HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Vapor X40 stick

Old
12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
brown4king

vCash: 500
Bauer Vapor X40 stick

just looking for some insight on this stick. i just broke my ccm vector v10 and am in the market looking for a new stick... this one caught my eye. does anyone know anything about it? thanks

brown4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
tony152

I have this stick, its an intermediate with a P88 curve. I used it 4 times and I really like it. I shoot better wrist shots than before and I also stickhandle better even though this may be because I was using a stick that was too long for me. Even if it's not the lightest stick, it's still pretty light. Still can't comment on durability so far. For the price, it's a good stick.

tony152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Placebo Effect

I've heard good things about it. I'm picking one up once I am able to get out of my bed. Hate the flu...

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:32 PM
AIREAYE

I bought this stick to replace my One55, I got it in 77 flex P106...shots are absolutely a world's difference (in a good way) with this stick and flex

Its also remarkable light for its price point and is amazing value for $100 too, def get it if you can

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Heat McManus

I've gotten nothing but positive responses from my customers on this stick. Guys ranging from former DIII college players to house leaguers they all are happy with the stick. It performs well and has a great price tag.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it's anything like last year's price point (Vapor XXV), it'd be an awesome stick. A lot like the old Dolomite, just a hair heavier with a hair less pop, puck feel isn't the greatest, but it's a solid stick with no frills.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
slackerracker

I'm getting this stick for christmas and my first chance to play with it will be jan 4th but i'm really excited to get it and beable to use it.

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
brown4king

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerracker View Post
I'm getting this stick for christmas and my first chance to play with it will be jan 4th but i'm really excited to get it and beable to use it.
let me know how that goes

Old
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If it's anything like last year's price point (Vapor XXV), it'd be an awesome stick. A lot like the old Dolomite, just a hair heavier with a hair less pop, puck feel isn't the greatest, but it's a solid stick with no frills.
It's lower at most places.

Old
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
AIREAYE

ye the only problem it has is the rather poor puck feel, the One55 is better in that regard

Old
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM
brown4king

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
ye the only problem it has is the rather poor puck feel, the One55 is better in that regard
huh
one would think that the more expensive stick would have better puck feel

Old
12-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown4king View Post
huh
one would think that the more expensive stick would have better puck feel
One guy's idea of puck feel may differ from yours. I haven't held one or even looked at one yet.

I usually just hold the shaft in one hand and then knock with a knuckle on the blade with the other one and see what it feels like in the hand on the shaft. It is usually a pretty true gauge to see what puck feel would be like for me.

Some sticks or replacement blades you do not feel the vibration carry through it so I do not buy those.

Well anyhoo for this price if it is light and has a good puck feel why not try it out.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:27 PM
slackerracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Once i get my X40 i'll be able to do this comparison as i've had 2 one55s for a couple months but they are both pretty beat up and one is actually cracked (this one just won't break idk how). Once i try out the X40 i should be able to see the difference.

Old
12-23-2009, 06:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerracker View Post
Once i get my X40 i'll be able to do this comparison as i've had 2 one55s for a couple months but they are both pretty beat up and one is actually cracked (this one just won't break idk how). Once i try out the X40 i should be able to see the difference.
definately, if you try stickhandling with a Smarthockey ball, the difference is immediate in my case

Old
12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
brown4king

how does the x40 compare to the x20?

Last edited by brown4king: 12-27-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old
12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
slackerracker

Just played with this stick for the first time. It felt amazing, i liked it a lot better than my One55. Slap shots flew off the stick and seemed much harder than with the One55. My Wrist shot i was struggling on a little as i haven't played in 3 weeks, but when i actually got the shot off clean it had good velocity and accuracy behind it. Overall i love this stick and thing it's much better than the One55's i've had as well as better than the One70's i owned. And is just a step down from the One90 that i had, that lasted all of 5 games.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:58 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
For being a price point stick its great. It really isnt that light though compared to quite a few other price points. Its not extremely heavy or anything, its just not that light.

But unless your super weak, weight shouldnt really matter that much for this level of stick.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Evil Ted

Can this stick accept a stick extension? I need about 2 or 3 inches which isnt much. Looking at the end of the stick its quite small compared to others.

I suppose I could make one for it just plane down a regular extension to the right size, and yes I know it will increase the flex of the stick aswell change the intended dynamics of what bauer was trying to accomplish.

Last edited by Evil Ted: 01-07-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Can this stick accept a stick extension? I need about 2 or 3 inches which isnt much. Looking at the end of the stick its quite small compared to others.
Standard length stick. No shorter than other Bauers. You can add an extension.

Old
01-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Standard length stick. No shorter than other Bauers. You can add an extension.
I know its a standard length stick, I was refering to the girth of extension. I attempted to put a wood plug in but decided durring the proccess it might dammage the stick because of how tight the fit was.

Anyway I machined a piece of ash to fit it, and it seems to work just dandy. I really like this stick.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
I know its a standard length stick, I was refering to the girth of extension. I attempted to put a wood plug in but decided durring the proccess it might dammage the stick because of how tight the fit was.

Anyway I machined a piece of ash to fit it, and it seems to work just dandy. I really like this stick.
Try sanding down the plug next time, save some work.

Last edited by NigelSPNKr: 01-10-2010 at 11:53 PM.
NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Anubis79

I picked up an X:40 Inter last week as my first OPS and finally got a chance to take it out. I immediately fell in love with it. First stick I had was a POS Easton Octane shaft and an Easton UltraLite blade. Moved up to an RBK 5k shaft and a One55 blade which has been serving me well. Not the greatest in puck feel or lightness but it gets the job done. I love the whip I get with the X:40 though and can get good velocity on quick snapshots. I'm just a pick-up/beer leaguer and have no idea what good puck feel is supposed to feel like and I for sure don't have the skills to get the most out of the stick but it's helped my shot out. I even stung my goalie buddy with a shot, and he knows my normal shot pretty well. I would definitely buy another one of these, and with my average skills it's the most I'd pay for a stick. Not bad for about $90.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Try sanding down the plug next time, save some work.
I don't know how much work that would have saved me, its just as quick to run wood through thickness planner,

Not to mention the planner is accurate sanding not so much.

Anyway its done works great.

Old
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

usually when a plug fits tightly into a shaft end it is because the corners are not rounded enough and the actual width and girth is fine.

I use a scraper in the work shop downstairs and just scrape the corners down a milimeter or so and then it fits fine.

Your way works so whatever lol. Whatever gets the thing in there is what is important.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Barnaby Jones

Has anyone used both this stick and the XXV? Are they similar? I love my XXV, but I think her time might be coming to an end and I can't find my curve and flex anymore.

Barnaby Jones is offline   Reply With Quote