HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL investigating FSN Pittsburgh (UPDATE: employee suspended, post #83)

Old
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
you know that if this the other way around the NHL would be making more of a big deal about this.
I wonder how the Pens fans would react if this was the other way around. Probably not the same as they are on the main board. I am not blaming the Pens in this. its not their fault its the incompitent ****s at FSN Pittsburgh for screwing up.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Publicly they're "self investigating."

Really, their "investigators" are sitting with their feet up on their desk playing with a rubber ball attached to a wooden pallet by a string.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Sadly, I have no access to Youtube while at work. All streaming is blocked

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Sadly, I have no access to Youtube while at work. All streaming is blocked
oh well, its quite possibly the best youtube responce to what you said, you may wanna check it out when you get home. Its pretty awesome.

Old
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The more I think about this the more I laugh. Ridiculous. Imagine if the Flyers did this...there would probably be forfeiture of draft picks (if they had any) and fines and who knows what else. If the team was almost fined last year for fights and crap imagine what would happen if they were caught cheating.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
The Pens are directly responsible for subcontracting their broadcast and feeds through FSN. The league should still have the ability to fine the Pens, then it's up to the Pens if they want to attempt to get the money back from FSN. Someone can always be held accountable for this sort of thing.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. First thing that popped into my head when I read that post.

"Friggin' thing is warped!! Why do I always get a warped one??"

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

FSN Pittsburgh suspends someone:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10012...#ixzz0cReDXPCC

Quote:
CALGARY, Alberta -- FSN Pittsburgh has suspended an employee and the Penguins have reacted to an incident from a game last week against the Philadelphia Flyers at Mellon Arena.

A review of a play to determine whether the Flyers' Simon Gagner scored shorthanded in the second period of a 7-4 Philadelphia win turned up inconclusive evidence of a goal, and so the initial no-goal call by on-ice officials stood. However, FSN Pittsburgh had a replay that showed the puck crossing the goal line as Penguins goaltender Brent Johnson smothered it. That replay was not forwarded to the NHL review booth in Toronto and was not aired until after the review was concluded.

Once the review is concluded and play resumes, NHL rules do not allow for a reversal of a call.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...uspended_.html
Quote:

FSN Pittsburgh has suspended an employee, the son of a former Penguins player because of a goal-review incident last week against the Flyers at Mellon Arena, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Lowell MacDonald Jr., son of former Penguins player Lowell MacDonald and a member of FSN's telecast staff, was indefinitely suspended by the network. The controversy was a review of a play to determine if Simon Gagne scored a goal in the the second period of a Flyers' victory. FSN Pittsburgh had a replay that showed the puck crossing the goal line but the replay was not sent to the NHL review booth in Toronto. The replay was not aired on local television until after the review was concluded.

The Post-Gazette reported that in a statement, FSN Pittsburgh said, "There is nothing more important than the integrity of the game. During last Thursday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers, a definitive replay of a Flyers goal was not aired prior to the conclusion of the official review and, as a result, a Flyers goal was not awarded. Fortunately, this did not change the outcome of the game. Nonetheless, FSN Pittsburgh's failure to provide video to the league officials in a timely fashion was wholly unacceptable. FSN Pittsburgh has addressed this matter and has taken steps to ensure that such a failure does not occur again."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_661918.html

Quote:
CALGARY, Alberta — FSN Pittsburgh has suspended a veteran producer for failing to provide NHL replay officials in Toronto all video footage of a disputed goal disallowed to a Philadelphia Flyers player last Thursday in a Penguins' loss at Mellon Arena.

Lowell MacDonald Jr., 45, has been suspended indefinitely, the Tribune-Review learned Tuesday, as part of FSN Pittsburgh's investigation. The NHL was not directly involved in the investigation.

"There is nothing more important than the integrity of the game. During last Thursday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers, a definitive replay of a Flyers goal was not aired prior to the conclusion of the official review and, as a result, a Flyers goal was not awarded. Fortunately, this did not change the outcome of the game. Nonetheless, FSN Pittsburgh's failure to provide video to the league officials in a timely fashion was wholly unacceptable," FSN Pittsburgh said in a statement.

FSN Pittsburgh is the longtime Penguins' television broadcast partner. The Penguins said they support FSN's "reaction to the issue" and added that the "integrity of the game is paramount."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-13-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old
01-12-2010, 08:05 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. First thing that popped into my head when I read that post.

"Friggin' thing is warped!! Why do I always get a warped one??"
I didnt get a friggin hurmph outta that guy

Old
01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
I didnt get a friggin hurmph outta that guy
Give the governor a harumph.

Harumph!!

Old
01-12-2010, 09:40 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Give the governor a harumph.

Harumph!!
Mel brooks is #1 on reasons to hijack a thread! And it made sence at 1st!

Old
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Lowell MacDonald Jr. = sacrificial lamb

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Richyrich

simon gagner...

tsk tsk

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Holmgren's reaction:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...in-over-stars/

Quote:
–GM Paul Holmgren was critical of the Pittsburgh television crew that kept a replay video from the NHL war room in Toronto during the Flyers’ 7-4 win in Pittsburgh on Jan. 7, essentially negating a goal by Simon Gagne. “You can’t have that happen in a game, no matter what the score is,” Holmgren said. “The points we’re playing for are too valuable.” Holmgren said that although the outcome of the game was not affected, he plans on addressing the issue when league general managers convene again in March.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
CptCannon

FSN ****sburgh admits error, suspends producer

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...cmpid=rss-News

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:36 PM
CamTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
FSN ****sburgh admits error, suspends producer

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...cmpid=rss-News
crazy...FSN Pits has the worst group of announcers in the league. Doesn't surprise me the supporting crew is just as bad...

CamTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Kaktus*

How about an official apology to the Philadelphia Flyers, Gagne (SH goal as his 500 point) and especially Philadelphia Flyers fans. Asking for too much here? eh..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoomin8 View Post
crazy...FSN Pits has the worst group of announcers in the league. Doesn't surprise me the supporting crew is just as bad...
Not to mention that said announcers were giggling like schoolgirls...but they had no idea about any shenanigans, just this rogue producer McDonald. Yeah, OK.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:27 AM
phantomphan

NHL "investigation" (in quotes b/c I can't imagine how real it was) is over and they conclude that they can't do anything.

Quote:
"The NHL cannot fine [the station] because they're an independent contractor who pays for the rights of the games," said John Dellapina, a league spokesman. "They're not hired by the NHL. And the Penguins had nothing to do with what happened."
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ld_replay.html

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphan View Post
NHL "investigation" (in quotes b/c I can't imagine how real it was) is over and they conclude that they can't do anything.

So I ask again: How foolish was it of the league to rely on the generosity of a third parties, completely outside of it's jurisdiction, to supply and choose the footage that is absolutely critical to executing one of it's regular functions. I understand hindsight is 20/20, but you don't have to be a friggin genius to see the potential for collusion when the third party works as closely as they do with the team.

The league needs to be recording the feeds from all the production cameras in the arena for each game from now on. The system needs to be overhauled. And they need to take a commercial break and give Toronto enough time.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
phlflyer1

From the same article:

Quote:
Dellapina said the league "is at the mercy of the teams broadcasting the games" and that the NHL does not have the funds to supply more cameras other than the overhead shot it provides.

He added that the NHL did not cover up the incident by ignoring the controversial developments Tuesday on NHL.com. He said there was an editorial mix-up that caused the story not to be placed on the Web site until yesterday.
Sounds like the league needs another investigation to look into why NHL.com "withheld" the story

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
So I ask again: How foolish was it of the league to rely on the generosity of a third parties, completely outside of it's jurisdiction, to supply and choose the footage that is absolutely critical to executing one of it's regular functions. I understand hindsight is 20/20, but you don't have to be a friggin genius to see the potential for collusion when the third party works as closely as they do with the team.

The league needs to be recording the feeds from all the production cameras in the arena for each game from now on. The system needs to be overhauled. And they need to take a commercial break and give Toronto enough time.
Relying on 3rd parties is fine... as long as the contracts that are drawn up have some teeth to economically punish stations that do what FSN did. It doesn't sound like that happened.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Relying on 3rd parties is fine... as long as the contracts that are drawn up have some teeth to economically punish stations that do what FSN did. It doesn't sound like that happened.
FSN should at least send Gagne a fruit basket or something. He's the one who got screwed.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphan View Post

This is obviously a complete joke. What the NHL could do (if they chose) is discipline the Pens, because the Pens contracted FSN Pitt to handle the broadcasts. That would certainly motivate the Pens to take this a bit more seriously. That the NHL apparently doesn't think this is a big deal is troubling...what we're basically talking about here is deliberate cheating.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Article on the war room itself: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...n_Toronto.html

Answers my question as to why they didn't look at the CSN feed too even though they were using PIT video, since they showed the angle before the replay was over. CSN is not on satellite, so Toronto doesn't get it.

So Gagne, blame Comcast.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote