HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with my decision

Old
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Hextall27

vCash: 500
Help with my decision

I've been asked to join a beer league team with a few guys I work with. I already play on one team but this is a completely new one, save for a few guys. The problem is we had a pick-up game and these players are FAR AND AWAY better than I am....its not even close.

This is my second season playing (Im 29) and Im just picking up the basics. Im a slightly below average skater and all around average RW. I am by far the worst on this roster. Some of these guys pass harder than I shoot and! My problem is I cant decide if I want to tell the guys "Thanks but No thanks" or try to learn by getting thrown to the wolves. I'm not a quitter but I can hardly keep up with the play and dont wanna be "that guy", but at the same time I like the idea of playing with elite players. Do any of You guys have any experience playing with guys that out class you? I think my best bet is to wait till I develop as a player a little more, then try to play with these guys. I dont want to be the outcast and not feel like Im actually part of the team. What do you think?

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
noobman

Depends on your personality and theirs.

- Will they pass the puck to you and give you chances, or pretend that you don't exist when you're on the ice?
- Are they fun and forgiving, or will they take it seriously and start yelling when you mess up?
- Will guys complain about you being there and slowing the game down, or will they welcome an extra body on the ice?

---

- Will you have fun playing with these guys if they're skating circles around you all the time and stripping you of the puck?
- Will you have fun being competitive and putting up points/making plays against them, but knowing in the back of your head that they're taking it easy on you?

Playing w/ good players is a good way o get better, but it can hurt your confidence if you keep getting outclassed.

I say go for it, but see if you can't squeeze in some games now and then with your old group. You might be surprised to see how good you become by just watching skilled players at ice level and mimicking what they do... from anticipating plays to faking passes/shots.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 2900
My opinion is that you should stick with your old team for now. Being the low man on the totem pole can be demoralizing and could actually ruin the fun for you, (assuming you enjoy playing on your old team). I'd suggest getting your skills developed a little more, and then revisiting an option like that later. On the other hand, as the poster above me said, you could develop your skills quicker. But it's all about fun my man.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
wondeROY

Have they seen you play? Do they know you're not on their skill level? Perhaps you're not as bad as you think and maybe they don't mind helping you improve your game. I would personally talk to them, let them know your feelings and see what they think. Communication is key here, before the season starts obviously.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
rinkrat22

here is the most important part to think of, they asked you to play with them. They have seen you play so either they dont care about your perceived abilities or they enjoy hanging out with you. so screw it. it will only help you get better. Just remember if someone on the bench between shifts is giving you advice listen up even if its something you already know. Maybe they saw a play develop that you didnt and are trying to help. enjoy the skate have fun, remember its BEER league. next thing you know you'll be danglin' thrown sauce and ringin crossies like an old vet.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
CanadaBacon

Aslong as you get decent ice time, the quality of your play will probably improve.

I say use this league as practice so you can dominate your original league

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
here is the most important part to think of, they asked you to play with them. They have seen you play so either they dont care about your perceived abilities or they enjoy hanging out with you. so screw it. it will only help you get better. Just remember if someone on the bench between shifts is giving you advice listen up even if its something you already know. Maybe they saw a play develop that you didnt and are trying to help. enjoy the skate have fun, remember its BEER league. next thing you know you'll be danglin' thrown sauce and ringin crossies like an old vet.
rinkrat, where do you play at in Chicago? Do you play at Johnny's Ice House?

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
rinkrat22

Out in the burbs.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall27 View Post
I've been asked to join a beer league team with a few guys I work with. I already play on one team but this is a completely new one, save for a few guys. The problem is we had a pick-up game and these players are FAR AND AWAY better than I am....its not even close.

This is my second season playing (Im 29) and Im just picking up the basics. Im a slightly below average skater and all around average RW. I am by far the worst on this roster. Some of these guys pass harder than I shoot and! My problem is I cant decide if I want to tell the guys "Thanks but No thanks" or try to learn by getting thrown to the wolves. I'm not a quitter but I can hardly keep up with the play and dont wanna be "that guy", but at the same time I like the idea of playing with elite players. Do any of You guys have any experience playing with guys that out class you? I think my best bet is to wait till I develop as a player a little more, then try to play with these guys. I dont want to be the outcast and not feel like Im actually part of the team. What do you think?
My advice would be that if they asked you to play with them they obviously do not care since they have seen you play already as the others here have mentioned.

The thing you should be concerned about are how you will look at being one of the worst players there. As posted above already by someone else, will they pass to you anyway to try and help you learn or will they ignore you out there?

The other thing to look at is as much as hockey is fun it is expensive to rent ice and they probably assume you will be a good payer and was why they asked you.

There are a lot of guys who are good or very good that you have to track down for the money which is lame and ridiculous. I am sure there is someone here reading this now who are one of those meatsticks. I hope you choke on a hockey puck!

Anyway back to the subject at hand, you seem comfortable with your old team. If that is the case maybe you could try to play with both if $$$ is available to do so.

I do know one thing for sure, playing with guys who have skill will teach you a lot more than the guys who are just out there playing pond hockey that don't know how to cycle or use the points properly.

It really is up to what you want out of hockey.

I try to play with guys better than me or equal so I can get better.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Hextall27

Thanks for the opinions guys. The biggest problem is that I DONT think these guys will be much help. I doubt they'll pass to me or help me along. I'm almost thirty and most of them are early twentys, I doubt they have any interest in helping me develop. I think they just want to win and show off their skills.

I am still skating with the other team, we're no where near as talented but its just a better group of guys and the guys on that team are more interested in helping me alone. Most of them fit in that player/coach mold.

The new team just doesnt have that feel, they are younger, very skilled and probably worse of all...they know theyre good so they have "that" attitude. I think I'm gonna play full time with the old team and play sparingly with the new one. It is a huge help though watching guys play who know the game. I also like the extra pressure of knowing I have to skate HARD every shift just to keep up. But, I appreciate the comments from everyone, alot of good info comes from these boards, especially "the rink" section. Thanks again.

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
thedoc1019

Quote:
But, I appreciate the comments from everyone, alot of good info comes from these boards, especially "the rink" section. Thanks again.
OT: I just have to say that I agree with this 100%, this site has helped me start out by telling how some skating maneuvers works and by helping me out with the equipment.This is an A+ hockey site!Sorry I just had to say that.

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:

I've got a bad feeling about this. . .

It's one thing to play pickup hockey with a bunch of friends who are better than you. It's all fun, some guys can show off while other guys coast and at some point they let the beginners skate end to end with the puck. When you get onto a league team, especially if it's above D level, the lighthearted attitude changes. Some guys will slam their stick for missing a shot on goal. Some may become impatient with you if you keep making the same bad play. And then you've got your opponents to worry about.

Keep in mind that you may be playing non-check hockey but collisions happen. It's much better to be skated into by a D level player than a B level player. It's also easier to block a shot made by a D player than a B player. Trust your gut instincts. Know your limits. And if this is a league you're probably making a commitment to play on this team through the season, come what may. If I were you I'd stay playing on your team and maybe ask the new team if you can skate with them when they practice. The extra skate will do you some good and you won't have to worry about being "that guy" during games when the stakes are higher.

edit: Didn't see the OP's latest post and didn't realize I took so long to type mine.

Last edited by EmptyNetter: 01-11-2010 at 10:11 PM.
EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post

It's one thing to play pickup hockey with a bunch of friends who are better than you. It's all fun, some guys can show off while other guys coast and at some point they let the beginners skate end to end with the puck. When you get onto a league team, especially if it's above D level, the lighthearted attitude changes. Some guys will slam their stick for missing a shot on goal. Some may become impatient with you if you keep making the same bad play. And then you've got your opponents to worry about.

Keep in mind that you may be playing non-check hockey but collisions happen. It's much better to be skated into by a D level player than a B level player. It's also easier to block a shot made by a D player than a B player. Trust your gut instincts. Know your limits. And if this is a league you're probably making a commitment to play on this team through the season, come what may. If I were you I'd stay playing on your team and maybe ask the new team if you can skate with them when they practice. The extra skate will do you some good and you won't have to worry about being "that guy" during games when the stakes are higher.
Most beer league teams (not all) dont have practice.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post

All good advice. Playing with guys a little better than you is good- but playing with guys way better can lead to awful results...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:22 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
You'd be surprised. I'm a D level player and our division has 6 teams. At least four have weekly pickup games if not organized practices. The more one team practices the more the other teams do to try and keep pace.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Our team has a two week bye, and we're busy scheduling practices.

Most of the team is afraid of getting fat in the two weeks... they're all in their 30s Little do they know that I play 3-4 times a week!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote