HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad Loss Habs lose 4-2 against Senators

Old
01-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Ubercron9000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Who's gonna take our old and slow and overpaid D-men ?

The problem with the Habs is that they have a very average team that never progress really (except for the year they won the Eastern Conf. Championship). They are always borderline to make or not make the playoffs since 15 years.

Gainey has his hands tied and is always facing the same dilemma: trade or not trade at the deadline ? He missed over the years tremendous opportunities to trade potential UFA players for good draft picks or talented youngsters.

On top of that, he traded two of his most talented young forwards - Ribeiro and Lats. Now, he is having another dilemma on his hands: he got to trade one of his young goalie... and he probably gonna trade the wrong one. He signed a bunch of smaller forwards at premium price, and some slow and over-the-hill d-men. He rushed his youngsters too while they should had spent more time at AHL level: Price, S.K., D'Ags, Pac. Lats.

Gillett must be happy to be out of this mess, and is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Last night game was apivot game. You win, you have tremendous chances to make the playoffs. You loose, and you're going down badly afterwards in the standing. That was a morale killer loss. Pencil it on your calendars.
Gainey had a chance to get some young prospects for the future of the organisation. I'm sure Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek would have been worth a good return.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:14 AM
thetrueblack

Thanks for the welcomes, appreciated.

I've seen both Price and Halak play live this year, both are excellent young goalies, Price's positioning is fantastic, he knows how to take away so much of the net already; Halak reminds me of how Boucher described Desjardins recently, a guy who though not a natural talent, is someone who gives up on nothing and fights every second of every play. His reflexes are phenomenal and this makes up for his lack of size in a big way. Halak is much better at tracking the puck; Price seems to get into position early and let things take their course.

We have to be exploring packages big-time including a lot of our d-men. I think Spacek is immovable with his contract. His play last night was par for the year, clueless on the puck and tentative. The guy we could get takers on is Hamrlik, but his talent level is very high 2nd pairing. I can see Mara, Gorges, O'Byrne being moved quickly to let in some youth from Hamilton.

Forwards, unless we trade for another big-body scoring potential winger, what can we do? D'Agostini is awful, but is White going to bring more offense? Because at this point it is not only about effort, grit, etc.: Dags' replacement has to be able to contribute to the scoring. Too bad about Pacioretty, by now he's probably be a monster in the AHL and confidence sky-high.

Really disjointed, mediocre effort out there last night. And if Lapierre and Gomez are out on the ice at the last, why are those two not taking the faceoffs?

At home, relatively fresh, biggest game of the year so far, we need way more from everyone. Gomez is a fine player, his line looks dangerous every moment. Hope he is inspired to vengeful heights tonight.

thetrueblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
GordonGraham

Markov was just awful last night , didnt produce any chances on the pp and was -3

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

what bothers me most of all is what this does to our picture right now, we're playing the rangers today and we're gonna be tired from last night. If we lost again that puts us at 50 games at 500 especially with a rough February coming, that scares me more then anything. We could find ourselves with only 19 games left and with a rather large hill to climb to even get back in

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Markov was just awful last night , didnt produce any chances on the pp and was -3
Markov can't do it all by himself. He is -3, but he wasn't alone on the ice.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Who's gonna take our old and slow and overpaid D-men ?

The problem with the Habs is that they have a very average team that never progress really (except for the year they won the Eastern Conf. Championship). They are always borderline to make or not make the playoffs since 15 years.

Gainey has his hands tied and is always facing the same dilemma: trade or not trade at the deadline ? He missed over the years tremendous opportunities to trade potential UFA players for good draft picks or talented youngsters.

On top of that, he traded two of his most talented young forwards - Ribeiro and Lats. Now, he is having another dilemma on his hands: he got to trade one of his young goalie... and he probably gonna trade the wrong one. He signed a bunch of smaller forwards at premium price, and some slow and over-the-hill d-men. He rushed his youngsters too while they should had spent more time at AHL level: Price, S.K., D'Ags, Pac. Lats.

Gillett must be happy to be out of this mess, and is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Last night game was apivot game. You win, you have tremendous chances to make the playoffs. You loose, and you're going down badly afterwards in the standing. That was a morale killer loss. Pencil it on your calendars.
Such a great post. Honestly.

There is very little to look forward to in Habs land, we have a bunch of good players but no absolutely great ones.

I think a lot of our struggles comes from the fact our D is *so* immobile. They have such a hard time winning battles to the puck and actually creating transition with any sort of urgency behind it. Our defense especially needs an absolute COMPLETE overhaul, only 2 guys I'd keep are Markov and Gorges because they are best offensive and defensive guys respectively and are MOBILE. P.K Subban needs to play next season, I also think a guy like Weber or Carle should also play because we need the speed (not that they are speedsters but much faster then what we currently have).

We need a good mixture of size and speed, right now on D we have size but no speed and up front we have speed but no size. How Gainey thought such a large and immobile D could be competitive in the new NHL is absolutely beyond me.

I like our top 6 forward corps for the most part (when it's 100% healthy). We could really use a Dustin Penner or Ryan Malone to shift into our top 6 though, it would completely change the dynamic of the team.

P.S: Price shat the bed big time last night, if Gainey trades Halak over this guy, I'm going to personally start the movement for Gainey to be fired.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

There is very little to look forward to in Habs land, we have a bunch of good players but no absolutely great ones.

I think a lot of our struggles comes from the fact our D is *so* immobile. They have such a hard time winning battles to the puck and actually creating transition with any sort of urgency behind it. Our defense especially needs an absolute COMPLETE overhaul, only 2 guys I'd keep are Markov and Gorges because they are best offensive and defensive guys respectively and are MOBILE. P.K Subban needs to play next season, I also think a guy like Weber or Carle should also play because we need the speed (not that they are speedsters but much faster then what we currently have).

We need a good mixture of size and speed, right now on D we have size but no speed and up front we have speed but no size. How Gainey thought such a large and immobile D could be competitive in the new NHL is absolutely beyond me.

I like our top 6 forward corps for the most part (when it's 100% healthy). We could really use a Dustin Penner or Ryan Malone to shift into our top 6 though, it would completely change the dynamic of the team.

P.S: Price shat the bed big time last night, if Gainey trades Halak over this guy, I'm going to personally start the movement for Gainey to be fired.
He will NEVER trade Price... But he can keep Halak for a while still, as he had the opportunity to keep Latendresse,Ribeiro and Beauchemin + his first pick he dealt for Tanguay, in the past. There is no rush to trade Halak. Price won't be instantly better and consistant because Halak is gone.

As for our D-Men, I would keep Hamrlik too for another year. And give ice time to O'Byrne who was playing so well at the beginning of the season. Add Subban + Carle or another one acquired via a trade (a tough one la Odelein), and the Habs should be fine.

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 01-17-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
He will NEVER trade Price... But he can keep Halak for a while still, as he had the opportunity to keep Latendresse,Ribeiro and Beauchemin + his first pick he dealt for Tanguay, in the past.

As for our D-Men, I would keep Hamrlik too for another year. And give ice time to O'Byrne who was playing so well at the beginning of the season. Add Subban + Carle or another one acquired via a trade (a tough one la Odelein), and the Habs should be fine.
He had better keep him. I always bought into the Price potential, I still think he can be a good #1 in this league, however with that being said Halak *is* a #1 goaltender right now.

I am ok with keeping Hamrlik as well, I forgot to mention him. O'Byrne also is a decent option to keep that size/toughness factor and he's pretty mobile considering his size. I definitely want to see Subban and one of Carle/Weber up though.

Old
01-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

And if Gainey is ever dumb enough to trade the only young guy we have here that can be a franchise player, I'm the one who's gonna want him fired.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
And if Gainey is ever dumb enough to trade the only young guy we have here that can be a franchise player, I'm the one who's gonna want him fired.
He's not ready to be a #1 goalie. Didn't say I wanted him traded, I don't want Halak traded.

Old
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Gainey is gonna be fired anyway at the end of this season, or he will resign, if his team miss the playoffs. I hope !

Old
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Gainey is gonna be fired anyway at the end of this season, or he will resign, if his team miss the playoffs. i hope !
We can only pray, this team needs a different approach.

Old
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocket View Post
the turnover was at center ice...I think Price had time to adjust...the great shootout goalie himself.... and franchise goalies should be able to catch a puck
Huh? The turnover at centre ice resulted on a clear break for Ottawa. time for price to adjust as you put it does not forgive the horrible giveaway while up a man. price came way out to cut down the angle and the shot was well placed.

it was a breakaway. Mimimizing it is just plain wrong. who is at fault? the goalie for failing to stop a clear break or the guy who coughed up the puck? you know the answer so why make it out to be a goalie thing?

Besides, the goal was stick side so how do you catch that with a blocker?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOZ4jxKPZOc

Check out my postgame vid on the game! SUBSCRIBE! Lol

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Habs Postgame Vlogs

Hey guys,

I know nobody really does any Habs postgame vids in English, so I figured last night at like 4am I'd take a stab at it. Let me know what you think, and please feel free to subscribe I'll be doing this every game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOZ4jxKPZOc

Stefan

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs played badly in every facet of the game, from the shorthanded goal to the end.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote