HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So why are we playing better?

Old
01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
True. You'd think he'd try to work on that aspect of his game as PKers that can contribute a bit of offense from a bottom 6 line generally find themselves with a paycheck year after year. Not that it is an easy skill to develop.
I would hope everyone on the team is working to improve themselves, but this is a tough team to crack the PK mix on...and when you watch really good PK'ers, it just seems like there's something intuitive about how they play D...something that just can't be taught/acquired.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I would hope everyone on the team is working to improve themselves, but this is a tough team to crack the PK mix on...and when you watch really good PK'ers, it just seems like there's something intuitive about how they play D...something that just can't be taught/acquired.
I just checked the penalties drawn stats. Carcillo and Richards are kicking ass. Carter is a big bag of fail.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/5_on...=10&team=&pos=

Carcillo: 10 taken and 17 drawn (obviously, coincidentals are ignored).

Richards: 8 taken and 21 drawn.

Carter: 14 taken and 5 drawn.

Briere: 12 taken and 12 drawn.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
gagne

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
I just checked the penalties drawn stats. Carcillo and Richards are kicking ass. Carter is a big bag of fail.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/5_on...=10&team=&pos=

Carcillo: 10 taken and 17 drawn (obviously, coincidentals are ignored).

Richards: 8 taken and 21 drawn.

Carter: 14 taken and 5 drawn.

Briere: 12 taken and 12 drawn.
Difficult to draw penalties when all you do is skate into the slot and then try to go around the guy to the right and rip off a wrist shot.

Last year when Carter was playing well he was doing a much better job of going to his backhand side more often...this year he's back to skating down into a bad angle with regularity.

In general, I don't think Carter will ever draw too many penalties...he isn't a ******* out there, and he's mostly playing for his shot as opposed to going through/around guys (where you draw penalties as an offensive player). If he's scoring goals, though, whatever.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Difficult to draw penalties when all you do is skate into the slot and then try to go around the guy to the right and rip off a wrist shot.

Last year when Carter was playing well he was doing a much better job of going to his backhand side more often...this year he's back to skating down into a bad angle with regularity.

In general, I don't think Carter will ever draw too many penalties...he isn't a ******* out there, and he's mostly playing for his shot as opposed to going through/around guys (where you draw penalties as an offensive player). If he's scoring goals, though, whatever.
To be honest, I don't really care how many he draws. Like you said, he doesn't have the type of game that will draw many. But it would be nice if his penalties taken were a bit lower.

Also, a total fluke statistic but Bartulis is on the ice for a ton of penalties drawn for the team, even though he almost never draws a penalty himself.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
To be honest, I don't really care how many he draws. Like you said, he doesn't have the type of game that will draw many. But it would be nice if his penalties taken were a bit lower.
I would be curious how it looks in splits. As a team, penalties seem to be down a ton...and Carter does not leap to mind with reckless/stupid penalties like his two linemates do. He takes his penalties, but Briere/Hartnell put their stick on guys for no apparent reason (historically), which I wouldn't say of Carter.

Quote:
Also, a total fluke statistic but Bartulis is on the ice for a ton of penalties drawn for the team, even though he almost never draws a penalty himself.
Am I the only one expecting/waiting for Bartulis to just get blasted with a devastating hit soon? I think he's been a fine third pairing rookie, but he just sort of looks like he's on the verge of getting blown up in a bad way and it hasn't quite happened yet.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Am I the only one expecting/waiting for Bartulis to just get blasted with a devastating hit soon? I think he's been a find third pairing rookie, but he just sort of looks like he's on the verge of getting blown up in a bad way and it hasn't quite happened yet.
I kind of feel that way too. He's so lanky and sometimes puts himself in a spot where you really fear for him haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
I would be curious how it looks in splits. As a team, penalties seem to be down a ton...and Carter does not leap to mind with reckless/stupid penalties like his two linemates do. He takes his penalties, but Briere/Hartnell put their stick on guys for no apparent reason (historically), which I wouldn't say of Carter.
As would I. As purely anecdotal evidence, I seem to remember Carter taking a lot of his penalties when the game is out of reach one way or the other which obviously leads them to be forgotten pretty quickly.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Maybe it was just the simple words of Holmgren saying there wont be any trades, that it was up to this group to figure it out and get out of this funk.
Wasnt it right around the time that they went on this 8-1-1 run?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
The players have finally learned the ins and outs of Laviolette's system. When it's done right, it works to perfection. I don't really want to question it, I just want it to keep on going.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:05 PM
BerubeBox*

I don't know the answer but I think they're playing the way they should be. The more you look back at the slump (and compare it with their current play) it's amazing how much they were just floundering. I hope we don't see that team again.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I don't know the answer but I think they're playing the way they should be. The more you look back at the slump (and compare it with their current play) it's amazing how much they were just floundering. I hope we don't see that team again.
I would be curious what the team looked like in Carolina when they got Laviolette fired. Obviously I only saw the games against us with them, and we routinely played bizarre games with them due to the clash of up tempo games. Difficult to judge.

I imagine if the wheels come off this club at this point, it will be a different sort of train wreck than we saw before. One thing that makes me twitchy with this group is that they try a lot of breakouts that can easily turn into bad situations if missed connections happen.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
The players have finally learned the ins and outs of Laviolette's system. When it's done right, it works to perfection. I don't really want to question it, I just want it to keep on going.
bingo. If they were learning the system in september and not december, it would be way different.
Posted via Mobile Device

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Jester

I will say that while the offensive side of the game has seen marked improvement the last 10 games, and particularly in the last 5 or so...they still have some work to do defensively. Not quite all on the same page in their own zone yet.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I believe they are playing Lavi's system to the T.

They still are making home run passes in the neutral zone which I hate. Like Jester said, if missed connections happen we have trouble. However, these passes are starting to come to an end. Perhaps Lavi has been telling them to watch on those passes? Which is a great thing. Sometimes I think they still have Stevens in their play. Bad habits will pass if need be.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Absolutely. Because most of the top forwards also play on the PK, they didn't have the time/energy/chance to create offensively if they had to kill off a ton of penalties.

Outside of getting healthy, I think a lot of it hinges on Laviolette. They're playing up tempo hockey and working hard, and they're not taking the stupid lazy penalties we saw so much earlier on. They're back to getting some bounces that typically come from working hard.

The forwards are told to be creative in the offensive zone, which has allowed guys like Briere and Giroux to do the things they're best at.
One thing I've kind of wondered when people have mentioned this recently, is isn't being creative what has led to no look passes and trying to be fancy, which people remark on here from time to time is a negative? I don't have a problem with them being creative I thought I would just point that out. Nothing personal .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I kind of feel that way too. He's so lanky and sometimes puts himself in a spot where you really fear for him haha.
In the Pittsburgh game he was in our own zone trying to defend against someone who was behind our net and he cross checked them in the back like 3 times lol. It wasn't very effective but it was funny.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-11-2010 at 04:05 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Maybe it was just the simple words of Holmgren saying there wont be any trades, that it was up to this group to figure it out and get out of this funk.
Wasnt it right around the time that they went on this 8-1-1 run?
Yes I think it was. Good point.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
One thing I've kind of wondered when people have mentioned this recently, is isn't being creative what has led to no look passes and trying to be fancy, which people remark on here from time to time is a negative? I don't have a problem with them being creative I thought I would just point that out. Nothing personal .
From the opposing blue line in, be as creative as you want (with the caveat that everyone continues to have their role and spot to be to a certain extent). The problem is when all you got is creativity...if it's a bunch of players, individually, playing with creativity it leads to inconsistency and problems.

Old
01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
They still are making home run passes in the neutral zone which I hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
One thing I've kind of wondered when people have mentioned this recently, is isn't being creative what has led to no look passes and trying to be fancy, which people remark on here from time to time is a negative?
Here's my take on it.

When you watch an old game say from the 70s, you really notice a big difference in what the players are doing. The shots look all crappy and the rushes look incredibly simple. You're thinking to yourself these guys would get crushed by a junior team today. That's just the evolution of playing styles (and also individual skills, but that isn't my point). Each season the teams think up new ways to adapt to each other and gain advantages. Over the past 40 years it's been one new strategy on top of another and it's built up to what it is today.

I think that's what it is. For example how many times in recent games have you noticed Briere moving through the neutral zone on a broken play, where it looks like he's lost the puck, only to be amazed when he keeps moving forward and eventually gets it back and gets a chance? You thought for sure he would have just given up on it. That's risk paying off. I think risk is a big part of today's offense. You have to try to stay one step ahead of the other teams and if that means not playing conservatively, so be it.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
FlyingPhish

i really just think (like most of you) that everything just seems to FINALLY be falling into place. clearly the way the team has been playing as of late goaltending wasn't the issue. hopefully with ray coming back soon he can get himself on a nice hot streak.

playing and understanding lavi's system seems to be another big factor. i love the shake up he has done with this team, good riddance to stevens.

FlyingPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Mr Oysterhead

The answer to this question is definitely not Braydon Coburn.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
The answer to this question is definitely not Braydon Coburn.
Win.

Old
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
MojoJojo

Leighton. Its weird that the guy who was considered the worst goaltender in the league is the one who has saved our bacon and has carried us through this stretch. Sure the forwards are scoring again, but without the ability to rely on the goalie to take care of business in the defensive end, I'm not sure that they would be producing like they have.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
BernieParent

Having Leighton leading this team to victory is like watching an ABC After-School Special. It's mind-boggling that Leighton has backstopped the team to an 8-1-1 record. I remember seeing posts at the beginning of the year saying that if Emery is on the shelf for any extended period of time and the Flyers have to lean on Boucher, they will be toast. Imagine if we foresaw that Emery and Boucher went on the DL and Holmgren picked up Michael Lay-Down off waivers to be the first stringer. There would have been a suicide watch!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Gert B Frobe

Improved health, conditioning and system play. Seems like Carle is perfect for this system. I have never played hockey at a high level or pretend to understand the nuances of different systems - but it's obvious just watching games that the defense seems to be really improving on when to/not to push the play and/or pinch.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote