HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 20-goal scorers?

Old
01-11-2010, 11:12 PM
dashingsilverfox*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
To be fair though, of the teams that haven't had a high pick in the last 5 years, a couple still have left over matured high picks from earlier. Nice building blocks to move forward with. Not necessarily #1 overall, but a top 3.

SJ - Marleau - 2nd overall.

Vancouver - the Sedins - 2nd and 3rd overall.

Calgary may be up there now, but IMHO, I really don't think they're a threat to win the cup. Buffalo, yes, because of Miller.

So out of the top 8 teams, 6 of them have at least one top three overall pick on the roster as an important piece. It really does make a difference.
Yeah, no doubt but at this point I guess I would be happy with a team that "might" and any of those eight, "might"

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Yeah, no doubt but at this point I guess I would be happy with a team that "might" and any of those eight, "might"
Of course. I never insinuated otherwise.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
How many of those teams have won something? Theres only one winner there. I thought we were talking about winners.

Of the 8 you posted I think maybe 3 have a real shot (Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh). I still think Philly is in the hunt regardless of the current standings.
Don't think you can base it solely off the number of cups any of those teams have won. You've got to measure it by the leaps and bounds they've taken in improving.

Also, you don't think the Caps are in there with a shout along side the Pens, Sharks, and 'Hawks?

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
Don't think you can base it solely off the number of cups any of those teams have won. You've got to measure it by the leaps and bounds they've taken in improving.

Also, you don't think the Caps are in there with a shout along side the Pens, Sharks, and 'Hawks?
To be honest, any of those teams can win in any given year although the smart money would be on the top 2 in each division.

06 was an object lesson.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
6 of those teams might be building around players who went top-3, but those players aren't going to win you much without the collection of talent around them.

Kane and Toews have Seabrook, Sharp, Keith, etc who went later. Ovechkin and Backstrom have Semin, Green, Fleischmann, etc. Crosby and Malkin has Letang, Gologoski and Orpik.

I think we have some POTENTIAL complimentary pieces in Gagner, Eberle, Paajarvi, etc and a couple who are ready to be those pieces right now (Penner, Brule, Hemsky). We just need that one guy (Hall and Seguin are both good enough to be it, IMO).

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Ghostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
While I agree a Cup is the ultimate goal, I think icing a team that has a chance has to be the goal for almost every team.

I would be happy with a top 8 team, wouldn't you?
Yes for sure I would be happy with a top 8 team. However if they couldn't get past the 2nd round while placing top 3 in the league, I would start to ask for changes.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Ghostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post

Yeah the Capitals are considered contenders, I just don't think they will win the cup so I tend to not include them.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote