HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues (18-19-7) vs Blue Jackets (18-20-9) Tues Jan 12 7 PM

Old
01-13-2010, 04:12 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Good game. Great energy and purpose. The transition game looked fan-TASTIC. I haven't seen this from the Blues in....well I can't remember.

Another winnable game with Minnesota, and the guys may be able to get on a bit of a roll. At any rate, they look like they only have to beat the other team now, not the other team plus their own mental demons.

Berglund is contributing. Guys like Crombeen and Winchester seem to have remembered how to be physical and contribute. Even Boyes is having some really nice defensive plays and setting up scoring chances out of the zone.

I guess the one guy that seems to be MIA is Paul Kariya. I'll give him a flyer on this game since its his first game back from a concussion....but I really don't think that probably makes any difference.

Best thing about the game...at the very tale end of the FSMW broadcast they showed the players congratulating Mason. Last in line is Walt and he gives this big grin WITH NO TEETH. He looked like a cousin to that little banjo-playing guy from Deliverance.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Good game. Great energy and purpose. The transition game looked fan-TASTIC. I haven't seen this from the Blues in....well I can't remember.

Another winnable game with Minnesota, and the guys may be able to get on a bit of a roll. At any rate, they look like they only have to beat the other team now, not the other team plus their own mental demons.

Berglund is contributing. Guys like Crombeen and Winchester seem to have remembered how to be physical and contribute. Even Boyes is having some really nice defensive plays and setting up scoring chances out of the zone.

I guess the one guy that seems to be MIA is Paul Kariya. I'll give him a flyer on this game since its his first game back from a concussion....but I really don't think that probably makes any difference.

Best thing about the game...at the very tale end of the FSMW broadcast they showed the players congratulating Mason. Last in line is Walt and he gives this big grin WITH NO TEETH. He looked like a cousin to that little banjo-playing guy from Deliverance.
I know I am one to rag on him, but he has looked great lately. He just needs to keep it up. Hopefully Payne makes him become a complete player.

As far as PK, I think he is done...atleast with us. He is a shell of the player he once was.

Our breakout really did look pretty good. Quick transitions and that even allowed us to set up in the zone and maintain strong puck control.

Its great to see the third line do something other than play defense. They are keeping it simple, but producing some good results.

As a whole our team looks much more physical. Even guys like Boyes, PK and Andy Mac (though obviously not last night) have been finishing checks. Hope to see that kept up.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Rosie
HFB Partner

Postgame video from last night courtesy of Ashley Glatz from Inside Hockey:

You can also read more about it here: http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/5565

Rosie

Last edited by Rosie: 01-13-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Adding another link to the original post
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I can't help myself. I'm starting to believe they're going to claw back into the playoffs.

The last time Columbus played in St Louis, wasn't it when they clinched the playoffs last year? (Or am I forgetting a game this season?) I think the demons are exorcised and its just a matter of bringing it every night. I predict ScottTrade will become a significant home ice advantage from here on out and that the crowds will have plenty to cheer for.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
I can't help myself. I'm starting to believe they're going to claw back into the playoffs.
The last time Columbus played in St Louis, wasn't it when they clinched the playoffs last year? (Or am I forgetting a game this season?) I think the demons are exorcised and its just a matter of bringing it every night. I predict ScottTrade will become a significant home ice advantage from here on out and that the crowds will have plenty to cheer for.
I feel that too, The game against the Sharks STL looked better and one bad shot blocked lead to one of the best players in the NHL going on a break and scoring the OT goal. Against the Ducks the Blues played a hard game, ran into some trouble late and looked a little tired but also ran into some bad luck and officiating. LA the Blues played 60 mins and came out with a win.

Against CBJ the Blues really played a great, physical, going hard to the net, game. The new coach's ideas, playing styles, etc... seem to be really inspiring the team.

Except:
Quote:
Kariya totally BLEW last night! Concussions arent really like other injuries, once you take time off and are cleared to play there's really no phycial effects (such as an injury like Walt). Now maybe it was b/c he hasnt gotten much practice or playing time under Payne but his play last night was very Murray-like. if that keeps up hopefully its bye bye PK too!!!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves after one home win. Columbus has had some struggles on the defensive side of the puck this year. It's looked like a very un-Hitch type team so far this year.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:09 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:

I still have a funny feeling our division games will really get these guys playing with heart or just fired up angry hockey (which is great because we win any game we're more physical in as long as it's not a bad penalty marathon.)

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote