Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kabanov and Galiev blacklisted for playing in the CHL

Old
01-16-2010, 06:08 PM
DoctorDoak

vCash: 500
Kabanov and Galiev blacklisted for playing in the CHL

Please read the whole post before responding, I realise this is a charged issue. But I think this is a pretty revealing interview that Kirill Kabanov gave the Pipeline Show.

Quote:
During the past two months of inactivity, Kabanov has missed both the Subway Super Series (CHL vs Russia) and the World Junior Championship. I already knew the answer but wanted to hear it from him so I asked: Would he have played in those events for Russia and for coach Vladimir Plyuschev if he could have?
"No. He loves his country, he loves Russia but for him I am like an enemy. He doesn't love me at all right now because he thinks that I ran away from Russia. I've tried to explain to him that I'm not running away from Russia, I'm just running from hockey in Russia. He can't understand this and for sure I can't play [in Moncton] and for the Russian national team."
In December we spoke with Stanislav Galiev, another Russian playing in the QMJHL. Despite a very productive season in Saint John, Galiev was not named to the Russian WJC team either and we asked him if he was surprised by that.
"I never talked to the coach [Plyuschev] of the U20 team. I know that he doesn't like younger guys," said Galiev and then I asked him if he and Kabanov have discussed the situation that they share, both being black-balled for leaving Russia for the CHL. "[Kabanov] told me that the coach said he wouldn't take him because he's young and maybe that's the same thing with me."
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...anov.html#more

I can sort of understand why national team officials resent young players who choose to go elsewhere - you see a similar phenomenon with USA Hockey being reluctant to pick Americans playing in the CHL for the World Juniors (like John Carlson last year). Do you guys have anymore thoughts on this phenomenon, though? I'm not sure playing politics with young athletes' aspirations is necessarily a great idea - it seems to cause a lot of resentment on all sides.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:22 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Wasn't Team Russia really young compared to others?

Team USA changed their mind this year about CHL players and it looks like it was a good decision. They had 9 CHL players on their roster (Phil McRae, Tyler Johnson, Luke Walker, Ryan Bourque, Brian Lashoff, AJ Jenks, Cam Fowler, Jeremy Morin, *John Carlson).

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:37 PM
ult

I just hope that kabanov will never play for team Russia at any level at all. I'd be happy to share my thoughts of him, but mods here are pretty harsh so I'll pass on that. Really, his interviews after he moved there, about how he's happy to get free leg warmers (not sure how it's called in english) are just pure gold. Woah at him talking ***** about "running from hockey in Russia" and his "difficult childhood". Revoke his citizenship and give him a canadian passport or something, I couldn't care less.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
I just hope that kabanov will never play for team Russia at any level at all. I'd be happy to share my thoughts of him, but mods here are pretty harsh so I'll pass on that. Really, his interviews after he moved there, about how he's happy to get free leg warmers (not sure how it's called in english) are just pure gold. Woah at him talking ***** about "running from hockey in Russia" and his "difficult childhood". Revoke his citizenship and give him a canadian passport or something, I couldn't care less.
lol!

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:32 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
lol!
I'll just quote him. Enjoy.
Quote:
I am already playing in North America and I know for sure that in Russia, nobody likes me - they make a lot of bad websites about me, there have been a lot of interviews about me that I'm bad, that I'm not Russian now and that I'm Canadian or a United States guy. Vladimir Plyuschev has called me a "Sweet Boy", he usually calls American guys "Sweet Guys", so now he says that I have become a "Sweet Guy."
Looks like I'm not the only one who think this way. Unless all of this is my doing.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDoak View Post
I can sort of understand why national team officials resent young players who choose to go elsewhere - you see a similar phenomenon with USA Hockey being reluctant to pick Americans playing in the CHL for the World Juniors (like John Carlson last year). Do you guys have anymore thoughts on this phenomenon, though? I'm not sure playing politics with young athletes' aspirations is necessarily a great idea - it seems to cause a lot of resentment on all sides.

It's not national team officials as much as one guy......Plyushev. Historically, this hasn't been a problem like it has with USA Hockey.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:09 PM
MaxV

Alexander Burmistrov, Ramis Sadikov and Dmitry Kostromitin are all playing in the CHL and were invited to play for Russia.

In the case of Kabanov, I do think Plyuschev had a problem with the way he left his team and made public comments.

In the case of Galiev, I just think Plyuschev thought that Russia already had too many underaged forwards.

I hope to see both of these guys play for Russia in the next year's WJC.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Zine

Kabanov is a rich kid with a tendency to badmouth people or organizations who are opposed to what he wants.
He has every right to speak his mind (I actually applaud him for it); however, he also seems to think the ramifications for saying such things is unfair.

Honestly, his whole “poor me, back home I’m public enemy #1” shtick is just..

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:18 AM
DoctorDoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Kabanov is a rich kid with a tendency to badmouth people or organizations who are opposed to what he wants.
He has every right to speak his mind (I actually applaud him for it); however, he also seems to think the ramifications for saying such things is unfair.

Honestly, his whole “poor me, back home I’m public enemy #1” shtick is just..
Gotcha, of course there's always another side to it. That it was both Galiev and Kabanov made me wonder if there was more to it, but it is disappointing to hear that Kabanov has to some extent brought this situation on himself.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:42 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
i am sure that Kabanov will play for RUSSIA in future. someone talking too much someone dosnt talk at all , so you just cant be sure which words were taken out of context by editors,columnist,journalist and so on...most important thing is ICEHOCKEY him self ! we know tons of players with bad character or with bad behaviour outside of rink but many of them represent theyr homecountrys at international level and are very successful on that. NB> we all have heard about Tiger Woods and his personal life ...that witch-hunt is making me sick. all those morons talking about moral and so on...these hypocrites arent brave enough to ask them selfs ARE THEY THOSE RIGHT ONES TO POINT THE FINGER AT ??

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Looks like I'm not the only one who think this way. Unless all of this is my doing.
Well, is Kabanov lying or not?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Your nationalism is going to kill you. Good luck!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
mitchgoalie31

What are you talking about Kabanov is a hero

mitchgoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:

how does that reflect poorly on Kabanov? in this example it certainly seems like the coach is the loser.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
too bed, Kabanov and Medvedev have poor advisers..

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:21 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMO, Kabanov is a mardy, stupid guy. Every knows to understand if he would take citizenship for problems with a bureaucracy (as many Russian players, for example Afinogenov), so he would have Russian and American/Canadian. But his absurdities are funny. He very quick forgot from where he come from. He forgot he does not represent his coach or A. Medvedev but his homeland. See Filatov. Pluscev said a lot of bad comments on his adress. Did Nikita say something similar? Not. Did Nikita say about change of his citizenship? Not. Mogilny and Fedorov emigrated. Did they said somenting similar about USSR? Not. Etc. etc.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

"Sweet Guy"? Hilarious.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDoak View Post
Please read the whole post before responding, I realise this is a charged issue. But I think this is a pretty revealing interview that Kirill Kabanov gave the Pipeline Show.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...anov.html#more

This can all be summed up with one word...

MONEY

nally is offline   Reply With Quote