HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Rumour Thread (St.Louis? Philly? Dallas?)

Old
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I said it before, Perron is the Blues 2nd leading scorer and is 21yrs old. Would you trade A.Kost for Halak? Didn't think so. If the Blues wanted Halak they could send Gainey a 2nd rounder + Conklin at most.
Halak is a proven NHL player with a lot of years in front of him. Conklin might be an upgrade on Desjardins or Sanford but he might not, so we don't really need him. In other words, he is a throw in.

That leaves the trade as Halak for a 2nd round choice. Take a look at the percentage of 2nd round choices who become legitimate NHL players. The number is pretty low and it can take up to 5 years even for the good ones to become significant contributors.

Halak for Conklin and a 2nd round choice would be a terrible trade for Montreal. We would be better off qualifying him and then letting him sign for +$2.7 million elsewhere. That way we would be guaranteed a 1st and 3rd.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
shutehinside

Tactically speaking, it wouldn't make sense for Gainey to deal Halak right now considering the way he's been playing. Unless he get's a top 6 winger, which isn't likely or unless he works out a resonable deal with Price during the season and before the deadline.

If both Price and Halak aren't signed, Gainey could use one againt the other while negociating deals for them. If he trades Halak and Price isn't signed, Price's agent can ask for more money considering they don't have a suitable replacement in the organization and would have to spend assets or additional money to secure one.

So unless Gainey get's a remarkable deal for Halak, I don't think he will trade him before the deadline. It's not like he has to anyways as Halak and Price are RFA's.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Tactically speaking, it wouldn't make sense for Gainey to deal Halak right now considering the way he's been playing. Unless he get's a top 6 winger, which isn't likely or unless he works out a resonable deal with Price during the season and before the deadline.

If both Price and Halak aren't signed, Gainey could use one againt the other while negociating deals for them. If he trades Halak and Price isn't signed, Price's agent can ask for more money considering they don't have a suitable replacement in the organization and would have to spend assets or additional money to secure one.

So unless Gainey get's a remarkable deal for Halak, I don't think he will trade him before the deadline. It's not like he has to anyways as Halak and Price are RFA's.
You and NHLCrazy are gonna be blowing minds with all this proper logic today. If both of your posts were on my Facebook page, I would certainly be clicking: "Arrr... this be pleasin' to me eye."

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
HabsRealist

I think we will trade Halak, and if he has another 10 games like he has had this year,
he is quite valuable. A qualified GM should get a 1st round pick at least for him, not
a top 5 or top 10, but certainly a first round at least.

Problem is the guy making the trade gave up 3 guys for Gomez and Gomez's crippling
salary.

Maybe Gainey will trade Halak for Jason Blake, the other overpriced laughing stock
of the league.

In the end, we will get next to nothing.

Maybe that is best. I sure wish we would have traded Higgins, Valentenko, and McDonagh for nothing. It would have been much better than Gomez and his
$1 million a goal contract.

IN GAINEY WE DISTRUST.

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Halak is a proven NHL player with a lot of years in front of him. Conklin might be an upgrade on Desjardins or Sanford but he might not, so we don't really need him. In other words, he is a throw in.

That leaves the trade as Halak for a 2nd round choice. Take a look at the percentage of 2nd round choices who become legitimate NHL players. The number is pretty low and it can take up to 5 years even for the good ones to become significant contributors.

Halak for Conklin and a 2nd round choice would be a terrible trade for Montreal. We would be better off qualifying him and then letting him sign for +$2.7 million elsewhere. That way we would be guaranteed a 1st and 3rd.
This makes perfect sense
I'd much rather the draft picks after Halak is qualified

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post

Guess you didn't know this but trading Halak in the summer being a RFA, will get the Habs ZERO !
that's such a load of crap. Him being an RFA would not effect his trade value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
I think we will trade Halak, and if he has another 10 games like he has had this year,
he is quite valuable. A qualified GM should get a 1st round pick at least for him, not
a top 5 or top 10, but certainly a first round at least.

Problem is the guy making the trade gave up 3 guys for Gomez and Gomez's crippling
salary.

Maybe Gainey will trade Halak for Jason Blake, the other overpriced laughing stock
of the league.

In the end, we will get next to nothing.

Maybe that is best. I sure wish we would have traded Higgins, Valentenko, and McDonagh for nothing. It would have been much better than Gomez and his
$1 million a goal contract.

IN GAINEY WE DISTRUST.
You make it sound like we gave up 3 good players for Gomez, when in facty we gave up a likely bust in McDonough, a guy who has banished himself to Russia, and Higgins, a player who brings nothing anymore and is facing the very real possibility nobody will pick him up in the off-season and could find himself out of the league.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-11-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Merge
Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

I disagree. With AK out, It's perfect time to try and make a Pouliot-type deal to fill out Andrei's spot. Not saying to rush anything, but Halak's value is as high as it was ever, and the team actually has a rather large hole, it would be a good time to be able to get a young guy in a slump, cheap and worse comes to worse, you put him on the 4th when AK comes back. I don't have any names right now, because I don't know who's hot or not but it could be a good deal.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
You make it sound like we gave up 3 good players for Gomez, when in facty we gave up a likely bust in McDonough, a guy who has banished himself to Russia, and Higgins, a player who brings nothing anymore and is facing the very real possibility nobody will pick him up in the off-season and could find himself out of the league.
The voice of reason.........well said

Mcdonagh had dropped to 3rd on his college team's depth chart
the 2 guys above him were younger as well.

As for Valatenko, Forgive me for saying, but no one can call him a bona fide prospect anymore - Props to Gainey for managing to deal his rights

And lastly, as far as Higgins is concerned, Few were bigger supporters of him than i was during his tenure here, but the question that needs to be asked is " do we miss him?"
I think not

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post

As for Valatenko, Forgive me for saying, but no one can call him a bona fide prospect anymore - Props to Gainey for managing to deal his rights

And lastly, as far as Higgins is concerned, Few were bigger supporters of him than i was during his tenure here, but the question that needs to be asked is " do we miss him?"
I think not
Also, in Higgins's case, he was dealt to save cap space, not because Sather really wanted him. Gainey could not afford Higgins for what he was producing, so he was dumped, pure and simple. And Valentenko was a bloody 5th round project! The trade will forever be, in my mind anyway, Gomez for McDonagh with auxillary players filling it out to make it feasible for both GM's. People just get all crazy because Higgins was an ex 1st rounder. Woopdie doo. So was Paul Mara. Did anyone get all hot and bothered when we signed him?

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
I disagree. With AK out, It's perfect time to try and make a Pouliot-type deal to fill out Andrei's spot. Not saying to rush anything, but Halak's value is as high as it was ever, and the team actually has a rather large hole, it would be a good time to be able to get a young guy in a slump, cheap and worse comes to worse, you put him on the 4th when AK comes back. I don't have any names right now, because I don't know who's hot or not but it could be a good deal.
The problem is with the cap era, pure hockey trades are rare... so rare that the Lats/Pouliot thread will hit 40 friggin pages. All teams want to dump expensive salary and don't want to take any back so deadline day and maybe a few days before is what everyone is waiting for.

That said, Halak is cheap for the rest of this year which makes an earlier move possible but I don't yet see a team, preferably a western team who have young, cheap forward talent and a major problem in goal and few replacement options.

I can see Chicago wanting extra insurance for Huet but they aren't desperate. Same with Detroit so there's no harm in Gainey waiting a bit longer in hopes a couple #1 goalies get hurt to offer up a cheap fix for them.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Ubercron9000

St louis is a young team. They might want a young goalie and give in return. It depends on the time. I see halak being traded at the deadline or at the draft combine. Either way Gainey will try to trade him and get the best value out of him. The question is who are the other gms willing to give away. We might even have to sweeten the deal with an extra player.

Gainey wants a top six player. We might give halak and maxwell for Perron. Its not impossible. Who knows if they are willing to give perron away.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
that's such a load of crap. Him being an RFA would not effect his trade value.
Hmmm. even Gainey said that Halak would bring nothing more than Huet did.
I would think he knows a little more about it than...well...let's say....

