HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Emery expects to return Saturday

Old
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You say this as if Leighton doesn't do this with consistency...
Not as much as Boucher IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I would have no problem with this if we weren't dealing with a decision that will have potential point-of-no-return consequences. You waive either guy and (as Leighton can attest from experience) there's a very good chance they won't be in the organization anymore.
And there lies the problem with not signing a veteran to play in Adirondack with Backlund this season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not as much as Boucher IMO
Disagree there...the slot rebound with Leighton is frequent. With Boucher the rebounds are just all over the place.

Quote:
And there lies the problem with not signing a veteran to play in Adirondack with Backlund this season.
I'm not sure how that has any impact on the Flyers salary cap issues and the waiver rules.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'd be happy to wager a beer that once Parent is back that Leighton stays and Boucher is waived.
I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest. Doesn't mean it's the right move.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Disagree there...the slot rebound with Leighton is frequent. With Boucher the rebounds are just all over the place.

I'm not sure how that has any impact on the Flyers salary cap issues and the waiver rules.
While in the AHL he wouldn't have any impact on the cap so there's no issue.

As for waivers, it depends on who you sign. There were available goalies in the off season that could have been signed who aren't yet subject to waivers (Mike Brodeur comes to mind off the top of my head).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest. Doesn't mean it's the right move.
That statement was directed at Valhoun's post that once Parent is back that "Leighton gets a hearty handshake and a bus ticket out of town".

Old
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
While in the AHL he wouldn't have any impact on the cap so there's no issue.

As for waivers, it depends on who you sign. There were available goalies in the off season that could have been signed who aren't yet subject to waivers (Mike Brodeur comes to mind off the top of my head).
Right but that's all kind of irrelevant to this decision at this point in time. I think they completely dropped the ball on the goaltending situation from the word go. However, very few teams have the luxury of having a guy like Clemmenson that they can stash in the AHL that you'd actually want to ride for any length of time if necessary...

Old
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Boucher hasnt been amazing as people are saying in here. Remember his first few games? He looked like he wouldnt even get an ahl job. Oh and Boucher wasnt as amazing during our losing streak either. I think its unfair to blame just the players on that, and exclude the goalie. Dont you think its alittle strange that when we get Leighton and play him, the team "all of a sudden" understands the system and starts playing good hockey? Thats one hell of a coincidence if it is.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Boucher hasnt been amazing as people are saying in here. Remember his first few games? He looked like he wouldnt even get an ahl job. Oh and Boucher wasnt as amazing during our losing streak either. I think its unfair to blame just the players on that, and exclude the goalie. Dont you think its alittle strange that when we get Leighton and play him, the team "all of a sudden" understands the system and starts playing good hockey? Thats one hell of a coincidence if it is.
Who has claimed he was amazing?

I don't think it's a coincidence...I think Leighton got to come in at the perfect time. Things were starting look better before he got in, and then they really started to turn around.

Also got to play @TB, @CAR, @NYI, @NYR, @BOS, @OTT (pulled), TOR, @PIT, TB.

That's not exactly a murders row. Carolina is the worst offensive team in the league, Boston is 28th in scoring, Rangers are 27th, TB is 26th...I mean, no, it's not all that shocking that they turned it around some against that group...or that those teams didn't put up a lot of goals.

Old
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I am indifferent but saying Leighton "put us in a position to win" is crazy. For awhile Boucher was lights out giving us the exact same chance, except no one was scoring. Boucher lost games 1-0, 2-0, 3-2(ot), 2-1

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
fire bettman

While I am on Leighton's side of the fence here, why don't we all take a step back and look at the situation.... it's pretty obvious what is going to happen here. Unless Leighton all of a sudden starts letting in goals every other shot, Boosh will be waved.

Honestly.... I don't get where all the Boosh side taking is coming from. Even during his run of good games there, everyone was complaining about the kind of goals he was letting in. Boosh has been disappointing this season and incredibly inconsistent. Leighton, on the other hand, has not had a single disappointing game here. And, honestly, he looks wayyyyy more composed in net then I have seen from Boosh thus far... and no one really knows his potential because he hasn't been able to stick with a team for long enough. I think it would be foolish for anyone to think that this couldn't be Leighton's time where he finds his game and becomes the goalie that no one ever thought he could be.

If I'm Homer, I'm looking at how well Leighton has been playing and his mere 300k cap hit vs. how inconsistent Boosh has been and his Leighton x 3 cap hit.

Just sayin'.... don't be surprised when Boosh gets put on waivers.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
While I am on Leighton's side of the fence here, why don't we all take a step back and look at the situation.... it's pretty obvious what is going to happen here. Unless Leighton all of a sudden starts letting in goals every other shot, Boosh will be waved.

Honestly.... I don't get where all the Boosh side taking is coming from. Even during his run of good games there, everyone was complaining about the kind of goals he was letting in. Boosh has been disappointing this season and incredibly inconsistent. Leighton, on the other hand, has not had a single disappointing game here. And, honestly, he looks wayyyyy more composed in net then I have seen from Boosh thus far... and no one really knows his potential because he hasn't been able to stick with a team for long enough. I think it would be foolish for anyone to think that this couldn't be Leighton's time where he finds his game and becomes the goalie that no one ever thought he could be.

If I'm Homer, I'm looking at how well Leighton has been playing and his mere 300k cap hit vs. how inconsistent Boosh has been and his Leighton x 3 cap hit.

Bold are the lies.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post

Agreed on most of your points, Leighton has been better than Boucher thus far. I don't really know how anyone can debate this. Doubt Boosh is getting waived though, back-up's have to be able to play cold and infrequently and Leighton has not demonstrated this ability for anyone in his career.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Bold are the lies.
So true. People have short memories. How many of Boucher's games involved him being the only player to show up for the game? Leighton is getting the wins because the team isn't playing like 20 retards fighting over 19 hugs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
So true. People have short memories. How many of Boucher's games involved him being the only player to show up for the game? Leighton is getting the wins because the team isn't playing like 20 retards fighting over 19 hugs.
To completely negate that Leighton had anything to do with any of those wins is really shortsighted. Is Leights the sole reason why they are winning games right now? Certainly not, but he's certainly played a role and has made some big saves when called upon to seal the deal in some of those games (the Pittsburgh game comes to mind).

Old
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
To completely negate that Leighton had anything to do with any of those wins is really shortsighted. Is Leights the sole reason why they are winning games right now? Certainly not, but he's certainly played a role and has made some big saves when called upon to seal the deal in some of those games (the Pittsburgh game comes to mind).
I can't think of a game off the top of my head that Leighton has literally stolen for us.

I can think of a few Boosh would have stolen for us had our offense given him anything at all.

Think of it this way. Tomas Vokoun, a very talented goaltender, has a record of 13-14-7 behind a terrible team. Meanwhile Christobal Huet, a much weaker goaltender, has a record of 20-8-3 behind a stacked playoff competitor.

Likewise, Boucher has a record of 4-11-1 behind the NHL basement version of the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers while Leighton has a record of 7-0-1 behind the playoff competitor version of the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
First, it was a retard joke. Just let it be and soak up its glory.

Second, Matt Carle has made just as many big saves as Leighton.

Old
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
While I am still uncontrollably laughing over that analogy.... A lot of people on this board are forgetting how weak Boosh looked in the last couple of games before the injury. I'm not saying that Leights wouldn't start looking pretty bad if the team started playing like that again. I'm just saying even though the team has been playing well in front of him, he's been playing well also, and I think it's absurd for anyone to say he hasn't. He deserves some credit for those wins. It's not like if we forced crazy ass Chico Resch out of retirement and put him in between the pipes we would have had the same results.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 08:30 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I can't think of a game off the top of my head that Leighton has literally stolen for us.

I can think of a few Boosh would have stolen for us had our offense given him anything at all.

Think of it this way. Tomas Vokoun, a very talented goaltender, has a record of 13-14-7 behind a terrible team. Meanwhile Christobal Huet, a much weaker goaltender, has a record of 20-8-3 behind a stacked playoff competitor.

Likewise, Boucher has a record of 4-11-1 behind the NHL basement version of the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers while Leighton has a record of 7-0-1 behind the playoff competitor version of the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers.
So you are completely negating the Ottawa game where Boucher gave up 5 goals in 2 periods behind the "playoff competitor version of the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers"? The Flyers came storming back in that game and were rewarded with a goaltending outing of a beer league goalie.

Frankly I'm really surprised at all of the Leighton hate given that the team is winning games with him in net. The team is winning yet people still find something to b**ch and moan about.

Old
01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
So you are completely negating the Ottawa game where Boucher gave up 5 goals in 2 periods behind the "playoff competitor version of the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers"? The Flyers came storming back in that game and were rewarded with a goaltending outing of a beer league goalie.

Frankly I'm really surprised at all of the Leighton hate given that the team is winning games with him in net. The team is winning yet people still find something to b**ch and moan about.
Because there are still some smoke and mirrors. It's like all the people who were *****ing about the last few seasons saying things like, "We have an unreasonably high shooting percentage, when that comes down to Earth, we will struggle" or "Biron just put up a .939 for the entire month, that can't be maintained" or "we are getting outshot 35 to 25 every game, we can't continue winning like that." The people who have been saying those things, and certainly other things, were told to **** off by a lot of people. But, guess what? They were absolutely right. This team is going to need an answer when Leighton wakes up and realizing he is Leighton. The defense won't always be there to take up his slack. Hell, a good goalie should be taking some of the defense's slack from time to time.

Pointing out what isn't sustainable and separating that from what the team is actually doing well is just something that people who pay close attention to games do.

Old
01-12-2010, 12:56 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Because there are still some smoke and mirrors. It's like all the people who were *****ing about the last few seasons saying things like, "We have an unreasonably high shooting percentage, when that comes down to Earth, we will struggle" or "Biron just put up a .939 for the entire month, that can't be maintained" or "we are getting outshot 35 to 25 every game, we can't continue winning like that." The people who have been saying those things, and certainly other things, were told to **** off by a lot of people. But, guess what? They were absolutely right. This team is going to need an answer when Leighton wakes up and realizing he is Leighton. The defense won't always be there to take up his slack. Hell, a good goalie should be taking some of the defense's slack from time to time.

Pointing out what isn't sustainable and separating that from what the team is actually doing well is just something that people who pay close attention to games do.
I am not saying that Leighton is the second coming of Bernie Parent. As somone who watches goaltenders more than anything else on the ice I've been watching Leighton very closely (contrary to your insinuation that I don't pay close attention to the games) and his play absolutely has improved from the start of the season (games I've watched on Center Ice), from his first game as a Flyer and today. I don't see any reason why his play cannot continue to improve with additional time with Jeff Reese.

This said there were plenty of people that made comments like you have made about the likes of Craig Anderson, Tim Thomas and others only to see them both develop late in their career. Again I'm not saying that's going to happen with Leighton, but at the salary he is earning this season, there's no reason not to see how much better he can get and keep him on board as the Flyers backup, especially when we know exactly what we have with Boucher (a completely inconsistent goalie who at times couldn't stop a beach ball).

Your comments about Leighton waking up and realizing he is Leighton are just laughable. There have been plenty of players that took advantage of an opportunity and never looked back. Is that going to happen with Leighton? Probably not, but to completely dismiss it is extremely pessimistic, although not surprising of someone who needs to find something to complain about during a good stretch of games.

The funny thing as I look back at your posts you made a comment about needing a goalie with playoff experience in case we need to call upon him, thus your reason for wanting to keep Boucher. You do realize that said goalie Brian Boucher had no NHL playoff experience when he put up a 2.03 GAA and a .917 save %age, right?

Old
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So wait, is Emery back with the team now or still in ADK?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So wait, is Emery back with the team now or still in ADK?
He's backing up Leighton tonight.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote