HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun-Wade Redden thoughts

Old
01-17-2010, 12:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Pierre LeBrun-Wade Redden thoughts

Quote:
The only real option on Redden is to send him to the AHL and eat his contract. A buyout next summer doesn't solve anything because the Rangers would still carry a $2 million cap hit from him for the next eight years.

I guess if you're New York, there's also the hope that when the next collective-bargaining agreement is negotiated, whether that's after next season or the season after that (the NHL Players' Association has the option of extending it a seventh year), teams will once again get a one-time shot at buying out their worst contract without cap implications, which was the case in August 2005, when the last CBA started. That would be an opportune time for the Rangers to deal with Redden.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

One more round of compliance buyouts.

Pierre thinks the Rangers like Sheldon Souray who would waive his NTC for the Rangers. However,the Rangers need to move one of their two contracts on defense to fit in Souray who is having a terrible season in Edmonton. LeBrun mentioned in a chat last Thursday about the Rangers being interested in Souray. Pass. No way.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Compliance buyouts when the current CBA was agreed upon

Quote:
Will Clubs have an opportunity to make off-season adjustments to their rosters to come into compliance with the new CBA rules?

Yes. Clubs will have a one-time opportunity, during a six-day period, to exercise buy-outs of existing player contracts. Amounts paid to players pursuant to these compliance buy-outs will not be counted against a club's upper limit or the League-wide players' share. Clubs that choose to exercise compliance buy-outs must pay the buy-out amount over the remaining term of the contract.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Rangers bought out Bobby Holik and it didn't count against their cap.

Old
01-17-2010, 12:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

One more round of compliance buyouts.

Pierre thinks the Rangers like Sheldon Souray who would waive his NTC for the Rangers. However,the Rangers need to move one of their two contracts on defense to fit in Souray who is having a terrible season in Edmonton. LeBrun mentioned in a chat last Thursday about the Rangers being interested in Souray. Pass. No way.
RB, you wouldn't do Souray for Redden just for salary cap purposes?!?

$1.1MM less per year, 2 less years.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Current CBA expires after next season(2010-11)with the players having the option of extending it another season(11-12).

Old
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

$1MM less per year, 2 less years.
Edmonton wouldn't do it

Souray is due $9 million(actual salaries) over the next 2 seasons while Redden is due $23 million over the next 2 seasons.

Edmonton will want futures for Souray

Old
01-17-2010, 12:31 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Edmonton wouldn't do it

Souray is due $9 million(actual salaries) over the next 2 seasons while Redden is due $23 million over the next 2 seasons.

Yeah, but who'd be willing to give them futures given how putrid he's been?

If I'm the Rangers, I offer Redden plus one of Heikkinen/Sauer and maybe even a mid round pick. (One can dream.) I certainly wouldn't give them Rozsie, who I think has real value given his recent play and his contract.

Old
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Edmonton wouldn't do it

I thought it was $13MM over the next two?

Old
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
NO TEAM is going to accept Redden in a trade. He's a 5th or 6th d-man making an uneral amount of money with an unreal cap hit. We could offer Redden and 2 first round picks for a 7th, and a team would still be very hesitant and maybe even decline.

That being said, I'd be mildly interested in Souray. Wish we would've gotten him in free agency.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

I'd do that in a split second. It would also give DZ a veteran offensive defenseman to play on the PP with. I would throw in a pair of decent prospects like Sauer and Weise to make it worthwhile for Edmonton, though I am not sure it would be enough.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
OverTheCap

There's no way the Oilers are taking Redden for Souray. Lebrun even acknowledged this in the article, he said the Rangers need to shed the contracts of Rozy or Redden, NOT that the Oilers would trade Souray for either of the players.

The Oilers have major cap problems for a last place team. They are looking to shed salary, not take on more salary by trading for Redden, a lesser player than Souray.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Chimp

I'm not religious at all, in fact, I'm practically an atheist, but now I feel an urge to pray. If Captain Ca$h's contract wasn't so much shorter than Dreaden's, it would be very tempting to buy him out instead.

Another option could be buying out Captain Ca$h and dumping Dreaden into the minors.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I'm not religious at all, in fact, I'm practically an atheist, but now I feel an urge to pray. If Captain Ca$h's contract wasn't so much shorter than Dreaden's, it would be very tempting to buy him out instead.

Another option could be buying out Captain Ca$h and dumping Dreaden into the minors.
I can totally see that happening this summer. And I'd be totally behind it. (Redden plus for Souray is just a dream of mine.) Honestly, barring unforeseen opportunities before then, I think the Rangers will actually free up a lot of cap space this summer with at least 2 of the following 3 moves, possibly all 3: 1)buy out Drury, 2)bury Redden and 3)trade Rozsie.

Now, if you can also trade Kotalik at the deadline and maybe put Brashear on LTIR...

Old
01-17-2010, 02:54 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think they pull the trigger on Redden to the AHL either this year or over the summer/early next. There's nothing they can do with him and he's barely a 5th or 6th defenseman at this point. The Rangers can afford it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:54 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
I can totally see that happening this summer. And I'd be totally behind it. (Redden plus for Souray is just a dream of mine.) Honestly, barring unforeseen opportunities before then, I think the Rangers will actually free up a lot of cap space this summer with at least 2 of the following 3 moves, possibly all 3: 1)buy out Drury, 2)bury Redden and 3)trade Rozsie.

Now, if you can also trade Kotalik at the deadline and maybe put Brashear on LTIR...
there is no point of buying out drury. his cap hit in a buyout will still be high and then u have to add a player on top of that.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

drury has what...2 years left? id rather just deal with those 2 years than to buy him out...its not worth it for 4 years of dead cap space.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
drury has what...2 years left? id rather just deal with those 2 years than to buy him out...its not worth it for 4 years of dead cap space.
Not only that but I really doubt they do anything with Drury just based on the fact that he is the Captain and a "good guy". We all hope they do something but they won't.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Not only that but I really doubt they do anything with Drury just based on the fact that he is the Captain and a "good guy". We all hope they do something but they won't.
hahaha nice avatar pic

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
there is no point of buying out drury. his cap hit in a buyout will still be high and then u have to add a player on top of that.
Exactly. And that goes double if you're going to send Redden packing. You get 6.5M or whatever Redden's cap hit is immediately, and then only 2 summers later you get another 7M back for Drury.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Quote:
SEASON ACTUAL SALARY CAP HIT BUYOUT SAVINGS BUYOUT CAP HIT
2010-2011 $8,000,000 $7,050,000 $2,166,667 $5,833,333 $1,216,667
2011-2012 $5,000,000 $7,050,000 $2,166,667 $2,833,333 $4,216,667
2012-2013 $0 $0 $2,166,667 $-2,166,667 $2,166,667
2013-2014 $0 $0 $2,166,667 $-2,166,667 $2,166,667
I dunno, that is fairly compelling. Don't you think that his replacement for 3rd line center would be paid less than $2MM? So that leaves about $4MM in additional cap room next year, and about $1MM the year after that. And yes, you sacrifice $2MM in each of the subsequent 2 seasons, but at that time, you don't have Kotalik or Redden or Brashear on the books. In addition, history says that the cap will most likely go up in at least 3 of those years.

Having said that, I think the FbD's comment about him being the "captain and good guy" are more relevant - and as a result, the buy out of Drury is the least likely of the three I proposed. (And I did say 2 of 3...)

Old
01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I'm prob one of the biggest Reddens haters here, but how the hell is Redden a +1 and Girardi a -16?? I know Girardi has a a tough season too, but thats a noticable difference.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
I'm prob one of the biggest Reddens haters here, but how the hell is Redden a +1 and Girardi a -16?? I know Girardi has a a tough season too, but thats a noticable difference.
Girardi's on the ice more and against the other team's best players. Redden is on the ice when Brashear fights.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I hope Sather can lean on Brash to retire, like with Naslund.

Kotalik is a BIG problem. In every situation I've tried to work out in my head, Redden will likely be an irreparable problem, but we can still manage, even with Drury also. But if we're making any changes, Kotalik's $3M is make or break.

I can see Rozsival being traded, and hoping Kotalik can go with a B prospect for a marginal asset and a late pick. We'll have to pay to shed him, especially if we're to avoid an inflated contract in return. From there, waive Voros. I know they like the guy, but ****.

I'm not looking for Kovalchuk, Lecavalier or even Frolov. We can get a center like Stastny or even Ribeiro (as long as we promise not to slit his throat) through a three-way deal. Save UFA money for guys like Plekanecs, Ponikarovsky/Tootoo and Volchenkov, Morrisonn or Staios. There's also a few low-budget crease-clearers this summer, like Hnidy or McKee.

We also have RFA's like Hjalmarsson with the Hawks, or Wandell in Dallas who's pretty talented.

I'm just hoping we can ship out deadline guys like one of Higgins or Prospal. Girardi and Sauer are minor trading pieces. Dubinsky is a perfect supplement to a 1st or 2nd round pick.

We can make it work out with BOTH Drury and Redden IF Sather is committed and smart about it.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
part of it is that Girardi just isnt that great in his own zone a lot of the time, but also Girardi tends to get matched up against the best opposing players...that, coupled with the fact that we are one of hte worst offensive teams in the league, will kill your +/-

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
part of it is that Girardi just isnt that great in his own zone a lot of the time, but also Girardi tends to get matched up against the best opposing players...that, coupled with the fact that we are one of hte worst offensive teams in the league, will kill your +/-
That and the fact that you can see that Girardi works his butt off,blocks shots and most of all.. Competes.

I guess I should of put more emphasis on this part of the question...

How the hell is Redden a +1?? lol.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:

Yeah we're not taking Redden unless you take Horcoff and even then.... no, just no.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote