HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders Making Push For Kovalchuck

Old
01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Randizzle

vCash: 500
Islanders Making Push For Kovalchuck

Larry Brooks , reporting that Snow is stepping up efforts to get Kovalchuck...

Reported by Larry Brooks, in the NY Post

Snow will get this done!!! De Haan / Joensuu / Bergenheim / 1st Rounder -- will be enough

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...Dd5XbCaZvfozAJ

Last edited by Randizzle: 01-14-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Randizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

vCash: 50
Page not found ....

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WangMustGo
NYI

I really hope not, and if he does i hope its just for picks, and that they can resign Kovalchuk, or it would be a complete waste, and it would take a couple more years for this rebuild to be successful.

Edit: page not found, either way if there is any reason to believe the Islanders are after Kovalchuk that is how I feel about it.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Working link.

Old
01-14-2010, 01:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
AC Le Rock

I think it's a good idea. Kovy is a permier forward, why wouldn't you want him on your team? My only thought is this Isles teams has a good crop of forwards moving forward, it's their D-corps that worries me. They're probably better off using the pieces to land Kovy to get a premier defender.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Mr Lahey*

I hope not, their build is coming along nicely.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
GaryU

I hope for the Isles sake, he doesn't turn into the other Russian stiff they signed long term...

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I thought the Islanders had already traded for and then bought out Alexei Yashin?

Wait....

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
noobman

Does Kovalchuk have a no-trade clause?

If he does, I certainly don't see him wanting to go to the New York Islanders. If he doesn't and ends up with the Islanders, I don't see him resigning.

Seriously, is there anybody that actually *wants* to be a New York Islander? I still think that, if Kovalchuk doesn't up in Atlanta, he may go play in Russia for a year or so.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Randizzle

This is not the same Islanders my friend, you might need to fire up the old satellite dish & start watching some games...

Okposo / Bailey / Tavares / Streit --- 3 Top defense man in the system ready to make a impact ---Oh & yeah , MONEY TALKS!

Wang is the only owner with the cap space & motive (New Arena) crazy enough to pull the trigger on this move & then give Kovy a 10 year 100 million + contract ....

So YES , Kovy would come to NY in a NY MINUTE

Old
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Seriously, is there anybody that actually *wants* to be a New York Islander? I still think that, if Kovalchuk doesn't up in Atlanta, he may go play in Russia for a year or so.
Yes. People who are offered $120M want to be New York Islanders.

The KHL can offer a massive payment today (say, $20M), but the league lacks the history and the legitimacy to convincingly offer a player a 10+ year contract. There is simply no assurance that the league will be in the same position it is in today, that the same owners will be in place, that teams will not fold, etc. The very taxes and structural limitations that make the NHL restrictive also guarantee that the money you are supposed to get in 2020-21 is just as safe as the money you are going to get in 2010-11.

The KHL can not compete with a $120M offer unless at least, oh, half of that kind of money is to be delivered to Kovalchuk up front. You can't trust the owners to necessarily be in place, or be as solvent, in ten years' time. The only way you go for it is if payment of the $100M+ KHL contract comes in the form of huge signing bonuses that exceed 50% of the total contract value, which it would not do.

The whip hand that the NHL holds over the KHL is legitimacy and the sanctity of contracts, from the standpoint of players. You get guarantees with a NHL contract, along with your escrow and tax grumbles. You get no such guarantees and peace of mind from a long-term KHL contract.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
I call ********. Why would he go from Atlanta because he doesn't like how the club isn't competitive enough. If the Isles gut themselves for Kovy, they aren't going to be ready to compete for a long time.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I call ********. Why would he go from Atlanta because he doesn't like how the club isn't competitive enough. If the Isles gut themselves for Kovy, they aren't going to be ready to compete for a long time.
You are assuming that he wants out because Atlanta isn't winning, and that Atlanta has opened the vault for him. It could very well be that the holdup is that Atlanta is not sure it wants to pay this kind of coin.

Besides, he would be getting in on the ground floor of a pretty good thing. Tavares, Okposo, Bailey are no slouches. That's a nice core going forward.

Old
01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
SpezDispenser

That would be neat. Him and Tavares together....

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:29 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

if i were an islanders fan i wouldnt want this. up until this point they've been making a lot of good decisions during this rebuild. dropping youth/picks on a gamble like kovy is a huge risk that could stunt their rebuild for years

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Kaktus*

That would be fun. Atlantic would have Malkin, Crosby, Gaborik, Richards, Carter, Parise and Kovalchuk.

With some young kids like Staal, Tavares, Okposo, Giroux, JVR, Bergfors, Cally etc etc

Not to mention excellent collection of goaltenders and pretty damn good d-men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3RR27 View Post
if i were an islanders fan i wouldnt want this. up until this point they've been making a lot of good decisions during this rebuild. dropping youth/picks on a gamble like kovy is a huge risk that could stunt their rebuild for years
I am not saying it is a good move for NYI or a bad move.. Just curious what you mean when you say gamble Kovy and risks. What do you mean?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Randizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3RR27 View Post

This coming from a Ranger fan, who is crapping his pants thinking about the TKO line (Okposo-Tavares-Kovalchuck) skating circles around them at the garden 3 times a year...

Old
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

it would be stupid as a rental and probably not realistic long-term

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

so much tanking for a rental? as a leafs-fan my I know what I`m talking about when I say DONT DO THIS!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Randizzle

It would not be a rental....
Believe me Wang will open the vault before the trade is completed

Old
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Before this is over, Waddell is going to let one or two serious bidders speak to Kovalchuk/Grossman, because he knows full well that Kovalchuk in a trade-and-sign deal is worth far more to the Thrashers than a rental scenario.

Obviously, the Islanders would not be giving up these kinds of assets if Waddell refuses to let any club talk to him.

Old
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Section311

Ryan Smyth part 2???

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzle View Post
This coming from a Ranger fan, who is crapping his pants thinking about the TKO line (Okposo-Tavares-Kovalchuck) skating circles around them at the garden 3 times a year...
I could see Kovy and Tavares getting over a hundred points a year with KO digging pucks and doing his thing for another 70 to 90 points a well. Just deadly and could very well be the best line inthe NHL someday. Imagine the PP with Kovy on one side and tavares on the other?

anyway, the Isles are just over the cap minimum. Kovy's 10 million a year put s them I think league average and with a ton a youth and talent to fill in the other gaps as goalie position is locked up forever it would not be such a foolish thing for the Isles to look into. I am not so sure many teams have the cap position open or the cash to pay 10 million a year to a player. The Isles are one of them. I think it would be fairly easy for the Isles to talk Kovy into playing for them if they put up the money like they did for Captain Canada. Smyth had a liking for the Western Conference. What can you do. To me Kovy has no favorite or atleast it has not been reported. Its fortunate for the Isles that Atlanta is not a huge hockey market so Kovy can leave without a heavy heart like Smyth. Also, comparing Yashin to Kovy is just unfair to Kovy I think. His compete level is high as opossed to Yashin I feel and just may be worth the 10 million a year in a weird world we are living in

The Isles become a real force with Kovy and as early as this now. Their offense would be world class with depth and can compete with anyone, the goalie tandem of Rollie and DP are second to none and their defense their real weakpoint will keep them from winning anything but maybe a round or two but have some high draft picks plus more talent coming to make it a stronger unit down the road to make a run at the cup I feel. The question I have, why trade for him as a rental and loose some good assets when the can possibly just sign him as a URFA next year. If he hits the market, like I said, who has the cap room, plus the money willing to spend?

The Isles are one of those teams. Big markets like the rangers are in cap hell if I recall, plus Toronto as well ( I am guess on this, too lazy to confirm toronto cap ), Boston, I think will be a competitor, whom else, Detroit, Vancouver, Calagry, etc?

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
DPSNAGS

garth would not pull the trigger on a deal if he couldnt sign him before hand....2 years ago i believe garth had a deal to acquire huselius but it fell through becuase he could not sign huselius to an extension before hand

garth wont let what happen with smyth happen to him again especially with the rebuild going alon nicely...i have faith in garth and he knows what he is doing

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote