HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking for a blade for my shaft

Old
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 500
X:60 blades aren't much more expensive the dolo blades. All composite tapered blades seem to sell around $60.

And yes, higher lie if you play with a shorter stick then typical for your height. The higher the number, the closer to 90 the angle of the blade with the shaft is.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 02:53 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
X:60 blades aren't much more expensive the dolo blades. All composite tapered blades seem to sell around $60.

And yes, higher lie if you play with a shorter stick then typical for your height. The higher the number, the closer to 90 the angle of the blade with the shaft is.
Except Harrow tapered blades .... which are good blades and sell for $40 through their website or store if you should be lucky enough for a local shop to carry them.

No I do not work for them and am not associated with them in any way other than I play hockey and like good quality stuff for a reasonable price instead of paying for a name and getting good stuff.

I spout off about Harrow a lot but I use it and love it. I've been using the same blade all summer up until now and play defense which makes much more stick damage from stick checking, shin whacking, shot blocking etc.

It has some chips here and there from that but is still solid.

... if anyone cares .... http://www.hockeystick.com

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
PensFreak

Love the Iginla curve from Easton.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
mememe000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Except Harrow tapered blades .... which are good blades and sell for $40 through their website or store if you should be lucky enough for a local shop to carry them.

No I do not work for them and am not associated with them in any way other than I play hockey and like good quality stuff for a reasonable price instead of paying for a name and getting good stuff.

I spout off about Harrow a lot but I use it and love it. I've been using the same blade all summer up until now and play defense which makes much more stick damage from stick checking, shin whacking, shot blocking etc.

It has some chips here and there from that but is still solid.

... if anyone cares .... http://www.hockeystick.com
I highly doubt any store near me would have them. Every store in Ottawa I go to says "sorry, we don't have many blades."

How's the 300 Series Blade? What kind of shipping cost would it be to Canada? It doesn't seem like they have it in a lie 6 though, I guess I might be able to use a 5.5.

Quote:

It seems like I've gotten a store that'll sell me the dolo for $20, that's why I'm trying to go for it. EDIT: Never mind, turns out it only comes in lefty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
Love the Iginla curve from Easton.
Haha, that's what I'm using now.

This has nothing to do with the blade but last game my laces came undone and I messed them up bad. My skate is a size 7, so I need a 96" lace right?

Last edited by mememe000: 01-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.
mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
mememe000

OK, I think I'm sold on Harrow. Any place that reply's to a email within 60 seconds with helpful info should be supported!

I'm going to pattern #2. (It's like the CCM Thornton curve which I love. Makes my slap shots suck though...)

Old
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Now that's a hook!

I may need to try a #4...

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Now that's a hook!

I find it hard to believe its 9/16"

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
OK, I think I'm sold on Harrow. Any place that reply's to a email within 60 seconds with helpful info should be supported!

I'm going to pattern #2. (It's like the CCM Thornton curve which I love. Makes my slap shots suck though...)

To answer your question above the 5.5 lie is pretty much a 6. I have a small handful of 6 lie blades here by different companies and some are not the same as the others and that seems to vary company to company a little bit for some reason.

It is also possible that this is the first 5.5 lie I have ever purchased and it may eyeball similarly to the 6 lie and is one of those "to me" things. It may very well follow some legit scale of measure but I have always used 6 lie stick blades and the 5.5 #7 is what I use and it feels like a 6 lie "to me".

I have seen in here people posting about warrior lies not being the same as other companies as well.

Quote:
Now that's a hook!

I want to try one as well, I bought a #5 and did not like the 5 lie. I don't know what I was thinking honestly. The blade is also shorter than a normal blade and is pretty much like the Easton Heatley blade which also runs shorter than most.

I shoulda gone with the #4 for sure as that one resembles the old CCM Recchi blade pattern.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 01-14-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old
01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
mememe000

Dang it, I'm getting sucked into buying a shaft as well! What flex should I get? I'm using a 85 Flex right now and I'm about 135 pounds.

The RBK 10k is way to stiff for me, I still don't know if I'll keep it or not. It's also a tad too short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I find it hard to believe its 9/16"
It looks huge, but it isn't that much, it's just the photo.

Quote:
To answer your question above the 5.5 lie is pretty much a 6. I have a small handful of 6 lie blades here by different companies and some are not the same as the others and that seems to vary company to company a little bit for some reason.

It is also possible that this is the first 5.5 lie I have ever purchased and it may eyeball similarly to the 6 lie and is one of those "to me" things. It may very well follow some legit scale of measure but I have always used 6 lie stick blades and the 5.5 #7 is what I use and it feels like a 6 lie "to me".

I have seen in here people posting about warrior lies not being the same as other companies as well.

I want to try one as well, I bought a #5 and did not like the 5 lie. I don't know what I was thinking honestly. The blade is also shorter than a normal blade and is pretty much like the Easton Heatley blade which also runs shorter than most.

I shoulda gone with the #4 for sure as that one resembles the old CCM Recchi blade pattern.
Thanks for the info on blade lie. I stand up straighter, so I think a lie 6 will work great. My current stick is 5 I think and I always feel like I'm sitting on the ice...

Old
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
mememe000

I'm selling the 10k shaft. It's just too short and stiff.

I'm getting offered a Harrow 2-piece stick for $120 + tax + shipping = $150ish. Is that a good deal?

What flex should I get? I'm about 135 pounds.

Old
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
Dang it, I'm getting sucked into buying a shaft as well! What flex should I get? I'm using a 85 Flex right now and I'm about 135 pounds.

The RBK 10k is way to stiff for me, I still don't know if I'll keep it or not. It's also a tad too short...

It looks huge, but it isn't that much, it's just the photo.

Thanks for the info on blade lie. I stand up straighter, so I think a lie 6 will work great. My current stick is 5 I think and I always feel like I'm sitting on the ice...
I'm also a tall upright type skater, you see that sometimes. Blake Wheeler for the Bruins uses a 7 lie from what I read. He is an upright as well.

We are ALL different when it comes to hockey. it makes it interesting!

I have used and own about 4 5 lie blades I bought on clearance for cheaps. not sure why I even bothered other than to have a backup stick should I break one.

I dislike the 5 lie for me because I hit the toe first when shooting and you lose power in your shot and it adds wobble to the slapshot even if you know how to shoot one. You really have to concentrate more when shooting to get good ones off so I use these for outdoor ice or shinny sometimes where people frown on slapshots.

They are still good for passing ... I think one could pass okay even with stiff cardboard stapled to a broom handle. I mean it is passing for crying out loud.

Old
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
mememe000

Quote:
I'm also a tall upright type skater, you see that sometimes. Blake Wheeler for the Bruins uses a 7 lie from what I read. He is an upright as well.

We are ALL different when it comes to hockey. it makes it interesting!

I have used and own about 4 5 lie blades I bought on clearance for cheaps. not sure why I even bothered other than to have a backup stick should I break one.

I dislike the 5 lie for me because I hit the toe first when shooting and you lose power in your shot and it adds wobble to the slapshot even if you know how to shoot one. You really have to concentrate more when shooting to get good ones off so I use these for outdoor ice or shinny sometimes where people frown on slapshots.

They are still good for passing ... I think one could pass okay even with stiff cardboard stapled to a broom handle. I mean it is passing for crying out loud.
That seems to be the issue I have with my slapshoots, the toe hits first and it wobbles a ton. Hopefully this stick will be better.

Still need help on the flex. I'm ordering it in a few hours.

Old
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
mememe000

Just ordered the shaft with #2. Came to $120 + $40 of tax and shipping. I ended up getting 85 flex since I find 65 is too soft and 95 is too hard.

Totally off topic but why do I find a junior 65 flex wood CCM stick harder to bend then a 95 flex senior Sherwood?