HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Socks

Old
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
ChiTownHawks

vCash: 500
Hockey Socks

Does anyone have a good recommendation for socks. I've been trying a couple different types but I have not had great results. I have been getting blisters on the inside arch of my foot and I know that part of it is breaking in some pretty new skates, but I was not sure if anyone had anything that really worked well for them.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
wondeROY

The easton synergy socks are awesome! However, the socks are most likely not the problem, skates prob need baked and punched out.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
SaginawSpiritOHL

I agree with wondeROY, socks probably have less to do with it than you think. I also recommend baking.

I've always worn really thin socks since i try to wear as small of a skate as possible. They are the same socks i wore under my stirrups for baseball. They just feel comfortable to me, really thin and long, and inexpensive.

SaginawSpiritOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
ChiTownHawks

Thanks guys. I actually got the skates baked when I bought them. I realize that the socks don't have as much to do with it as let's say a proper fit or a good breaking in. I was just looking for some suggestions. I will take a look at the Easton synergy.

Old
01-11-2010, 02:13 PM
trisgale

+1 easton synergy

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Unless you're wearing cotton socks, they're probably not the problem. If you are, take them out of your hockey bag right now, and make sure they stay at least 20 feet away from your skates at all times. Bad bad bad.

But socks don't really matter a whole lot. Get something that is tight against your feet and is a good material. Performance wool would be good, smartwool is a great brand. Polyester and other artificial materials are very good as well.

Expensive and hockey specific is not at all necessary either. I use starter brand performance socks- 2 for $6 at walmart.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Nigelbilt
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Unless you're wearing cotton socks, they're probably not the problem. If you are, take them out of your hockey bag right now, and make sure they stay at least 20 feet away from your skates at all times. Bad bad bad.

But socks don't really matter a whole lot. Get something that is tight against your feet and is a good material. Performance wool would be good, smartwool is a great brand. Polyester and other artificial materials are very good as well.

Expensive and hockey specific is not at all necessary either. I use starter brand performance socks- 2 for $6 at walmart.
One of the first rules of skating you learn is to not wear cotton socks. Saying that, i wear cotton socks

Those 80's ones with the coloured stripes

Nigelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
LarryO

I wear THESE and highly recommend them.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
TCNorthstars

I wear some under armour sport socks I picked up at Tj Maxx.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
ChiTownHawks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I wore some smartwool ones last time and my feet were seating like crazy. I have a pair of under armour socks that I wear for softball so I think I'll give those a try this weekend.

Old
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Anubis79

I have the Easton socks and love them. As others have said, anything that fits snug would likely work. You don't want socks that will slide around on your feet and create the friction to cause blisters.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Khabby

vCash: 678
I know people say wear thin socks, But I wear thick socks as it helps keep my foot from cramping up in my skates for some reason, not sure why, but when I wear thicker socks they help. But you have to make sure their tight to your feet, you dont want anything thats loose to your foot

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:54 AM
shoeshine boy

I wear dri-fit soccer socks and they are awesome!

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

I have worn cotton socks my entire life and never had a problem. One guy convinced me to wear them barefoot for a practice and I couldn't take it.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
SouthpawTRK

I use the Bauer Vapor socks, great fit and support. I use to wear thin golf socks, but they would sometimes gather on my foot when skating and cause some discomfort.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for socks. I've been trying a couple different types but I have not had great results. I have been getting blisters on the inside arch of my foot and I know that part of it is breaking in some pretty new skates, but I was not sure if anyone had anything that really worked well for them.
Whatever the case is mr. Blackhawks YOU will never look this good in hockey socks .... ever!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
mememe000

I used to wear cotton socks but now I wear the thinnest socks I can find. If your skates are loose then wear cotton socks, otherwise not.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
I used to wear cotton socks but now I wear the thinnest socks I can find. If your skates are loose then wear cotton socks, otherwise not.
I agree.
I wear these: Wigwam F2152

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Whatever the case is mr. Blackhawks YOU will never look this good in hockey socks .... ever!

Don't worry I have no illusions that I will.

Old
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
timnsr72

Quote:

pretty sure its just about impossible to look this good in hockey socks

timnsr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
jmacie3

chitownhawks,

I've tried everything from super thick wool socks to barefoot. Like another member suggested, I find thing socks the best. BTW, where do you play. I'm also from Chicago.

jmacie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Frankie Spankie

If it hurts your feet, why not try insoles? I have a pair of Superfeet insoles, they make a special set designed for ice skates. Kind of pricey at $40 a pair but well worth it in the long run.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
I used to wear cotton socks until they started to cause bone spurs on my heels. We had a thread around here about this subject http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=bone+spurs

I switched to soccer socks believe it or not, thin yet moisture wicking and very comfortable in skates. A little thicker than dress socks but thinner than cotton. I bought some Starter ones, these are the ones where you are to tuck shinguards in for soccer and go over the calf.

One of the best decisions I have made as they work perfectly in both pair of skates I have AND are warm for winter outdoor hockey as I found out this week on two glorious days of 3 on 3 pond hockey.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

Quote:
I used to wear cotton socks until they started to cause bone spurs on my heels. We had a thread around here about this subject http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=bone+spurs

I switched to soccer socks believe it or not, thin yet moisture wicking and very comfortable in skates. A little thicker than dress socks but thinner than cotton. I bought some Starter ones, these are the ones where you are to tuck shinguards in for soccer and go over the calf.

One of the best decisions I have made as they work perfectly in both pair of skates I have AND are warm for winter outdoor hockey as I found out this week on two glorious days of 3 on 3 pond hockey.
Soccer socks are good, except my city team has the worst socks, there so thick so I couldn't use them .

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 12:12 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
I use the Bauer Vapor socks, great fit and support. I use to wear thin golf socks, but they would sometimes gather on my foot when skating and cause some discomfort.
I'm using the Vapor socks as well and love them. A little thicker than the Synergys and last longer.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote