HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

dirty hits in the NHL...

Old
01-15-2010, 12:30 AM
lifeisruff

vCash: 500
dirty hits in the NHL...

I just got done watching the Kassian/Kennedy hit and it got me thinking. Ok it's a dirty hit, but Kennedy skated off the ice on his own power. From what I could see he was conscious and alert the whole time. So what Kassian did is illegal, but

this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9RdspQzZx8 (Brian Campbell on RJ Umberger)

this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-...eature=related (Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros)

and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql-lyihBkM (Dion Phaneuf on Kyle Okposo)

are all ok?

Lindros career was never the same after that hit, Okposo was taking off on a stretcher and Kennedy might of lost a tooth. Yet Kassian is one who is going to get the 5+ game suspension.

The message being what?. It's ok if you hit someone and put them into the hospital but heaven forbid you leave you feet to hit someone.

Now I'm not saying we should start judging hits based on their end result, but maybe we ought to reexamine how we define a dirty a hit. I guess my rant boils down to "we gotta find a way to better protect our players"

thoughts? flames? angry comments?

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
chances14

clean hits can sometimes result in injuries. it happens

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
SayNoToStim

crossing the middle with your head down results in getting hit.

in other news, too much cake makes you fat.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:28 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
I just got done watching the Kassian/Kennedy hit and it got me thinking. Ok it's a dirty hit, but Kennedy skated off the ice on his own power. From what I could see he was conscious and alert the whole time. So what Kassian did is illegal, but

this

this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-...eature=related (Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros)

and this

are all ok?

Lindros career was never the same after that hit, Okposo was taking off on a stretcher and Kennedy might of lost a tooth. Yet Kassian is one who is going to get the 5+ game suspension.

The message being what?. It's ok if you hit someone and put them into the hospital but heaven forbid you leave you feet to hit someone.

Now I'm not saying we should start judging hits based on their end result, but maybe we ought to reexamine how we define a dirty a hit. I guess my rant boils down to "we gotta find a way to better protect our players"

That punishisment should be given to the play, and not the result of the play. The clearer the intent, the bigger the suspension.

That hit Kassian gave was; Charging(too many strides), Charging(leaving his feet), Interference(player never touched the puck), and elbowing(couldn't see a good enough angle) possibly. That spells intent all over.

If a player taps another player on the ankle and somehow manages to break it, should he be suspended for an everyday play? If a player does a baseball swing at another players leg, resulting in no injury, should he get off with no discipline?

Players with the puck need to expect to be hit, and protect themself accordingly. If a 6'5 player skates smaller then a 6'0 player the only person he can blame is himself if he gets injured. If they get injured because of a clean hit, it's because they didn't protect themself properly. A player without the puck doesn't expect to be hit, so he can't protect himself properly.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Dylonus

hate to break it to you, but the only dirty hit is the lindros hit.

the campbell to umberger was pretty clean, and the okposo hit was a prime example of "keep your head up coming through the zone"

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:52 AM
bones21212

show me footage of the play in question and ill gladly offer my opinion.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Haven't seen the Phaneuf hit yet, but the Campbell and Stevens hits are 100% clean. Textbook open ice hits pure and simple.

It is sad that players get injured, sure, but bodychecks are an important part of hockey and so is knowing how to avoid getting hit like that.

What Kassian did on the other hand was just reckless, even if the guy he hit got away without injuries.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Live from Rexall

Wow just saw this hit and that was headhunting pure and simple thats almost as bad as Downie's hit on McCamond only he didnt rock him into the boards.
1 left his feet
2 head shot
3 Kennedy never touched the puck

Kassian will get im guessing 10 games maybe more as David Branch is known to not tolerate these types of hits anymore.

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Live from Rexall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayNoToStim View Post
crossing the middle with your head down results in getting hit.

in other news, too much cake makes you fat.
Is it just me or does it seem this guy didnt actually watch the hit? Head down is usually a guy watching his own fancy dangles or admiring a pass but in this case his head was looking up, as the puck was in the air and he had yet to touch the puck.

Sorry for the double post.

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live from Rexall View Post
Is it just me or does it seem this guy didnt actually watch the hit? Head down is usually a guy watching his own fancy dangles or admiring a pass but in this case his head was looking up, as the puck was in the air and he had yet to touch the puck.

I think he was talking about the other hits you posted not the Kassian hit

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

According to Colin Campbell, a shoulder-to-shoulder body check can be called for boarding or charging, but a premeditated flying elbow to the head is a good hockey hit.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:53 PM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
hate to break it to you, but the only dirty hit is the lindros hit.

the campbell to umberger was pretty clean, and the okposo hit was a prime example of "keep your head up coming through the zone"
Actually... doesnt Phaneuf leave his feet? It looks like he does it at the exact right moment to disguise it.

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:38 PM
SayNoToStim

Quote:

I was talking about the other hits, namely Eric Lindros.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
SiouxPride

any link to the Kassian hit?

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:

this

this

and this

are all ok?

haven't seen the ohl one but the nhl ones you showed were clean, comon we aren't babies here

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryNumber5 View Post
Actually... doesnt Phaneuf leave his feet? It looks like he does it at the exact right moment to disguise it.
if it is that close it should just be considered clean

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:

this

this

and this

are all ok?

Its hockey , a sport with violent collisions, players wil get hurt. Once you accept that realtiy it will make it easier for you to deal with the injuries. No one freaks out when players get hurt in football from getting hit but in hockey histeria ensues after every big hit.

I think this site would crash almost daily if the game was still played like it was back in the 80s.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Wow just saw this hit and that was headhunting pure and simple thats almost as bad as Downie's hit on McCamond only he didnt rock him into the boards.
1 left his feet
2 head shot
3 Kennedy never touched the puck

Kassian will get im guessing 10 games maybe more as David Branch is known to not tolerate these types of hits anymore.
I can't transfer the pic over from the prospects thread or the one in the Sabres forum. But anyway it shows Kassian's skates are on the ice at the moment of impact. So no, he didn't leave his feet to deliver the hit.

Add to that Kennedy turning at the last second towards Kassian and you get Kennedy getting blasted head on.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Jeremy2020

Poster seems confused. Kassian doesn't play in the NHL. The is the National Hockey League. You can see the website at www.nhl.com; it has a list of the teams and players that are in the league.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote