HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York Rangers All Decade Team - Head Coach

View Poll Results: New York Rangers All Decade Team - Head Coach
Ron Low 2 2.25%
Bryan Trottier 1 1.12%
Glen Sather 0 0%
Tom Renney 78 87.64%
John Tortorella 8 8.99%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
  #26
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Calling somebody a fool isn't on the edge. Do it to a Police Officer and see what happens. You are insulting me and there's no way around it, and the fact that a certain mod doesn't care is pretty telling.

As for the poll, millions of flies land on turds and eat it, so they must be right too, huh?
Oh, now you're comparing yourself to a police officer

You're being a hater for selecting anyone but Renney, its not even close. Does that sound more eloquent?

Just drop it, you hate Renney and you proved it, enough.


Last edited by Bluenote13: 01-12-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
  #27
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Which means let Jagr be Jagr, in essence it was Jagr running the show not Renney. Once Renney had to suddenly become a real head coach it went all downhill.
No, it doesn't. It meant putting Jagr in a system that allows him to maximize his talents while still getting him to play a team game. Renney actually got Jagr to pay attention to defense. No other coach had ever been able to do that.

Come on, we got to the playoffs with a bottom six of Jason Ward, Dominic Moore, Ryan Hollweg, Blair Betts, Ville Niemmenen, and Marcel Hossa. You expect anyone to believe that the coaching had nothing to dowith it?

Give us a break. There's a reason you're in such a tiny minority here.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
  #28
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Oh, now you're comparing yourself to a police officer

You're being foolish for selecting anyone but Renney, its not even close. Does that sound more eloquent?

Just drop it, you hate Renney and you proved it, enough.
So you are calling everyone who didn't vote for Renney a fool?
I don't hate Renney I just don't think he is a better coach than most of the people that have been mentioned in this poll.
You on the other hand love Renney, you proved it,enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
No, it doesn't. It meant putting Jagr in a system that allows him to maximize his talents while still getting him to play a team game. Renney actually got Jagr to pay attention to defense. No other coach had ever been able to do that.

Come on, we got to the playoffs with a bottom six of Jason Ward, Dominic Moore, Ryan Hollweg, Blair Betts, Ville Niemmenen, and Marcel Hossa. You expect anyone to believe that the coaching had nothing to dowith it?

Give us a break. There's a reason you're in such a tiny minority here.
Moore,Betts,Nieminnen and Hossa to an extend weren't too bad as a bottom six. The problem was a certain coach tried to put a couple of these players in the top 6. Which they aren't, but who was responsible for that? The team had chemistry, not thanks to the coach.

If it makes you feel better that you are in the majority I'm happy for you. But I am not changing my opinion about the phony that Renney was. He might be a great assistant (the jury is still out on that one) or a scout but a head coach he is not.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
  #29
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Its coach of the decade, not who's the best coach. Don't you see the difference?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
  #30
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,478
vCash: 500
This team has some serious offensive potential so id rather have Torts manning the ship than Renney personally.

If you are talking about the body of work and who deserves it its Renney.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
  #31
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This team has some serious offensive potential so id rather have Torts manning the ship than Renney personally.

If you are talking about the body of work and who deserves it its Renney.
Serious offenisve potential? Same amount of goals as the Renney team, and thats with Gaborik.

This is just

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
  #32
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,352
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Serious offenisve potential? Same amount of goals as the Renney team, and thats with Gaborik.

This is just
I think he's talking about the All Decade Team.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
  #33
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think he's talking about the All Decade Team.
Still applies

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
  #34
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,318
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Benefited from Jagr? Where would Torts be without Gaborik?
Or without Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards?

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
  #35
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Torts won a cup this decade...but since we're talking RANGERS coach of the decade...its an even toss up. I disagree with Bluenote being so matter of fact about it because both completely left Hank out to put up numbers 95% on his own.

MrAlfie, not everyone thinks your a nut.

Fact is all of the listed coaches suck because they leave out a half of the game...defense.

WHO'S THE GM OF THE DECADE????????
_________.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
  #36
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,318
vCash: 500
Awards:
And yes, this is an All Decade Team. It's about accomplishments with this team in this decade. If we're ignoring that criteria, let's just go ahead and put Messier as the #1 center and Graves at wing on line two. Or fit Amonte and Weight in there somewhere. They're great players, right? And how could we leave Marek Zidlicky out of our defensive pairings?

Even if you like Tortorella better than Tom Renney, I don't know how you could vote for him considering he hasn't even coached a full seasons worth of games with us.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
  #37
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Seriously Bluenote, how could you back up Renney so hard while having the King as your avatar? Only support from Renney to Hank came in the form of words in a given interview!
I'm not saying you're wrong in who's the better Rangers coach, but it's much closer than you're unfairly making it out to be.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
  #38
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Seriously Bluenote, how could you back up Renney so hard while having the King as your avatar? Only support from Renney to Hank came in the form of words in a given interview!
I'm not saying you're wrong in who's the better Rangers coach, but it's much closer than you're unfairly making it out to be.
Support? Renney left Hank out with no defense..?

I seriously have no idea what you're trying to say.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
  #39
RegalRangers
Registered User
 
RegalRangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Wow, I didn't know Ron Low was a registered user on HFBoards...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
  #40
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Still applies
Not exactly...

Jagr, Gaborik, Messier, Shanahan and a healthy Lindros and Bure on the same team?

Yeah...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
  #41
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not exactly...

Jagr, Gaborik, Messier, Shanahan and a healthy Lindros and Bure on the same team?

Yeah...
Who's to say Renney couldn't be just as successful with that team, he's never coached a team like that. It definitely is an opinion though. Renney being NYR coach of the decade is fact unless you're a hater which a few seem to be.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:41 PM
  #42
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
This is Renney by default, not saying he did a bad job but...Torts only coached 50 or so games for us in the decade and the other 3 we should never speak of again!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
  #43
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
So you are calling everyone who didn't vote for Renney a fool?
I don't hate Renney I just don't think he is a better coach than most of the people that have been mentioned in this poll.
You on the other hand love Renney, you proved it,enough!
As far as who has been the best coach of the decade for the Rangers any other pick seems bizarre. I don't know about him, I wouldn't call you a fool, I would call your pick foolish.
He clearly did the best of the coaches listed.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
  #44
Rags225
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well now we get to find out who hates Renney enough to vote for Tortorella.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Rags, mcAlfie...and probably more of the usual suspects
lol... I actually do believe that Renney was the coach of the decade for the Rangers and it really is no contest... I just wanted to see if I could stir the pot a little by voting for Torts.

However I do believe that Torts is a better coach and can bring this team to better fortunes than Renny did in the long run. However this is completely different argument.

For the Decade Renney was the best coach.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
  #45
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
lol... I actually do believe that Renney was the coach of the decade for the Rangers and it really is no contest... I just wanted to see if I could stir the pot a little by voting for Torts.

However I do believe that Torts is a better coach and can bring this team to better fortunes than Renny did in the long run. However this is completely different argument.

For the Decade Renney was the best coach.
And that I can understand. Thank you for at least being reasonable

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
  #46
Rags225
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And that I can understand. Thank you for at least being reasonable
the team under Renney made the PO's for three straight years. Whether they would have made 4 is debatable but they were technically in a PO spot when he was fired.

05-06 was one of the most fun years I have watched in a long time.

Renney's tenure here was successful but it did feel hollow b/c I think we underachieved.

but during his tenure here we were far more successful than any other coach this decade.

I think people here a voting based on who is a better coach rather than what they accomplished THIS DECADE with the team.

And again I voted for Torts just to stir the pot and see the reactions.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.