HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The official Toni Rajala thread

Old
10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
hifk88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyjub View Post
Rajala got 1+1 last night in a 5-2 win over Everett. Now his stats are: 9 games 5+6=11 +8 12pim
Pretty good start. He's still recovering from the knee injury so we can assume that he will continue to play better + support and challenge the top players of his team (Schenn, Glenn & Fehr).

hifk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:55 AM
FinProspects

Now 18 games, 8+10=18, +8. So his pace has slowed down a bit. How has he looked so far? Perimeter player still? Occasionally producing, but a bit inconsistent? Still getting used to more physical game? Who are his linemates, Calvert and Fehr, right?

I predicted, that it will take about 20 games that Rajala gets it going, so we will have to wait and see. Stat-wise, he has been just OK thus far. Hopefully he´ll get better.

FinProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Joe Hallenback

Perimeter Player, fantastic vision and nice soft hands. He is getting adjusted to the WHL style of play and I would imagine this is the most amount of games he has played in this short of time as well which is an adjustment for Euros as well.

He is better Defensively than I thought he would be and works hard to get the puck out of his end. He probably should shoot more especially on the power play. The whole Wheaties team can be accused though of trying to make too pretty of plays on the power play though.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
sbtatter

His linemates are usually Fehr and Lewadniuk now.
He hasn't been displaying blazing speed, for instance, on one on ones, he starts to skate past the defenceman, gets close to the hash marks then curls back towards the boards and blue line. I'd like to see him skate around the d-man, he'd probably draw a lot of penalties.
He has very good vision, positionally smart, has no issues helping get the puck out of his own zone. Needs to shoot more, but you could say that about all of our players. Hasn't yet proven to be a game changer like Schenn/Calvert/Glennie, but maybe that will change as he recovers from the injury and gets used to the small ice...

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Bully73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
I predicted, that it will take about 20 games that Rajala gets it going, so we will have to wait and see.
Nice prediction. Rajala had two goals in each of his last two games (games 21 and 22). Looks like he is starting to hit his stride as he is finally starting to utilize his great shot by shooting more.

Bully73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:30 AM
deanosaur

Holy ****.

Friday night, two snipes.
His one goal, coming down I think if I recall just under the top of the circle, snipes it shortside over the blocker

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:33 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Needs to shoot more, but you could say that about all of our players. Hasn't yet proven to be a game changer like Schenn/Calvert/Glennie, but maybe that will change as he recovers from the injury and gets used to the small ice...
Ha. Needs to shoot more... is there anything more frustrating at a Wheaties game sitting in the stands wondering, WHY AREN'T THEY SHOOTING more?
I mean ok... they put up 40 shots.... but really they could of had 50+ shots easily.

Old
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Ha. Needs to shoot more... is there anything more frustrating at a Wheaties game sitting in the stands wondering, WHY AREN'T THEY SHOOTING more?
I mean ok... they put up 40 shots.... but really they could of had 50+ shots easily.
The top 2 lines just appear to want to pass the puck into the net!!
Rajala needs to shoot more after seeing his 2 snipes in the top corners on Friday, and he utilized his speed all game, that's more like it hey?!!!!

Old
11-28-2009, 06:11 AM
sabresEH

Toni Rajala

I was just over at WHL.ca checking out the top scorers and what not and while looking at rookie leaders I notice Rajala was putting up a ppg in the dub. I was just wondering if anyone has seen him play and how does he look? I think we can all agree that the dub is the roughest league to play in. Rajala is a smaller guy so I was just shocked that A) He chose the dub(brownie points) and B) He is doing well statistically.

sabresEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
I was just over at WHL.ca checking out the top scorers and what not and while looking at rookie leaders I notice Rajala was putting up a ppg in the dub. I was just wondering if anyone has seen him play and how does he look? I think we can all agree that the dub is the roughest league to play in. Rajala is a smaller guy so I was just shocked that A) He chose the dub(brownie points) and B) He is doing well statistically.
He didn't choose the dub.. He was drafted by a WHL team in the CHL import draft..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
He didn't choose the dub.. He was drafted by a WHL team in the CHL import draft..
He probably meant he chose the WHL over staying in Finland.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:09 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Not to be a dick or anything... but you can see what peoples opinions of him are within the last 5 or so previous posts before yours...

Old
11-28-2009, 11:50 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
I doubt it is harder to play and score there than in the SM-liiga.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I doubt it is harder to play and score there than in the SM-liiga.
I think he meant the toughest league to play in in the CHL, but I'm not sure.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 04:25 PM
oilerfan17

I think he means that it is the most physically tough CHL league, which would go logically with his comment about his production despite his size. Rajala's comments about liking the speedier, more physical style are encouraging as well. He also added that he likes the smaller rinks more, which is a plus for his future NHL potential.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
sabresEH

Yes I meant choosing coming over staying, Yes I was talking about the CHL, and the reason why I didnt read the last five posts was because last night I couldnt find this thread so I started a new one which was obviously merged into the official thread.

sabresEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Any recent news, updates etc? Stats-wise Rajala seems to be getting more and more into the North American game. Currently 30 points in 27 games, including 14 goals (tied 2nd in his team). Has his overall game also improved?

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
FlamesWillRiseAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Holy ****.

Friday night, two snipes.
His one goal, coming down I think if I recall just under the top of the circle, snipes it shortside over the blocker
I saw that game. Both goals were VERY impressive.

Damn Oilers are starting to make me worry now..

FlamesWillRiseAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:53 AM
Savolainen

Rajala wasn't in the lineup of last nights game?
Is he injured?!

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savolainen View Post
Is he injured?!
That would be the WJC for Team Finland right there... Hope it's something minor. With Pulkkinen and Donskoi already out due to injuries and Haula left out for some other reason, we can't lose more top forwards.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savolainen View Post
Is he injured?!
He's just ill, as was his team mate Miller, nothing serious

Old
12-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Savolainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He's just ill, as was his team mate Miller, nothing serious
Huh, thanks for the info. Was really worried because he will play such an important part for Finland's WJC team.

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:34 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Who is the top Finn prospect in the league now?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

From the messageboard of ilves.com:

Quote:
Laitetaan nyt tännekin että unohtakaa Toni Rajala noista ketju sommitelmista, jos Mälkiä ei jollain ihmeellä saa potkuja. Toni itse kertoi että palaa suomeen ensi kaudella mutta ei halua pelata mällin alaisuudessa.
Translation: "Might as well mention in this thread as well that you can forget about placing Rajala in potential lines for next season. Toni himself said that he's coming back to Finland next season but not to Tampere Ilves if the current coach is still there."

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
From the messageboard of ilves.com:

Translation: "Might as well mention in this thread as well that you can forget about placing Rajala in potential lines for next season. Toni himself said that he's coming back to Finland next season but not to Tampere Ilves if the current coach is still there."
Wait... whaaaat?

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote