HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers practiced the PP and shootouts today

Old
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers practiced the PP and shootouts today

Quote:
There were 5 on 4s on each end of the rink: Kotalik (rotating with Drury at one point)-Del Zotto-Callahan-Prospal-Gaborik vs. four players and G Chad Johnson, and Staal-Rozsival-Dubinsky-Christensen-Higgins going against four others and Henrik Lundqvist, again breaking in his Team Sweden equipment. Sean Avery (bruised foot from third-period shot) rested. "It's been struggling a bit right now, so we've got to do some work," said Torts.

"Today I thought we did a really good job of taking shots and scored a lot of goals, so you hope...it clicks in," the coach said. "We were looking at tapes of Montreal, the best power play in the league and they did nothing but take point shots, they've got a pretty good guy in Markov and they were just banging away. We're trying to get across to Michael (Del Zotto) that he does not always have to give it to Gabby, he does not always have to give it to Kotalik. If he just takes some wrist shots....The key for Michael is that when there's someone in front he sees of his color, his uniform, throw it on the net and things will open up elsewhere. Having said that, he's 19 years old and he's running our power play, but it has to start with him taking control. "
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tice-1.1699688

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
NYR Viper

I like the way Torts and Schoeny have developed MDZ and Gilroy. Slowly giving them what they can handle and allowing them to do what they do well while teaching them the finer parts they need to work on.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
OverTheCap

I think it's time to take Higgins off the PP and put Drury, Avery, or Anisimov there instead. 0 PP points and he's been on the 2nd unit for most of the season.

I noticed that Gilroy was taken off the PP in practice. He has 1 assist on the PP all season and no PP goals. It may be good for him to view the PP from the bench. He's had a couple of turnovers on the PP and has struggled to keep the puck in at the blue line.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
SO is something they should practice at least a couple of times per week. As I mentioned in the other thread, we go to a SO one in every five games. That's 16 points up for grabs.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
SO is something they should practice at least a couple of times per week. As I mentioned in the other thread, we go to a SO one in every five games. That's 16 points up for grabs.
ehh, I would rather they practice other parts of the game and let the 3-4 guys **** around after practice with Chad on breakaways

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
ehh, I would rather they practice other parts of the game and let the 3-4 guys **** around after practice with Chad on breakaways
Well, I don't mean that they need to spend a substantial amount of time on it. But to spend 30 minutes at the end of practice a couple of times per week seems reasonable.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Well, I don't mean that they need to spend a substantial amount of time on it. But to spend 30 minutes at the end of practice a couple of times per week seems reasonable.
Any time they spend practicing shootouts I would rather have a team shooting drill or have the defense man practicing shooting low on the goalie and and a player quickly find the rebound and send it home. I would rather they did this 30min at the end of the practice a couple times per week than that.

But... there are a two goalies so both could be done I suppose

Old
01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
MAYO

Shootout % Interesting

I was able to find lifetime stats for our current roster in regards to shootouts. Check out the last two, is the data base wrong?!?!?
Higgins 1-8
Avery 0-2
Cally 1-5
Drury 3-14
Dubi 0-2
MDZ 0-1
Gabby 2-18
Lisin 0-1
Rosie 0-3
Vinny 6-15
Kotes 21-42
Christensen 17-33
Not going to intimidate many goalies with these averages! By the way, P.A.P. 2-2!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Garfinkel1

Nope, their right... . No idea why they haven't had that kind of luck while they have been a ranger tho..

Old
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I was able to find lifetime stats for our current roster in regards to shootouts. Check out the last two, is the data base wrong?!?!?
Higgins 1-8
Avery 0-2
Cally 1-5
Drury 3-14
Dubi 0-2
MDZ 0-1
Gabby 2-18
Lisin 0-1
Rosie 0-3
Vinny 6-15
Kotes 21-42
Christensen 17-33

Not going to intimidate many goalies with these averages! By the way, P.A.P. 2-2!
No, Kotes and EC are two of the leagues best in shootouts. Too bad, with us, combined, they're like 0-for.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeZee4MVP View Post
No, Kotes and EC are two of the leagues best in shootouts.
Wolski...

Old
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Wolski...
I didn't say the two are THE best.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
Check out the last two, is the data base wrong?!?!?
As has been said many times ever since they were acquired, they are supposed to be a couple of the best shootout guys in the league. They are supposed to be aces. Because of them, the Rangers are supposed to be a good shootout team. But then again, the Rangers are supposed to have 7 or 8 20 goal scorers. Sounds like someone's got a case of the 'sposdas.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Hopefully this will give Torts more practice at picking shooters for the shootout...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
ret513

Hope they practice taking point shots alot. Not just stand there and shoot, but move with the puck and shoot. They did that early in year and PP was much better.

Sick of Redden"s soft wristers from the pt, hoping for deflections. He has a decent shot, but never uses it. I really think he does the wrist shot to play it safe... he's prob. afraid his slapshot will be blocked and then a rush up the ice with him failing to defend and booed..

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret513 View Post
Hope they practice taking point shots alot. Not just stand there and shoot, but move with the puck and shoot. They did that early in year and PP was much better.

Sick of Redden"s soft wristers from the pt, hoping for deflections. He has a decent shot, but never uses it. I really think he does the wrist shot to play it safe... he's prob. afraid his slapshot will be blocked and then a rush up the ice with him failing to defend and booed..
Well first of all, Redden hasn't been on the PP in quite some time now. Second of all, a wrist shot is, more often than not, the smarter and more efficient shot to take from the point. The scenario you mentioned about a blocked shot and a transition up ice is not the concern of a soft or scared player; it's the concern of a smart one. Not only that, but winding up for a slapshot is always going to take more time, and therefore is more likely to get blocked.

Redden has many, many faults, but taking wrist shots from the point back when he used to be on the power play is not one of them.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:28 AM
ret513

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Well first of all, Redden hasn't been on the PP in quite some time now. Second of all, a wrist shot is, more often than not, the smarter and more efficient shot to take from the point. The scenario you mentioned about a blocked shot and a transition up ice is not the concern of a soft or scared player; it's the concern of a smart one. Not only that, but winding up for a slapshot is always going to take more time, and therefore is more likely to get blocked.

Redden has many, many faults, but taking wrist shots from the point back when he used to be on the power play is not one of them.
I'm just sayin a soft wrister is all he seems to do now. Not that he has to use a slaphot all the time. He scored a goal with a hard shot and rang the posts a few times earlier and would be nice to see him use it again when the situation presents itself. There are times he should move and shoot!

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:08 AM
shon

I don't understand why Girardi hasn't been tried on the pp this year. He has always has an offensive side.. I know last year they didn't do well on the pp but look who the forwards were.
He does some smart passing and does have a good shot.
I think he has 13 pt and doesn't get a minute of pp time., Gilroy has 7 and is always on the second unit.
He could have a lot more assists this year if our forwards could finish.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
That should be done. Those extra points are so crucial when you look at the standings.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret513 View Post
Sick of Redden"s soft wristers from the pt, hoping for deflections. He has a decent shot, but never uses it.
That's how it is with Rozsival. I love his shot. I think Rozie's shot is the best on our defense.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
After watching this PP, it sure as hell doesn't look like they were practicing it.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Henrik4Hart

Just Wait till they get to the shootout to see the crap they come out with ... I mean Gimmick

Henrik4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Ummm go practice it some more.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
That's how it is with Rozsival. I love his shot. I think Rozie's shot is the best on our defense.
I just watched highlights from the 2007 Playoffs the other day and Rozy's slapper from the point looked lethal... where is that shot of his now a'days?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I just watched highlights from the 2007 Playoffs the other day and Rozy's slapper from the point looked lethal... where is that shot of his now a'days?
In 07 he was a point man on the PP. Now I don't think he gets any time at all, if he does it's at the end. He also needs to start hitting the net more, keep it down some for some deflection chances.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote