Steiner to Columbus?

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news...id=8566&navi=1

For a try-out?

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:35 AM
swissy

vCash: 500
Yes its a contract to play in the training camp. Steiner had to cancel his contract with the Langnau Tigers and would be a free agent in case Columbus doesn't want him. The article mentions that in this case some Swedish teams might be interested in him.

swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:11 AM
torero

Another swiss mercenary ! That is what we were 6 to 7 hundreds of years ago ! mercenaries !!

let's skate back to our roots !!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:08 PM
AV50

Anyone know anything about this guy?

AV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:44 PM
swissy

Pretty good sniper, not too bad of a skater either. Don't expect too much phisicality of him, but he can definitely go close to the net to score. He's been plagued by injuries throughout his carreer so consistancy has been a bit of an issue for him.

I really hope he exceeds expectations at the camp so that he's at least given a AHL contract. The fact that he gave up a good contract in the Swiss league to play on American ice shows that he's willing to sacrifice and put a lot of effort in his works. He can only win at the CBJ training camp.

swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
keithLGA

Steiner is currently playing with the Rochester Americans in the AHL, just wanted to share an article I wrote about him... the guy is trying to live out his dream, a great story IMO

http://letsgoamerks.com/2010/01/08/d...-living-dream/

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Nice read.

This guy is teaching a lesson to players who are way more talented but don't have a tenth of his character.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Nice read.

This guy is teaching a lesson to players who are way more talented but don't have a tenth of his character.
Yeah, it's a great story. The guy is 29, could get way more money in Europe but decides to go to North America and try and make the NHL, even if it means playing in the ECHL and the AHL.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:21 AM
torero

Great story!

Great to write this story keithLGA.

It is a bit like my story in K1 ! i started fighting sports when i was 16years old ! too late some people told me. I went to Thailand to train Muay thai when i was 26. too old some people told me. I also studied post grade stuff when i was 33 ! too late some people told me again. I remaried when i was 40 years old. Again too late to rebuild a family some people told me.

Today i am 44, and I did more things in my life than 90% of the population, saw more countries, had greater jobs, was champion, created companies, rose families (2), speak several languages, grew martial arts students who were almost champions (vice champion of France in french boxing)

The fire that is burning Steiner, will be burning in him in other disciplines. As keithLGA says, it is a lesson of life. This fire is priceless for who ever lets it burn in him and has the courage to live by feeding it and living with it.

Regretfully i never played hockey, one of the only fires that i didn't let burn in me for maybe silly reasons.

Great stuff Steiner ... keep never giving up.
Respect.

Old
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
koh19

Damn, imagine if, by some random reason, Steiner got called up to play a few games with the Florida Panthers, what would Ralph Krueger, the swiss national team coach, look like? Steiner isn't even on the list of players that would be chosen for the Olympics in case of an injury.

That would be one hell of slap in the face for some people!

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Damn, imagine if, by some random reason, Steiner got called up to play a few games with the Florida Panthers, what would Ralph Krueger, the swiss national team coach, look like? Steiner isn't even on the list of players that would be chosen for the Olympics in case of an injury.

That would be one hell of slap in the face for some people!
I actually also had the same thing in mind !!

Would be another strong argument for the Kruger haters.

It is really surprising to see how effective he is in North America compared to Ambuhl !!

When i watch Steiner's games, he seems to be not only part of the game but really a key player. When i see Ambuhl (who is on the Swiss team, and I know what he is worth here over ! do not misunderstand me) he seems to be on an other planet than the guys he plays with !
(Steiner 8 points in 7 games (+at least 2 good screenings) vs Ambuhl 5 points in 39 games)

Yet Steiner will need some time to adjust to AHL to become more effective. He has some quality mates that are likely to be picked before him. I do not think that he may be picked before the Olympics ! avoiding the obvious embarrassment for whom we know !
Yet why not dream a story la Sexton (Ducks).

As for Ambuhl, he should move to another team. He seems to be already stronger on the puck ... he has progressed... no doubt. I am convinced that by playing simpler with a faster environment and on a better line, he could blossom like an edelweiss.
(the flower that blossoms in adversity is the most beautiful one; old Chinese proverbe)