HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Status Quo?

Old
01-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Obviously, the status quo is unacceptable. Again, a blockbuster trade is not always needed. Tambellini should be looking at minor deals now if they a) improve the club/organization and b) prepare the team for the future (unloading contracts, getting draft picks).

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This is what I am thinking. There could be a lot of disappointed campers this summer. I think instead of saying you need to make a planned timeline, I believe you need to be able to have a plan, but it may have to be supplemented with a plan b, c, d, etc... as your roster movement will be dictated in large part by other teams.
How is this any different from "the plan" that Lowbellini has had for years? To be certain, many of us posters think that Tambo can just pull moves out of his ass whenever we think he can - so I get your point. There needs to be a plan b and c, etc. Plan A has always been to land a superstar to play with Hemsky - that hasn't panned out at all (Vanek, Heatley, Hossa, Nylander , Penner, etc). The problem is that Plan A never materialized so there was nothing to supplement with plan b,c,d, etc. In fact, Plan A was based on faulty assumptions and all we have on the team are plan b's and c's.

WE NEED A NEW PLAN A - and that is build through the draft. But what is the plan for the draft? What do we need to build a team? We have some good pieces, we just need more:
1. elite top line center prospect
2. an elite #1 shutdown defenseman prospect
3. elite #1 goalie prospect.
Those are the priorities of the new plan A. Without all those pieces, we are setting ourselves up for more mediocrity. IF we can get those three pieces (other good pieces will come with a few more good drafts - yes I know we need more depth than 3 players), without blowing the team up, great! IF we cannot, then we need to blow the team up and do it slowly.

I'd prefer to go somewhere in the middle between status quo and blowup.

I'd prefer to keep Hemsky and Visnovsky - hopefully they will still be important parts of the team in 3-5 years

Trade Penner, Souray, Cogs, Gilbert (maybe), and the older vets.

Liquor is correct to assume that all these players won't get traded all at once, but as many as possible should be.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I would like to see the Oilers make somes moves. but those moves would include getting rid of some vets. If we get rid of vets for young prospects or picks then it will not make this team better. We need to find some trades that Chicago was able to find when they found gems in Versteeg and Sharp. Or was it Bolland they traded for? I'm not sure but a few of the role palyes that Chicago has or in the case of Sharp impact player were found through what looked like small insignificant trades.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
I would like to see redundant players moved as well as get Matt Greene and Brodz back that is all.

Penner Gagner Hemsky
Eberle Horcoff Brule
MPS Hall Cogliano
JFJ Potulny Stortini
Stone

Smid Vish
Gilbert Grebs
Chorney Peckham

*** = Vets or rookies

But of course this all changes with the placement of the oilers finishing this season
Line-up fixed...
This would also ensure that the Oilers have another top 3 pick in 2011 for a proper rebuild. Also they would have several additional prospects and picks from trading Souray, Moreau, Staios, et al...
Your core is Hemsky, Hall, Gagner, Eberle, Penner, Brule, MPS, Cogs, Vish, Grebs, Smid, and Gilbert, plus the top-3 pick from 2011, and maybe a top prospect/pick coming back for Souray. Trade Horcoff in 2012/13 when he has less time left on his contract and bring in another top end shutdown D-man, and a goalie via free-agency after that season to begin the competitive era. There would be some scary talent on the team and we'd have purged the old core completely.

Last edited by NMK: 01-12-2010 at 07:41 PM.
NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I would like to see the Oilers make somes moves. but those moves would include getting rid of some vets. If we get rid of vets for young prospects or picks then it will not make this team better. We need to find some trades that Chicago was able to find when they found gems in Versteeg and Sharp. Or was it Bolland they traded for? I'm not sure but a few of the role palyes that Chicago has or in the case of Sharp impact player were found through what looked like small insignificant trades.
The Hawks acquired Sharp, Versteeg, Ladd and Eager through trades. They picked up other players through free agency.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote