HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders Making Push For Kovalchuck

Old
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzle View Post
This is not the same Islanders my friend, you might need to fire up the old satellite dish & start watching some games...

Okposo / Bailey / Tavares / Streit --- 3 Top defense man in the system ready to make a impact ---Oh & yeah , MONEY TALKS!

Wang is the only owner with the cap space & motive (New Arena) crazy enough to pull the trigger on this move & then give Kovy a 10 year 100 million + contract ....

So YES , Kovy would come to NY in a NY MINUTE
Not that part of new york. And why the hell would Atlanta want D-men, they have plenty good ones.
This would be a bad idea for the Islanders. Stick with the rebuild through picks.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Somewhere right now, the posters Darth Milbury and Crew are experiencing chest pains.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:49 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Somewhere right now, the posters Darth Milbury and Crew are experiencing chest pains.

I miss Darth, where the hell has he been?

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Scottkmlps

"The Post has learned from a well-placed source."

Yeah, okay Brooks.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:23 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Ryan Smyth saga part 2?

I dont know, maybe the Isles have the pieces for it (a lot of youth), but I don't see it...and I definitely don't see him resigning, but who knows.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
I miss Darth, where the hell has he been?
Been wondering the same thing. I need to look him up. This board misses his insight.

Old
01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Tavares isn't putting butts in the seats...now, granted Kovalchuk has been in Atlanta all this time and he's not drawing fans. However, I think Kovalchuk can be marketed into the statosphere for The Isles and really get that franchise going in terms of excitement.

There are exciting young Islanders, but Kovalchuk is electrifying. Atlanta hasn't been able or willing to market him fully largely due to the court battles - also, he speaks English well, but he's very soft spoken and too classy - just not outgoing enough. Also, they didn't even market Hossa.

What Atlanta will be marketing, and have already started marketing is Kane and Bogosian.

The Isles with Kovalchuk get their next Mike Bossy, not their next Yashin. I've thought they should go for it.

Buuuuuut...Atlanta should not trade with any Eastern teams like the Isles who could become playoff teams with Kovalchuk or Eastern teams like Ottawa or Boston that are on shakier ground. Kovy has got to go West or to a team that is already probably going to be in the playoffs this year 100%.
Winning brings fan to the arena. The Isles have not done that in a while. They have been mediocre at best. More fans have been coming the weekday games i.e. winning and staying relevant in the playoff race.

You can bring whoever you want to play, if you don't win after awhile it wears off. i.e. see Atlanta

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Been wondering the same thing. I need to look him up. This board misses his insight.
Real good poster.

I'm torn as to whether this could work or not for the Islanders. The gut reaction is obviously to say, more of the same from Wang and Co., but this is potentially a cornerstone guy, with at least two/three other real strong players to build around him. The key is making sure that if you are going to commit serious dollars and term in one player, to make sure you know your player intimately. Is he going to flourish? Flounder? Will the complete career security sap him of all incentives? Is he going to be a player hungry for a Cup? Hard to say. It's an intriguing possible destination for him, though. Long Island and Los Angeles seem like possible fits.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:51 PM
majormet

I have to believe that Okposo or Bailey would be in this type of trade, so I am skeptical of the realness of this type of trade.

I think the Isles would have a great chance of signing him on 7/1, the Isles could make it cozy for him by resigning two of his Thrasher friends in Andy Sutton and Jon Sim. On the Islanders, he would be the captain and would accelerate the rebuild quite rapidly. He is almost like a jigsaw puzzle fit for this squad, with his explosiveness into the offensive zone, his physical play and overall heart.

I hope Washington rents him and we show up as the #7 seed and stun the Caps like it was 1993 again LOL, wishful thinking.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'm torn as to whether this could work or not for the Islanders.
As I wrote on the NYI board, its a creative pipedream that any team is going to get Kovalchuk to sign on the dotted line before a trade is made, "in season". I mean, when was the last time that happened? (Rhetorical question. )

The fictitious deal, as presented is a no-brainer, were Kovalchuk under contract for the foreseeable future. Only "pain" of note that NYI experiences in that exchange is DeHaan, and that's minimal for a world-class sniper.

But he's not under contract beyond this year, obviously, and NYI is not a playoff team, IMO, this year, let alone a contender, with or without him.

He makes sense as a differencemaker among the Chicagos, NJDs, Caps, Pens, and a precious few others (contenders). That's it.

Old
01-15-2010, 01:48 AM
scdn

Tavares would need to improve his skating if he and Kovalchuk would play well on a line together.

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:06 AM
begbeee

Quote:
He makes sense as a differencemaker among the Chicagos, NJDs, Caps, Pens, and a precious few others (contenders). That's it.
Lou Lamoriello never give so much dollars to any player. If you realize, that Brodeur is playing for 5,2 and Parise for cap hit 3,2, he never give to Kovy such money as Kovy wants. And Parise IS an elite sniper, too.
Chicago? Why? They have no cap space, especially next season. They signed Hossa, who is comparable sniper as Kovy.. No point why they need to do it.
Caps. I can imagine PP line Ovie - Backstrom - Semin, but where is the point to do it? Ovie and Semin with premier center is enough firepower to any team.

Pens. IMO Pens NEED an elite goal scorer, linemate to Crosby... What could they offer? Going to risky blockbuster trade Malkin <-> Kovy (contracts are another points) or going to decent trade with J.Staal? Pens have 3 center and no 1st line wing...

So that´s my consideration

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Lou Lamoriello never give so much dollars to any player. If you realize, that Brodeur is playing for 5,2 and Parise for cap hit 3,2, he never give to Kovy such money as Kovy wants. And Parise IS an elite sniper, too.
Lou would only have to pay for the remainder of Kovalchuk's contract this year. He could afford it. Cup contenders acquire players for Cup runs, first and foremost. You worry about next year starting in mid-June.

Regarding Parise: two snipers are better than one.

Quote:
Chicago? Why? They have no cap space, especially next season.
See above. The idea is to add Kovlachuk now through June.

Quote:
They signed Hossa, who is comparable sniper as Kovy.. No point why they need to do it.
Hossa is a much more complete player than Kovalchuk. That said, your point is understood. But again, 30 teams could use Kovalchuk, including Chicago. When it gets down to the last few teams, the true contenders, you want an overt advantage. Between the teams I named (as examples), adding Kovalchuk - for the right price - is a potentially a huge advantage.

Quote:
Caps. I can imagine PP line Ovie - Backstrom - Semin, but where is the point to do it? Ovie and Semin with premier center is enough firepower to any team.
See above.

Quote:
Pens. IMO Pens NEED an elite goal scorer, linemate to Crosby... What could they offer? Going to risky blockbuster trade Malkin <-> Kovy (contracts are another points) or going to decent trade with J.Staal? Pens have 3 center and no 1st line wing...
Actually, Pens likely need him least of all of the teams mentioned, IMO. They've proven they can win it all with what they possess. That said, I agree, they do not have the trade chips. No way they are moving Staal, unless they are nuts.

Quote:
So that´s my consideration
Much respected!

Old
01-15-2010, 03:06 AM
1st

The Pens proved they could beat teams from 2008-2009 with their roster, but i can't see them beating Chicago in 7 games and NJ has had their number all year long.

1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
I'd be very surprised if Kovalchuk gave up his UFA status for a team like the Isles. He has a cup winning age, Isles doesn't.

Perhaps Chicago will move him for some of the pieces they can't keep because of cap considerations, make a big push for the cup and then let him go this summer.

It is hard to know what will happen, but Kovalchuk is holding all the cards. He isn't going to give that away no matter what anyone says.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:19 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Lou would only have to pay for the remainder of Kovalchuk's contract this year. He could afford it. Cup contenders acquire players for Cup runs, first and foremost. You worry about next year starting in mid-June.

Regarding Parise: two snipers are better than one.

See above. The idea is to add Kovlachuk now through June.

Hossa is a much more complete player than Kovalchuk. That said, your point is understood. But again, 30 teams could use Kovalchuk, including Chicago. When it gets down to the last few teams, the true contenders, you want an overt advantage. Between the teams I named (as examples), adding Kovalchuk - for the right price - is a potentially a huge advantage.

See above.

Actually, Pens likely need him least of all of the teams mentioned, IMO. They've proven they can win it all with what they possess. That said, I agree, they do not have the trade chips. No way they are moving Staal, unless they are nuts.

Much respected!
Cap Hit Kovalchuk: 6,4 Cap Space NJD: 2,7 CHI: 1,1 CAPS: 4,4 PENS: 0,3

Regarding Parise and Pens - Devils proven they dont need him now. Pens need him more than Devils. Just look at their cold and hot streaks and Devils consistency. It´s not a season ago. Things could turn around. Pens need to add some firepower. Malkin is cold and their wings are second liners at the best.

I understand your point, contracts and a rent-a-vet system and everything.. For all teams you had mentioned would be Kovy HUGE advantage, but they are all able to win cup as they are and if you look at their roster I have no problem e.g. Devils in playoff win over Caps with Kovy.. All that teams are strong as they are.

Old
01-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins328 View Post
The Pens proved they could beat teams from 2008-2009 with their roster, but i can't see them beating Chicago in 7 games and NJ has had their number all year long.
I couldn't see them beating Philly, Washington & Detroit at this time last season and they did in the playoffs. It's still early. Pens are built for playoff hockey.

For the record, I don't see the Pens even bothering themselves with the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. The Pens have proved they can win with lesser wingers because they have 2 of the best centers/players in the world (Crosby/Malkin) and a 3rd center in Staal that puts up top 6 forward stats himself. Pens can find a cheap winger at the deadline. My bigger concern for that team is their D.

As far as the Isles & Kovy? Kovy will obviously cost a lot and his future is very unclear, so it's a very risky move.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:28 AM
1st

I agree the Pens aren't even looking Kovy, what would be nice is Afinoganov to play with Geno. Kovalchuk to the Caps would be interesting. What would they have to give up though?

1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:38 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins328 View Post
I agree the Pens aren't even looking Kovy, what would be nice is Afinoganov to play with Geno. Kovalchuk to the Caps would be interesting. What would they have to give up though?
I'm not sure what the Caps would have to give up to get Kovalchuk. I hope a lot since I'm a Pens fan.

Caps adding Kovy would certainly throw more fuel onto the fire in the Caps/Pens rivalry, especially given Crosby's past with Kovalchuk.

Afinogenov would be a nice addition for the Pens at the deadline. He's the type of cheap winger that would fit in well with the cap etc. I'm not sure the Thrashers are looking to deal him, though.

Old
01-15-2010, 03:38 AM
begbeee

We will see.
IMO Pens will not win their back to back Cup with their current roster for sure.
Devils beat Pens with no problem whole season... I dont know. Something is wrong there.

And Isles & Kovy? No way. If Isles, than is better to stay in Atlanta.

Old
01-15-2010, 03:41 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Afinogenov would be a nice addition for the Pens at the deadline. He's the type of cheap winger that would fit in well with the cap etc. I'm not sure the Thrashers are looking to deal him, though.
Afinogenov will be treasure before deadline. 0,8 cap hit, point per game and very skilled hands. Maybe Atlanta will trade him - he is UFA next season and nobody sign him with 0,8 after this season.

Old
01-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
We will see.
IMO Pens will not win their back to back Cup with their current roster for sure.
Devils beat Pens with no problem whole season... I dont know. Something is wrong there.

And Isles & Kovy? No way. If Isles, than is better to stay in Atlanta.
I wouldn't make too much of the regular season. I think the Pens lost the season series to both Washington & Carolina last season and then beat both of them in the playoffs. Happens all the time. Playoffs are different.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Kostas X

As an Islanders fan I would be opposed to this. The guy is so close to FA it makes sense for both player (Kovy) and team (Isles) to just wait until free agency.

Why trade away a first rounder that could be anywhere between 1-15, and an 18 year old defenseman who cost you a top 15 pick + other picks to move and get, for a guy who in all likelyhood doesn't have what it takes to push this team over the top. This team has gotten unreal goaltending from a 40 year old goaltender, and they're STILL on the outside looking in. How long do you expect Rolloson to play as well as he has? I fully expect him to finish strong, but HOW strong could be the difference in 4-10 points and the difference between 10-14th place or even 7-8th place.

So to go ahead and trade away what you need (Which isn't a great deal for the Thrashers anyway but what can they expect for a guy who remains unsigned) to trade for a player who can only help your team so much would be unwise.

Now to sign him as a free agent makes all the sense in the world. You go ahead and sign him to the enormous deal, he automatically brings legitamacy to franchise. A team who had a big rebound from a dead last finish, has a solid core of young players, a team who just added a top 10 player in the game (Kovy) all of a sudden being able to sign that top 4 dman just became easier. I mean that is where the true problem is for the Islanders, on the blue line.

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:19 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzle View Post
Larry Brooks , reporting that Snow is stepping up efforts to get Kovalchuck...

Reported by Larry Brooks, in the NY Post

Snow will get this done!!! De Haan / Joensuu / Bergenheim / 1st Rounder -- will be enough

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...Dd5XbCaZvfozAJ
Worse for team acquiring Kovy is the price is sky high plus after mortgaging your future good chance he will walk away for nil at season's end. Not really worth it in my book.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Moskau

No fringe playoff team should have any serious interest in adding Kovalchuk. Teams like Washington, Chicago, and New Jersey should be the ones inquiring about his services.

Kovalchuk does absolutely no good to a team like the Islanders for this year. If you are not a playoff team at the deadline, chances are Kovalchuk is not going to get you into the playoffs. I'm sure Ilya apologists will say differently but that's the way I see it. This is not a Ryan Smyth 2.0 by any means. Smyth can lead a team down the stretch and into the playoffs, people seem to forget he did it for that very Islanders franchise.

Every year we hear how this or that player is going to agree to a contract after being traded and nothing happens because those situations don't play out.

Snow should be looking to make deals similar to the Latendresse-Pouliot deal at the deadline. Ones that make his club better for the remainder of the year and into the future. He could hit a home run and trade another Gratton for a Briere and have that player help his team for years to come and become an integral part of their foundation. Teams don't have to be sellers or buyers at a deadline they can look to just improve themselves for the future. Kovalchuk isn't that type of deal.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote