HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#47 - 01.14.2010 | Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Could it be that our boys went out and partied Wed night after that "playoff like" game against the devs...?

the temptation has got to be there. And it's on Tortorella to reign in that kind of crap.
I don't think that's the problem.

Bottom line, this team is fragile and mentally weak. Renney used to say it last year, and I don't think that's changed, despite the influx of new players.

Players like Christensen, Rozy, Higgins, etc. suffer from severe confidence issues. Christensen admitted it himself: he couldn't sleep on Tuesday night because he was obsessing over the flubbed shootout attempt. Tortorella was putting it nicely by calling him "cerebral."

The veterans on the team are not equipped to deal with the team's problems. They've got their own issues to focus on: Drury's probably putting a lot of pressure on himself because of his lack of scoring this year, Redden needs to play well and work hard in order to avoid being benched, Prospal is currently recovering from knee surgery.

A lot of people expected the letdown game last night, and part of it is because this team just does not have the mental fortitude to play a spirited game against a division rival and then bring that same type of attitude in the next game against a lesser opponent. Too many players on this team are pressing and struggling, and they are playing scared out there.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I'm not sure if this was pointed out, but what teh Fudge was Staal thinking in not laying out Kovalev at the side of net last night?

First defenceman on the scene and he tries to stick check? I know Kovy is strong on his skates, but Staal needed to las the smackethdown on Kovy's candyass.

That was disgusting.

I honestly wasn't even mad last night.

A team full of purse swinging Tom Poti's.

Sad.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

No Brashear at practice today. He's so good he doesn't need it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't think that's the problem.

Bottom line, this team is fragile and mentally weak. Renney used to say it last year, and I don't think that's changed, despite the influx of new players.

Players like Christensen, Rozy, Higgins, etc. suffer from severe confidence issues. Christensen admitted it himself: he couldn't sleep on Tuesday night because he was obsessing over the flubbed shootout attempt. Tortorella was putting it nicely by calling him "cerebral."

The veterans on the team are not equipped to deal with the team's problems. They've got their own issues to focus on: Drury's probably putting a lot of pressure on himself because of his lack of scoring this year, Redden needs to play well and work hard in order to avoid being benched, Prospal is currently recovering from knee surgery.

A lot of people expected the letdown game last night, and part of it is because this team just does not have the mental fortitude to play a spirited game against a division rival and then bring that same type of attitude in the next game against a lesser opponent. Too many players on this team are pressing and struggling, and they are playing scared out there.
Strong leadership fixes that.

Leadership from the GM to the HC to the Captain to the last player on the bench.

Something we lack at each and every level.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Columbus needed Tyutin, they gave Zherdev for him. They had enough offense and not enough talent at blue line. You make it as if they were looking to unload Zherdev. It was not so. Rangers told him to take a hike with no reason other than Sather's stubbornness. he doesn't get arbitration process, never will.

Tell anything about Torts but he has one undeniable ability. He can make talent to play better. However he is unable to improve mediocrity. That what Renney was good for. We've got to live with that now.
Well I think Columbus was also less than enamored with Zherdev's work ethic and performance. That's been pretty heavily discussed. I don't know that they were really that interested in keeping him around.

Remember, I'm a Zherdev fan and I wanted to keep him. But the guy is certainly developing a reputation.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
No Brashear at practice today. He's so good he doesn't need it.

His head is probably still ringing... The old man got owned pretty hard yesterday.

Great signing, Glen. You ****ing ****.

Last edited by Loffen: 01-15-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well I think Columbus was also less than enamored with Zherdev's work ethic and performance. That's been pretty heavily discussed. I don't know that they were really that interested in keeping him around.

Remember, I'm a Zherdev fan and I wanted to keep him. But the guy is certainly developing a reputation.
I think you're wrong. I listened to Hitch interview on NHL Live right at the time of Zherdev-Sather war and he said not a single word about "reputation". All he was saying that Zherdev is talented, but cannot get it done w/o support, i.e. not a leader by a virtue of his talent. That is Kovalev's description to me ( one reason we lost last night was Kovy's relentless assault ). We could use 2nd line offensive talent player to compliment Gaborik. We have plumbers there instead. Torts would make him shine. That is Torts specialty.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I think you're wrong. I listened to Hitch interview on NHL Live right at the time of Zherdev-Sather war and he said not a single word about "reputation". All he was saying that Zherdev is talented, but cannot get it done w/o support, i.e. not a leader by a virtue of his talent. That is Kovalev's description to me. We could use 2nd line offensive talent player to compliment Gaborik. We have plumbers there instead. Torts would make him shine. That is Torts specialty.
You could be right.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
I think you're wrong. I listened to Hitch interview on NHL Live right at the time of Zherdev-Sather war and he said not a single word about "reputation". All he was saying that Zherdev is talented, but cannot get it done w/o support, i.e. not a leader by a virtue of his talent. That is Kovalev's description to me ( one reason we lost last night was Kovy's relentless assault ). We could use 2nd line offensive talent player to compliment Gaborik. We have plumbers there instead. Torts would make him shine. That is Torts specialty.
Kovalev was the best player on the ice last night besides the goaltenders and was the reason the Senators were even competitive and pretty much the only reason they won. Kovalev is also probably given the least credit and one of the most important players during our Stanley Cup run. I don't argue that Kovalev couldn't have been more or better, but he's certainly a step up from Zherdev.

Hell, I wish we picked up Kovalev instead of Kotalik and Higgins. At least the guy can create.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
gravey9

I haven't read all of this thread, so i apologize for unintended repeats. But I have to say, I lay last night's loss on the coaching staff for one very simple reason. The Senators seem to be playing some sort of trap last night as it seemed impossible for the rangers to get the puck through the neutral zone to set up a decent forecheck all night. I think adjustments in terms of how they were breaking the trap and how they were going to forecheck needed to be made but it felt like the players kept doing the same thing time and again and as a result but very little pressure on M Brodeur the whole night.

As far as I could tell the team had two really good shifts the whole night - and they were with Callahan and Dubinsky forechecking together. It is also plausible that last night's line combos where ineffective because there were too many players in the lineup who are not the best at sustaining cycling/forechecking: see Kotalik, Brashear, Prospal and Gabby who seem tired, Higgins, Boyle... it's actually an epidemic right now.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
His head is probably still ringing... The old man got owned pretty hard yesterday.

Great signing, Glen. You ****ing ****.
He should really hang 'em up, or rather his doctor should say that playing is too dangerous for his health, and he will be put on LTIR for good.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Well last night was no surprise to the majority of posters on here. We all saw a let down, flat team losing to a bunch of AHLers before the game even started. I mean really, MIKE BRODEUR.......we are the laughing stock on hf boards today gentlemen.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
skymachine

And to rub salt in the wound, the Coyotes managed 4 goals on 19 shots against the REAL Brodeur last night...

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Kovalev was the best player on the ice last night besides the goaltenders and was the reason the Senators were even competitive and pretty much the only reason they won. Kovalev is also probably given the least credit and one of the most important players during our Stanley Cup run. I don't argue that Kovalev couldn't have been more or better, but he's certainly a step up from Zherdev.

Hell, I wish we picked up Kovalev instead of Kotalik and Higgins. At least the guy can create.
$1100000.00 better than Zherdev? That is about right. Kovalev->Zherdev-> Lisin. Similar players, although we are getting progressively worse talent-wise from one to another.

Old
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
$1100000.00 better than Zherdev? That is about right. Kovalev->Zherdev-> Lisin. Similar players, although we are getting progressively worse talent-wise from one to another.
How is Lisin anything at all like those first two.

Lisin isnt a dangler.
Lisin goes in corners
Lisin wins puck battles along the boards.
Lisin doesn;t float, instead he goes to the net and gives it his all.

The other two may have 10x more talent, but Lisin is simply incomparable in any area of his gameplay.

All underachieving Russians arent the same.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
How is Lisin anything at all like those first two.

Lisin isnt a dangler.
Lisin goes in corners

The other two may have 10x more talent, but Lisin is simply incomparable in any area of his gameplay.

All underachieving Russians arent the same.
This is just sad.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Henrik is going to start looking for a new team.

and I wouldn't blame him. If I were him I would let the front office have it. He should say something to get them thinking because it's not right that a goalie of his caliber is being wasted on this team. If he was on a better team there is no doubt by now that he would have made a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. It's Sad.

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Selective what? We lost last night because we didn't score a goal. 31 points in 39 games for a league that has Marcel Hossa among the top scorers isn't impressive at all. There's nothing selective about it. He's talented, but there's a reason Columbus gave up on him and the Rangers told him to take a hike. I can't find ATOI stats, but judging by the top 3 scorers being a C, RW, and LW and the fact that he doesn't PK, I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the 1st line.

What does 4 million get you? Saku Kovu 3.2. How about Nathan Horton? Travis Zajac? Derek Roy? Patrick Kane? I could go on. This doesn't include RFA's. I think you're glorifying what Zherdev is and was.
You are letting your hatred blind you. That you would not want a skilled forward to create offense tells me all I need to know. And that the lord you're not a GM. The funny thing is that the post was not about Z. I was lamenting the dirth of creative forwards on the team and lack of accountability.

As for the names you dropped, you do know the circumstances behind them. You would take Saku Koivu? End of discussion. I'm not glorifying Z, he's gone. But you batty if you don't think our team could use a creative player.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 01-15-2010 at 06:30 PM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not sure if this was pointed out, but what teh Fudge was Staal thinking in not laying out Kovalev at the side of net last night?

First defenceman on the scene and he tries to stick check? I know Kovy is strong on his skates, but Staal needed to las the smackethdown on Kovy's candyass.

That was disgusting.

I honestly wasn't even mad last night.

A team full of purse swinging Tom Poti's.

Sad.

I agree that was embarrassing. Kovalev was just standing right next to Hank swinging away. Christensen was also there just watching. This team is too soft. They need a physical defensemen badly. Someone like Volchenkov from the senators who is a free agent would be a great fit.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Chimp

Quote:

Agreed. Kovalev is basically a boosted Nylander (when he was good). Kovalev could very well have been an excellent playmaker for players like Kotalik, Avery and Callahan. Not Higgins, because he can't even hit open nets.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Just wondering... If we didn't sign Kotalik and Brashear, would we have enough cap-space for Zherdev and Antropov?

Old
01-15-2010, 07:48 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Just wondering... If we didn't sign Kotalik and Brashear, would we have enough cap-space for Zherdev and Antropov?
Probably one of them

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Lisin isnt a dangler.
Lisin goes in corners
This sounds like a Chuck Norris thing.

Under Lisin's helmet there is no hair, just a fist.

Lisin is so fast he has time to score a goal, go for dinner and be back in time for the corresponding faceoof.

Lisin once missed a shot on goal, just to see what it was like.

Lisin doesn't have a wrist shot, he has a wrist bomb.

Lisin cuts down giant redwood trees to make his hockey sticks, using only his teeth.

Lisin doesn't float, he glides.

Lisin once sent a ref to the penalty box.

Lisin sharpens his skates in between every period, using only his finger nails.

Lisin once scored a goal just by thinking about scoring.

Lisin doesn't own a home, he sleeps wherever he wants.

Lisin is a national historic treasure in Russia.

Lisin once smacked Pavel Bure upside the head for being a slow skater.

Lisin doesn't make threats, he makes gurantees.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Lundqvist's sick save on Kovalev;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpibs9_Fm4

Old
01-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Lisin once sent a ref to the penalty box.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote