HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Haiti Relief effort

Old
01-15-2010, 05:31 PM
elesig

vCash: 500
Haiti Relief effort

Hello fellow Edmonton Oilers fans! I don't post too often on here, but I'm always reading what you all have to say. I searched around, and I couldn't find anything relating to this. I hope no one minds this thread, I have no intention of disrupting the "hockey flow" I also hope this doesn't go against any rule or guideline on here.

I wrote a 'note' on Facebook with different methods by which one can donate to the Haiti Relief fund. I'm trying to get the word out on all of these as I don't think too many people know the different ways there are to help:

If you're going to go out tonight, or tomorrow night and you have 5, 10, or hopefully even more dollars to spare.. please consider buying one less drink and donating to the relief fund in Haiti.

How you can help:
Donate online -http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=000005&tid=003
Call toll-free - 1-800-418-1111

Donate at Edmonton's local office:
Edmonton Office
9931 - 106th Street
Edmonton, AB
T5K 1E2
Phone: (780) 423-2680
Fax: (780) 428-7092

According to the Canadian Red Cross website:
The Government of Canada will match dollar for dollar the contributions of individual Canadians to eligible Canadian charitable organizations, such as the Canadian Red Cross, in support of humanitarian, recovery and reconstruction efforts in response to the earthquake in Haiti, up to a total of $50 million.

The following banks are accepting donations for the Canadian Red Cross relief:
BMO Financial Group
Canadian Western Bank
CIBC
HSBC Bank Canada
Laurentian Bank of Canada
National Bank Financial Group
RBC
Scotiabank
TD Canada Trust

Rogers wireless and Fido customers can donate $5 by texting the word “Help” to shortcode 1291

MSF is setting up temporary field hospitals throughout the affected areas, donate to them here: https://msf.donorportal.ca/MSFEN/Don...545&T=GENER%20

UNICEF - https://secure.unicef.ca/portal/Smar...D=90&CID=99%20

TEXT TO DONATE:
Text the word, ‘Yele’, to 501501, which will automatically register a $5 (U.S.) donation.
To donate $5 by text: HAITI to 30333
Text 'Haiti" to 90999 for a 10$ donation
Rogers wireless subscribers can text the word "Help" to 1291 to donate $5 to Haitian relief efforts.
Cellphone users can send donations of $5 by texting the word "Haiti" to 45678 to donate to the Salvation Army.

Walmart is also taking donations.

Sources for information:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...ons-haiti.html
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/750738
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../13/c8338.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...elp.html?cat=2
http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=33898&tid=001

Last edited by Fugu: 01-16-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: link
elesig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
SlowFreshOil*

I donated $100 and urge the rest of you HFers to donate what you can. Even if it's $1. They need all the help they can get. I can't believe some of the pictures coming out of there.

These people don't need prayers either. They need help. Now.

Last edited by RKD: 01-15-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: probably not a good idea
SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
elesig

It is truly a tragedy. Every single donation is invaluable to the people of Haiti. Please spread the word guys. I know people think that there are only one or two ways to donate, but there are so many different things that one can do. If five dollars is all you can do, then please donate those five dollars. You are helping to save lives.

If anyone needs more sources for these methods of donating please just let me know! I provided two news articles at the end which hold much of the same information I posted.

Old
01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Thanks for making this thread. Hopefully us HF Oil members do our part.
I'm liking the text for donations option. It's real easy.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Thanks for making this thread. Hopefully us HF Oil members do our part.
I'm liking the text for donations option. It's real easy.
Just make sure the websites are credible guys and gals.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
OilerNut*

I just hope all the money and supplies end up going to people that need them and not lost along the way to corrupt agencies/governments.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
elesig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Just make sure the websites are credible guys and gals.
I triple-checked to make everything is credible. I provided two links to news articles at the end for you all to check out. Both of them list the same sources, and as I said earlier - if anyone requires any more sources please just let me know!

Edit: I've provided more sources for all the information stated

Old
01-15-2010, 06:35 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
I triple-checked to make everything is credible. I provided two links to news articles at the end for you all to check out. Both of them list the same sources, and as I said earlier - if anyone requires any more sources please just let me know!

Edit: I've provided more sources for all the information stated
Thats great Elle, just giving a warning there are many scams already going on. It disgusts me that people take advantage of others when disasters like this happen.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Ghostbuster

Someone should memo Shawn Horcoff.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:18 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
brutal situation.
even though the situation there before this happened needed just as much help and people wrote it off until a massive tragedy.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:20 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
brutal situation.
even though the situation there before this happened needed just as much help and people wrote it off until a massive tragedy.
And a few months later people won't care anymore.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
OmegaTheory

Some food for thought. http://www.capitaleritrea.com/insigh...99t-feed-them/

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
bzur

I donated 50 bucks through unicef... Thanks so much for the links!

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Crusty Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
Considering Haiti is in the Caribbean and the money is needed for much more than just food I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Sent $100 through the Red Cross website yesterday.

Crusty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Some more food for thought:

Will your donation go into the right hands or even get off the tarmac?

Logistics, looting, and lawlessness are the other nightmares in Haiti. We know how this usually turns out with the criminals getting fed.

Disturbing images:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-RSS&ATTR=News

Quote:
Gun-toting looters roamed the streets after the police abandoned their posts to look after their own families.
Russian rescuers said the security situation was so bad they would not work after nightfall.

The city's main prison was also destroyed by the quake leaving 4,000 prisoners free to roam the streets while bands of young men and boys with machetes were making the city even more hazardous.

Michel Legros, 53, said they were simply "scavenging everything" as he waited for help to search for seven relatives in a collapsed house.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...739/story.html

Quote:
"Our biggest problem is insecurity. (Thursday), they tried to hijack some of our trucks. Today, we were barely able to work in some places because of that," Delfin Antonio Rodriguez, civil defence chief and rescue commander for the Dominican Republic told AFP. "There's looting and people with guns out there, because this country is very poor and people are desperate."

According to some residents, machete-wielding thieves have begun roaming the streets at night. To compound the insecurity, it was also reported that some 4,000 inmates had escaped from the city's collapsed jail.

However, after earlier reports of looting, the UN's food relief agency said that little food appeared to have been taken from its warehouses at Port-au-Prince.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:04 PM
elesig

Our world is in a state of despair, not just in Haiti. Yes, it is unfortunate that people don't really care enough until tragedy strikes. There is poverty, and illness in our world and yes, people are not educated enough to know the true state of earth. However this is not a thread for superstition and doubt. The money you donate is MEANT to go directly to the relief fund.

Of course there is theft, and there is always a chance that what is put forth for the fund will not make it to the destination for one reason or another. This, however, should not be a reason to neglect the fact that these people need help. It should not be a reason to put your wallet in your back pocket and refuse to participate in an effort that is making a difference in the lives of these people.

There is crime, and that is obvious. But should this take precedence over the fact that there are people suffering, and who NEED help which we are more than capable of providing?

It was never my intention to turn this thread into anything more than a resource for anyone who was looking to help, and I hope it remains that way.

Old
01-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

The "fluff people" in the world are usually all talk & no action. It is nice to see things like this every now & then...

http://www.okmagazine.com/2010/01/sa...thout-borders/

The reason I am highlighting Doctors Without Borders is that I remember that organization when the tsunami hit Indonesia (where my wife is from).

I was shocked / amazed / impressed a few weeks into the rescue operation when they made a plea to donors to stop sending them money - that they had enough to pay for everything they were able to do - that donors should research other organizations then send money to those that would meet the donors needs...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Quinn View Post
Considering Haiti is in the Caribbean and the money is needed for much more than just food I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Sent $100 through the Red Cross website yesterday.
Just similar probelms, aid not going where it's susposed to and really hurting the country in the long run. Isn't it strange that the Dominican Republic which shares the same island is doing quite well.

Also see Replacement's post.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
cheesed-off*

It was very good of the OP to make this post, and very good of all of you who have donated, to donate.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:44 PM
nanook

Made my donation through Red Cross. Shame that it takes this sort of tragedy to draw attention to the plight of the Haitian people. Sadly, there are many others in desperate need as well.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:14 AM
badberry

I see people have their excuses armed for not doing anything. No point trying to convince them. I'm just glad there are enough people out there generous enough to help. That country needs everything it can get right now. Horrible.

badberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Mod: deleted.

not going to get into politics but just want to say I appreciate how quickly the government of Canada acted to initate their efforts to get aid loaded and ships on their way.

Last edited by Fugu: 01-16-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: quotes deleted post (qdp)
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:09 AM
sukimono

Quote:
Isn't it strange that the Dominican Republic which shares the same island is doing quite well.
Very different demographics too... so no, not a strange thing at all.

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
My thinking as well. Ethnic violence, corruption and perpetual dependency on foreign aid. Obviously disaster relief is a different beast, but I have a hard time helping those who refuse to help themselves.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote