HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher or Leighton

View Poll Results: Do you keep Boucher or Leighton
Boucher 35 37.63%
Leighton 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM

vCash: 500
Boucher or Leighton

The first rumblings of us potentially waiving Boucher have begun to emerge after Leighton's strong showings, but what in your eyes is the best move?

For me, i'd keep Boucher. Leighton is clearly the hot hand, but we've already seen how utterly abysmal he can be when he's off form. If he's playing back-up to Emery, then he's more likely to show this form than the current.

One has been a more than competent NHL back-up for years, the other...not so.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:03 PM
flountown

We have Bouch under a real contract, I am sure Leighton knows the score, hang around til he goes cold, sit in the press box until we are sure that Emery is back to 100% and then hope his recent play is good enough to get picked up by a contender when he gets waived by the Flyers.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
The first rumblings of us potentially waiving Boucher have begun to emerge after Leighton's strong showings, but what in your eyes is the best move?

For me, i'd keep Boucher. Leighton is clearly the hot hand, but we've already seen how utterly abysmal he can be when he's off form. If he's playing back-up to Emery, then he's more likely to show this form than the current.

One has been a more than competent NHL back-up for years, the other...not so.
I'd rather they keep Boucher. But I think they really will keep Leighton. Big cap savings and it's obvious that the coaching staff likes the guy.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Im pretty indifferent, but slight edge to Boucher

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
LeMAD

Halak imo.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Im pretty indifferent, but slight edge to Boucher
I too am pretty indifferent, but I prefer Leighton. Boucher is the better over all goalie in the abstract, but in the context of this team's defense, it would appear Leighton's skill set is the better fit (he's a very good first shot goalie).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
No offense (really, unlike all of my other posts) but I would be shocked if the votes weren't split by those who have seen Leighton play over the past few seasons and those who really have only seen him play here.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
The Flyers have to decide how much having Boucher under contract next year is worth. Is it work the $900K, or is it work the extra cap space to find someone else for less (and more for Emery or someone else), even if that's Leighton? The first time Leighton was here, Holmgren felt he could be a legit NHL backup. The Flyers misplayed the market for goalies last year, they either see an opportunity to fix it, or thankful that they caught a break. Sooner or later the magic will run out for Leighton.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Boosh 33
Leighton 28 yrs old

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Keep both for now but definitely don't trade Boucher. He didn't do anything wrong to warrant him being waived- though I suppose if he isn't going to be played he deserves the chance to play elsewhere. I think Boucher is the better backup, he was playing well it's just the team sucked.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers have to decide how much having Boucher under contract next year is worth. Is it work the $900K, or is it work the extra cap space to find someone else for less (and more for Emery or someone else), even if that's Leighton? The first time Leighton was here, Holmgren felt he could be a legit NHL backup. The Flyers misplayed the market for goalies last year, they either see an opportunity to fix it, or thankful that they caught a break. Sooner or later the magic will run out for Leighton.
How did they misplay the market?

Mr. I want $5m a year over 4 years is now the odd man out in NYI.

If Biron asked for $3m I think we would've signed him. I think we handled it the best we could and ended up lucking out.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Leighton has been better than anyone I've seen in our net in a while. Unfortunately I doubt he plays anywhere near this well in a back-up role. He seems to really fight the puck as a true back-up. Although he does over commit on occasion, I really don't see anywhere near the flaws in his game that some other posters do. Hopefully he doesn't come down to Earth anytime soon...good goaltending is a nice problem to have for a change.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
fire bettman

I'd like to keep all three of them for a while but I doubt that's financially possible so my vote is for Leights... I'm willing to take the risk of keeping him and hope he is a good goalie who is just a late bloomer (and not just lucky like half of the people on these boards seem to think) for 300k.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I voted Leighton, but I feel like whoever is hot (who right now is Leighton) should be kept. Six of one, half dozen of the other IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I voted Leighton, but I feel like whoever is hot (who right now is Leighton) should be kept. Six of one, half dozen of the other IMO.
Pretty much. They have the same exact career save percentage and they've both had terrible and good years. I think this may be a terrible year for Boucher as he has already played well over half the amount of games he played the last 2 years and his numbers are way down. They both suck equally but one is hot. With backups that is all you need.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Come to think of it, i'd actually like to see us go back for Marty Biron.

Emery/Biron > Emery/Leighton/Boucher

Would cost about the same too.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Come to think of it, i'd actually like to see us go back for Marty Biron.

Emery/Biron > Emery/Leighton/Boucher

Would cost about the same too.
Meh lets leave the Biron saga behind us.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
I'd like to keep all three of them for a while but I doubt that's financially possible.
Would someone be kind enough to explain why it's not? I mean specifically and down to the number. Goal is kiiinnnd of an important position, and there's a ton of uncertainty right now, so I'd think it would be extremely important to let the dust settle before picking 2 out of 3. Even if you have to make sacrifices among the F & D.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
hope he is a good goalie who is just a late bloomer (and not just lucky like half of the people on these boards seem to think)
I've been thinking about that more and more. Goalie is such a funny position and a lot of good ones come out of nowhere. I'm sure there's less than a 10% chance that's the case with Leighton, but still 10% is 10%.

Looking at his career, he only really was given a shot two times before now. The first time was on a Chicago team that was the second worst team in the league. That's not gonna build your confidence. The second time was last season on a good Carolina team. No defending that stint, but still, that's his only legitimate failure.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
No offense (really, unlike all of my other posts) but I would be shocked if the votes weren't split by those who have seen Leighton play over the past few seasons and those who really have only seen him play here.
This. With that said:

Backup- Boucher.

Starter- If for whatever reason one had to play as our starter, Leighton.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Guilty. But, since that's all I have to go on... Leighton it is.

In reality, I'm hoping Emery is back to his first few games form and this will be a moot issue.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Kaktus*

Very disappointed with Boucher this season. imo He did not do what NHL back up suppose to do.

Wish we still had Frank.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
yeah before we got him again I thought of him as the worst goalie in the NHL besides McEhinally or whatever that dude on Calgary is called.

I still prefer Boucher, but Leighton is a great AHL goalie, maybe he is finally becoming a decent backup

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
BrindamoursNose

Leighton is a really cheap cap option...if you can get Boucher down to the Phantoms and save cap space...I'm thinking Michael. BUT, I don't trust Michael (Jesus) Leighton fully. We'll see.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Leighton is a really cheap cap option...if you can get Boucher down to the Phantoms and save cap space...I'm thinking Michael. BUT, I don't trust Michael (Jesus) Leighton fully. We'll see.
I don't really see how you can trust Boucher any more than Leigthon. They both have terrible career save % of .899, Boucher has a few extra years of being mediocre in the old NHL. And well they both are back ups at best but one is cheaper, younger, and playing better this year. Neither one has a better long term track record.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote