HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Rumour Thread (St.Louis? Philly? Dallas?)

Old
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
I disagree. With AK out, It's perfect time to try and make a Pouliot-type deal to fill out Andrei's spot. Not saying to rush anything, but Halak's value is as high as it was ever, and the team actually has a rather large hole, it would be a good time to be able to get a young guy in a slump, cheap and worse comes to worse, you put him on the 4th when AK comes back. I don't have any names right now, because I don't know who's hot or not but it could be a good deal.
So you actually agree with me then.

I said Gainey probably wouldn't be trading Halak UNLESS he get's a top 6 winger in return, someone we need to plug a hole. Simply put, I don't think he'd deal Halak for a pick at THIS point but he might in the off season. A pick will only hurt us now while we are in a hunt for a playoff spot, thus it wouldn't make sense right now. Getting a player in return would make sense IF it was to fill a glaring void we currently have, if not then I think Gainey passes.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
Anyone is come to mind that isn't playoff bound?

Steve Ott would help but I think he'll resign in Dallas.
He's another player I'd love to have. I'm going to look at make a list of good 3rd line players who play a north south grit game.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Well then you're saying our drafting sucks.
Higgins picked 1st round, 14th overall
Ryan McDonagh 1st round 12th overall

And of course, I think everyone in our scouting department should be fired. But, we still just traded 2 former top 15 picks for Gomez. Also, McDonagh is projected to still have a decent ceiling and had a very solid 07-08 year. I don't think you can say he fell on the depth charts, it means nothing at his age. He's still projected to be a top 4 dman.
Picks outside the top 10 are always a bit of a crapshoot but the picks are made with what's known about them at the time. Higgins became a party hound, Val bolted because of family problems and McDonagh's development seems to be topping out sooner than expected.

In the end, the trade is turning out to be a pure cash dump for the Rangers and a cash transaction for us that mainly just affected our Cap without losing the likes of Subban. Given that other options at the time would have cost us a lot more I'm fine with the trade.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
He's another player I'd love to have. I'm going to look at make a list of good 3rd line players who play a north south grit game.
On July 1st I'd like to see Gainey go after Colby Armstrong. Doubt he's available before then though.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Hmmm. even Gainey said that Halak would bring nothing more than Huet did.
I would think he knows a little more about it than...well...let's say....
what does that have to do with my post? A big fat nothing, that's what. Also, Gainey never said that, he said that he was only able to deal Huet for a 2nd, so he was urging people to be realistic. Not only was your post irrelevent, but it was wrong.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
On July 1st I'd like to see Gainey go after Colby Armstrong. Doubt he's available before then though.
I would love that too. I fear he will garner Hartnell-like money on the open market though.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I would love that too. I fear he will garner Hartnell-like money on the open market though.
Hartnell was and is a better offensive talent than Armstrong but Colby does brings an element we need badly. He won't make Hartnell money but he's someone I would sign to a long term, cap friendly deal for the moxie he brings to go with 30-40 pts.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Ott for Halak? I don't think it would be a good move for the Habs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
The problem is with the cap era, pure hockey trades are rare... so rare that the Lats/Pouliot thread will hit 40 friggin pages. All teams want to dump expensive salary and don't want to take any back so deadline day and maybe a few days before is what everyone is waiting for.

That said, Halak is cheap for the rest of this year which makes an earlier move possible but I don't yet see a team, preferably a western team who have young, cheap forward talent and a major problem in goal and few replacement options.

I can see Chicago wanting extra insurance for Huet but they aren't desperate. Same with Detroit so there's no harm in Gainey waiting a bit longer in hopes a couple #1 goalies get hurt to offer up a cheap fix for them.
I really don't get the Chicago goaltending questions. Huet is pretty good, Niemi is on par with Halak, or better and Crawford (we attended the same school FTW!) will be at least an NHL backup one day.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Ott for Halak? I don't think it would be a good move for the Habs.
Not saying to trade Halak. It was a side note, trade anyone for Ott, I just want these type of players on my team, specifically a center with size who can play a very strong north-south defensive game ala Malhotra. We don't need to trade Halak for that.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I think most of us will be disappointed when we find out exactly what the market value is for a goaltender these days.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with a first round pick but I highly doubt that a team will offer up a blue chip prospect like perron or a capable 1st liner.

This is one of those classic cases where halak's value to the team is greater than what the market dictates imo.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Not saying to trade Halak. It was a side note, trade anyone for Ott, I just want these type of players on my team, specifically a center with size who can play a very strong north-south defensive game ala Malhotra. We don't need to trade Halak for that.
My line of thinking as well. I keep thinking back to the 3rd line pairing we had in McPhee & Skrudland. Decent secondary scoring and grit to shut down an offensive line.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think most of us will be disappointed when we find out exactly what the market value is for a goaltender these days.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with a first round pick but I highly doubt that a team will offer up a blue chip prospect like perron or a capable 1st liner.

This is one of those classic cases where halak's value to the team is greater than what the market dictates imo.
Unless it's a package deal I'd be happy if we got a solid 3rd line player who can play 2nd line minutes in a pinch or an upper tier prospect who's very close to the NHL.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Wes McSnipes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
And Perron has always had gigantic behaviour issues. Does anyone think he would work well in Montreal? He'd be Guillaume x100...
Nooooo, that's a misconseption by a lot of fans.

David Perron and Andy Murray just didn't see eye-to-eye.

But Perron is not a bad guy or anything. He's actually very nice. He's very personable with the fans, is well-behaved (I believe he doesn't drink, so it's not like he gets into trouble or anything), and I heard he is one of the more popular guys in the Blues' lockerroom.

Murray was just really hard on him. But Perron is a good guy. Plus, he grew up watching the Canadians, so he would probably be in heaven there.

But I hope to God this rumor isn't true. Perron is one of our best players and we don't need a goalie. This trade would make NO SENSE for us. We need a scorer; not a goalie.

If this trade went down, I would be so pissed...

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes McSnipes View Post

But Perron is not a bad guy or anything. He's actually very nice. He's very personable with the fans, is well-behaved (I believe he doesn't drink, so it's not like he gets into trouble or anything), and I heard he is one of the more popular guys in the Blues' lockerroom.

Murray was just really hard on him. But Perron is a good guy. Plus, he grew up watching the Canadians, so he would probably be in heaven there.

But I hope to God this rumor isn't true. Perron is one of our best players and we don't need a goalie. This trade would make NO SENSE for us. We need a scorer; not a goalie.

What about David Backes ? He is the type of winger we badly need in Montreal.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
What about David Backes ? He is the type of winger we badly need in Montreal.
Any team would go hard after Backes but I just don't think he's available.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:

Good insight. Again, if (IF) this trade were ever to happen (which, no way St Louis would agree to), I would be incredibly happy with the return. I was just wondering, with what we've heard in the past about his attitude, how he'd fare with the Montreal media BS.

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Unless it's a package deal I'd be happy if we got a solid 3rd line player who can play 2nd line minutes in a pinch or an upper tier prospect who's very close to the NHL.
Yes, that's more realistic (minus the upper tier prospect), but i think these boards will have a mass rage attack if that kind of deal goes down

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

If Montreal trades Halak or Price they should look at getting a veteran backup in the deal. Someone to work with whom ever is left and someone who know his role is that of backup.
Actually, more to the point, someone who the media knows has the role of backup. If Montreal traded away Halak and brought Cedrick up for backup... well Price's first bad game would be followed by the "new" goalie controversy.

I believe that both of these young guys would be better served with a veteran backup.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
If Montreal trades Halak or Price they should look at getting a veteran backup in the deal. Someone to work with whom ever is left and someone who know his role is that of backup.
Actually, more to the point, someone who the media knows has the role of backup. If Montreal traded away Halak and brought Cedrick up for backup... well Price's first bad game would be followed by the "new" goalie controversy.

I believe that both of these young guys would be better served with a veteran backup.
Cujo fits that description.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
Cujo fits that description.
You misunderstood me... I meant veteran as in played a lot of games, not as in November 11th veteran

Old
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Perron hasn't seen eye-to-eye with a lot of his coaches since he went to Major Junior and he hasn't had many coaches since then. Brent Sutter had big time issues with him during the Summit/Super Series a few years ago.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Perron hasn't seen eye-to-eye with a lot of his coaches since he went to Major Junior and he hasn't had many coaches since then. Brent Sutter had big time issues with him during the Summit/Super Series a few years ago.
Clement Jodoin didnt had any issue with him in Lewiston

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
You misunderstood me... I meant veteran as in played a lot of games, not as in November 11th veteran
LOL, I like it.

Would Dwayne Roloson be a reasonable veteran backup? I ask this because DiPietro is back playing for the Islanders.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
LOL, I like it.

Would Dwayne Roloson be a reasonable veteran backup? I ask this because DiPietro is back playing for the Islanders.
If he is willing to accept the back up role. If he understands his main function with the team would be to support and tutor Carey and play when needed.