HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Traveling to Chicago

Old
01-10-2010, 01:06 PM
BeantownEMT

vCash: 500
Traveling to Chicago

I tried looking for a traveling thread but couldn't find one. If there is one, please merge.

I'm traveling to Chicago in April to see the Blackhawks play. I've never been to Chicago before so im basically clueless on where to stay, how the trains work,good places to drink/hang out etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on staying for a few days to check out the city so places to check out would be appreciated as well.

BeantownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:25 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
I'm probably not the biggest expert but I was there last summer.

I'd suggest trying to stay somewhere near the Miracle Mile, which is where all the good shopping is. Its also really close to the subway which is nice. I stayed in the Hilton on East Wacker, and the room was pretty cheap and pretty awesome.

However, the UC is more on the southside, so there may be better hotels down there. Someone who knows more than me can probably answer that.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
You must go see the amazing Chicago Spire

Truly something to be seen

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:54 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
imo that should be Jay Cutler's nickname

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

The UC is in the west loop basically and you really do NOT want to hang out around there. West End is one good bar over there before or after games. There are tons of places in the loop, I prefer Hubbard where you will find Rockit, Sub51 and on and on.

You probably do not want to deal with trains as much unless you're going North side to South side. Wrigleyville has a ton of good bars but it is winter. I would just cab it anywhere you want to go.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
However, the UC is more on the southside, so there may be better hotels down there. Someone who knows more than me can probably answer that.
No, it's on the west side. Madison Street is actually the divider of the north and south parts for address purposes. So I guess it is on the south side of the street.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
CommittedIndians

Don't miss the Willis Tower

If you're staying in the city, it's all about your price range. If you're flying, or driving into town, it might even be easier to get a hotel somewhere closer to O'Hare (Rosemont, or even Oak Brook) than in the city considering the UC is west of downtown by a fair amount.

My recommendation is to go to Billy Goat before the game, hit the game, get drunk, and then urinate in the River by the Wrigley Bldg before heading down to Navy Pier to see the skyline @ night

CommittedIndians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

I as well am traveling to Chicago on Thursday for the CBJ_CHI game. Anyone have some extra tickets that they would sell to me with the hf discount? PM me if you're holding!

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Cookie Man

Chicago in April

If you're going to Chicago, either look to stay in The Loop, or a bit further north in Lakeview. The Loop is the business hub, and will give you access to some seriously good spots to see as a tourist: Museum Row, The Theater District, and Millenium Park. All are walkable from the Loop, and you can spend entire days in both the museums and Millenium Park.

Lakeview is less sanitized. There's tons of ethnic restaurants, bars, and lots of people watching (it used to be the heart of gay chicago, and there's still lots of good stuff to see, particularly on Halsted St.)

If you stay in the Loop, you can catch a bus on Madison Ave. to the United Center. If in Lakeview, take the red line of the El to Madison, then switch to the United Center Express on gamedays.

Cookie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Mach 9*

There are some nice hotels close to the lake, that are less costly because they are south of wacker drive.

I.e. Fairmont,Hyatt,Sheraton.

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
I as well am traveling to Chicago on Thursday for the CBJ_CHI game. Anyone have some extra tickets that they would sell to me with the hf discount? PM me if you're holding!
Hawks tickets are going for a premium. You may want to check the web site the day of or the ticket exchange. Otherwise try stub hub. I would buy any tickets for face or just above if someone wanted to get rid of them.

Old
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
BlackhawkPaul
Indian Head Nation

Go to Kuma's on Belmont for the best burgers in town. Parking is great along the street-- the wait is a bit long, but worth it to get a Slayer Burger.

BlackhawkPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
BlackhawkPaul
Indian Head Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Hawks tickets are going for a premium. You may want to check the web site the day of or the ticket exchange. Otherwise try stub hub. I would buy any tickets for face or just above if someone wanted to get rid of them.
That's not happening.
Tickets are selling for the bad 300 level seats for nearly 75-100 per ticket now.

Old
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkPaul View Post
That's not happening.
Tickets are selling for the bad 300 level seats for nearly 75-100 per ticket now.
Yeah, this is crazy. In Columbus, most nights I have an impossible time selling my upper bowl 5th row attack twice corner seats for face value, which is only $26. I could only imagine selling my tickets for 3x and 4x face value against a bad team like Columbus... makes me wonder what kind of markup there is when Detroit, Pittsburgh, or the Leafs come to town!

I was able to luck into probably the worst seats for a visitor in your building (327 absolute end, 16th row) for only $60 a ticket on Ticket Exchange. After searching all week, I think I got a bargain, getting the wife and I in the doors for $125...

Maybe when we get there I'll try to play the old "trade with some cash" game with a scalper.

On a Chicago travel note, anyone have any thoughts on Mother Hubbard's Sports Pub (Hubbard and State St)? I think that's where we're going to pregame.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:38 AM
not dominator

You'd probably be better off picking a place closer to the arena that has a free shuttle to the game. The money you save on parking buys you booze instead! West End runs a shuttle and Bottom Lounge runs a *****in old school bus painted black.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkPaul View Post
That's not happening.
I know this. I was just trying to say getting tickets at face is a discount. That being said, season ticket holders will unload tickets at face last minute rather than eat them.

I usually call day of or the day before as the Hawks release additional seats reserved for the opposing team and other comp seats not being used. Most of these are lower bowl and in the $165 - $175 range.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
BlackhawkPaul
Indian Head Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I know this. I was just trying to say getting tickets at face is a discount. That being said, season ticket holders will unload tickets at face last minute rather than eat them.

I usually call day of or the day before as the Hawks release additional seats reserved for the opposing team and other comp seats not being used. Most of these are lower bowl and in the $165 - $175 range.
Which sucks, because it would be nice to make plans before attending a game.
Every so often, the boards I mod (Indian Head Nation) has members that are season ticket holders that sell games. Check it out, although pickings are slim.