HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers comments on Burrows/Auger incident.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2010, 07:06 PM
  #76
thomaszwei
 
thomaszwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summit Station, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
It's not surprising to see the Flyers agreeing with Burrows. It really wasn't all that long ago when Mike Richards went out and said the Flyers don't seem to get many calls in close games based on their team's history as goons and thugs.

It's impossible for me to read this thread without immediately thinking of Bill McCreary. He's retired now, but I swear that guy was out to get the Flyers every time he officiated a game.

Regardless of what happens, I'm glad some attention was brought to the whole ordeal. I'm just sad it had to be Burrows who called it out; it's a shame it's not a more reputable player.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
  #77
JagerPuck
Registered User
 
JagerPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the 215
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Every time I go to or watch a Flyers' game and the official is Stephane Auger, I scream till my lungs ache. I cant stand that guy, probably the WORST official in the NHL.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
  #78
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I'd love to see officiating splits of every official and the penalties per game of each team when they are officiating. As long as the sample sizes are large enough there may be some interesting data.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:52 PM
  #79
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I'd love to see officiating splits of every official and the penalties per game of each team when they are officiating. As long as the sample sizes are large enough there may be some interesting data.
I bet the sample sizes are pretty decent. Lot of these guys have been around forever.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
  #80
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Saw this on Twitter:

am640Brady: Great point by Pierre McGuire tonight on Auger: hasn't been called to work a playoff game/4 seasons. I bet he refs his last game in April.

The NHL is gonna Blaine Angus Auger

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
  #81
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Auger is worse than OJ.

See what I did there... with the words and the thing and the such...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
  #82
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Auger is worse than OJ.

See what I did there... with the words and the thing and the such...

That was sheer genius

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:05 PM
  #83
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Why not? The NHL should aspire to be as professional and well-run as the NFL.
yes they should - will they? hell no.

The best sport in the world is run by idiots ruining the integrity of the game. Goals are called no goal because some dick in pittsburgh decides not to send the video. Refs like Auger absolutely do have agendas against certain players and teams. Just look at the calls that were made on Burrows during that game - they were horrid.

Gonchar crushes Clutterbuck without the puck in retalliation for a perfectly clean hit and nothing happens. If Clutterbuck crushes Gonchar there and Gonchar plays dead for a few minutes - Clutterbuck would get at least 10 games because Gonchar plays for Bettman and Campbell's butt love team.

These are just a few examples of how the league is going to crap. No wonder attendence is down.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
  #84
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayitis View Post
Why? What proof do you have?

And to the guy who said the two NHL officials should confer with each other before making a call, you're clueless and I guarantee you've never refereed in your life. THAT'S what this league needs....to be slowed down!
LOL.
I dont need to say anything else, your post just got ripped to shreads by other people.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
  #85
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Roenick's rant increased scrutiny on referee Blaine Angus and his job performance, and he did eventually get fired.
Yeah you are probably right about that. I was trying to think of a vocal post game rant on a official and the JR rant was the first to pop in my head.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
  #86
thomaszwei
 
thomaszwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summit Station, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
yes they should - will they? hell no.

The best sport in the world is run by idiots ruining the integrity of the game. Goals are called no goal because some dick in pittsburgh decides not to send the video. Refs like Auger absolutely do have agendas against certain players and teams. Just look at the calls that were made on Burrows during that game - they were horrid.

Gonchar crushes Clutterbuck without the puck in retalliation for a perfectly clean hit and nothing happens. If Clutterbuck crushes Gonchar there and Gonchar plays dead for a few minutes - Clutterbuck would get at least 10 games because Gonchar plays for Bettman and Campbell's butt love team.

These are just a few examples of how the league is going to crap. No wonder attendence is down.
This post made my whole morning.

100% agree with the comments about Gonchar and the Pens. He took a cheap shot at the guy and got away with it. This is the way the NHL looks at stuff if the player "doesn't have a history" of doing that sort of stuff, though. Richards took a run at some guy on the Panthers earlier this season and got away with it also...but then, Briere got suspended for a "charge" against that guy on the Avs?

You can blame some of the attendance woes on the fact that the country is in a recession and the average person isn't going to shell out money for professional sporting events. Attendance is down in all sports, so it's not just the NHL that's suffering.

That being said, I think the biggest problem in the NHL isn't the fact that the people running the show are a bunch of idiots, though that's partly to blame. There's plenty of incompetence in other sports as far as refereeing and management goes. It's often said that you can call holding on every play in the NFL for example - and the refs there routinely blow touchdown and pass interference calls. But the NFL rakes in tons of cash and utterly destorys in TV ratings.

The problem with the NHL is that for some god-for-saken reason, they just don't know how to market the sport. Hockey is faster then it's ever been, scoring is up more than ever before and there's a whole new generation of young players out there, so I can't understand how they haven't been able to raise interest.

A few years ago, this problem really came to my attention when I saw a stark contrast to the way games were being advertised when compared to other leagues. The NBA had sharp, edgy stuff that caught your eye, with the Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get It Started" synced up to dancers and NBA highlights on ESPN. The NHL, by contrast, had commercials with Shania Twain explaining the rules of hockey.

Of course, this whole Versus/Directv debacle isn't helping things either.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:42 AM
  #87
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
This post made my whole morning.

100% agree with the comments about Gonchar and the Pens. He took a cheap shot at the guy and got away with it. This is the way the NHL looks at stuff if the player "doesn't have a history" of doing that sort of stuff, though. Richards took a run at some guy on the Panthers earlier this season and got away with it also...but then, Briere got suspended for a "charge" against that guy on the Avs?

You can blame some of the attendance woes on the fact that the country is in a recession and the average person isn't going to shell out money for professional sporting events. Attendance is down in all sports, so it's not just the NHL that's suffering.

That being said, I think the biggest problem in the NHL isn't the fact that the people running the show are a bunch of idiots, though that's partly to blame. There's plenty of incompetence in other sports as far as refereeing and management goes. It's often said that you can call holding on every play in the NFL for example - and the refs there routinely blow touchdown and pass interference calls. But the NFL rakes in tons of cash and utterly destorys in TV ratings.

The problem with the NHL is that for some god-for-saken reason, they just don't know how to market the sport. Hockey is faster then it's ever been, scoring is up more than ever before and there's a whole new generation of young players out there, so I can't understand how they haven't been able to raise interest.

A few years ago, this problem really came to my attention when I saw a stark contrast to the way games were being advertised when compared to other leagues. The NBA had sharp, edgy stuff that caught your eye, with the Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get It Started" synced up to dancers and NBA highlights on ESPN. The NHL, by contrast, had commercials with Shania Twain explaining the rules of hockey.

Of course, this whole Versus/Directv debacle isn't helping things either.
I'm kind of nitpicking here but Briere did deserve some sort of action for that hit (the one against the Avs right?), it was a kind of jumping crosscheck to the guys upper chest, neck, or face after a goal had been scored.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
  #88
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,445
vCash: 1161
In the 80s, there was an incident involving Chicago's Tom Lysiak who tripped a linesman during a game against Hartford moments after being tossed from a faceoff. Lysiak got suspended for 20 games, which at the time was the longest (or close to it) in NHL history. The Hawks took the matter to court and received a temporary injunction.

At the same time, the officials threatened legal action if the NHL didn't uphold the suspension and John Ziegler (Pres of the NHL at the time) in turn suggested to the officials that if they did anything (work stoppage) that he would take necessary measures against them.

Eventually, the NHL allowed Chicago an appeal which was heard during the in-season Board of Governors' meetings in Florida. The day the NHL upheld the 20-game suspension, the Hawks played that night in Philadelphia and lost late in the game. Chicago's head coach Orval Tessier went on a tirade against the NHL and the officials and said something like "We paid the price today in Florida and we paid the price tonight in Philadelphia, tell the NHL to call off the officials."

That same year, the Hawks had two other players serve suspensions for on-ice matters (ex-Flyer Behn Wilson [involving Steve Yzerman] and former 1980 U.S. Olympian Jack O'Callahan [a stick incident, IIRC]). Denis Savard could have been a fourth for kicking a player but the NHL ruled no suspension was warranted.

About a year after the Hawks-Flyers' game, following a game in Washington (IIRC), Tessier went ballistic about the officiating in that game and claimed that he was told by someone there would be a two-year vendetta against Chicago by the officials because of the Lysiak trip. It wasn't his only reference to the trip in that time, either.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
  #89
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Every time I go to or watch a Flyers' game and the official is Stephane Auger, I scream till my lungs ache. I cant stand that guy, probably the WORST official in the NHL.
Him, Lee, and Van Massenhoven stick out in my mind. Massenhoven less for the horrid calls than for stupidity that seems to happen in games he officiates with regularity.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
  #90
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
It's not surprising to see the Flyers agreeing with Burrows. It really wasn't all that long ago when Mike Richards went out and said the Flyers don't seem to get many calls in close games based on their team's history as goons and thugs.

It's impossible for me to read this thread without immediately thinking of Bill McCreary. He's retired now, but I swear that guy was out to get the Flyers every time he officiated a game.

Regardless of what happens, I'm glad some attention was brought to the whole ordeal. I'm just sad it had to be Burrows who called it out; it's a shame it's not a more reputable player.
McCreary is still around (done a couple Flyer games this year), is retiring at the end of the year, and will be an official at the Olympics: http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/oth...38346-qmi.html

And I don't think McCreary was out to get the Flyers...he's just a ****. If you watch him officiate other games, he's pretty consistent in that regard.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
  #91
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Saw this on Twitter:

am640Brady: Great point by Pierre McGuire tonight on Auger: hasn't been called to work a playoff game/4 seasons. I bet he refs his last game in April.

The NHL is gonna Blaine Angus Auger
Didn't Auger do some of the Flyers-Habs games two years ago? I feel like he was the one who called that kneeing or tripping penalty on Richards late in game one.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:49 AM
  #92
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
What a joke, you think the NFL has these types of problems?
Yes, but they use the non-call

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:27 PM
  #93
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
i think alot of the problems with the officiating stem from the fact that they are an extension of the league office. penalties are a part of the game in hockey. theres a give and take that goes on in alot of cases and sometimes they go your way and sometimes they dont but a penalties a penalty and while its not the nfl they do a decent job of it. then thers that next level of enforcing the leagues brand of discipline on who gets the calls, which calls are worse then others and which penaties are worse then others and thats what i think makes them the worst. its not that theyre bad referees its that i think referees make for poor league officials. and its an easy fix. remove the instigator. enforcing the rules and disciplining the players are two different jobs and i dont think one guy should be doing both.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
  #94
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think alot of the problems with the officiating stem from the fact that they are an extension of the league office. penalties are a part of the game in hockey. theres a give and take that goes on in alot of cases and sometimes they go your way and sometimes they dont but a penalties a penalty and while its not the nfl they do a decent job of it. then thers that next level of enforcing the leagues brand of discipline on who gets the calls, which calls are worse then others and which penaties are worse then others and thats what i think makes them the worst. its not that theyre bad referees its that i think referees make for poor league officials. and its an easy fix. remove the instigator. enforcing the rules and disciplining the players are two different jobs and i dont think one guy should be doing both.
That's how every league operates, though. So, it isn't really a good explanation for their problems.

NHL officials--similar to officials in other leagues where we've seen problems--suffer from too much job security. NHL needs to do a better job of grading its officiating and giving them a real incentive to improve and/or maintain themselves at a high level.

I shouldn't KNOW when I'm going to be in for a long night of aggravation with an official due to seeing/hearing his name. Bad calls happen, but there are guys like Auger, Lee, (Angus when he was around), etc. that are just bad refs.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:43 PM
  #95
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's how every league operates, though. So, it isn't really a good explanation for their problems.
its a mentality. when you view a penalty as part of the flow of the game its a technical or mechanical thing. its a bad play. when a penalty is punishment its a comment on a particular player or style of play.

the league has taken to a mindset where they want to showcase their stars similar to the nba. the nba uses its rules to showcase its players as opposed to the nfl which uses its rules to showcase its game and it shows in how they officiate the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
NHL officials--similar to officials in other leagues where we've seen problems--suffer from too much job security. NHL needs to do a better job of grading its officiating and giving them a real incentive to improve and/or maintain themselves at a high level.

I shouldn't KNOW when I'm going to be in for a long night of aggravation with an official due to seeing/hearing his name. Bad calls happen, but there are guys like Auger, Lee, (Angus when he was around), etc. that are just bad refs.
amen. this is the first year in a while where some rule or another didnt change and i was looking forward to an increase in consistency. so far ive been disappointed. not only has there been the same variance in the judgement calls im still questioning the judgements.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
  #96
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
its a mentality. when you view a penalty as part of the flow of the game its a technical or mechanical thing. its a bad play. when a penalty is punishment its a comment on a particular player or style of play.

the league has taken to a mindset where they want to showcase their stars similar to the nba. the nba uses its rules to showcase its players as opposed to the nfl which uses its rules to showcase its game and it shows in how they officiate the games.
Eh, the NFL protects the living hell out of their skill position players and has augmented the rule book a TON to increase scoring in the league. NHL's rules are meant to favor skill, similar to the NFL, more than they are specifically star players.

Quote:
amen. this is the first year in a while where some rule or another didnt change and i was looking forward to an increase in consistency. so far ive been disappointed. not only has there been the same variance in the judgement calls im still questioning the judgements.
The only season in recent memory I was impressed with the consistency was straight out of the lockout with the attention given to it in advance of the season. Since then it's been a slow degradation down to where we're at now. They're certainly more on top of obstruction than they were prior to the lockout, but it has gotten notably more lax rather than the players adjusting to the officiating.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
  #97
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,943
vCash: 500
If anyone is interested, Ron MacLean is going to be on the Vancouver radio station in a couple of minutes. http://www.teamradio.ca/index.php?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.