HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jovo suspended for the 2nd time this season.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
  #1
Colt45Blast
is in your head
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: everytime
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,384
vCash: 500
Jovo suspended for the 2nd time this season.

Jovo will not play vs SJ and NJ this week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=513275

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
  #2
pyregretzky
 
pyregretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Jovo will not play vs SJ and NJ this week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=513275
Surprised it took them this long to rule on it. He was very upbeat and laughing during the entire practice today so he probably knew

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
  #3
Alberta Yote
Nice run
 
Alberta Yote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your kitchen
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,696
vCash: 500
Dumb play, they need him on the ice.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
  #4
Colt45Blast
is in your head
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: everytime
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,384
vCash: 500
San Jose is in LA tonight so we might get 2 pts vs the Sharks if they are tired.
NJ is only a small # of Eastern Conference that scare me in part because of Marty B in goal and more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:19 PM
  #5
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,600
vCash: 500
slightly off topic but what salary cap implications are to this move?

I realize we pay the money to a different fund so there are no "savings' to the franchise. I just want to know if these funds are exempt from the escrow which means that we would be technically out the % of eventual savings. Essentially, this suspension actually costs the team additional money potentially.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
  #6
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,056
vCash: 500
Jovo needs to stop getting suspended...really this is redicolous. I'm glad he's playing hard though but I guess you cant hit the "furture stars" anymore.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:51 PM
  #7
2yotesfans88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 233
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Jovo needs to stop getting suspended...really this is redicolous. I'm glad he's playing hard though but I guess you cant hit the "furture stars" anymore.
i think the rest of the ISLANDERS line should be suspended or benched by the coach for being *******. i mean really. your future star goes down...you score a goal...what do you do next. skate off to the bench. wtf? someone step up and stand up for your guy.

i think the refs got the call right im not crazy about 2 games when JT didnt miss a shift. but being a repeat offender... i dont know ive seen much worse from pronger. how many times have we seen him elbow someones head in the boards..ie mules.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
  #8
2yotesfans88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 233
vCash: 300
one more thing. if jovo would have dropped his gloves, grabbed JT and clocked him a few times in the face would he have been given 2 games??? or would he just have gotten 5min plus 2 for instigating and probably a game misconduct.

i took the elbow to be a message. hey kid pay attention to whos on the ice... and keep your head up. if jovo would have flared that elbow out hard he could have really labeled him. 8 or 9 years ago if you came dancing thru the slot like that you would be run over by a freight train.

whats worse....that pop by jovo. or the cross check that ups took to the back. i mean thats what hurt ups right? it was a pretty visible crosscheck half our section was on their feet yelling at the refs and i dont remember seeing him on the ice after that.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:50 AM
  #9
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
slightly off topic but what salary cap implications are to this move?

I realize we pay the money to a different fund so there are no "savings' to the franchise. I just want to know if these funds are exempt from the escrow which means that we would be technically out the % of eventual savings. Essentially, this suspension actually costs the team additional money potentially.
Was going to write up a quick reply, then scratched my head for a bit to think it through. So here's the long answer:

Jovo personally:
- 1st suspension for hitting Ebbett: misses 2 games, forfeits two days of his averaged salary. This NHL season is 193 days, so he isn't paid 2/193 of his salary - $67,357
- 2nd suspension for hitting Tavares: misses 2 games, forfeits two games of his salary. So he isn't paid 2/82 of his salary - $158,536

The player's average cap [minus potential performance bonuses] is used for these figures, so even though Jovo is only being paid $6m this season, his $6.5m average cap hit over the contract is the amount used for these calcs.


Impact to the Coyotes:
- Suspended players salary/bonuses that are not paid do not count towards the cap.
- The escrow payments are only a % of a player's paycheck--if the player isn't paid then no escrow $ is collected either. The Coyotes don't pay anything in to escrow while Jovo is suspended.

The Coyotes will actually gain money above and beyond not paying Jovo. After the season is over there will be a large escrow overage with players forfeiting a % of their paychecks. This money is not returned to each of the teams in the same proportion that they contributed to it via payroll. Here's where the escrow $ goes:

(1) A percent of it goes into the league-wide revenue sharing program.
(2) of the remaining $, all teams with a payroll under the midpoint [$48.8m] receive the difference between their actual payroll and the midpoint. Phoenix right now is tracking to around $41.8m in payroll, so they would receive ~$7m in this escrow refund.
(3) any remaining $ is divided by 30 and distributed equally to all teams.

As twisted as this sounds, the Coyotes will actually gain about 2x to the bottom line by Jovo being suspended. First they save his salary during suspension. Then after the season the amount they get from the escrow refund (#2 above) will have been increased by the same amount not paying Jovo decreases the team's average payroll. That's probably offset a bit by having to call up a dman though.


Last year was the first year there was a large escrow overage, and it's going to happen again this season. From a bottom line perspective, it also means that every $ of pro-rated salary the Coyotes potentially add to the roster at the trade deadline hits the team's books at 2x--one dollar for player salary and one dollar in escrow refund forfeited (#2 above).

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:55 AM
  #10
white_tiger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 1,473
vCash: 500
As I mentiioned in the main page.. this is a BS sus[ension.. Jovo gets this but ******* Stortini got nothing for that boarding of Fiddler last week?

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
  #11
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,836
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_tiger View Post
As I mentiioned in the main page.. this is a BS sus[ension.. Jovo gets this but ******* Stortini got nothing for that boarding of Fiddler last week?
No, it's not a BS suspension. Elbows to the head will get suspensions most, if not all of the time. Campbell has stated numerous times that he will be giving suspensions to players who do this.

Also, had Jovo not been given the 5 minute major and a 10 minute misconduct for the elbow to the head he would have been suspended longer than 2 games for being a repeat offender (like 4-6 games).

No argument about Stortini mauling Fiddler. Working on an article about this. My writing this of article is perfect timing with what happened in the Canucks game tonight too....

__________________
http://thenhlhotlist.wordpress.com/
Follow along on Twitter: http://twitter.com/azvibesports

Last edited by Dolemite: 01-12-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
  #12
white_tiger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 1,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
No, it's not a BS suspension. Elbows to the head will get suspensions most, if not all of the time. Campbell has stated numerous times that he will be giving suspensions to players who do this.

Also, had Jovo not been given the 5 minute major and a 10 minute misconduct for the elbow to the head he would have been suspended longer than 2 games for being a repeat offender (like 4-6 games).

No argument about Stortini mauling Fiddler. Working on an article about this. My writing this article is perfect timing with what happened in the Canucks game tonight too....

The funny thing is even most of teh Isles fans are thanking Jovo for the elbow. That are hoping it will have taught JT to pay attention

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:08 AM
  #13
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,836
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_tiger View Post
The funny thing is even most of teh Isles fans are thanking Jovo for the elbow. That are hoping it will have taught JT to pay attention
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's awesome.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:22 AM
  #14
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
I'm fine with the suspension. If someone did that to one of our players I would probably want some justice. Head shots need to be taken out of the game, you start that by disciplining the border line calls as well. It sucks, because we have two big games ahead of us, and Jovo is having a very good season. I hope this doesn't make him soft.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:42 AM
  #15
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Jovo needs to stop getting suspended...really this is redicolous. I'm glad he's playing hard though but I guess you cant hit the "furture stars" anymore.
That was a dirty play regardless of what player he clocked. It should not ever been tolerated and I'm glad it wasn't. JT may have sold it a bit, but any player throwing an elbow into another players face should be suspended regardless of the impact on the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_tiger View Post
As I mentiioned in the main page.. this is a BS sus[ension.. Jovo gets this but ******* Stortini got nothing for that boarding of Fiddler last week?
This is what really bothers me. I completely agree with Jovanovski getting suspended. I just don't understand how plays that are just as dangerous and just as illegal somehow draw nothing when the league spins the Wheel of Discipline. The NHL has no idea what they are doing when it comes to discipline, or officiating in general and just because they get one right doesn't mean it is fair.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
  #16
Mike92
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Deserved, but far from consistent. There's been so many more incidents deserving suspensions, and it makes no sense why they get overlooked.

Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
  #17
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
Deserved, but far from consistent. There's been so many more incidents deserving suspensions, and it makes no sense why they get overlooked.
Trying to make sense of the irrational will drive you crazy!

Someone that with more talent than I should think about making an NHL Wheel of Discipline image.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:03 PM
  #18
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,727
vCash: 500
That's pretty fair, I guess. If he hadn't already been suspended for a head shot, sitting out the Islanders game probably would've been enough. His being a repeat offender makes this justified. You have to take the good and the bad with Jovo. You have to love that he walks that line, and can't be too upset when he occasionally crosses it.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
  #19
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That's pretty fair, I guess. If he hadn't already been suspended for a head shot, sitting out the Islanders game probably would've been enough. His being a repeat offender makes this justified. You have to take the good and the bad with Jovo. You have to love that he walks that line, and can't be too upset when he occasionally crosses it.
Certainly better than his first few seasons here. The team actually being decent and in playoff contention must get him all riled up.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
  #20
MP
Registered User
 
MP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
I still don't see this as a suspension-worthy offense. Especially in light of Rob Blake's blatant attempted headshot on Martin Hanzal tonight, which only cost him two minutes. If you're going to try to tell me that the main difference was that Jovo actually hit a guy, don't bother--the intent was the same: rock that mother so hard he's no longer interested in trying to play his game.

At the very least, if one is a suspension, so is the other, and I doubt there will be so much as a peep about Blake after the game tonight.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
  #21
indczn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I still don't see this as a suspension-worthy offense. Especially in light of Rob Blake's blatant attempted headshot on Martin Hanzal tonight, which only cost him two minutes. If you're going to try to tell me that the main difference was that Jovo actually hit a guy, don't bother--the intent was the same: rock that mother so hard he's no longer interested in trying to play his game.

At the very least, if one is a suspension, so is the other, and I doubt there will be so much as a peep about Blake after the game tonight.
If the league was anything but results oriented, Blake would get 2 games, but I don't pretend for a second that I actually think that would happen.

That elbow was so high and so blatant, he got 2 minutes and he didn't even connect.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
  #22
Coyotes Crusader
Registered User
 
Coyotes Crusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Not hear to pass judgement on the appropriateness of the suspension, but rather to make the point that Ed certainly didn't get his money's worth on the hit. I'm sure he'd agree.

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.