HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rich Hammond's Lombardi Interview

Old
01-14-2010, 03:43 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Rich Hammond's Lombardi Interview

http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=3209

Talks about the team's attitude, Kopitar, Brown and Frolov, replacing Williams and dealing with injuries in general.

Pretty interesting, particularly at the end in regards to Frolov.

Quote:
So in terms of a trade, you can’t ever say that somebody is untouchable. If you’re asking me, if we can’t get a deal done, if we would trade him for a first-round or a second-rounder, no. That doesn’t mean we wouldn’t make a hockey deal, but I don’t see us making our team worse, which is essentially would I did at every deadline up to this point. The reality was, when you’re trading all those guys, you’re making your team worse but you’re making your reserve list stronger. Now, with a guy like Fro, I don’t see that. A hockey deal? Maybe.
I find it very relieving to hear straight up that Frolov won't get shipped off for a pick.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Lombardi sure loves some Lombardi. He hasn't accomplished anything in 4 years and he acts like they are ahead of schedule? Without some serious scoring help, this team will not make the playoffs this year and would be in doubt for next year if Murray is kept around.

I'm getting tired of hearing how young the "core" is and how much cap space is available. Just get some legit scoring help for this team. Just do your job Lombardi and stop congratulating yourself.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Lombardi sure loves some Lombardi. He hasn't accomplished anything in 4 years and he acts like they are ahead of schedule?
Trolling?

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Kings man 4 life

^^ seriously

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Trolling?
What tangible results has he accomplished in 4 years? Being in first for a day?

I'm glad that ownership finally seems to be letting the hockey people run the team, but a lot of GMs could have accomplished more with three straight top 5 picks and all of the cap space the Kings have. If he doesn't add another scorer before the Olympic break, this will be another lost season. Are we so used to failure that we think fading in January rather than December is an accomplishment?

I was very happy to read that Murray has finally decided to start coaching the team by watching tape of when they were successful in the offensive zone to start the season. We will see tonight if the team has learned anything. We are quickly approaching the time when every game is going to be a must win. If we loss our 4th straight home game tonight, it may be too late.

Old
01-14-2010, 10:34 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

I'm glad that ownership finally seems to be letting the hockey people run the team, but a lot of GMs could have accomplished more with three straight top 5 picks and all of the cap space the Kings have. If he doesn't add another scorer before the Olympic break, this will be another lost season. Are we so used to failure that we think fading in January rather than December is an accomplishment?

I was very happy to read that Murray has finally decided to start coaching the team by watching tape of when they were successful in the offensive zone to start the season. We will see tonight if the team has learned anything. We are quickly approaching the time when every game is going to be a must win. If we loss our 4th straight home game tonight, it may be too late.
This question and the statement at the end are definitely reasons to lose faith. In some of the fans, not Lombardi.

Once again, this season is not just about this season.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
This question and the statement at the end are definitely reasons to lose faith. In some of the fans, not Lombardi.

Once again, this season is not just about this season.
How many seasons are you willing to give Lombardi before the team has to accomplish anything? Even Lombardi felt the team should make the playoffs this year. If Frolov walks, we will need 2 top 6 forwards this off-season. Where are they going to come from?

Why is it always that you're not a fan if you question the leadership? I will always be a fan of the Kings, this is the team that I'm passionate about. The Kings are the only team that actually can affect my mood, no other sport's team does that for me.

You do not have any problem with just waiting for Kopitar and Brown to "get it"? What if they have already peaked and do not ever take the next step? Wouldn't having a Gaborik or Kovalchuk help with releaving some of the pressure on them?

Last edited by Sydor25: 01-14-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

Not doubting, just would like to see link. From your statement, is it to be implied that TM didn't watch tape previously? Is that true? Is there any (competitive) coach in the league that doesn't watch tape? Why in tyhis day and age would any coach think they need NOT utilize one of the best teaching tools available, particualrly for a younger (media raised) core of players?

If what you are saying is true, then I have lost the little faith I had left in TM.

P.S. edit: KINGS17: What about losing faith in the coach if the above turns out to be true?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Not doubting, just would like to see link. From your statement, is it to be implied that TM didn't watch tape previously? Is that true? Is there any (competitive) coach in the league that doesn't watch tape? Why in tyhis day and age would any coach think they need NOT utilize one of the best teaching tools available, particualrly for a younger (media raised) core of players?

If what you are saying is true, then I have lost the little faith I had left in TM.

P.S. edit: KINGS17: What about losing faith in the coach if the above turns out to be true?

http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=3205

the fact that he's never mentioned going over this much tape is what is leading to conjecture.

i find it hard to believe that given the fact that the GM is a to a fault micro-manager, his coach isn't VERY similar at the very least... they're kindred.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
William H Bonney

Geee Dean, It thought your letter in May should have established the pressure and expectations already:

Quote:
``I want to assure you that all of our end-of-season discussions with our players involved a clear message and understanding that next season carries an expectation that we will be playing playoff hockey.''
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...pectation.html

Sounds like more of the same from Dean.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
How many seasons are you willing to give Lombardi before the team has to accomplish anything? Even Lombardi felt the team should make the playoffs this year. If Frolov walks, we will need 2 top 6 forwards this off-season. Where are they going to come from?

Why is it always that you're not a fan if you question the leadership? I will always be a fan of the Kings, this is the team that I'm passionate about. The Kings are the only team that actually can affect my mood, no other sport's team does that for me.

You do not have any problem with just waiting for Kopitar and Brown to "get it"? What if they have already peaked and do not ever take the next step? Wouldn't having a Gaborik or Kovalchuk help with releaving some of the pressure on them?
I gave Lombardi a couple of seasons actually and after I saw that he had finally put the organization on the only path that has a chance to lead to ultimate success I became satisfied and decided to sit back, watch, and enjoy the ride.

Frolov may walk. It won't be the end of the world. I along with many others, happen to think that one of the top six spots next year is as obvious as a one hour plane ride and the number Randy Jones is wearing these days.

Never said you weren't a fan. I just don't have any faith in your ability to see the big picture that's all.

How do you know that Kopitar and Brown aren't getting "it". Sometimes results come a good deal after the proper mindset has been established. These guys are learning to be leaders from some of the best character guys in the NHL (Smyth, Williams, Handzus, O'Donnell, Scuderi). I don't want Gaborik or Kovalchuk to come in here and take the pressure off of Kopitar and Brown. I want them to learn how to deal with it. The support system they have in place for those two right now is plenty adequate for them to do that.

Old
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

What wabwat said.

Any guy that goes out and paints black dots in front of both goals his first day as coach of the team watches plenty of tape.

Old
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Quote:
I gave Lombardi a couple of seasons actually and after I saw that he had finally put the organization on the only path that has a chance to lead to ultimate success I became satisfied and decided to sit back, watch, and enjoy the ride.

Frolov may walk. It won't be the end of the world. I along with many others, happen to think that one of the top six spots next year is as obvious as a one hour plane ride and the number Randy Jones is wearing these days.

Never said you weren't a fan. I just don't have any faith in your ability to see the big picture that's all.

How do you know that Kopitar and Brown aren't getting "it". Sometimes results come a good deal after the proper mindset has been established. These guys are learning to be leaders from some of the best character guys in the NHL (Smyth, Williams, Handzus, O'Donnell, Scuderi). I don't want Gaborik or Kovalchuk to come in here and take the pressure off of Kopitar and Brown. I want them to learn how to deal with it. The support system they have in place for those two right now is plenty adequate for them to do that.
Well said. We need our young guns to grow the hard way so that they will be that much better and we won't have to hit this bump again and again.

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
These guys are learning to be leaders from some of the best character guys in the NHL (Smyth, Williams, Handzus, O'Donnell, Scuderi). I don't want Gaborik or Kovalchuk to come in here and take the pressure off of Kopitar and Brown. I want them to learn how to deal with it. The support system they have in place for those two right now is plenty adequate for them to do that.
I agree with lot of what you're saying in regards to DL. However, in regards to learning to be leaders, every team in the league has handful of players that can be referred to as charecter guys and leaders so, I really don't see your point. Furthermore, IF guys like Kopi and Brown are learning from best character guys, and they truly are learning from some of the best as you say then they should be able to deal with the addition of Kovy or Gabby should they not? Maybe we should add more pressure on them by trading away some of our talent to facilitate their leadership progress.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I agree with lot of what you're saying in regards to DL. However, in regards to learning to be leaders, every team in the league has handful of players that can be referred to as charecter guys and leaders so, I really don't see your point. Furthermore, IF guys like Kopi and Brown are learning from best character guys, and they truly are learning from some of the best as you say then they should be able to deal with the addition of Kovy or Gabby should they not? Maybe we should add more pressure on them by trading away some of our talent to facilitate their leadership progress.
This is true, and Dean even mention that in i think it was the frozen royalty interview. It isn't question of will the young guys like Kopi and Brown will able to take in a "diva" type player like Kovy it's a matter of if they are ready now? Really that's something we as fans can't answer, cause we're not in the locker rooms. we don't know these guys. DL said that they where ahead of schedule in that department, now does that mean the Kings go out trade for Kovy (or a similar player) right now, or do we go after them in the off-season. Do we do more damage then good if we have to trade too much for Kovy. These are the questions. IMO. Just because we have Kovy on our team doesn't mean we win 5 cups in a row. Hell the Thrashers have had him for years and they sucked every year!! Gabby didn't win any cups for the Wild either. Jagar didn't do anything for the Caps. Hell even Wayne Gretzky didn't win any cups for the Kings. (not saying you feel that way RH63. I just go rolling with it haha)

IMO. It goes back to Sexy Picks. That's what Kovy is, he's a sexy pick. He's not a franchise savior. No player is, not even the greatest one of all time was. (when it came to wining cups) That's why i'm against trading for Kovy. I think trading for him does more damage then good. Now singing him as a free agent. That's another story.

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
IMO. It goes back to Sexy Picks. That's what Kovy is, he's a sexy pick. He's not a franchise savior. No player is, not even the greatest one of all time was. (when it came to wining cups) That's why i'm against trading for Kovy. I think trading for him does more damage then good. Now singing him as a free agent. That's another story.
... It all depends on what condition the team is in before the "savior" player comes aboard. When Gretzky joined the Kings, they were 18th of 21 teams and coming off of two coaching changes during the past season alone -- not to mention that they were in the same division as a four-time Cup winner, the Oilers, as well as the only team that beat the Oilers in the playoffs during the past five years, the Flames, who were on their way to a Cup themselves. That Gretzky and the Kings were able to do what they did over the next 5 years, in the division they were in, is pretty spectacular when context is considered. Hell, they had to knock off defending champs just to get out of the first round in the first two years Gretzky was there. No easy assignment, right?

The Kings are in a much different boat now than they were in 1988. They're 12th of 30 teams as they stand right now, and playoffs aren't determined within a division anymore, they're determined by conference. The Kings have a solid coaching situation. As for their opponents ... the perennial Cup winners in their conference, Detroit, are not the dominating team they were. The other recent Cup winner in their conference, Anaheim, isn't either. They're both pretty tough, but they can be taken. The conference's two best teams numbers-wise still have not proven themselves to be playoff winners, although they might prove it as soon as this season; we just don't know yet. Three of the other teams ahead of the Kings in the conference are merely riding insanely hot goalies (Calgary, Colorado, and Phoenix) and if those goalies slump at all, those teams are suspect.

That the Kings are in the position they're in right now with goaltending that's 23rd in the NHL is clear evidence of their quality. The Kings aren't an overlucky team anymore with respect to one-goal games anymore, either, they're 12-11 in those games now. The Kings, despite the hysteria on this and other boards, are not far off from being contenders. They've maintained a winning record in spite of injuries across the board, which is evidence of their depth -- and depth is the #1 component to building a champion team. All a Marleau or a Kovalchuk would do is increase that depth by a little bit ... if by some miracle they retained Frolov and acquired Marleau as well, their depth would increase a lot, but I don't see it happening.

I think, that as fans, we're in for a very interesting 36 games. We're gonna see if the young goalie that's on the threshold of proving himself as a number 1 is in fact the real deal. We're also gonna see that about our number 1 center. Again, much of this team is learning by the day, by the game in fact. We're going to have a lot better idea once this season's over of where we stand and what the acquisition of someone like Kovalchuk would likely do to this team. If the Kings are on the doorstep of contention, a star player like that would probably push them in the door. It wouldn't be a "savior" situation at all, it would be more like a "last piece of the puzzle". We'll see.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... It all depends on what condition the team is in before the "savior" player comes aboard. When Gretzky joined the Kings, they were 18th of 21 teams and coming off of two coaching changes during the past season alone -- not to mention that they were in the same division as a four-time Cup winner, the Oilers, as well as the only team that beat the Oilers in the playoffs during the past five years, the Flames, who were on their way to a Cup themselves. That Gretzky and the Kings were able to do what they did over the next 5 years, in the division they were in, is pretty spectacular when context is considered. Hell, they had to knock off defending champs just to get out of the first round in the first two years Gretzky was there. No easy assignment, right?

The Kings are in a much different boat now than they were in 1988. They're 12th of 30 teams as they stand right now, and playoffs aren't determined within a division anymore, they're determined by conference. The Kings have a solid coaching situation. As for their opponents ... the perennial Cup winners in their conference, Detroit, are not the dominating team they were. The other recent Cup winner in their conference, Anaheim, isn't either. They're both pretty tough, but they can be taken. The conference's two best teams numbers-wise still have not proven themselves to be playoff winners, although they might prove it as soon as this season; we just don't know yet. Three of the other teams ahead of the Kings in the conference are merely riding insanely hot goalies (Calgary, Colorado, and Phoenix) and if those goalies slump at all, those teams are suspect.

That the Kings are in the position they're in right now with goaltending that's 23rd in the NHL is clear evidence of their quality. The Kings aren't an overlucky team anymore with respect to one-goal games anymore, either, they're 12-11 in those games now. The Kings, despite the hysteria on this and other boards, are not far off from being contenders. They've maintained a winning record in spite of injuries across the board, which is evidence of their depth -- and depth is the #1 component to building a champion team. All a Marleau or a Kovalchuk would do is increase that depth by a little bit ... if by some miracle they retained Frolov and acquired Marleau as well, their depth would increase a lot, but I don't see it happening.

I think, that as fans, we're in for a very interesting 36 games. We're gonna see if the young goalie that's on the threshold of proving himself as a number 1 is in fact the real deal. We're also gonna see that about our number 1 center. Again, much of this team is learning by the day, by the game in fact. We're going to have a lot better idea once this season's over of where we stand and what the acquisition of someone like Kovalchuk would likely do to this team. If the Kings are on the doorstep of contention, a star player like that would probably push them in the door. It wouldn't be a "savior" situation at all, it would be more like a "last piece of the puzzle". We'll see.
What he said.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
What he said.
Ditto.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I Furthermore, IF guys like Kopi and Brown are learning from best character guys, and they truly are learning from some of the best as you say then they should be able to deal with the addition of Kovy or Gabby should they not?
If you listened to DL's HNIC radio interview, he said just this the other day. When he talks about being "ahead of schedule", I think he is talking in terms of maturity with the players. He said that he thinks they are cohesive enough in the locker room where he could bring different guys in and it wouldn't matter. Something along those lines.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:12 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Ditto.
Ditto the ditto.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:28 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Ditto the ditto.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

So, if the Kings are 2 years away from being able to "handle" a player of Kovalchuk's ability, you pass on him as a free agent? Lombardi already passed on Gaborik, I don't want to see him pass on Kovalchuk. If Lombardi offers Kovalchuk 10+ years at $9+ million and Kovalchuk signs with someone else, that would be fine. But if Lombardi will only offer a 4-5 year deal when everyone else offers 10+ years, then I will be upset.

A player like Kovalchuk almost never hit FA at 26 years old. He probably won't hit FA, but if he does, Lombardi better offer whatever he wants.

Old
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:
So, if the Kings are 2 years away from being able to "handle" a player of Kovalchuk's ability, you pass on him as a free agent? Lombardi already passed on Gaborik, I don't want to see him pass on Kovalchuk. If Lombardi offers Kovalchuk 10+ years at $9+ million and Kovalchuk signs with someone else, that would be fine. But if Lombardi will only offer a 4-5 year deal when everyone else offers 10+ years, then I will be upset.

A player like Kovalchuk almost never hit FA at 26 years old. He probably won't hit FA, but if he does, Lombardi better offer whatever he wants.
He didnt sign him because he wouldve had to sign him to a long term deal with someone that is injury prone. Yes we know Lombardi has signed plenty of players that have had their injury problems......Zeus, Williams but none of them were for longer than 4 years and not at a huge salary. Gaborik has never been known as a team guy either. 3 years or less, yes I would have taken a chance on him.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
He didnt sign him because he wouldve had to sign him to a long term deal with someone that is injury prone. Yes we know Lombardi has signed plenty of players that have had their injury problems......Zeus, Williams but none of them were for longer than 4 years and not at a huge salary. Gaborik has never been known as a team guy either. 3 years or less, yes I would have taken a chance on him.
What would you offer Kovalchuk if he becomes a FA?

Old
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
What would you offer Kovalchuk if he becomes a FA?
One hundred billion dollars.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote