HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
  #101
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What I don't get it Torts has come back in the league with a pretty sizable chip on his shoulder. Not sure why this is.
He probably feels he was unfairly treated by the Lightning organization (surprise surprise!) and he's from NY on an original 6 team. He also seems like hes got an ego problem to begin with so I'm sure coming to NY didn't help.

This is all speculation of course.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
  #102
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
He probably feels he was unfairly treated by the Lightning organization (surprise surprise!) and he's from NY on an original 6 team. He also seems like hes got an ego problem to begin with so I'm sure coming to NY didn't help.

This is all speculation of course.
He's from Boston.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
  #103
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
He probably feels he was unfairly treated by the Lightning organization (surprise surprise!) and he's from NY on an original 6 team. He also seems like hes got an ego problem to begin with so I'm sure coming to NY didn't help.

This is all speculation of course.
Something to prove and edge is one thing. He's got a simmering anger and nastiness to him that was not seen his first go around here or in Tampa.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
  #104
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Something to prove and edge is one thing. He's got a simmering anger and nastiness to him that was not seen his first go around here or in Tampa.
"OH YEAH BROOKSIE?!?!?" I think he was also fined a few times when with the Lightning.

And my bad, I forgot he's from Boston.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
  #105
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Something to prove and edge is one thing. He's got a simmering anger and nastiness to him that was not seen his first go around here or in Tampa.
On Youtube there's an interview of him when he was an assistant in Buffalo from 91-92 season.
He seemed a lot more friendlier and calm back then too. He also looks like Borat.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
  #106
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
On Youtube there's an interview of him when he was an assistant in Buffalo from 91-92 season.
He seemed a lot more friendlier and calm back then too. He also looks like Borat.
1980's and early 90's alot of guys around hockey looked like Borat

Torturella's not gonna stand for the millionaire Rangers country club !


Last edited by Bluenote13: 01-15-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
  #107
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,733
vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
19080's and early 90's alot of guys around hockey looked like Borat

Torturella's not gonna stand for the millionaire Rangers country club !
ACCOUNTABILITY IS BACK.

I just don't like Tortorella. That's to say nothing of his coaching ability...I just don't like him.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:38 PM
  #108
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
I dunno. I like Torts. He hasn't done a great job here thus far, but I attribute that more to the players he was dealt than his work as a coach.

I disagree with the notion that somehow he isn't a good coach in the post-lockout NHL. He took Tampa teams with poor goaltending and a fairly unremarkable defense corps. (albeit far more offensive talent) to the playoffs twice, and he only missed the playoffs in a season where the team imploded underneath him, and one of his core players was traded away.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:43 PM
  #109
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I dunno. I like Torts. He hasn't done a great job here thus far, but I attribute that more to the players he was dealt than his work as a coach.

I disagree with the notion that somehow he isn't a good coach in the post-lockout NHL. He took Tampa teams with poor goaltending and a fairly unremarkable defense corps. (albeit far more offensive talent) to the playoffs twice, and he only missed the playoffs in a season where the team imploded underneath him, and one of his core players was traded away.
The roster saw so much turnover this past summer I don't think it's the team he was dealt. He had say in it. On some level, these are his cards.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:44 PM
  #110
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What I don't get it Torts has come back in the league with a pretty sizable chip on his shoulder. Not sure why this is.
Because he was born with that chip on his shoulder. My buddy plays for his brother and he's the same way.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
  #111
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The roster saw so much turnover this past summer I don't think it's the team he was dealt. He had say in it. On some level, these are his cards.
While that's true, the biggest problems on the team (Drury, Redden, and Rozy) were here before he arrived, and until they are gone, it will be tough to remake the team in truly new image.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
  #112
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
While that's true, the biggest problems on the team (Drury, Redden, and Rozy) were here before he arrived, and until they are gone, it will be tough to remake the team in truly new image.
They're not the biggest problems. THey're making the most money.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:02 AM
  #113
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
ACCOUNTABILITY IS BACK.

I just don't like Tortorella. That's to say nothing of his coaching ability...I just don't like him.
Not a fan of Torts. Never was. I get the idea of hiring him after the going with the "players type" coach and the perceived "tuning out" of coach Renney. But....

Boy do I look forward to Torts press conferences after a loss. Its like watching that movie Scanners and waiting for the heads to explode.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
  #114
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're not the biggest problems. THey're making the most money.
I don't know...I'd say that's a pretty big problem right there. Allocating 25% of your cap to two players (Drury & Redden) that bring little talent, and share nothing resembling the coaches temperament is a major contributer to the headaches of the coach. As little as they may contribute on the score sheet, you have to remember that by virtue of this teams youth, those two are leaders.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:01 PM
  #115
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Not a fan of Torts. Never was. I get the idea of hiring him after the going with the "players type" coach and the perceived "tuning out" of coach Renney. But....

Boy do I look forward to Torts press conferences after a loss. Its like watching that movie Scanners and waiting for the heads to explode.
My favorite Torts quote:

Media: So what happened on the power play?
Torts: I'm not going to sit here and dissect the game...
Media: Ok.....What about the breakdown in the third?
Torts: Look, I'm not going to dissect the game. I'm just not going to do it.

Media:......Ok....Have you seen Avatar yet?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
  #116
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I don't know...I'd say that's a pretty big problem right there. Allocating 25% of your cap to two players (Drury & Redden) that bring little talent, and share nothing resembling the coaches temperament is a major contributer to the headaches of the coach. As little as they may contribute on the score sheet, you have to remember that by virtue of this teams youth, those two are leaders.
Drury and Rozsival are at least being productive in some manner.

I fail to see what capspace does with this GM. He's the same one who gave these deals in the first place.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
  #117
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're not the biggest problems. THey're making the most money.
Wade Redden has cracked 18 minutes of ice time three times in the last 17 games. In that time, he has ONE, count 'em, ONE point (a secondary assist against Dallas), an even rating, and 12 shots on goal. Awful. For a guy you're counting on to at least provide minimal offensive help and the ability to play good minutes, it is just darn impressive that a veteran like Wade has managed to be as bad as he has been. Big problem when you're trying to play the style that Torts wants to play.

Rozsival has been slightly better, with points in 2 of our last 10 games. To be fair to him, he's been much more solid defensively of late. He's still guilty of a lot of bad turnovers, though, and with a shot like he has, 1 goal in 47 games is kind of ridiculous. I'll give you that he isn't one of "the biggest problems." He sure isn't helping the team play in a Torts style offense, though.

Chris Drury is on pace for 12 goals and 32 points. The team was counting on Drury to be one of the solid support players on the team this year. We were counting on his usual 20-25 goals, and he's produced roughly half of that. For a team that was banking on a few players for solid secondary scoring, when one of those players produces half of what was expected, that is a BIG problem.

So I ask, what players are the "biggest problems" on this team?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:46 PM
  #118
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Drury and Rozsival are at least being productive in some manner.

I fail to see what capspace does with this GM. He's the same one who gave these deals in the first place.
Drury is productive...but probably not as a leader and certainly not in the context of his contract. The bottom line is that there's a lot of wasted money with Drury & Redden.

And you're right, it really doesn't matter what mistakes Sather has made or will make. The question is why is Tortorella so surly at times? The answer is because this team lacks talent and balance, and it seems that sometimes, they forget that, and don't think they need to play hard.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
  #119
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Wade Redden has cracked 18 minutes of ice time three times in the last 17 games. In that time, he has ONE, count 'em, ONE point (a secondary assist against Dallas), an even rating, and 12 shots on goal. Awful. For a guy you're counting on to at least provide minimal offensive help and the ability to play good minutes, it is just darn impressive that a veteran like Wade has managed to be as bad as he has been. Big problem when you're trying to play the style that Torts wants to play.

Rozsival has been slightly better, with points in 2 of our last 10 games. To be fair to him, he's been much more solid defensively of late. He's still guilty of a lot of bad turnovers, though, and with a shot like he has, 1 goal in 47 games is kind of ridiculous. I'll give you that he isn't one of "the biggest problems." He sure isn't helping the team play in a Torts style offense, though.

Chris Drury is on pace for 12 goals and 32 points. The team was counting on Drury to be one of the solid support players on the team this year. We were counting on his usual 20-25 goals, and he's produced roughly half of that. For a team that was banking on a few players for solid secondary scoring, when one of those players produces half of what was expected, that is a BIG problem.

So I ask, what players are the "biggest problems" on this team?
I'm not including Redden.

To me, the biggest problem is guys like Dubinsky have not taken the next step. Higgins has not been the player they hoped he would be. Lisin has given them no offense. Kotalik isn't scoring. There's a waiver wire pickup serving as this team's #1 center.

It's easy to pick on the big ticket items (and I really am not trying to exuse them from blame). Just lets look at the whole team put their contracts aside from a second.

Again, we can all call for capspace, but who really trusts this GM with it?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:56 PM
  #120
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Drury is productive...but probably not as a leader and certainly not in the context of his contract. The bottom line is that there's a lot of wasted money with Drury & Redden.

And you're right, it really doesn't matter what mistakes Sather has made or will make. The question is why is Tortorella so surly at times? The answer is because this team lacks talent and balance, and it seems that sometimes, they forget that, and don't think they need to play hard.
And he takes that out on the media? Or by refusing to give real answers?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:19 PM
  #121
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not including Redden.

To me, the biggest problem is guys like Dubinsky have not taken the next step. Higgins has not been the player they hoped he would be. Lisin has given them no offense. Kotalik isn't scoring. There's a waiver wire pickup serving as this team's #1 center.

It's easy to pick on the big ticket items (and I really am not trying to exuse them from blame). Just lets look at the whole team put their contracts aside from a second.

Again, we can all call for capspace, but who really trusts this GM with it?
Dubinsky has been scoring a little under a PPG since he came back from injury. He is far from our biggest concerns.

And you can't put contracts aside because we're in a league with a salary cap. When you're at the cap, you need to have guys earn their pay, that's how you win. Higgins and Kotalik aren't producing at their salaries so, yes, they're accountable. Lisin is getting paid like a fourth liner and is producing like one. If Drury was producing like his salary, if Redden was, if Rozy was, etc. we'd be a solid cup contender. Only a limited number of guys on our team are earning their pay, that's our problem. If you cut out the wasted money and spent it on guys who could produce at a cost-acceptable level, we'd be way better off.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
  #122
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not including Redden.

To me, the biggest problem is guys like Dubinsky have not taken the next step. Higgins has not been the player they hoped he would be. Lisin has given them no offense. Kotalik isn't scoring. There's a waiver wire pickup serving as this team's #1 center.

It's easy to pick on the big ticket items (and I really am not trying to exuse them from blame). Just lets look at the whole team put their contracts aside from a second.

Again, we can all call for capspace, but who really trusts this GM with it?
The fact is that Drury is a player who was being counted on to be what he has been most of his career (much longer than that of Higgins). If you're going to measure whose lack of production has been more problematic, you'd have to think it's Drury (who has also seen substantially more ice time than Higgins).

When you extrapolate Dubi's current scoring levels to a full 82 games (which he won't play due to his injury), he'd have roughly 20 goals and 55 points. That's more than a 35% increase in scoring from his previous two years

Kotalik is exactly what everyone knew he'd be. An inconsistent player who gets just about all of his goals from his big shot.

Even ignoring contracts, a player like Drury has to be considered one of the team's biggest problems, because he was being COUNTED ON to do what he has done in the past (20-25 goals), and he hasn't done it.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
  #123
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
The fact is that Drury is a player who was being counted on to be what he has been most of his career (much longer than that of Higgins). If you're going to measure whose lack of production has been more problematic, you'd have to think it's Drury (who has also seen substantially more ice time than Higgins).

When you extrapolate Dubi's current scoring levels to a full 82 games (which he won't play due to his injury), he'd have roughly 20 goals and 55 points. That's more than a 35% increase in scoring from his previous two years

Kotalik is exactly what everyone knew he'd be. An inconsistent player who gets just about all of his goals from his big shot.

Even ignoring contracts, a player like Drury has to be considered one of the team's biggest problems, because he was being COUNTED ON to do what he has done in the past (20-25 goals), and he hasn't done it.
Prior to this year, Drury has basically matched his average seasons here. This year he off that pace. Of course he's now on the third line and not getting any PP time.

The whole team deserves blame save two players. I just think the easy thing to do is look at the highest paid players. Dubinsky has, year in and year out, played with the best offensive player on the team. Yet he's not taken the next step. Doesn't he get some blame?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
  #124
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
To further illustrate my point, I'll go ahead and show what our team would look like if we took out the bad contracts and replaced those players with guys making similar money who aren't even the best cost value guys to begin with:

Replace Drury with Brad Richards
Replace Redden with Brian Rafalksi
Replace Rozsival with Kubina
Replace Kotalik with Byfuglien
Replace Higgins with Antti Miedttinen
Replace Brashear with Daniel Paille

Our team would end up looking like:

Prospal-Richards-Gaborik
Byfuglien-Dubinsky-Callahan
Miettinen-Anisimov-Avery
Paille-Boyle-Lisin

Rafalski-Kubina
Staal-Girardi
DZ-Gilroy

Lundqvist
Ochocinco

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 03:06 PM
  #125
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
My favorite Torts quote:

Media: So what happened on the power play?
Torts: I'm not going to sit here and dissect the game...
Media: Ok.....What about the breakdown in the third?
Torts: Look, I'm not going to dissect the game. I'm just not going to do it.

Media:......Ok....Have you seen Avatar yet?


LOL..Thats is great...

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.