HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stevens may remain with Flyers, work in TV

Old
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
any shot of him replacing coatsey?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Good, Stevens is a classy guy.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
With his dynamic charisma, this seems a natural step.
Exactly what I thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
I'm happy that he'll remain with the Flyers someway, but why would he do TV? He was so boring to listen to during interviews. Shows no emotion whatsoever.

.....It's like watching the Mike Richards WG BMW commercial
Jeez...thanks a lot. I had successfully burned that commercial out of my memory until now....

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:45 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Part time scout means you get to go Flyers home games for free. Thats about it.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 12:12 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I'd love to hear his commentary on games...

"Well that's odd there Mike, I don't understand why coach Laviolette is reacting to what his players are doing on the ice..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Part time scout means you get to go Flyers home games for free. Thats about it.
He deserves to be allowed in the building, but not free seats!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 12:55 AM
PhilaFlyers

Doesn't really seem like a good fit as a TV analyst.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 01:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

good for him.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Stevens a scout?
why is that laughable? The guy sure knows how to coach young talented players. It's the vets he has problems with

I would also offer him the job of the phantoms. I'm pretty sure he would turn that ship around pretty quickly. He was a very very good AHL coach, his success just never translated to the NHL .

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:40 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
TSN: where fired coaches go to await their next job
Or Versus . I'd say a scout job might be better. He knows talent when he sees it, coaching is a different story though.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:11 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
why is that laughable? The guy sure knows how to coach young talented players. It's the vets he has problems with

I would also offer him the job of the phantoms. I'm pretty sure he would turn that ship around pretty quickly. He was a very very good AHL coach, his success just never translated to the NHL .
Just curious as I'm too lazy to look it up, but how long was he coach of the Phantoms before getting the Flyers job? Maybe a few more years in the AHL would help him hone his craft a little more and he could actually turn into a good NHL coach. (GASP! I just said that didn't I? )

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

He knows how to coach young talent? Yes, I saw that. lol

Clarke gave him Pitkanen, Richards, Sharp, Umberger, Carter, Sim (good AHL scorer), Eager, Nitty, Jones, Meyer among others and Stevens won Calder. With out PPG Carter and Richards in that AHL playoffs he would win NOTHING! So stop with that BS. He is a below avearage coach and this organization was/will always taking care their "own". Which I think sometimes it is part of a problem. I mean if we hired some real scouts we may actually see good results.

I actually was going to AHL games back then.. Were you?

Same in the NHL, Homer spent 20 or over million a year and a bunch of 1st round picks and Stevens became a head coach of the year or whatever it was.. Please....

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
He's got a face, voice, and personality for radio.

That being said, I'd prefer him taking the scouting job. Maybe it'll segway into a player development job.
I think he's got a face for radio, and a personality and speaking voice for newspaper work. I couldn't listen to him on a radio show I don't think.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:05 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

Clarke gave him Pitkanen, Richards, Sharp, Umberger, Carter, Sim (good AHL scorer), Eager, Nitty, Jones, Meyer among others and Stevens won Calder. With out PPG Carter and Richards in that AHL playoffs he would win NOTHING! So stop with that BS. He is a below avearage coach and this organization was/will always taking care their "own". Which I think sometimes it is part of a problem. I mean if we hired some real scouts we may actually see good results.

Same in the NHL, Homer spent 20 or over million a year and a bunch of 1st round picks and Stevens became a head coach of the year or whatever it was.. Please....
Every AHL team was stacked that year with guys like Staal, Spezza etc all there for the lockout, so its not like he was the only with talent.

I wouldn't mind him coaching the AHL again

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Ha because no other team had stars in the team because of the lockout?

I've never been to an AHL game either. I think that has to do with me living thousends of miles away, and being under the age of 16

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Every AHL team was stacked that year with guys like Staal, Spezza etc all there for the lockout, so its not like he was the only with talent.

I wouldn't mind him coaching the AHL again
Please.. Spezza who had an excellent regular season sucked in playoffs, do not remember Staal at this point. I guess Carter and Richards were not a huge boost in that run. You know better.. It was coaching lol.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Kaktus, I too was going to AHL games back then (was a Phantoms STH) and I thought that Stevens was a horrible coach. The highlight was a game where the Phantoms were down a goal late in the 3rd period, around the 1:30 mark the puck is deep in the opponents' end and Neil Little is banging his stick as hard as he can on the ice trying to get Stevens attention to pull him for the extra attacker. Stevens was not even watching the play on the ice and 20 seconds later finally noticed Litts, but it still took him a few extra seconds to realize where the puck was and to finally pull him for a 6th skater.

As for Stevens going to tv, I'm yawning just at the idea of him providing any kind of analysis.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Please.. Spezza who had an excellent regular season sucked in playoffs, do not remember Staal at this point. I guess Carter and Richards were not a huge boost in that run. You know better.. It was coaching lol.
No, of course not!

The Phantoms weren't even the best team in the regular season that year. The addition of Carter and Richards put them over the top, as did stellar goaltending from Niittymaki.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Kaktus, I too was going to AHL games back then (was a Phantoms STH) and I thought that Stevens was a horrible coach. The highlight was a game where the Phantoms were down a goal late in the 3rd period, around the 1:30 mark the puck is deep in the opponents' end and Neil Little is banging his stick as hard as he can on the ice trying to get Stevens attention to pull him for the extra attacker. Stevens was not even watching the play on the ice and 20 seconds later finally noticed Litts, but it still took him a few extra seconds to realize where the puck was and to finally pull him for a 6th skater.

As for Stevens going to tv, I'm yawning just at the idea of him providing any kind of analysis.
I will not go as far as calling him horrible but below average is what he is/was. This is when I've noticed that he could not adjust during the games. He needed time to analyze god knows what for, I always thought that he had ADD. Honestly god.

Clarke really did his best with that championship team. Most kids on that team were studs. I mean lets face it most of them made it to NHL.

You have to have a talent to recognize talent or you have to be a good judge of character at least. Otherwise you will **** up and draft Klotz or trade for Dimitrakos. You know what I mean?
Quote:
No, of course not!

The Phantoms weren't even the best team in the regular season that year. The addition of Carter and Richards put them over the top, as did stellar goaltending from Niittymaki.
This. This is 100% gods honest truth.

This is why I was always arguing with Jester for 3 years about Nitty. That playoff run and Olympics. Nitty had skill to be in NHL.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I will not go as far as calling him horrible but below average is what he is/was. This is when I've noticed that he could not adjust during the games. He needed time to analyze god knows what for, I always thought that he had ADD. Honestly god.

Clarke really did his best with that championship team. Most kids on that team were studs. I mean lets face it most of them made it to NHL.

You have to have a talent to recognize talent or you have to be a good judge of character at least. Otherwise you will **** up and draft Klotz or trade for Dimitrakos. You know what I mean?
Ok, I'll give you below average.

Now that you mention ADD, does not not describe the scenario I laid out perfectly?

Old
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Ok, I'll give you below average.

Now that you mention ADD, does not not describe the scenario I laid out perfectly?
100%

Old
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Good news.

I found out I live pretty close to Johnny boy. Made me laugh.
Theres actually a decent amount of players from the teams that live around here, if you still live in Turnersville, most that I know of live/lived in the same neighborhood. My buddy's dad lived across the street from Lito Sheppard for a while in that neighborhood.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
He's a nice guy and the team has to pay him anyway, right? So let the guy get back in hockey. I still think, for all his faults, he'd be a great assistant to a hardass coach.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:43 AM
BerubeBox*

If he's on TV doing analysis won't he be expected to make jokes every once in a while? Or at least engage in some light banter. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how that works out. The guy has the wit of a hemorrhoid.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I think he's got a face for radio, and a personality and speaking voice for newspaper work. I couldn't listen to him on a radio show I don't think.
I agree with this. His monotone voice is like nails on a chalkboard. He's a nice guy, but I can't see why anyone would give him an analyst position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He's a nice guy and the team has to pay him anyway, right? So let the guy get back in hockey. I still think, for all his faults, he'd be a great assistant to a hardass coach.
I agree, he'd make a good assistant somewhere.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
IrishSniper87

I am tired of Stevens dumb face. No to TV.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote