HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers comments on Burrows/Auger incident.

Old
01-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Crossbar Ping

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Why not? The NHL should aspire to be as professional and well-run as the NFL.
Well if the NHL only had 16 games instead of 82 it would help simplify things. But I agree that some stuff is a little bush league

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Also you will see refs who will "even up" the penalties. one team gets 3 in the first period to the other teams zero, you know by the end of the 2nd that the PP chances will be more even. even if they have to make things up with a borderline call.
On the Auger/Burrows subject. I am not sure if Burrows should have not opened his mouth publicly. He should have taken it up with the Nucks GM(lost on his name right now) Running your mouth about the officials is only going to hurt him because he questioned the integrity of a NHL official. It wont be just Auger he will have to deal with.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Also you will see refs who will "even up" the penalties. one team gets 3 in the first period to the other teams zero, you know by the end of the 2nd that the PP chances will be more even. even if they have to make things up with a borderline call.
On the Auger/Burrows subject. I am not sure if Burrows should have not opened his mouth publicly. He should have taken it up with the Nucks GM(lost on his name right now) Running your mouth about the officials is only going to hurt him because he questioned the integrity of a NHL official. It wont be just Auger he will have to deal with.
Eh, if you read between the lines on the anonymous officials quoted about this, it sounds like they believe Burrows' story. I can see other officials being more peeved about one official blowing the mystique of their integrity as opposed to a player calling him on it.

EDIT: I'll also note that I'm enjoying all these NHL commentators babbling about how NHL referees are the bomb-diggity and would never do such a thing. Get a grip guys, those guys are human and hold grudges just like everyone else...none of them are by rule different than someone like Crawford in the NBA.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, if you read between the lines on the anonymous officials quoted about this, it sounds like they believe Burrows' story. I can see other officials being more peeved about one official blowing the mystique of their integrity as opposed to a player calling him on it.

EDIT: I'll also note that I'm enjoying all these NHL commentators babbling about how NHL referees are the bomb-diggity and would never do such a thing. Get a grip guys, those guys are human and hold grudges just like everyone else...none of them are by rule different than someone like Crawford in the NBA.
I have always thought that NHL referees hold more grudges then any other group of officials in any other sport. Right or wrong they dont like it when one of their own gets called out publicly. I think this may have been handled differantly by the league if Burrows had gone through the proper channels. The NHL will never, ever admit publicly that there is a problem with one of their officials holding a grudge. Fining him or suspended Auger would have been a admission of guilt by Cambell and the NHL on one of their officials.

Old
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
I have always thought that NHL referees hold more grudges then any other group of officials in any other sport. Right or wrong they dont like it when one of their own gets called out publicly. I think this may have been handled differantly by the league if Burrows had gone through the proper channels. The NHL will never, ever admit publicly that there is a problem with one of their officials holding a grudge. Fining him or suspended Auger would have been a admission of guilt by Cambell and the NHL on one of their officials.
Well, I agree completely that there is an "old boys club" mentality within the NHL to their detriment...and while I doubt Burrows was that calculating, it was clearly a better path (if he cared about what happened) to air it publicly and accept the fine than go through closed channels. We never would have heard of it.

I also think the NHL has zero way to gather the necessary evidence on Auger to actually do anything about this...but if you read those officials quotes, I think they buy that he did something wrong...and that being the case, would you want to work with him? I really think Auger has a serious problem here...as the tape doesn't look good for him at all, and if complaints about him already existed as Meltzer reports...

On the whole, the NHL needs to adopt a public and transparent system of evaluating officials and admitting when notable mistakes are made. I don't think every ticky-tack call needs to be addressed...but things like what is going on with the Pitt TV situation is a joke. Don't sweep it under the rug, deal with that publicly...admit that a serious transgression occurred and the system failed.

Old
01-13-2010, 03:05 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Maybe, but you have to put the NBA up there or above. If you've watched/listened to Donaghy at all, you can see how much more of an impact NBA refs have on a game based on grudges than an NHL ref. Donaghy basically said that he would place bets based on who was playing -- but more importantly -- who was doing the games because all refs talked to each other and it was clear who was liked and who was hated. Now granted, it's Donaghy and he's not exactly a shining beacon of honesty and integrity, but I'm willing to bet (no pun intended) that there's a decent amount of truth in his words.

Now in hockey, there are 19 guys who are on the ice a game. Some more than others, but they all get playing time. In the NBA, there's like a max of 10 guys playing, and the big-name players eat up minutes. It's much easier to screw over a basketball team with a star player you hate on it because there's a good chance that he's gonna be out there a lot more.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Maybe, but you have to put the NBA up there or above. If you've watched/listened to Donaghy at all, you can see how much more of an impact NBA refs have on a game based on grudges than an NHL ref. Donaghy basically said that he would place bets based on who was playing -- but more importantly -- who was doing the games because all refs talked to each other and it was clear who was liked and who was hated. Now granted, it's Donaghy and he's not exactly a shining beacon of honesty and integrity, but I'm willing to bet (no pun intended) that there's a decent amount of truth in his words.

Now in hockey, there are 19 guys who are on the ice a game. Some more than others, but they all get playing time. In the NBA, there's like a max of 10 guys playing, and the big-name players eat up minutes. It's much easier to screw over a basketball team with a star player you hate on it because there's a good chance that he's gonna be out there a lot more.
Part of that is a factor of volume rather than the intensity of the grudges. NBA officials make so many more calls a game, that any animosity they may carry towards a player/team can have a more significant fact...if a NHL official calls a penalty here or there on a guy he doesn't like it doesn't add up the same way.

Old
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Well, I agree completely that there is an "old boys club" mentality within the NHL to their detriment...and while I doubt Burrows was that calculating, it was clearly a better path (if he cared about what happened) to air it publicly and accept the fine than go through closed channels. We never would have heard of it.

I also think the NHL has zero way to gather the necessary evidence on Auger to actually do anything about this...but if you read those officials quotes, I think they buy that he did something wrong...and that being the case, would you want to work with him? I really think Auger has a serious problem here...as the tape doesn't look good for him at all, and if complaints about him already existed as Meltzer reports...

On the whole, the NHL needs to adopt a public and transparent system of evaluating officials and admitting when notable mistakes are made. I don't think every ticky-tack call needs to be addressed...but things like what is going on with the Pitt TV situation is a joke. Don't sweep it under the rug, deal with that publicly...admit that a serious transgression occurred and the system failed.
So Burrows comes out and airs it publicly. Something that many around NHL circles know about or at the very least suspect. What came of it? Burrows gets fined, nothing happens with Auger and we are right back to square one minus Burrows 2,500 bucks.
Look I am not saying Burrows shouldnt have spoken up. I just dont think he wasnt going to accomplish anything with Colin Campbell and the NHL by doing what he did.
Remember Roenicks "WAKE UP NHL" rant? what did that accomplish? nada.

Old
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Part of that is a factor of volume rather than the intensity of the grudges. NBA officials make so many more calls a game, that any animosity they may carry towards a player/team can have a more significant fact...if a NHL official calls a penalty here or there on a guy he doesn't like it doesn't add up the same way.
Yea that's why I put "based on grudges" in italics. If basketball were played like hockey, and if 18 to 20 guys touched the court each night for one particular team, it wouldn't stand out as much/they wouldn't have as much impact.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
So Burrows comes out and airs it publicly. Something that many around NHL circles know about or at the very least suspect. What came of it? Burrows gets fined, nothing happens with Auger and we are right back to square one minus Burrows 2,500 bucks.
Look I am not saying Burrows shouldnt have spoken up. I just dont think he wasnt going to accomplish anything with Colin Campbell and the NHL by doing what he did.
Eh...if he goes through his Coach/GM we likely never hear about it and the NHL can act like it never happened. He's fined, but the NHL can't act like it didn't happen. The NHL can't act like TSN/ESPN aired footage of Auger skating up to Burrows before the game...corroborating Burrows claim that Auger spoke to him before the game, if not what he said. The NHL cannot ignore the fact that the highlights of the penalties were then aired and scrutinized...and found to be very questionable calls at best. While it's certainly true that by speaking up Burrows didn't prove his case, in the public sphere Auger has a massive problem, and the NHL has an incident that may cause them to do something about their officials going forward.

It took the Eric Gregg 12 inches on either side of the plate in the WS game for MLB to begin to get serious about their umpires and the strike zone. Anyone who watched the tape of that game saw how ridiculous it was.

Here you have a player making a claim and circumstantial footage from the game that gives a good bit of legitimacy to his story. NHL can't sweep that under the rug. They could if he went through the "proper channels".

Old
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea that's why I put "based on grudges" in italics. If basketball were played like hockey, and if 18 to 20 guys touched the court each night for one particular team, it wouldn't stand out as much/they wouldn't have as much impact.
No, I meant literal volume of calls...not volume on any one player. A starting player is going to be involved in what, an average of 10 foul calls a game (note: by this I mean an offensive player attacking the rim, etc.)? Basketball officials are making how many foul calls a game on each team? There were 36 combined in the Detroit/Washington game last night (and if FTs are involved, that's essentially awarding points) and that's without factoring in all the other calls officials make that give possession to one or the other team, etc.

In hockey they're making 10 combined "foul" calls, and cannot award possession (only location of draws). So by the very nature of the sport the officials have a more passive role in the game.

Old
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
thewayitis

Quote:
Why? What proof do you have?

And to the guy who said the two NHL officials should confer with each other before making a call, you're clueless and I guarantee you've never refereed in your life. THAT'S what this league needs....to be slowed down!

Last edited by GKJ: 01-13-2010 at 06:23 PM.
thewayitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayitis View Post

And to the guy who said the two NHL officials should confer with each other before making a call, you're clueless and I guarantee you've never refereed in your life. THAT'S what this league needs....to be slowed down!
Absolutely. Because getting it right is far less important than getting the game over in a hurry.

Got a mirror handy?

Last edited by GKJ: 01-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.
CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Do you have proof that they don't? This league needs for refs to stop being blatantly stupid.

Last edited by GKJ: 01-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Roenick's rant increased scrutiny on referee Blaine Angus and his job performance, and he did eventually get fired.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:15 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Based on how some players (like Conroy) and former players (like Ferraro and Keith Jones) have responded to the issue, I think Burrows only harmed himself and, by extension, the team he plays for. When it comes to marginal calls in the future, Burrows probably won't get the benefit of the doubt, something Flyers fans should be very familiar with based on the organization's reputation.

Auger wasn't disciplined now, but he won't be seeing many playoff games in the near future... though, it's unlikely he would have, anyway, since he's a pretty terrible referee. The NHL handled the situation as expected and nothing will change across the league going forward.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
UseYourAllusion

By the way:

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Do you have proof that they don't? This league needs for refs to stop being blatantly stupid.
Hahaha wow. I'm sorry but people that point to the lack of evidence proving something doesn't exist are nutjobs.

You might as well put tinfoil on your head. Aliens exist! Prove that they don't!!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Hahaha wow. I'm sorry but people that point to the lack of evidence proving something doesn't exist are nutjobs.

You might as well put tinfoil on your head. Aliens exist! Prove that they don't!!
http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=305809

Quote:
Is it conceivable that Auger was embarrassed and maybe even criticized for assessing a major penalty against Smithson on Dec. 8 because of Burrows' acting job? Referees are only human. If a player makes a monkey of a referee, there is going to be a price to be paid. It could come in the form of that player not getting a call when fouled or maybe getting whistled himself on a marginal call. Or both. And as long as the game of hockey has been played, there's been a give and take between the players and officials that goes beyond the “official” channels.

In the 2002 Olympics, for example, a player had an on-ice run-in with an NHL official in Salt Lake City. In the first NHL regular season game involving that player and that referee after the Olympics, the ref called two minors and a misconduct on the player. The player gave the surrender sign, apologized to the ref and that was the end of it. That sort of thing happens more than we know. In a perfect world, it doesn't. In a perfect world, the players never show up the refs and if they do, the refs ignore it and never let it affect them because they are totally impartial and above any human feelings of revenge. That's in a perfect world.
Yeah, negative arguments of something (you don't have proof therefore it does not exist) are rarely a strong way to go about things. However, in this case McKenzie provides us with a nice anecdote of the supposedly non-existent actually happening.

Old
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Idiots.
God forbid we get the decision right if the game is already stopped anyways.

Dear God no.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
You might as well put tinfoil on your head.
Early nominee for post of the new year!

Are you saying you DON'T have tinfoil on your head right now?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
No, I meant literal volume of calls...not volume on any one player. A starting player is going to be involved in what, an average of 10 foul calls a game (note: by this I mean an offensive player attacking the rim, etc.)? Basketball officials are making how many foul calls a game on each team? There were 36 combined in the Detroit/Washington game last night (and if FTs are involved, that's essentially awarding points) and that's without factoring in all the other calls officials make that give possession to one or the other team, etc.

In hockey they're making 10 combined "foul" calls, and cannot award possession (only location of draws). So by the very nature of the sport the officials have a more passive role in the game.
I don't know which sport the referees play a greater role in, so I won't disagree with your point. But I don't know that the case you're making for it is sound.

I'm just going to do an anecdotal comparison between your basketball game and the hypothetical hockey game.What is the league average for scoring on a powerplay? Let's say 20 percent to make it easy. Basketball players usually get two foul shots for a foul against them (let's ignore "and 1" situations and three point fouls, let's also assume they hit all of their foul shots even though we know they don't).

So the value of a foul is 2 points, and the value of a power play we'll set at .2 goals. Using your two numbers (36, 10), we should get 2 goals resulting from power plays a game, and 72 points from the free throw line. Those numbers seem high for the free throws and low for the power play goals, but I'll use them. 2 goals should be about 40% of the scoring in a hockey game, and 72 points is about 40% of the scoring in a basketball game (I think the league average is like 95 pts/game right?). My numbers are wonky and imprecise, but it's probably close enough that you could make an argument either way.

I think you might be right about the refs in the NBA having more influence though, simply because of the subjectivity of what a foul is in the NBA. The refs can make it impossible for a team to defend at all if they really want to. In the NHL they can make some iffy calls on stick work or contact in front of the net, but I don't know that they can completely neuter/handcuff a defense the way they can in the NBA.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
This is why reputation players at some point kill your team. It's not right what Auger did, and good for Burrows for calling him out on it, I'm sure the fine is peanuts to him compared of making people aware. But this wouldn't be an issue of Burrows wasn't blacklisted by the league.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I have always thought that NHL referees hold more grudges then any other group of officials in any other sport.
Quote:
That type of thing would be really difficult to provide proof for or against. But I can honestly say I've never seen any other sport where referees take as much **** as they do in hockey. Nor have I seen any other sport where they give it back as much. I have heard refs openly tell a ref that they're "****ing blind" and making "bull **** calls", and I have seen a youtube of a ref telling a player to stop "****ing around". That dynamic can't help keep refs unbiased. I can't imagine a player in the NFL going up to a ref and saying that and not getting thrown out. I can't imagine a ref using that language either. I think that the NHL would do well to reestablish stricter boundaries and professionalism in the way that the two parties interact.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
wckdclw

Refs are definately becoming a part of the game. I was there this year for opening night against the caps and in OT when i believe it was richards who was going after the puck the ref KICKED the puck towards one of the Caps players who the got a shot off. Obviousally they didnt score but i was like WTF?

Since i DVR'd the game i went home and watched OT just to see it again because it kind of just blew my mind that the game was being handled that way.There was numerous ghost penalties against the flyers that whole game.

wckdclw is offline   Reply With Quote