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Habsfan18

To everyone that keeps bringing up Huet and Biron as examples. You need to remember that they were "older" soon-to-be UFA's at the time of their trades.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Yes, because what he said then applies forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
To everyone that keeps bringing up Huet and Biron as examples. You need to remember that they were "older" soon-to-be UFA's at the time of their trades.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Yes, because what he said then applies forever.
Makes a hell of a lot more sense than anything most HF gm's say

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Gainey said that because he wants to manage expectations. if Phillie calls and offers a 2nd, Gainey will walk away.

As somebody mentionned earlier, Huet and Biron were cases of older goalies going into UFA status. Halak would probably have more value than that.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
St louis is a young team. They might want a young goalie and give in return. It depends on the time. I see halak being traded at the deadline or at the draft combine. Either way Gainey will try to trade him and get the best value out of him. The question is who are the other gms willing to give away. We might even have to sweeten the deal with an extra player.

Gainey wants a top six player. We might give halak and maxwell for Perron. Its not impossible. Who knows if they are willing to give perron away.
Perron looks like he could fit in to the Top 6, wears the same number as Pouliot so they'd have to fight over that one though. Could ruin the chemistry.
Filatov or Voracek might also fit the bill?

As for veterans we could likely get Frolov or Whitney if we were willing to deal prospects for short term help.
The guy I want once Phoenix drops out of the playoff picture is Shane Doan!
Wonder what they would want for a guy like that?

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Perron please!!!

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
He said that, but things change fast. Halak is younger, RFA and not UFA and he is showing to be less shaky than Huet. So I think his stock is just getting higher and higher, that's why Bob waits.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Bitterman

If Dallas really is an option for Halak I'd focus on Scott Glennie or Jamie Benn. We just can't afford to take any sort of salary back so unless Halak is part of a package the return will be someone making no more than a million. Don't see any tempting UFA goalies for Dallas this year so it might be a viable option for them. No way Turco re-signs.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Andy

All I want is to upgrade Metropolit with a guy who can do his job but is much bigger and more physically imposing ala Manny Malhotra. I wanted Gainey to sign him so bad, the Sharks signed him for peanuts and he's playing great.

I'd start there. We need a big center who plays a strong defensive game and isn't afraid of getting his nose dirty we havent had a player like that in a while as our third line center. Just replacing Metro with someone a little bigger will make our team a little harder to play against, even if it's a small upgrade, it will still make a difference.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
All I want is to upgrade Metropolit with a guy who can do his job but is much bigger and more physically imposing ala Manny Malhotra. I wanted Gainey to sign him so bad, the Sharks signed him for peanuts and he's playing great.

I'd start there. We need a big center who plays a strong defensive game and isn't afraid of getting his nose dirty we havent had a player like that in a while as our third line center. Just replacing Metro with someone a little bigger will make our team a little harder to play against, even if it's a small upgrade, it will still make a difference.
Unless Lappy turns it around big time there's no question we'll need an upgrade at 3rd line center... and not just short term. Metro has been great but nobody can expect him to keep it up.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
Unless Lappy turns it around big time there's no question we'll need an upgrade at 3rd line center... and not just short term. Metro has been great but nobody can expect him to keep it up.
Yah, for sure, which is exactly why I really want Gainey to make that his priority. Find a cheap reliable third line center who's big and physically imposing. This is why I mentioned Malhotra, he's perfect for that role, he's a great faceoff man, is great defensivly and plays a mean game. He's getting paid 700K, he's the type of player I want.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post

I think not
Well then you're saying our drafting sucks.
Higgins picked 1st round, 14th overall
Ryan McDonagh 1st round 12th overall

And of course, I think everyone in our scouting department should be fired. But, we still just traded 2 former top 15 picks for Gomez. Also, McDonagh is projected to still have a decent ceiling and had a very solid 07-08 year. I don't think you can say he fell on the depth charts, it means nothing at his age. He's still projected to be a top 4 dman.

xposbrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Yah, for sure, which is exactly why I really want Gainey to make that his priority. Find a cheap reliable third line center who's big and physically imposing. This is why I mentioned Malhotra, he's perfect for that role, he's a great faceoff man, is great defensivly and plays a mean game. He's getting paid 700K, he's the type of player I want.
Anyone is come to mind that isn't playoff bound?

Steve Ott would help but I think he'll resign in Dallas.