HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk (Rumor Update: 01/02/10) Post #432

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
  #951
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
If that's the case then they can probably use it to make him waive the no trade clause (if we found a team dumb enough to take him...).

"Either waive the no-trade or you're playing in the minors"

Redden sure doesnt play like he wants to be in the NHL. The effort level isn't there.
He's still an NHL player, but no one is going to want him even at $3.25 mil. He's the type of player who would get $1.5-2mil maximum, and no longer than 2 years if he hit the FA market. Someone would pick him up as their 5th or 6th d-man, but not at a great price.

No one is going to trade for him at $6.5 for 4 years, nor do I think anyone will take him at $3.25 through re-entry waivers(and why not just buy him out and only have to deal with the cap hit of $3mil+ for 4 years and spread the hit out?

RangerFan10 is offline  
Old
01-12-2010, 11:44 PM
  #952
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
The effort level isn't there.
And how would you really even know this? You don't see the practices, there's not exactly a ton of reports saying Redden's halfassing it...he clearly does care about playing considering when he was a scratch he was pretty annoyed to not be in the lineup and wanted to do what was necessary to get out there.

I feel as though fans have a difference telling the difference between just being slow and not trying. Redden was never fast to begin with. Just because he lacks some speed doesn't mean he's not trying.

RangerFan10 is offline  
Old
01-13-2010, 01:50 AM
  #953
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
And how would you really even know this? You don't see the practices, there's not exactly a ton of reports saying Redden's halfassing it...he clearly does care about playing considering when he was a scratch he was pretty annoyed to not be in the lineup and wanted to do what was necessary to get out there.

I feel as though fans have a difference telling the difference between just being slow and not trying. Redden was never fast to begin with. Just because he lacks some speed doesn't mean he's not trying.
All I know he is not the same player I seen break in with the Isles and play in Ottawa for a decade. He's lost something along the way here and I don't think it's speed.

I'm not sure which is more scary. That we didn't bother to scout this guy before giving him this insane contract, or that we did scout him and felt he was worth being one of the highest paid defenders in the sport.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
01-13-2010, 02:31 AM
  #954
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I feel like I'm rambling because I need to get some sleep right now. My point boils down to, it's possible for Kovy to get a max contract and play for a competitive team.
I believe that if his goal is to play on a team that has the best chance of winning, seeking a max contract is not in his best interest. The question is not if the team can be competitive...assuming his goal is to have the best chance of winning the Cup, the question is whether the team can be a contender while paying him the salary cap max.

I don't think the answer is yes, especially considering that the players you name, who will be getting better, will be seeking their own high-value contracts.

Khelvan is offline  
Old
01-13-2010, 06:35 AM
  #955
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
I believe that if his goal is to play on a team that has the best chance of winning, seeking a max contract is not in his best interest. The question is not if the team can be competitive...assuming his goal is to have the best chance of winning the Cup, the question is whether the team can be a contender while paying him the salary cap max.

I don't think the answer is yes, especially considering that the players you name, who will be getting better, will be seeking their own high-value contracts.
Kane is signed for three seasons and won't get much of a raise from his $3.1M as an RFA. Same for Bogosian who is an RFA in two years and already makes $3.375M. Their core isn't going anywhere, they've locked them up and they're shedding dead weight. Johan Hedberg has displayed how good that team can be when they get average goal tending.

Theoretically they could give Kovy his max contract today, still have enough cap space to trade for Jean-Sebastian Giguere and I guarantee that team would be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

I don't understand the logic that if they're freeing up ~13M in dead space this off-season, with the cap rising ~1M, that they can't get a goal tender, a 4-6 defenseman and re-sign Colby Armstrong and Afinigenov. All that can be accomplished with the ~14M and Kovalchuk already signed to $10M.

That's honestly as good of a team he'll be apart of wherever he chooses to go. How many teams can even offer him an $8-9M (market value) contract right now and be as competitive? Not many, if any.

I'm not campaigning for him to stay in Atlanta but the ideas that a max contract kills his chances of playing for a competitive franchise are unfounded.

Edit: Are the Capitals a contender?


Last edited by D713B: 01-13-2010 at 05:32 PM.
D713B is offline  
Old
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM
  #956
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
This sucker is over 1000 posts now, gotta close it. Do you guys want another Kovalchuk thread now, or should we just wait until there's actual news?

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
  #957
BrandNewDream
Registered User
 
BrandNewDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
This sucker is over 1000 posts now, gotta close it. Do you guys want another Kovalchuk thread now, or should we just wait until there's actual news?
Personally, I don't see any more than mere speculation from here until something actually breaks. Keep it for those who want to debate. New thread upon news.

BrandNewDream is offline  
Old
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
  #958
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
I'd just make one. Otherwise there will be "GET KOVY!!!!!!!!!11" threads popping up everywhere within a couple of hours, anyway. Having a designated thread at least controls the madness.

we want cup is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.