HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf for Hartnell?

Old
01-14-2010, 12:44 PM
tripler0425

vCash: 500
Phaneuf for Hartnell?

I just read an article on espn and wanted to get everyone's opinion about this rumor. While it would be great to have another very talented defenseman in Phaneuf who can also hit,but losing Hartnell makes our forwards a little smaller. I like the deal but we need to find someone to replace his size. I was thinking Maroon but he is hurt I believe. I guess JVR would just move up and take his spot along side Carter and Briere.

Quote:
What Phaneuf could fetch in trade
8:40AM ET
Dion Phaneuf | Flames
Top Email

Dion Phaneuf may have asked for a trade and there may have been some buzz around the league about it.

But both GM Daryl Sutter and Phaneuf denied it.

But here's why he should go, according to The Sporting News: Phaneuf's market value will never be higher, the defense is just fine without him and they need secondary scoring: "Could Phaneuf be parlayed into a Vincent Lecavalier or Jason Spezza? Ilya Kovalchuk would be riskier because he's a pending UFA, but imagine the possibilities."

Phaneuf trade rumors have been in the air for a while, since he was rumored to be going to the Rangers. It's possible he's headed to the Flyersin a trade that involves Scott Hartnell.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-14-2010 at 03:51 PM.
tripler0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
buff

For me... It should be nice!!! But I don't believe that... I think Calgary want a player like Lecavalier to help their attack... Hartnell is not an impact player.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripler0425 View Post
I just read an article on espn and wanted to get everyone's opinion about this rumor. While it would be great to have another very talented defenseman in Phaneuf who can also hit,but losing Hartnell makes our forwards a little smaller. I like the deal but we need to find someone to replace his size. I was thinking Maroon but he is hurt I believe. I guess JVR would just move up and take his spot along side Carter and Briere.

What Phaneuf could fetch in trade
8:40AM ET
Dion Phaneuf | Flames
Top Email

Dion Phaneuf may have asked for a trade and there may have been some buzz around the league about it.

But both GM Daryl Sutter and Phaneuf denied it.

But here's why he should go, according to The Sporting News: Phaneuf's market value will never be higher, the defense is just fine without him and they need secondary scoring: "Could Phaneuf be parlayed into a Vincent Lecavalier or Jason Spezza? Ilya Kovalchuk would be riskier because he's a pending UFA, but imagine the possibilities."

Phaneuf trade rumors have been in the air for a while, since he was rumored to be going to the Rangers. It's possible he's headed to the Flyersin a trade that involves Scott Hartnell.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors
As much as I may be willing to move Hartnell, Phaneuf would tie WAY to much up on defense. $6.5!

I don't think it would work, but Phanuef would be popular here. That's for sure.

Hartnell and Coburn for Phaneuf and a pick?

We still need to dump salary somewhere. However, Coburn getting a raise to $3 mill would mean Coburn and Hartnell could total $7.25 next year. Phaneuf and Powe is cheaper in comparison ($7.15ish) ... And it gets JVR PP time ...

If you want to move Carle and Hartnell, the deal looks much worse for us, as Carle > Coburn at this point.

With Pronger's cap cut next season, Jones coming off the books, a small increase for Parent = our only worry is in net.

EDIT:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere
Maroon??-Powe-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

Carle-Pronger
Phaneuf-Timonen (YES!!!)
Syvret-Bartulis (hardly playing at all)

We would basically be going 1 and 1a with our top 4. Pronger, Timonen and Phaneuf all with over 22 mins a game.

As Pronger ages, Phanuef keeps us going on the backend. Pronger moves to full time 2nd pairing.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 01-14-2010 at 12:56 PM.
IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
MCAKES

rumor gretzky for hartnell

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
He could see Sean Avery more often then.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I'd rather trade Hartnell for a first and a young top 9 forward or something this offseason.

Then re-sign Coburn cheap, or trade him if he asks for too much. I'm sure we could at least get a first for him.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:10 PM
TheKingPin

I dont know people undervalued Knuble for PP needs. Same goes for Hartnell. The reason why Pitt sucks on the PP is they try to be to cute. Shots from the point, man in front, work the cross ice passes if they are there. Thats what makes a good PP. We have a great PP. We have a great D corp. Coburn sucking means we get to sign him for cheap. We all know hes good, sign him to a 3 year deal, he'll be fine.

The way Carle's been playing, im not sure I want a huge contract doing the same thing.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Scoopyten

Phaneuf is the most overrated player in the NHL. He has the rep of being a cancer in the room, is poor in his own end and has a HUGE cap hit.

He's basically a big Andy Delmore that can hit.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I'd rather aim for Regher if we are trading with the Flames

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

don't you have a bunch of talented Dman already? You have 2 #1s, even if Timonen is struggling a bit. I still wouldn't give up on Coburn yet.

I think Hartnell is undervalued. As a Devils fan, we'd compare him to Clarkson. Clarkson is a heart and soul/ grit guy who fights and (now) can score. His value on paper is one thing, but his value to the Devils is more than that. Hartnell is like that but a better player.

You don't need Phaneuf. A case can be made that Hartnell is hard to replace.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'd rather trade Hartnell for a first and a young top 9 forward or something this offseason.

Then re-sign Coburn cheap, or trade him if he asks for too much. I'm sure we could at least get a first for him.
Seems kind of counter-productive when you consider the two best defensemen on this team are nearing the decline.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Can't stand Phaneuf.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hartnell for Parse/Moller and a 1st?

I am a big fan of Parse btw, he is a kid who has turned himself into a pretty good player with alot of hard work. He has come along way since he turned pro.

Edit: I know its difficult to replace a guy like Hartnell, but If you do get an offer like I mentioned it may be too difficult to pass up with the current state of the future of this team.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
CantSeeColors

I want no parts of Phaneuf's contract on this team. I also want no parts of trying to learn how to spell Phaneuf properly without looking at the thread title.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Man, how far has Phaneuf's stock fallen that he's getting mentioned in rumors with Scott Hartnell?

Anyways, no thanks, we have enough salary problems as is.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If you guys think Coburn's usefulness in his own zone has dropped, wait until you see Phaneuf with his impressive fall from grace.

Coburn will eventually be a very good defenseman. Phaneuf will of course be much better when he figures out how to not overstretch himself, but not worth his contract to the Flyers right now.

We definitely shouldn't mess with our team, and I'd honestly like to hold on to Carle and Coburn long-term.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
don't you have a bunch of talented Dman already? You have 2 #1s, even if Timonen is struggling a bit. I still wouldn't give up on Coburn yet.

I think Hartnell is undervalued. As a Devils fan, we'd compare him to Clarkson. Clarkson is a heart and soul/ grit guy who fights and (now) can score. His value on paper is one thing, but his value to the Devils is more than that. Hartnell is like that but a better player.

Yea thats pretty false. At times he has been more consistent then Pronger. When he was playing bad he was hurt. Lately, he has looked VERY VERY good.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Phaneuf is the most overrated player in the NHL. He has the rep of being a cancer in the room, is poor in his own end and has a HUGE cap hit.

He's basically a big Andy Delmore that can hit.
Agreed. He definitely can hit, but 9 times out of 10, he also puts himself out of position when he's going for the big hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
I'd rather aim for Regher if we are trading with the Flames
Absolutely. And he comes with a much lower cap hit.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
involves Scott Hartnell
It would have to be Carle

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
so basically people are trying to say Phaneuf is a more expensive version of Denis Gauthier with a offensive game.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
thomaszwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post

I quite agree with this post, although I don't think Harnell's production would be that difficult to replace. He did go through a huge scoring drought recently and the Flyers haven't faltered in the way that the Pens have during Malkin's absence.

But nonetheless, the Flyers don't need yet another #1 defenseman. Timonen seems to be breaking out of his slump. I'm not ready to give up on Coburn just yet either, but I will be if he has yet another bad season next year. I'd probably deal him for a 1st if some team was willing to part with that for him, though knowing the Flyers history, he'd immediately turn great after we dealt him.

I don't think Phaneuf's terrible, he's just having an off year. But he isn't worth 6.5 million over the next four years and the Flyers can't afford another contract like that.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
agrudez*

Quote:

Am I wrong in my understanding that we get a 1st and a 3rd round pick if someone gives Coburn an offer sheet of 2M this offseason?

Why would we not give him the 10 pct raise on his contract that RFA status demands and then wait around to see if anyone gives an offer sheet.

It really is a win-win situation. We either get Coburn for 1.32M next season or someone (more likely) offers him 2M+ and we get a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. Sign me up!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Change Phaneuf to Volchenkov and Yes, Please.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
DrHamburg

Dions contract is big, but what are the flyers going to get that is any better for scott hartnell. I know people love him and I too am a fan. But he is a powerforward who takes too many dumb penalties and is average at best on defense. JVR could easily replace hartnells scoring. to me, wingers are easier to find than defense. Again this is assuming this is the best the flyers can get for hartnell.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

i want no part of dion "forehead" phaneuf and his awful cap hit. we have enough retarded contracts on this team. i'd much rather trade for robyn regher if we're partnering with the flames. he's one of the most underrated defenseman in the league and he works for his salary and deserves in IMO, but i doubt the flames would want to give him up for anything close to what we'd be willing to offer.

say no to dion frankenstein.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote