HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders Making Push For Kovalchuck

Old
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
Mos, what if the end game is to show him what LI could be like. Who cares about the playoffs this year if they can convince him to stay.

Plus, that would guarantee he would not play for LA. I say LI all the way.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Mos, what if the end game is to show him what LI could be like. Who cares about the playoffs this year if they can convince him to stay.

Plus, that would guarantee he would not play for LA. I say LI all the way.
They can just get their old buddy Alexei to recruit him. Who wouldn't want to get paid tons of money for only 5 or 10 games worth of work a year? He could tell him all about that.

Or they could just promise him he will never get lonely lurking around at the blue line with his new best friend Rob Schremp!

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Gulvorn

I dont know why a team would want Kovalchuk so bad that they'd give up prospects/good players just to have him for a couple months, unless they are going all our for the cup. But most of the teams that have a legit cup chance are already almost all capped out. So what I think is far more likely is that if he doesn't resign with ATL, then he's gonna make it to free agency. Because ATL isn't going to want to trade him for nothing, and not many teams are going to want to sign the guy for just a couple months and give stuff up for him. Especially since if ATL is offering him a lot of money, and he isn't taking it, then why would anyone take that risk that he's not even going to resign with you? Buy him on UFA on a 5-7 year contract, if he accepts great, if he doesn't, you don't lose anything.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I lol'd hard.

Don't think he wants to go there.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
robbyrock*

This is one of the few teams he could go to and the isles still wouldnt be considered a contender. Id rather see them aquire some sort of playmaking center to play with tavares and not screw up what looks like a promising rebulid.

Does Wang remind anyone else of the asian guy from the hangover?

robbyrock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
They can just get their old buddy Alexei to recruit him. Who wouldn't want to get paid tons of money for only 5 or 10 games worth of work a year? He could tell him all about that.

Or they could just promise him he will never get lonely lurking around at the blue line with his new best friend Rob Schremp!
I think they'll have to show Kovy that Schremp is no real threat to him. Right?

Old
01-15-2010, 12:05 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
No fringe playoff team should have any serious interest in adding Kovalchuk. Teams like Washington, Chicago, and New Jersey should be the ones inquiring about his services.

Kovalchuk does absolutely no good to a team like the Islanders for this year. If you are not a playoff team at the deadline, chances are Kovalchuk is not going to get you into the playoffs. I'm sure Ilya apologists will say differently but that's the way I see it. This is not a Ryan Smyth 2.0 by any means. Smyth can lead a team down the stretch and into the playoffs, people seem to forget he did it for that very Islanders franchise.

Every year we hear how this or that player is going to agree to a contract after being traded and nothing happens because those situations don't play out.

Snow should be looking to make deals similar to the Latendresse-Pouliot deal at the deadline. Ones that make his club better for the remainder of the year and into the future. He could hit a home run and trade another Gratton for a Briere and have that player help his team for years to come and become an integral part of their foundation. Teams don't have to be sellers or buyers at a deadline they can look to just improve themselves for the future. Kovalchuk isn't that type of deal.
Snow has been hitting homeruns the very first minute he has stepped onto the GM podium. The latest steal is Schremp, who is breaking out as an Islander. That's on top of Moulson and Streit.. so Garth Snow has had a sensational past year as the GM. His choice to draft Bailey over Filatov is also a homerun move.

With that said, the Islanders are going to NEED to sign someone out of UFA that brings a high level of talent to this team before they can take the next step. Kovy can be had on July 1st for nothing but money, if the Isles are that interested, they will talk to him than.

That's really the end of it. No chance in hell any team in this league is taking Okposo from us, so I really wish Larry ****ing Brooks would knock it off with his Kovy-NYI dream. He posted ANOTHER article today on this crap. And believe me, it's CRAP.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeWitt View Post
Snow has been hitting homeruns the very first minute he has stepped onto the GM podium. The latest steal is Schremp, who is breaking out as an Islander. That's on top of Moulson and Streit.. so Garth Snow has had a sensational past year as the GM. His choice to draft Bailey over Filatov is also a homerun move.

With that said, the Islanders are going to NEED to sign someone out of UFA that brings a high level of talent to this team before they can take the next step. Kovy can be had on July 1st for nothing but money, if the Isles are that interested, they will talk to him than.

That's really the end of it. No chance in hell any team in this league is taking Okposo from us, so I really wish Larry ****ing Brooks would knock it off with his Kovy-NYI dream. He posted ANOTHER article today on this crap. And believe me, it's CRAP.
I'm always blown away whenever I look at the Isles salary. Dipietro is the highest salary on there.

Considering we are going into an off-season with a majority of the teams up against the cap, the Isles are in a good position to have a very competitive team in the near future.

I have to agree, Garth Snow deserves some serious props.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
madmike77

I just can't see it happening. The Isles wouldn't give up much unless they could sign him long term. And I don't see why Kovalchuk would want to be there long-term. yes the team is on the right track, but after all his years in Atlanta I'd think Kovalchuk would be more interested in contending in the short term. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Yitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
I just can't see it happening. The Isles wouldn't give up much unless they could sign him long term. And I don't see why Kovalchuk would want to be there long-term. yes the team is on the right track, but after all his years in Atlanta I'd think Kovalchuk would be more interested in contending in the short term. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.
I'll just play devil's advocate here: Kovy's, what, 26 years old? I'm sure he would prefer to go to a serious contender (who wouldn't?) but he's young enough that he might feel it's worth the wait to be a part of what's happening on LI.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:51 PM
boredmale

If the Islanders can get Kovy at a deadline price(see Hossa a couple years ago) and signed to a deal I would do it, that being said I am guessing Kovalchuck won't sign with us before it's UFA time.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...lans-1.1702568

It's not happening. Why would any GM with a clue trade any of their assets when they can openly negotiate with said player if they wait a few months?

The Islanders have a really good thing going right now. To break that up to add Kovy is just stupid. Ride it out, than start to add a little on July 1st.

I really don't get what Larry's motive is to put out these articles. Ryan Smyth =/ Ilya Kovalchuk. Also, when the Isles made that trade, they were sitting in 6th. I doubt very highly they can comfortably get to 6th before the deadline, making an Ilya addition seem reasonable.

Larry Brooks is an asshat. I am not partaking in this thread anymore.

Old
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'm always blown away whenever I look at the Isles salary. Dipietro is the highest salary on there.
Because they have so many great veterans getting paid so little? Their best players are younger then 20 years old. I just don't understand why you're blown away by that. They only have one player that has ever scored 20 goals and that was Weight 10 years ago.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeWitt View Post

Hey Stone, when I first read that article it looked like a subliminal call to arms for his beloved Rags to make a move. Brooks was clearly trying to say "the lowly Isles are talking big moves, wake up Sather"

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Because they have so many great veterans getting paid so little? Their best players are younger then 20 years old. I just don't understand why you're blown away by that. They only have one player that has ever scored 20 goals and that was Weight 10 years ago.
Trent Hunter had at least one 20 goal season.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
thedjpd

I just find it funny how fans here keep insisting on holding on to your assets and promptly signing him on July 1st, as if there is any indication whatsoever that he would choose to sign with your team.

You're not giving up assets for a rent-a-player, in most cases (contenders excluded). You're giving up assets hoping to convince him to stay with your team.

Fans here like to hold on to all their shiny prospects because they're cheap, and it sounds nice to have - when they don't help the ultimate goal, which is winning the cup.

Ultimately, you have to decide - are any of your picks going to be as all-world as Kovalchuk? Likely not.

If you have the chance to sell him on your organization, it's worth it. No questions asked.

Funny thing is, even if some of these prospects do pan out, you'll be faced with the exact same scenario Chicago is in at the moment - now who do I get rid of - the reality of the salary cap world.

Is it better to already have a guaranteed franchise player to build around, or hope one of these 'prospects' becomes that and cost the same, monetarily, anyway, meaning you have to get rid of other assets for nothing regardless?

Tough call. But I know which one a GM would pick.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
thedjpd

I just find it amusing how fans here keep insisting on holding on to your assets and promptly signing him on July 1st, as if there is any indication whatsoever that he would choose to sign with your team.

You're not giving up assets for a rent-a-player, in most cases (contenders excluded). You're giving up assets hoping to convince him to stay with your team.

Fans here like to hold on to all their shiny prospects because they're cheap, and it sounds nice to have - when they don't help the ultimate goal, which is winning the cup.

Ultimately, you have to decide - are any of your picks going to be as all-world as Kovalchuk? Likely not.

If you have the chance to sell him on your organization, it's worth it. No questions asked.

Funny thing is, even if some of these prospects do pan out, you'll be faced with the exact same scenario Chicago is in at the moment - now who do I get rid of - the reality of the salary cap world.

Is it better to already have a guaranteed franchise player to build around, or hope one of these 'prospects' becomes that and cost the same, monetarily, anyway, meaning you have to get rid of other assets for nothing regardless?

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Waddell loves Angelo Esposito, so when Shero accepted to include him the Hossa deal happened.

If he (or his scouts) loves Calvin De Haan, then this Isles proposal could also happen. Maybe some tweaking is needed.
repeat after me

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

I could care less about how much he may like a prospect, the Hossa deal screwed him, you think he's going to make that mistake again?

Not some tweaking needed, LOTS of tweaking needed.

De Hann and the 2010 1st is a nice start.

The Thrashers are going to want more than just 2 3rd liners in addition to the above.

It then starts getting into the "does it make sense to make the move" area and I would have to agree that depending on who it is they would want, you stay away.

I'll say it again, if all it is going to take is Bergs and Joensuu there's no way you can say no to the deal, if they start throwing around Josh Bailey's name then I would think you'd want to be a bit more hesitant to pull the trigger.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
repeat after me

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

I could care less about how much he may like a prospect, the Hossa deal screwed him, you think he's going to make that mistake again?

Not some tweaking needed, LOTS of tweaking needed.

De Hann and the 2010 1st is a nice start.

The Thrashers are going to want more than just 2 3rd liners in addition to the above.

It then starts getting into the "does it make sense to make the move" area and I would have to agree that depending on who it is they would want, you stay away.

I'll say it again, if all it is going to take is Bergs and Joensuu there's no way you can say no to the deal, if they start throwing around Josh Bailey's name then I would think you'd want to be a bit more hesitant to pull the trigger.

What scared that the Islanders will beat your rangers 3 times a year agian already happened this season

JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
ellusive

yashin and a 4th round pick

ellusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
I just find it amusing how fans here keep insisting on holding on to your assets and promptly signing him on July 1st, as if there is any indication whatsoever that he would choose to sign with your team.

I agree with most of what you wrote here except two items:
1- With the unstable Lighthouse/Coliseum/move situation on LI, what are we really going to be able to sell him. It has been hard to attract top name FA because of the dump of a arena.
2- Chicago caused some of their own cap hell by giving Campbell a hugh contract. Now if we give Kovy a hugh contract (which he will get because he is well worth it) we will have the same problem in a few years when all the youngsters contracts come due.
I say stay the course Garth, we believe in you.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post

Don't try to sit on your high horse and tell Isles fans what we already know. Kovalchuk is not going to sign with the Islanders, not now, not ever. Secondly, Garth Snow, the same GM that preached patience and continues to do a wonderful job as GM building from the floor up, is NOT going to trade any promising young player from this roster for 3 months of Kovalchuk and the chance he might bolt(which he would).

This entire thing is moot anyways, considering he would never okay a trade to come here. This is all sorts of FAIL by Larry Brooks.

Old
01-15-2010, 02:02 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT91 View Post
What scared that the Islanders will beat your rangers 3 times a year agian already happened this season
Here's what really funny....

I'm IN FAVOR OF THE ISLANDERS GETTING KOVY

Not against it.

You really think I give a rats ass about how many times you beat the Rangers?

The Rangers have a huge chest problem in that they have no heart, no leadership, no defence, no scoring (other than Gaborik) and when you add that all up, you have a pretty bad team.

So, the Islanders beating the Rangers three times this year means jacksh!t to me.

Now, without hijacking this thread any further. Getting a guy like Kovalchuk adds fanny's to the seats. A mature JT will continue to add fanny's to the seats thus increasing the likelyhood that you guys do not leave the area.

I want you guys to stay here. I want to give a rats ass about losing to you one time, let alone 3 times in a single season. This has nothing to do with worrying about three games this season. This has EVERYTHING to do with making this rivalry more meaningful outside the confines of the borders of both Suffolk and Nassau Counties cause as it is right now, most Rangers fans are more focused about our games against the Devils and Flyers and Penguins than they are against the Islanders and in my opinion, it needs to change. Having a Tavares and getting a Kovy is a Huge step in that direction.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Kovalchuk isn't a franchise player. Are you kidding me? If he is, he sucks at it.

That franchise is like Joe's Donut Holes and ****.

Just ridiculous.

Old
01-15-2010, 02:32 PM
JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Here's what really funny....

I'm IN FAVOR OF THE ISLANDERS GETTING KOVY

Not against it.

You really think I give a rats ass about how many times you beat the Rangers?

The Rangers have a huge chest problem in that they have no heart, no leadership, no defence, no scoring (other than Gaborik) and when you add that all up, you have a pretty bad team.

So, the Islanders beating the Rangers three times this year means jacksh!t to me.

Now, without hijacking this thread any further. Getting a guy like Kovalchuk adds fanny's to the seats. A mature JT will continue to add fanny's to the seats thus increasing the likelyhood that you guys do not leave the area.

I want you guys to stay here. I want to give a rats ass about losing to you one time, let alone 3 times in a single season. This has nothing to do with worrying about three games this season. This has EVERYTHING to do with making this rivalry more meaningful outside the confines of the borders of both Suffolk and Nassau Counties cause as it is right now, most Rangers fans are more focused about our games against the Devils and Flyers and Penguins than they are against the Islanders and in my opinion, it needs to change. Having a Tavares and getting a Kovy is a Huge step in that direction.

LMFAOOO Islanders need D too need a big physical guy who can score and hit like a shea weber type

JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote