HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking for a blade for my shaft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
  #26
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,039
vCash: 500
X:60 blades aren't much more expensive the dolo blades. All composite tapered blades seem to sell around $60.

And yes, higher lie if you play with a shorter stick then typical for your height. The higher the number, the closer to 90 the angle of the blade with the shaft is.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 02:53 AM
  #27
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
X:60 blades aren't much more expensive the dolo blades. All composite tapered blades seem to sell around $60.

And yes, higher lie if you play with a shorter stick then typical for your height. The higher the number, the closer to 90 the angle of the blade with the shaft is.
Except Harrow tapered blades .... which are good blades and sell for $40 through their website or store if you should be lucky enough for a local shop to carry them.

No I do not work for them and am not associated with them in any way other than I play hockey and like good quality stuff for a reasonable price instead of paying for a name and getting good stuff.

I spout off about Harrow a lot but I use it and love it. I've been using the same blade all summer up until now and play defense which makes much more stick damage from stick checking, shin whacking, shot blocking etc.

It has some chips here and there from that but is still solid.

... if anyone cares .... http://www.hockeystick.com

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
  #28
PensFreak
Registered User
 
PensFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Love the Iginla curve from Easton.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
  #29
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Except Harrow tapered blades .... which are good blades and sell for $40 through their website or store if you should be lucky enough for a local shop to carry them.

No I do not work for them and am not associated with them in any way other than I play hockey and like good quality stuff for a reasonable price instead of paying for a name and getting good stuff.

I spout off about Harrow a lot but I use it and love it. I've been using the same blade all summer up until now and play defense which makes much more stick damage from stick checking, shin whacking, shot blocking etc.

It has some chips here and there from that but is still solid.

... if anyone cares .... http://www.hockeystick.com
I highly doubt any store near me would have them. Every store in Ottawa I go to says "sorry, we don't have many blades."

How's the 300 Series Blade? What kind of shipping cost would it be to Canada? It doesn't seem like they have it in a lie 6 though, I guess I might be able to use a 5.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
X:60 blades aren't much more expensive the dolo blades. All composite tapered blades seem to sell around $60.

And yes, higher lie if you play with a shorter stick then typical for your height. The higher the number, the closer to 90 the angle of the blade with the shaft is.
It seems like I've gotten a store that'll sell me the dolo for $20, that's why I'm trying to go for it. EDIT: Never mind, turns out it only comes in lefty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
Love the Iginla curve from Easton.
Haha, that's what I'm using now.

This has nothing to do with the blade but last game my laces came undone and I messed them up bad. My skate is a size 7, so I need a 96" lace right?


Last edited by mememe000: 01-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.
mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
  #30
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
OK, I think I'm sold on Harrow. Any place that reply's to a email within 60 seconds with helpful info should be supported!

I'm going to pattern #2. (It's like the CCM Thornton curve which I love. Makes my slap shots suck though...)


mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
  #31
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,039
vCash: 500
Now that's a hook!

I may need to try a #4...

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
  #32
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Now that's a hook!

I may need to try a #4...
I find it hard to believe its 9/16"

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:41 AM
  #33
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
OK, I think I'm sold on Harrow. Any place that reply's to a email within 60 seconds with helpful info should be supported!

I'm going to pattern #2. (It's like the CCM Thornton curve which I love. Makes my slap shots suck though...)

To answer your question above the 5.5 lie is pretty much a 6. I have a small handful of 6 lie blades here by different companies and some are not the same as the others and that seems to vary company to company a little bit for some reason.

It is also possible that this is the first 5.5 lie I have ever purchased and it may eyeball similarly to the 6 lie and is one of those "to me" things. It may very well follow some legit scale of measure but I have always used 6 lie stick blades and the 5.5 #7 is what I use and it feels like a 6 lie "to me".

I have seen in here people posting about warrior lies not being the same as other companies as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Now that's a hook!

I may need to try a #4...
I want to try one as well, I bought a #5 and did not like the 5 lie. I don't know what I was thinking honestly. The blade is also shorter than a normal blade and is pretty much like the Easton Heatley blade which also runs shorter than most.

I shoulda gone with the #4 for sure as that one resembles the old CCM Recchi blade pattern.


Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 01-14-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
  #34
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Dang it, I'm getting sucked into buying a shaft as well! What flex should I get? I'm using a 85 Flex right now and I'm about 135 pounds.

The RBK 10k is way to stiff for me, I still don't know if I'll keep it or not. It's also a tad too short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I find it hard to believe its 9/16"
It looks huge, but it isn't that much, it's just the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
To answer your question above the 5.5 lie is pretty much a 6. I have a small handful of 6 lie blades here by different companies and some are not the same as the others and that seems to vary company to company a little bit for some reason.

It is also possible that this is the first 5.5 lie I have ever purchased and it may eyeball similarly to the 6 lie and is one of those "to me" things. It may very well follow some legit scale of measure but I have always used 6 lie stick blades and the 5.5 #7 is what I use and it feels like a 6 lie "to me".

I have seen in here people posting about warrior lies not being the same as other companies as well.



I want to try one as well, I bought a #5 and did not like the 5 lie. I don't know what I was thinking honestly. The blade is also shorter than a normal blade and is pretty much like the Easton Heatley blade which also runs shorter than most.

I shoulda gone with the #4 for sure as that one resembles the old CCM Recchi blade pattern.
Thanks for the info on blade lie. I stand up straighter, so I think a lie 6 will work great. My current stick is 5 I think and I always feel like I'm sitting on the ice...

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
  #35
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
I'm selling the 10k shaft. It's just too short and stiff.

I'm getting offered a Harrow 2-piece stick for $120 + tax + shipping = $150ish. Is that a good deal?

What flex should I get? I'm about 135 pounds.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
  #36
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
Dang it, I'm getting sucked into buying a shaft as well! What flex should I get? I'm using a 85 Flex right now and I'm about 135 pounds.

The RBK 10k is way to stiff for me, I still don't know if I'll keep it or not. It's also a tad too short...



It looks huge, but it isn't that much, it's just the photo.



Thanks for the info on blade lie. I stand up straighter, so I think a lie 6 will work great. My current stick is 5 I think and I always feel like I'm sitting on the ice...
I'm also a tall upright type skater, you see that sometimes. Blake Wheeler for the Bruins uses a 7 lie from what I read. He is an upright as well.

We are ALL different when it comes to hockey. it makes it interesting!

I have used and own about 4 5 lie blades I bought on clearance for cheaps. not sure why I even bothered other than to have a backup stick should I break one.

I dislike the 5 lie for me because I hit the toe first when shooting and you lose power in your shot and it adds wobble to the slapshot even if you know how to shoot one. You really have to concentrate more when shooting to get good ones off so I use these for outdoor ice or shinny sometimes where people frown on slapshots.

They are still good for passing ... I think one could pass okay even with stiff cardboard stapled to a broom handle. I mean it is passing for crying out loud.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
  #37
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I'm also a tall upright type skater, you see that sometimes. Blake Wheeler for the Bruins uses a 7 lie from what I read. He is an upright as well.

We are ALL different when it comes to hockey. it makes it interesting!

I have used and own about 4 5 lie blades I bought on clearance for cheaps. not sure why I even bothered other than to have a backup stick should I break one.

I dislike the 5 lie for me because I hit the toe first when shooting and you lose power in your shot and it adds wobble to the slapshot even if you know how to shoot one. You really have to concentrate more when shooting to get good ones off so I use these for outdoor ice or shinny sometimes where people frown on slapshots.

They are still good for passing ... I think one could pass okay even with stiff cardboard stapled to a broom handle. I mean it is passing for crying out loud.
That seems to be the issue I have with my slapshoots, the toe hits first and it wobbles a ton. Hopefully this stick will be better.

Still need help on the flex. I'm ordering it in a few hours.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
  #38
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Just ordered the shaft with #2. Came to $120 + $40 of tax and shipping. I ended up getting 85 flex since I find 65 is too soft and 95 is too hard.

Totally off topic but why do I find a junior 65 flex wood CCM stick harder to bend then a 95 flex senior Sherwood?

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.