HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher or Leighton

View Poll Results: Do you keep Boucher or Leighton
Boucher 35 37.63%
Leighton 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
What do you call this season then?
10 games doesn't count as a "stretch" over the span of a career. He was awful before he got here...he needs to finish just as good for me to pick him over Boosh.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Leighton has brought the Flyers back into the playoff race, and you call him below average? I wonder what a goalie has to do to make you satisfied..

I think Leighton will remain in net as long as he stays sharp, then he'll become the backup for Emery. Boucher will probably hit waivers.
The Flyers defense and offense has made Leighton much better than he actually is

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Bort Sampson

This Flyers team is playing better with Leighton in net. Leighton makes a lot of mistakes playing (out of position, rebound control), but at this point the Flyers know what they're getting out of him. I'd like to see him stay in net unless he makes some glaring mistakes.

If the Flyers continue playing the way they have recently played, goaltending will not be an issue. They have 3 goalies who have shown the ability to play behind them, with Emery looking the best when healthy. Leighton has had the best results but he's also had the best team in front of him.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:23 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
The Flyers defense and offense has made Leighton much better than he actually is
Way too many juicy rebounds, but as a backup I'll take the guy who almost always makes the first save over the guy who has a little bit too much trouble holding the post.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
thomaszwei

I think it'd be better for them to keep Leighton at this point, because as someone stated earlier in the thread, Leighton's younger and thus, has more potential upside. He's also cheaper which will help the Flyers cap situation come next season.

Really, we're discussing our backup goaltender here. I still think the starting job should be Emery's to lose. The Flyers have been winning games because the offense is firing on all cylinders, not because of stellar, lights-out goaltending. Consistent goaltending perhaps, but nothing that's really won the game on its own.

Hopefully, Leighton's play inspires Emery to come out and really battle to claim the number one spot as his own.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
TheKeg

I voted Leighton for one major reason. He's never played this much, nor this well in his career. Not one team has given him a legit shot at being a #1 goalie. And now he's seeing his chance to prove himself.

For those that say he didn't do well in Carolina on a good team: He played 19 (started 14) games as a backup. In that same year, the starter on that "good" Carolina team was 39-23.

But what sticks out the most to me is the confidence the Flyers have with him in net. Frankly, his style takes me back to Hexy's flop days in goal for us.

The telling stat to me that Leighton might be the real deal: for the first time in his career (8 wins is a career high for him...) he's got a team playing great hockey from front to back. Even on his off nights, the team is there to support him.

TheKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:07 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Leighton has brought the Flyers back into the playoff race, and you call him below average? I wonder what a goalie has to do to make you satisfied..

I think Leighton will remain in net as long as he stays sharp, then he'll become the backup for Emery. Boucher will probably hit waivers.
win the conn smythe.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
MsWoof

Laviolette says he hasn't made a decision yet as to who starts for Philly tomorrow. How is this even a question mark with him? Why won't he put Emery back in? Something is strange about this situation.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:37 PM
thevoice

Quote:
This is weird. Goalies have always been flyers weak point, suddenly they have 3 good goalies and don't know how to deal with it or who to keep
That's funny. As I read the title of this thread, I thought pretty much the opposite. I remember watching the Flyers thinking we had a goalie farm where we grew them on trees. I forget how time flies and that scenario is almost 20 years ago now. It's painful to look at the goalies we had pre-Lindros and compare them to the garbage we've had since 92. With the exception of Roman Cechmanek, our goaltending has been abysmal over the past almost two decades. Just like Gene Hart, just like the Spectrum, just like guys playing with heart for pride and the love of the game, the Flyers goalie farm may be gone forever. Go back and look at the great Flyer teams and they were built from within and from the ground up. Since we've started buying players and trading for the so called "big names", we've seen very little success. With the Wachovia Center approaching middle age, there hasn't been much celebrating going on in that building.

thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Laviolette says he hasn't made a decision yet as to who starts for Philly tomorrow. How is this even a question mark with him? Why won't he put Emery back in? Something is strange about this situation.
Because Laviolette thinks Leighton played a very good game, despite the loss. The team let him down, he said. Maybe it wouldn't be fair to replace him after his first loss, when going 8-1-1.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:15 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Because Laviolette thinks Leighton played a very good game, despite the loss. The team let him down, he said. Maybe it wouldn't be fair to replace him after his first loss, when going 8-1-1.
Thanks for telling us what Laviolette thinks. It's great that you're here to keep us informed with insider information

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Playing Emery against Washington is a big test. No one looked good against Washington last game we met. Everyone looked like **** especially our goalies. I thought Leighton played well in his last game but I would probably start Emery (if he is ready and healthy against Caps tomorrow) Hopefully our team play well in front of Ray.

I do not know about Boucher. Should we even dress him?? He did not look good against Cotsey (on cheesy Cotseys corner) the other day.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:00 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Emery for me.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:44 AM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Emery for me.
I think they'll start Emery tomorrow with Leighton backing him up... I see where Laviolette is coming from though with his hesitation. I mean, the Toronto game wasn't Leighton's loss at all... regardless, even if we won, I'd still like to see Laviolette give Leighton a break and throw in our #1 for a big game and see what he can do.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote