HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet.ca's Brophy says Russian stars might be lured to KHL by tax free millions

Old
01-13-2010, 10:44 PM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
I doubt that North American players would, however, if European players could make as much money staying at home as they could in the NHL, a lot of them would stay.
The floating, money>>wins ones might. Many of these guys are super competitive types, who need to prove themselves against the best competition they can. At this point the leagues are not even close on that front

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
I doubt that North American players would, however, if European players could make as much money staying at home as they could in the NHL, a lot of them would stay.
you're acting as if every single player will be getting paid a ridiculously larger sum of money then they would in the NHL. The KHL is not and never will be capable of paying run of the mill players outrageous sums of money just for the fact that they can. The KHL may be able to "pay" the stars but the league will not survive by overpaying. The KHL does not function that way. The big named guys get paid alot and the lower tier players get paid very very little.

As it was mentioned before David Beckham signed a $250M contract to play in the US. You do not see the league throwing that at every single Soccer star around the world. Beckham is the sole player that will be paid that and if the KHL "steals" Kovalchuk so what. It is not capable of taking a large majority of the worlds stars with the way the league is built.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
The floating, money>>wins ones might. Many of these guys are super competitive types, who need to prove themselves against the best competition they can. At this point the leagues are not even close on that front
At this point, they are not. That can change.

Remember the lockout? Remember how it seemed that the owners beat the NHLPA badly in the new CBA?

Well, payrolls are now higher than they were before the lockout. In fact, the salary floor is higher than the payroll of the last pre-lockout team to win the Stanley Cup.

There's still several NHL teams losing money, despite the cap. If there is another prolonged lockout, the KHL can expect a surge in talent level and may well manage to keep a good portion of it when the NHL returns.

It's not critical now, but it's not something to wave off like it's no big deal.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
The fact that Sweden and Germany and Finland are great places to live with, ya know, freedom and democracy and the rule of law means that the KHL is really far away from being an entity that can seriously headhunt quality talent from those countries let alone being able to have teams in those countries.

The KHL will be like Japanese baseball. It will get some marginal foreign players but nothing too crazy.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:02 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
It's not critical now, but it's not something to wave off like it's no big deal.
Yes it is. It has not manifested in any way as to be considered a reasonable threat, at this point or in the future. And, I doubt it will.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The fact that Sweden and Germany and Finland are great places to live with, ya know, freedom and democracy and the rule of law means that the KHL is really far away from being an entity that can seriously headhunt quality talent from those countries let alone being able to have teams in those countries.

The KHL will be like Japanese baseball. It will get some marginal foreign players but nothing too crazy.
One big difference between Japanese baseball and the KHL-Japanese baseball leagues would have to draw off a financially healthy sport with no salary caps.

The KHL is already in the process of placing a team in Sweden.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
UseYourAllusion

Old
01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:

Unlike your horse with a pylon stapled to it's melon, this warty MFer exists, and is worth billions of dollars.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
The KHL is already in the process of placing a team in Sweden.
Don't hold your breath.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Unlike your horse with a pylon stapled to it's melon, this warty MFer exists, and is worth billions of dollars.
be that as it may, I'll believe that the KHL is a real league, which represents a legitimate competitor to the NHL, when I see it.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Don't hold your breath.

I'm not. As is stated before, I don't see this as an immediate threat, but ignoring it could be a big mistake.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
I'm not. As is stated before, I don't see this as an immediate threat, but ignoring it could be a big mistake.
No one's ignoring it. What would you propose that the NHL do?

It's a ****ing corrupt league run supported by an oppressive dictator. Should Bettman write a sternly worded letter? I mean, ****...

Old
01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

It's a ****ing corrupt league run supported by an oppressive dictator. Should Bettman write a sternly worded letter? I mean, ****...
You obviously underestimate the sway Bettman holds on the world stage....

Old
01-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Nice.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:

Bend over backwards to avoid another work stoppage, re-open the CBA to tweak the escrow account that apparently has Ovechkin so upset...

Old
01-13-2010, 11:32 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Classic.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Bend over backwards to avoid another work stoppage, re-open the CBA to tweak the escrow account that apparently has Ovechkin so upset...
Ovechkin just wants money and he wants it now. He's not exactly the most mature person on the planet. He'd be pissed at anything compared to what Russia would give him.

Old
01-14-2010, 03:04 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Do you understand that the KHL business model is sustainable only in Russia? And maybe not even there.

In Russia, you can get away with paying the best guys 15 mill and the worst guys peanuts and then not even paying them, in a place like Sweden, you aren't going to be able to get away with that because Sweden isn't an authoritarian country.

Plus, do you think that Canadians, Americans, and Swedes (3 of the major talent-producing countries) are going to be jumping over each other to go play in Russia?
this.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:02 AM
TheKeg

Well, when I hear KHL now, I think of the Charlestown Chiefs. All I can say is that the must be enjoying the show!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,212617

To me the KHL will never be a rival to the NHL, especially when potential draft picks play in the league. The crap that was pulled with Kirill Kabanov is nothing more than a power play that tried to stop him from coming to the NHL (they wanted him to sign a contract under new rules that stated he'd belong to the club till he was 28, and that if he were to leave he'd have to pay a hefty transfer fee - hence him now in Canada).

TheKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:47 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:

I believe in the past year or so the Swedish hockey team AIK (I think that's it) was considering joining the KHL because they couldn't get out of the second tier league back into the Elitserien. Maybe someone from Sweden can say more about it?

edit: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4671698
edit 2: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=705188&page=1
some people on the boards don't actually believe it will happen though

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-14-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: change spelling of eliserien
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I agree with all the people saying the KHL is unstable and they don't have the money to pay people like that, but thing is that if guys like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc bolt over there, the league will start to be more stable and could threaten the NHL. Right now there is no chance of that happening, but if some high profile guys go over there, that is when you gotta start worrying.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
txpd

Two seasons ago Brophy suggested that the Caps needed to trade Ovechkin.
"Let’s face it, with Ovechkin in their lineup, the Capitals have shown no signs of being a playoff team. There are no guarantees re-signing Ovechkin will make the Capitals a successful franchise. In fact, if history has taught us anything, moving a young star just might be the best medicine for a struggling team."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Ovechkin.html

I think he is just trying make a big noise.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree with all the people saying the KHL is unstable and they don't have the money to pay people like that, but thing is that if guys like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc bolt over there, the league will start to be more stable and could threaten the NHL. Right now there is no chance of that happening, but if some high profile guys go over there, that is when you gotta start worrying.
That is all I was saying. It's a potential issue down the road.

Old
01-14-2010, 09:31 AM
MiD

Finland, Sweden, Germany are great but... check out how many players from Europe plays in KHL now... only few teams have financial troubles and this teams can sell top players to others
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MiD: 01-14-2010 at 09:38 AM.
MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Kaktus*

lazy/greedy were mentioned yet??

Can KHL compete with NHL right now? Of course not. Will it at some point down the road? I do not see why not.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote