HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pants Advice

Old
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Pants Advice

At age 33, I started skating for the first time last summer. Over that time I've also lost 35 pounds. It was my goal to lose another 70, and then pick out all my hockey equipment. It was going to be the reward, as well as a way of avoiding picking up things and having them only fit for a little while.

The local rink ran out of skating lessons for me to take, so created an adult hockey class for another guy and I. Originally they told us it'd be mostly focused on skating with a little bit of stick and puck work, and that all we needed was helmet, gloves, stick, and whatever knee/elbow pads we wanted (in my case some old rollerblade pads)

Now a few weeks into the class they want us to pick out full equipment so they can run some more drills, and I'm just looking for some advice as to what to pick out, especially in pants that are going to provide adequate protection from falls, but not break the bank. I've looked at all the local Play it Again Sports shops, and the only pair that fit me are some early 1980's Coopers.

Yes I know the most important is what fits, but was just wondering if people had any suggestions for a brand or model that would be affordable enough that I wouldn't regret getting rid of after a year or so.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
gintonic

Have you checked all the hockey supply websites? They usually always are running sales on stuff and you can pick something up on sale. I think hockeymonkey.com currently has quite a few on sale.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
jsykes

Sounds like you dont need anything extensive for protection if its mainly for drills and learning. You can get new pants online for under $45 that should easily fit your bill.

Something like these: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...-one15-sr.html

Or these: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...-v02le-sr.html

Would definitely do the trick for you and not cost you an arm and a leg. You could probably get 75% of the cost back when you go to sell them after you lose your additional weight.

BTW, good for you. I've recently lost about 60 lbs myself and my gift was to get back into hockey after 15 years of being out of it. It was a good feeling to buy all new equipment that is smaller than that I was using the last time I stepped on the ice.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Too bad you couldn't find some old Tacklas at the PIAS...I see them all the time.

Anything that fits you around the waist would be a good temporary set of pants, but look for something that covers your kneecap when standing. Padding in the butt is nice too for when you fall.

I'd also look at some shin pads, even cheap ones would be better than knee pads. A puck in the shin hurts.

You could get away with some cheap elbow pads until you get your set of real gear.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:16 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Too bad you couldn't find some old Tacklas at the PIAS...I see them all the time.

Anything that fits you around the waist would be a good temporary set of pants, but look for something that covers your kneecap when standing. Padding in the butt is nice too for when you fall.

I'd also look at some shin pads, even cheap ones would be better than knee pads. A puck in the shin hurts.

You could get away with some cheap elbow pads until you get your set of real gear.
Tacklas at a PIAS? If you see a 5000 in a 46 or a 48 for $30 or so, let me know.

To the OP: you'll want to get something decent. Low end pants fit badly and aren't very protective. Get better stuff on closeout. the protex pants on hockeyworld (I think they're still there) are an amazing deal. If not, there's plenty of others.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Skraut

Thanks everybody for your comments. My LHS's options are pretty limited, but I'm still a bit concerned about buying something online without the opportunity to try it out first.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:33 PM
bigreid

I got some xxxl pants for $30 from hockeyworld.com They are great, Louisville TPS pants and so far I love them, expecially for the money! I can get you a link if needed.

bigreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Thanks everybody for your comments. My LHS's options are pretty limited, but I'm still a bit concerned about buying something online without the opportunity to try it out first.
Yeah the returns policies of different websites are clearly stated for each website at each website.

I don't know about pants returns if something doesn't fit but they state for things like cups, undergarments or other "personal" items that sales are final.

I would think they would take pants back but I could be wrong.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote