HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Korbinian Holzer

Old
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
Korbinian Holzer

Hey, just wondering... whats the chances this kid will make the NHL?

What kinda of player is he? (Any NHL comparisons?).

I like his size... but I can honestly say I've never seen him play.

Whats the chances that he'll make the Olympic squad?

Last edited by bobermay: 12-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.
bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
fuechsken

Okay, at first I have to say, that I didn't see him play this season, so I don't know how far he has improved recently.
In his rookie season in the DEL in 2007-08, he started out with some trouble but got used to the pace of the league during the second half of the season. In his second season 2008-09, he continued improve his solid defensive style. He is not a big scorer, but a solid stay-at-home defender, who dominates with his size. Although his size makes him look a little clumsy when handling the puck, he gets his work done.
It will be interesting to see, if he can make it to the NHL. If he keeps improving on his positioning and his agility, he could be a good No. 5-6 defender one day. But in my opinion, he still is a long shot away from this step and he very well might not make it. Being a solid defenseman in the DEL unfortunately has not much to do with being a solid defenseman overseas.
Maybe you get the chance to see him play at the Olympics. Uwe Krupp has to make the decision, if he wants him on the team, but he should be a good call for the third defensive pairing.

fuechsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
bobermay

Thanks for the update. People on the Leafs forum have said that Uwe Krupp has been impressed with Holzer, so hopefully the kid getts his shot.

OT: I've been to Mannheim! My Host family took me there. I lived near a town called Zweibrucken for 5 weeks. I was actually on the other side of the Rheinland-Pfalz border in Saarland. I've also been to Koln(Cologne), and pretty much that whole area of Europe.

Germany is awsome. Awsome people, Awsome food, Awsome Lifestyle, Awsome Beer!

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:01 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuechsken View Post
He is not a big scorer, but a solid stay-at-home defender, who dominates with his size.
i don't think so. he finally started to play more offensively, getting time on PP as well. he will never be an offensive threat, but i think he can develop into a 2way defender. his offensive skills aren't that bad. solid shot and he's able to use his stick for more than just cross-checking.

Quote:
Being a solid defenseman in the DEL unfortunately has not much to do with being a solid defenseman overseas.
agreed, but holzer is better suited for NA hockey than most germans simply because he's gritty. he good at cleaning the crease and using his body to defend. that's sort of a basic skill you need to have in order to survive overseas. and that is what he can build on. i think he took many steps forward this season and should try the AHL next season.

Quote:
Maybe you get the chance to see him play at the Olympics. Uwe Krupp has to make the decision, if he wants him on the team, but he should be a good call for the third defensive pairing.
with ehrhoff, seidenberg, sulzer, schubert, dietrich overseas and butenschon, schmidt as reliable Ds with NA experience, i don't think holzer is even close to make the team. even reiss should be ahead, maybe moritz mueller and osterloh too.
holzer is pretty new to the national team and his lack of experience will likely be what keeps him out of the olympics. but for the WC in germany he should be with the team.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:35 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Here are two recent goals. Decide for yourself if the goalie should have had them.

Seems like he's quite liked by his teammates.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:03 PM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
Decide for yourself if the goalie should have had them.
The goalie could have had them...
In his defense, the first one was slightly deflected, and the second shot was screened.
All the action looked like slow-motion....

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
fuechsken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i don't think so. he finally started to play more offensively, getting time on PP as well. he will never be an offensive threat, but i think he can develop into a 2way defender. his offensive skills aren't that bad. solid shot and he's able to use his stick for more than just cross-checking.
As I said I haven't seen him play recently. I would be delighted to see him becoming more engaged offensively, but as you said he will not become a big scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
agreed, but holzer is better suited for NA hockey than most germans simply because he's gritty. he good at cleaning the crease and using his body to defend. that's sort of a basic skill you need to have in order to survive overseas. and that is what he can build on. i think he took many steps forward this season and should try the AHL next season.

with ehrhoff, seidenberg, sulzer, schubert, dietrich overseas and butenschon, schmidt as reliable Ds with NA experience, i don't think holzer is even close to make the team. even reiss should be ahead, maybe moritz mueller and osterloh too.
holzer is pretty new to the national team and his lack of experience will likely be what keeps him out of the olympics. but for the WC in germany he should be with the team.
I think Holzer has a good chance to be at least taken into consideration when Uwe Krupp has to decide in his defensive squad. I would personally prefer him to some of the players you mentioned. I know he lacks experience but he can add more value to the team than e.g. Butenschön.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuechsken View Post
I know he lacks experience but he can add more value to the team than e.g. Butenschön.
I disagree with that. Butenschon brings leadership, size, and a ton of experience to this team. Considering all his years in the NHL, and on the national team I think he is guaranteed to be on the team and could possibly be in the running for captain.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:38 AM
fuechsken

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I disagree with that. Butenschon brings leadership, size, and a ton of experience to this team. Considering all his years in the NHL, and on the national team I think he is guaranteed to be on the team and could possibly be in the running for captain.
In my opinion, Butenschön is just totally overrated. He lacks speed and does not compensate for that with good positioning. He definitely brings a lot of experience, but he simply does not bring the required level of performance.

Edit:
As you can see here, Holzer is on the team, Butenschön isn't.

Old
01-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Sanderson

That's not really a good point, because Hecht and Schubert aren't on the team either, while Michael freakin Bakos is.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
fuechsken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
That's not really a good point, because Hecht and Schubert aren't on the team either, while Michael freakin Bakos is.
Don't ask me, why Bakos is on the team. In fact, I don't really like the defense at all. For example, why do we need Jason Holland and Jakub Ficenec? I guess so, because we do not have enough potential No. 1-2 defender.

Why don't we give Christopher Fischer or Andre Reiß a chance? Of course, they lack experience being just 21 and 23 years old. But they play a great season so far and I think it would be totally worth the risk.

Here is what I would like to see as our defensive parings:

Ehrhoff - Ficenec
Seidenberg - Holzer
Sulzer - Reiß
Schmidt - Fischer

Old
01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
FAL

No Schubert or just forgot about him?

FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL View Post
No Schubert or just forgot about him?
Nope, he isn't on the team as of right now.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote