HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL investigating FSN Pittsburgh (UPDATE: employee suspended, post #83)

Old
01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
No. I'm saying that he had a very, very short window of time to make this conspiratorial decision.

Don't forget there are a lot of people in those rooms. Interns and whatnot who would end up wondering why they just watched "THE SHOT" and it wasn't plugged in to the official broadcast when it was so obviously important.
Those type of people were probably sitting there wondering that. It was a pretty long review, they had plenty of time to show it and didn't. FSN didn't show the angle until the next stoppage of play, but the angle wasn't really unavailable, because CSN had it.

There won't be any fine, though there should be. Still, why didn't the NHL have access to the CSN broadcast? They didn't have their own cameras because they didn't bring them, but they did have access to and showed that angle multiple times before the decision was made by Toronto. If the league tapped into both broadcast feeds they would have seen the angle they needed.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
RJNSmith

Even though I posted this article, I honestly though Toronto had every single camera angle for every game. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited by RJNSmith: 01-12-2010 at 10:04 AM.
RJNSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersSniper View Post
Even though I posted this article, I honestly though Tronton had every single camera angle for every game. Guess I was wrong.
Tronton?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:47 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Tronton?
Get it right. It's Trawnna.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:52 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersSniper View Post
Even though I posted this article, I honestly though Tronton had every single camera angle for every game. Guess I was wrong.
I thought he meant Trenton! Oy!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
RJNSmith

Sorry, I'm still 1/2 asleep. I did mean Toronto

RJNSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It's the NHL's own fault, I would have done the same thing if I was running FSN Pitt and I was a Pens fan.
I agree 100%, its a little thing called Home Ice Advantage, and although this maybe not be what you would typically think of as such a thing, I can't see any other teams TV station run by fans of that team doing anything drastically different given the right cirsumstances unfortunately

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I agree 100%, its a little thing called Home Ice Advantage, and although this maybe not be what you would typically think of as such a thing, I can't see any other teams TV station run by fans of that team doing anything drastically different given the right cirsumstances unfortunately
i'd bet there are rules already in place specifying that all angles must be sent to TO.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
I feel like something has to happen. The fourth tie breaker in NHL standings is goal differential. Yes, it's highly unlikely that the final standings will come to that, but it's possible.
Never mind that I have both Gagne and Richards in my pool, so it could cost me some prize money.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i'd bet there are rules already in place specifying that all angles must be sent to TO.
And I actually agree with the league on reviewing the goals centrally - it makes for consistent interpretation. The league instituted this because the replays weren't being called correctly in every city.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
I feel like something has to happen. The fourth tie breaker in NHL standings is goal differential. Yes, it's highly unlikely that the final standings will come to that, but it's possible.
You have a point, though the final score of the game was going to be 7-4 either way, in this case. Richards scored an empty netter and the Pens probably wouldn't have pulled Johnson had the Flyrs already been up 7-4.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You have a point, though the final score of the game was going to be 7-4 either way, in this case. Richards scored an empty netter and the Pens probably wouldn't have pulled Johnson had the Flyrs already been up 7-4.
This is a completely moot argument since you're talking about a totally hypothetical scenario.

Who's to say Gagne's goal doesn't spark some kind of landslide where the Flyers score 2 more or something?

Fact is, somebody dropped the ball big time on this and it looks really, really bad. I hope something is done about it...maybe the NHL will, you know, make sure they're actually getting all angles from here on out?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
What would Roger Goodell do if someone tried to **** him in the ass?

That's what Bettman could do. But, well, he doesn't have the balls.
He has the balls. Just one happens to be in Crosby's hand and the other in Ovy's

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Teezax

Something tells me the Penguins will somehow get a draft pick out of this

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
kicksave27

Theoretically, FNS pitts, is not actually the pens organization. Since they have a contract to do the games, I doubt they could actually do anything to the Pens for this. It's like the NFL fining Fox, not the Steelers. I do think Gagne should get credit for the goal, since Toronto said it should have counted if they were given the proper angle. They can change the scoring on goals after the game is over, why not this.

What the pens somehow cry poor mouth about this saying they should get more shared revenue from other teams to pay an actual decent broadcast crew. Just further proof the league is run by clowns.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Never mind that I have both Gagne and Richards in my pool, so it could cost me some prize money.
I lost this week by 2 points, a short handed assist from Coburn would have won me the game.

The Kansas City Penguins screw me again....

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
This is a completely moot argument since you're talking about a totally hypothetical scenario.

Who's to say Gagne's goal doesn't spark some kind of landslide where the Flyers score 2 more or something?

Fact is, somebody dropped the ball big time on this and it looks really, really bad. I hope something is done about it...maybe the NHL will, you know, make sure they're actually getting all angles from here on out?
Obviously somebody is at fault for misleading the war room in Toronto; I never disputed that. There should be a heavy punishment, though it shouldn't be applied to the Pens organization... this was FSN's fault.

Sure the comment was hypothetical, but so was the suggestion that the Flyers could be negatively affected by goal differential because Gagne's goal was called back; no one knows what would have happened if the goal was called good.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
BernieParent

My vote for an appropriate punishment is that the Flyers now have a goal against the Penguins in the "bank", which they can apply at any time during the regular season. Take that!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Something tells me the Penguins will somehow get a draft pick out of this

Bettman to award Pittsburgh 1st overall for payment of the trauma they had from the whole disallowed goal fiasco(E4)

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Theoretically, FNS pitts, is not actually the pens organization. Since they have a contract to do the games, I doubt they could actually do anything to the Pens for this. It's like the NFL fining Fox, not the Steelers. I do think Gagne should get credit for the goal, since Toronto said it should have counted if they were given the proper angle. They can change the scoring on goals after the game is over, why not this.

What the pens somehow cry poor mouth about this saying they should get more shared revenue from other teams to pay an actual decent broadcast crew. Just further proof the league is run by clowns.
there is no way they can do that, however fining them would make them think twice about doing this again.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I remember seeing not 30 seconds later, FSN showed the view that showed it perfect (the one where that one picture of the goalie's left pad and showed the puck in the net) and I remember thinking "how convenient. It honestly felt like they held back on that because for about 3-4 minutes they didn't show any replays whatsoever. I guess the War Room only gets feeds from the actual station and not a choice of each of their cameras in the arena. I hope FSN gets bit big time for this one though if they're definitely found "guilty." I've seen every team's feed over my 3 years with center ice, and even though some announcers are biased, I've never seen cameras that were.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:34 PM
iceman42

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...0.html?feed=12

Quote:
NHL officials confirmed today that this sort of investigation is rare, but stressed that the league can take no action because FSN Pittsburgh works with the Penguins and not for the league.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
That's bull. They directly interfered with a goal and the game. If a fan jumps onto the bench they get arrested because they're interfering with the game. Arrest FSN.

Old
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That's bull. They directly interfered with a goal and the game. If a fan jumps onto the bench they get arrested because they're interfering with the game. Arrest FSN.
I like how FSN is investigating themselves in a potentially embarrassing situation.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
I like how FSN is investigating themselves in a potentially embarrassing situation.
Publicly they're "self investigating."

Really, their "investigators" are sitting with their feet up on their desk playing with a rubber ball attached to a wooden pallet by a string.