HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#47 - 01.14.2010 | Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
  #801
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Could it be that our boys went out and partied Wed night after that "playoff like" game against the devs...?

the temptation has got to be there. And it's on Tortorella to reign in that kind of crap.
I don't think that's the problem.

Bottom line, this team is fragile and mentally weak. Renney used to say it last year, and I don't think that's changed, despite the influx of new players.

Players like Christensen, Rozy, Higgins, etc. suffer from severe confidence issues. Christensen admitted it himself: he couldn't sleep on Tuesday night because he was obsessing over the flubbed shootout attempt. Tortorella was putting it nicely by calling him "cerebral."

The veterans on the team are not equipped to deal with the team's problems. They've got their own issues to focus on: Drury's probably putting a lot of pressure on himself because of his lack of scoring this year, Redden needs to play well and work hard in order to avoid being benched, Prospal is currently recovering from knee surgery.

A lot of people expected the letdown game last night, and part of it is because this team just does not have the mental fortitude to play a spirited game against a division rival and then bring that same type of attitude in the next game against a lesser opponent. Too many players on this team are pressing and struggling, and they are playing scared out there.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
  #802
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,976
vCash: 873
.

I'm not sure if this was pointed out, but what teh Fudge was Staal thinking in not laying out Kovalev at the side of net last night?

First defenceman on the scene and he tries to stick check? I know Kovy is strong on his skates, but Staal needed to las the smackethdown on Kovy's candyass.

That was disgusting.

I honestly wasn't even mad last night.

A team full of purse swinging Tom Poti's.

Sad.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
  #803
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 500
No Brashear at practice today. He's so good he doesn't need it.


haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
  #804
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,976
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't think that's the problem.

Bottom line, this team is fragile and mentally weak. Renney used to say it last year, and I don't think that's changed, despite the influx of new players.

Players like Christensen, Rozy, Higgins, etc. suffer from severe confidence issues. Christensen admitted it himself: he couldn't sleep on Tuesday night because he was obsessing over the flubbed shootout attempt. Tortorella was putting it nicely by calling him "cerebral."

The veterans on the team are not equipped to deal with the team's problems. They've got their own issues to focus on: Drury's probably putting a lot of pressure on himself because of his lack of scoring this year, Redden needs to play well and work hard in order to avoid being benched, Prospal is currently recovering from knee surgery.

A lot of people expected the letdown game last night, and part of it is because this team just does not have the mental fortitude to play a spirited game against a division rival and then bring that same type of attitude in the next game against a lesser opponent. Too many players on this team are pressing and struggling, and they are playing scared out there.
Strong leadership fixes that.

Leadership from the GM to the HC to the Captain to the last player on the bench.

Something we lack at each and every level.


pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
  #805
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,667
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Columbus needed Tyutin, they gave Zherdev for him. They had enough offense and not enough talent at blue line. You make it as if they were looking to unload Zherdev. It was not so. Rangers told him to take a hike with no reason other than Sather's stubbornness. he doesn't get arbitration process, never will.

Tell anything about Torts but he has one undeniable ability. He can make talent to play better. However he is unable to improve mediocrity. That what Renney was good for. We've got to live with that now.
Well I think Columbus was also less than enamored with Zherdev's work ethic and performance. That's been pretty heavily discussed. I don't know that they were really that interested in keeping him around.

Remember, I'm a Zherdev fan and I wanted to keep him. But the guy is certainly developing a reputation.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:06 PM
  #806
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
No Brashear at practice today. He's so good he doesn't need it.

His head is probably still ringing... The old man got owned pretty hard yesterday.

Great signing, Glen. You ****ing ****.


Last edited by Loffen: 01-15-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
  #807
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well I think Columbus was also less than enamored with Zherdev's work ethic and performance. That's been pretty heavily discussed. I don't know that they were really that interested in keeping him around.

Remember, I'm a Zherdev fan and I wanted to keep him. But the guy is certainly developing a reputation.
I think you're wrong. I listened to Hitch interview on NHL Live right at the time of Zherdev-Sather war and he said not a single word about "reputation". All he was saying that Zherdev is talented, but cannot get it done w/o support, i.e. not a leader by a virtue of his talent. That is Kovalev's description to me ( one reason we lost last night was Kovy's relentless assault ). We could use 2nd line offensive talent player to compliment Gaborik. We have plumbers there instead. Torts would make him shine. That is Torts specialty.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:28 PM
  #808
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,667
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think you're wrong. I listened to Hitch interview on NHL Live right at the time of Zherdev-Sather war and he said not a single word about "reputation". All he was saying that Zherdev is talented, but cannot get it done w/o support, i.e. not a leader by a virtue of his talent. That is Kovalev's description to me. We could use 2nd line offensive talent player to compliment Gaborik. We have plumbers there instead. Torts would make him shine. That is Torts specialty.
You could be right.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
  #809
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think you're wrong. I listened to Hitch interview on NHL Live right at the time of Zherdev-Sather war and he said not a single word about "reputation". All he was saying that Zherdev is talented, but cannot get it done w/o support, i.e. not a leader by a virtue of his talent. That is Kovalev's description to me ( one reason we lost last night was Kovy's relentless assault ). We could use 2nd line offensive talent player to compliment Gaborik. We have plumbers there instead. Torts would make him shine. That is Torts specialty.
Kovalev was the best player on the ice last night besides the goaltenders and was the reason the Senators were even competitive and pretty much the only reason they won. Kovalev is also probably given the least credit and one of the most important players during our Stanley Cup run. I don't argue that Kovalev couldn't have been more or better, but he's certainly a step up from Zherdev.

Hell, I wish we picked up Kovalev instead of Kotalik and Higgins. At least the guy can create.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
  #810
gravey9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
I haven't read all of this thread, so i apologize for unintended repeats. But I have to say, I lay last night's loss on the coaching staff for one very simple reason. The Senators seem to be playing some sort of trap last night as it seemed impossible for the rangers to get the puck through the neutral zone to set up a decent forecheck all night. I think adjustments in terms of how they were breaking the trap and how they were going to forecheck needed to be made but it felt like the players kept doing the same thing time and again and as a result but very little pressure on M Brodeur the whole night.

As far as I could tell the team had two really good shifts the whole night - and they were with Callahan and Dubinsky forechecking together. It is also plausible that last night's line combos where ineffective because there were too many players in the lineup who are not the best at sustaining cycling/forechecking: see Kotalik, Brashear, Prospal and Gabby who seem tired, Higgins, Boyle... it's actually an epidemic right now.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
  #811
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
His head is probably still ringing... The old man got owned pretty hard yesterday.

Great signing, Glen. You ****ing ****.
He should really hang 'em up, or rather his doctor should say that playing is too dangerous for his health, and he will be put on LTIR for good.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
  #812
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Well last night was no surprise to the majority of posters on here. We all saw a let down, flat team losing to a bunch of AHLers before the game even started. I mean really, MIKE BRODEUR.......we are the laughing stock on hf boards today gentlemen.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
  #813
skymachine
Registered User
 
skymachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
And to rub salt in the wound, the Coyotes managed 4 goals on 19 shots against the REAL Brodeur last night...

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
  #814
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Kovalev was the best player on the ice last night besides the goaltenders and was the reason the Senators were even competitive and pretty much the only reason they won. Kovalev is also probably given the least credit and one of the most important players during our Stanley Cup run. I don't argue that Kovalev couldn't have been more or better, but he's certainly a step up from Zherdev.

Hell, I wish we picked up Kovalev instead of Kotalik and Higgins. At least the guy can create.
$1100000.00 better than Zherdev? That is about right. Kovalev->Zherdev-> Lisin. Similar players, although we are getting progressively worse talent-wise from one to another.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
  #815
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
$1100000.00 better than Zherdev? That is about right. Kovalev->Zherdev-> Lisin. Similar players, although we are getting progressively worse talent-wise from one to another.
How is Lisin anything at all like those first two.

Lisin isnt a dangler.
Lisin goes in corners
Lisin wins puck battles along the boards.
Lisin doesn;t float, instead he goes to the net and gives it his all.

The other two may have 10x more talent, but Lisin is simply incomparable in any area of his gameplay.

All underachieving Russians arent the same.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
  #816
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
How is Lisin anything at all like those first two.

Lisin isnt a dangler.
Lisin goes in corners
Lisin wins puck battles along the boards.
Lisin doesn;t float, instead he goes to the net and gives it his all.

The other two may have 10x more talent, but Lisin is simply incomparable in any area of his gameplay.

All underachieving Russians arent the same.
This is just sad.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
  #817
Petey Pucks
Registered User
 
Petey Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Henrik is going to start looking for a new team.


and I wouldn't blame him. If I were him I would let the front office have it. He should say something to get them thinking because it's not right that a goalie of his caliber is being wasted on this team. If he was on a better team there is no doubt by now that he would have made a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. It's Sad.

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
  #818
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Selective what? We lost last night because we didn't score a goal. 31 points in 39 games for a league that has Marcel Hossa among the top scorers isn't impressive at all. There's nothing selective about it. He's talented, but there's a reason Columbus gave up on him and the Rangers told him to take a hike. I can't find ATOI stats, but judging by the top 3 scorers being a C, RW, and LW and the fact that he doesn't PK, I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the 1st line.

What does 4 million get you? Saku Kovu 3.2. How about Nathan Horton? Travis Zajac? Derek Roy? Patrick Kane? I could go on. This doesn't include RFA's. I think you're glorifying what Zherdev is and was.
You are letting your hatred blind you. That you would not want a skilled forward to create offense tells me all I need to know. And that the lord you're not a GM. The funny thing is that the post was not about Z. I was lamenting the dirth of creative forwards on the team and lack of accountability.

As for the names you dropped, you do know the circumstances behind them. You would take Saku Koivu? End of discussion. I'm not glorifying Z, he's gone. But you batty if you don't think our team could use a creative player.


Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 01-15-2010 at 06:30 PM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
  #819
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not sure if this was pointed out, but what teh Fudge was Staal thinking in not laying out Kovalev at the side of net last night?

First defenceman on the scene and he tries to stick check? I know Kovy is strong on his skates, but Staal needed to las the smackethdown on Kovy's candyass.

That was disgusting.

I honestly wasn't even mad last night.

A team full of purse swinging Tom Poti's.

Sad.

I agree that was embarrassing. Kovalev was just standing right next to Hank swinging away. Christensen was also there just watching. This team is too soft. They need a physical defensemen badly. Someone like Volchenkov from the senators who is a free agent would be a great fit.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
  #820
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Kovalev was the best player on the ice last night besides the goaltenders and was the reason the Senators were even competitive and pretty much the only reason they won. Kovalev is also probably given the least credit and one of the most important players during our Stanley Cup run. I don't argue that Kovalev couldn't have been more or better, but he's certainly a step up from Zherdev.

Hell, I wish we picked up Kovalev instead of Kotalik and Higgins. At least the guy can create.
Agreed. Kovalev is basically a boosted Nylander (when he was good). Kovalev could very well have been an excellent playmaker for players like Kotalik, Avery and Callahan. Not Higgins, because he can't even hit open nets.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
  #821
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,104
vCash: 500
Just wondering... If we didn't sign Kotalik and Brashear, would we have enough cap-space for Zherdev and Antropov?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:48 PM
  #822
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Just wondering... If we didn't sign Kotalik and Brashear, would we have enough cap-space for Zherdev and Antropov?
Probably one of them

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:28 PM
  #823
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Lisin isnt a dangler.
Lisin goes in corners
Lisin wins puck battles along the boards.
Lisin doesn;t float, instead he goes to the net and gives it his all.
This sounds like a Chuck Norris thing.

Under Lisin's helmet there is no hair, just a fist.

Lisin is so fast he has time to score a goal, go for dinner and be back in time for the corresponding faceoof.

Lisin once missed a shot on goal, just to see what it was like.

Lisin doesn't have a wrist shot, he has a wrist bomb.

Lisin cuts down giant redwood trees to make his hockey sticks, using only his teeth.

Lisin doesn't float, he glides.

Lisin once sent a ref to the penalty box.

Lisin sharpens his skates in between every period, using only his finger nails.

Lisin once scored a goal just by thinking about scoring.

Lisin doesn't own a home, he sleeps wherever he wants.

Lisin is a national historic treasure in Russia.

Lisin once smacked Pavel Bure upside the head for being a slow skater.

Lisin doesn't make threats, he makes gurantees.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:37 PM
  #824
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,104
vCash: 500
Lundqvist's sick save on Kovalev;



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpibs9_Fm4

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:33 AM
  #825
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Lisin once sent a ref to the penalty box.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.