HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Langenbrunner Team USA Captain, Drury *NOT* Alternate (post 25)

Old
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
ManicSubsidal15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I love the Olympics. It's just bull**** that NHL players are involved.
I personally disagree, I think the whole point of the Olympics should be the absolute best of the best at their sport, which would be the NHL and KHL players. They already have the WJC's for the junior and college kids. Olympics is for the big boys haha

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
clmetsfan

Yeah NHL.com has it up as well: Langenbrunner with Rafalski, Parise, Brown, and Suter as alternates.

Oh well, kinda disappointed for Drury, but letters are largely inconsequential anyway.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Anyone read what Brian Burke said about Drury not getting a letter?

Quote:
“Leaders lead,” Burke said. “Leaders don’t need letters to lead. Ron Wilson and I were co-captains together in college and it didn’t change one thing on how we acted when they put a C on us. So, to me leaders lead. If you need a letter to lead, then you’re not a leader anyhow. We know what Chris Drury can bring. He doesn’t need a letter. We’ve got a number of guys who are wearing letters in the NHL that aren’t going to wear a letter on this team. I wasn’t defensive at all about picking Chris Drury. In fact, every single guy — this will be illuminating for the people in the media that are skeptical about Chris Drury — every single guy on the selection committee had him on the team. So, I wasn’t defensive at all.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
94now

Drury should be happy he made a team.

As for NHL players participation in Olympics, I am against it. I understand Playing for Your Country hype, but I would re-instated Canada Cup or World Cup with NHL/NHLPA running it, not IIHF. This way it could be scheduled in off season and would serve as a preparation for the NHL camps in September.

Juniors as well as retired NHLed should play in the Olympics. 20 year old with some SC champions on the same team. Not bad.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Drury should be happy he made a team.

As for NHL players participation in Olympics, I am against it. I understand Playing for Your Country hype, but I would re-instated Canada Cup or World Cup with NHL/NHLPA running it, not IIHF. This way it could be scheduled in off season and would serve as a preparation for the NHL camps in September.

Juniors as well as retired NHLed should play in the Olympics. 20 year old with some SC champions on the same team. Not bad.
Agreed. It would basically be the World Junior Championships but on a larger scale... and we all know how exciting that was.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:12 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agreed. It would basically be the World Junior Championships but on a larger scale... and we all know how exciting that was.
See, I can respect the idea that the NHL is the reason these guys are able to make gobs of money and so that should take priority. I don't really agree, but I can respect it.

This argument, however, doesn't make any sense. First of all, the WJCs are already on a global scale. How much larger can you get? Secondly, if the goal is to get people interested and to exhibit the best brand of hockey, then it behooves you to use the best talent.

Yes, the WJCs were incredibly exciting. So were the last Olympics, and the ones before that and the ones before that. As long as the players care, then the games are going to be exciting.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Agreed, and amateur players would be awesome. Imagine the WJC on the Olympic scale? Good heavens.
They used to try that but Russia never complied.

The 1988 US Olympic team had a ton of talent (Leetch, Richter, Young, Granato, Stevens, Janney, Millen) but they were always playing veteran Euro-squads. It was sad to see these young kids get picked apart by the KLM line and Slava on defense.

IMO, they should keep it the way it used to be: There is basically no gap from Russian pros/amatreurs not in the NHL to Canadian/American pros/amateurs not in the NHL.

I mean, is Zherdev and Morozov light years better than Hodgson and Eberle? Probably not.

Go back to the old system. I hate the NHL season shutting down.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agreed.

The teams that are competitive in the WJC are the same ones that are competitive in professional tournaments: US, Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia. So I don't see any difference in competitiveness. I don't see how it would be less exciting with equally competitive amateur teams.

The Soviets used to dominate Olympic hockey, but the tournaments were still popular. Canada being the odds-on favorite each year wouldn't impact the excitement at all, IMO. Provides for more memorable moments when they're upset.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Screw hockey in the olympics - going to take away from the spectacle of watching Curling.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
See, I can respect the idea that the NHL is the reason these guys are able to make gobs of money and so that should take priority. I don't really agree, but I can respect it.

This argument, however, doesn't make any sense. First of all, the WJCs are already on a global scale. How much larger can you get? Secondly, if the goal is to get people interested and to exhibit the best brand of hockey, then it behooves you to use the best talent.

Yes, the WJCs were incredibly exciting. So were the last Olympics, and the ones before that and the ones before that. As long as the players care, then the games are going to be exciting.
Your point that the WJC is on a global scale is correct. But it is not close to what it would be if you put it during the Olympics.

90 percent of all people in the US and most other countries dont even know the WJC exists.

I would also argue that using the best players can make things more boring. It may sound crazy, but the Professional defensemen are so good a lot of the times that offense is diminished drastically.

The pace of the WJC games are much great than Professional games. The play is more open and very exciting.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
I personally disagree, I think the whole point of the Olympics should be the absolute best of the best at their sport, which would be the NHL and KHL players. They already have the WJC's for the junior and college kids. Olympics is for the big boys haha
The BS is that everyone besides North Americans was allowed to use professionals while the US and Canada had to use college and jr players.

This line of thinking is so contradictory. You basically say Drury is on the team for leadership but he doesn't get a letter. If he's a leader, make him a leader. Neidermeyer is Neidermeyer. He doesn't need a letter to make an impact or talk to officials. Guess what? Neidermeyer has a letter. Lidstrom has a letter. Messier had letters. I still think Bufylign(?) should have made the team over Drury especially considering Burke's style of play. Of course it seems like Burke's other M.O. is to placate certain players that serve under certain coaches of certain coaching staffs.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote