped the bed in that game perhaps Laviolette would have reason to have confidence in him.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't think Booch has shown anything this season that makes me want to keep him here.
Well, we differ there...think he looked exactly like you should have expected him to look. And we're judging Leighton on him playing over his head, and getting over his head results.

Quote:
I've seen many goalies come in off the bench and steal games, and at the very least keep their team in games. You could argue they should be less fatigued off the bench, and have more motivation to be playing for the #1 spot.

If you are a professional goalie, I don't think not playing for the first 9 minutes of the game should make you play that bad...
I've seen plenty do well...I've seen plenty come in and give up a weak goal or two before they get comfortable. And it's not just the 9 minutes...it's warmups where the starter gets more time, it's getting warm and then sitting and cooling down. And for a lot of guys, it's simply a matter of rhythm.

But even beyond the 9 minutes...it was Boucher's first game action since prior to the new year.

Quote:
He has not even won 2 games in a row yet, that is pretty bad in my books. Also 2 of his 4 wins have come from beating NYI, which considering our record against them lately, we could have put a bag of pucks in nets and still win.

Stick Boucher behind this team as it is playing now, as opposed to before, and he'll look a lot better. Leighton has been a waiver wire champ for a reason...don't let a small run of games fool you.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
It is true. Goalies in the NHL have a long history of missing significant amounts of time and then coming back to play lights out hockey right away.
So you are saying Booch missed significant amount of time? A few games is significant?

Quote:
Also, aside from the Washington game (were the team didn't do him any favors), Boucher did really well during those 6 weeks of hell. The team was just disorganized and not scoring goals. If you see it any other way than I doubt how closely you paid attention.
I never said the team played well in front of him, but that doesn't mean Booch played well. I still see the flyers playing crap in their own zone and giving up offensive rushes where Leighton has made key saves.

Leighton is not our solution of course, but All I am saying is ride Leighton until he goes cold. My other statement is only a matter of opinion, that we now have a backup goalie that can also string together wins in a row, and I rather choose him over Booch.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
And clearly Laviolette feels the same way given that Boucher's only action since cutting his hand was in relief. Had he not crapped the bed in that game perhaps Laviolette would have reason to have confidence in him.
A perfectly understandable (and justified) position...but in the salary cap world a decision is going to have to be made on one of 'em, and axing Boucher for Leighton is shortsighted, IMO.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Well, we differ there...think he looked exactly like you should have expected him to look. And we're judging Leighton on him playing over his head, and getting over his head results.
I agree Leighton is playing well over his expectations, and both you and I will not know if he can come up with wins down the stretch or in the playoffs (if it ever comes down to it).

Quote:
I've seen plenty do well...I've seen plenty come in and give up a weak goal or two before they get comfortable. And it's not just the 9 minutes...it's warmups where the starter gets more time, it's getting warm and then sitting and cooling down. And for a lot of guys, it's simply a matter of rhythm.

But even beyond the 9 minutes...it was Boucher's first game action since prior to the new year.
That's my point. It doesn't matter if you come in cold or not. It is an excuses.

Ok I will give points to getting more time in warmups, but I'm sure there was not that large of a discrepancy because there was and is no #1 at the moment.

Quote:
Stick Boucher behind this team as it is playing now, as opposed to before, and he'll look a lot better. Leighton has been a waiver wire champ for a reason...don't let a small run of games fool you.
We can always play the what if game till the cows come home, but like I said before I do not think he is our #1. Emery will take over, but he has shown he can at least compete for #2.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Leave Leighton... like others said he's 8-0-1 and our teams seems to play better infront of him. Yes, I know there is a possibility that right when Leighton started his first game, the players finally figured out how to play Lavy's system, but at the moment, there really should be no debate on who starts.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
hsk124

Leighton it is

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...vs_Dallas.html

hsk124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
ride Leighton until he turns on the suck.
He is winning and giving the Flyers a chance to win every single night. That said the Flyers are going to have to make a decision on this eventually. There are CBA rules regarding conditioning stints in the AHL and I dont think they want to carry 3 goalies on the roster.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
So you are saying Booch missed significant amount of time? A few games is significant?
You didn't make a statement about Boucher. You made a universal statement about using the "being cold" excuse.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
You didn't make a statement about Boucher. You made a universal statement about using the "being cold" excuse.
Actually you should re-read. Jester said Booch had come in Cold form the BENCH, which what I was referring to. Even if Jester was referring also to his injury, Booch was not out for very long, and it was due to a cut finger. He should still be very limber.