HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beer, It Does a Body Good

Old
01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Actually I think the Buffalo area is the only area where it's 4 AM....I do know in Rochester (well, Monroe County) it's 2 AM.

Its done by Counties, in New York

My county as well (Livingston) is 2 AM, Erie county is the 4 AM. While 5 miles south of me (Steuben County) is 1 AM.

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Actually I think the Buffalo area is the only area where it's 4 AM....I do know in Rochester (well, Monroe County) it's 2 AM.
No it's 4 am here in NYC also.

4 am is the state-wide time for last call - though individual counties are given the option of setting it earlier, if they wish.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
No it's 4 am here in NYC also.

4 am is the state-wide time for last call - though individual counties are given the option of setting it earlier, if they wish.
Well, I was more reffering to WNY (since that's what Chain mentioned in comparison to Canada).

Makes sense that the "City that Never Sleeps" would have a 4AM last call.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Ok thanks. In Germany it's 16 for beer and 18 for hard liquor. This means I have five years more experiences than Americans in the same age. Is there any reason why the drinking age is that high?
You're assuming that teenage Americans are good law-abiding citizens who don't start drinking until 21. Which is a questionable assumption. In reality, we probably start drinking at about the same age as Germans, except our experience has the added thrill of being a bit illicit.

Yeah the drinking age is too high in the US, but it's never going to be lowered, because of the power and influence wielded by special-interest lobbying groups like MADD.

I'm sympathetic to the arguments about drunk driving, but if I had my way, I'd address that problem by switching the drinking and driving ages. It would be 16 to drink, but 21 to drive. Give teenagers a few years to learn to drink responsibly and in moderation, before handing them the keys to a car.

Old
01-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
You're assuming that teenage Americans are good law-abiding citizens who don't start drinking until 21. Which is a questionable assumption. In reality, we probably start drinking at about the same age as Germans, except our experience has the added thrill of being a bit illicit.

Yeah the drinking age is too high in the US, but it's never going to be lowered, because of the power and influence wielded by special-interest lobbying groups like MADD.

I'm sympathetic to the arguments about drunk driving, but if I had my way, I'd address that problem by switching the drinking and driving ages. It would be 16 to drink, but 21 to drive. Give teenagers a few years to learn to drink responsibly and in moderation, before handing them the keys to a car.
Nothing like illicit binge drinking to make a party hop. Or a gathering. Or someone sitting around doing homework.

And I agree about the drinking age -- it won't change AND it would make more sense to move the driving age a bit. Binge drinking remains a big problem and one of the ways to cure that is changing the drinking age.

Now... where's my beer?

01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I'm a big advocate of drinking local beer as much as possible. There's no need to ship bottles half way around the world any more when there are so many great micro breweries now.
I agree with the though of supporting your local brewer, as long as they're making a good product..

Given my current location, I've been drinking a lot of stuff from Brooklyn Brewery and Blue Point.

Recently had a six of these. Pretty good.

Old
01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I'll have to check this out. It's also local for me as Cooperstown is about 30 minutes via winding farm roads to the south of here.
Ommegang is one of the premier Belgian-style breweries in the U.S. It's one of the few East Coast breweries that is featured in good beer bars and wine stores in California.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Ommegang is one of the premier Belgian-style breweries in the U.S. It's one of the few East Coast breweries that is featured in good beer bars and wine stores in California.
Was just stopping in to post their site link: http://www.ommegang.com/

I've had theirs and it holds up to Chimay, of which I enjoy the Grand Reserve more than the red labeled Ale... but both are tasty tasty.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Two personal favorites are Caffrey's Irish Ale and Kilkenny Cream Ale. Kilkenny seems to have replaced Caffrey's at the LCBO's. Sad really.

Both are far superior to Killian's.

Old
01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I bartend at Dwyers Irish pub in N. Tonawanda and we have tons of specialty beers there, bottle and draft... My favorites at the moment have to be Rogue Dead Guy ale and Dundee Festive ale. Have had Alexander Keiths before and really like that as well.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:45 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I've had theirs and it holds up to Chimay, of which I enjoy the Grand Reserve more than the red labeled Ale... but both are tasty tasty.
I love both of those from Chimay. As I said in the other thread, my favorite European beer.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Khabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post

For a macro it's spectacular. Those living in Buffalo who have never had it on the hoser side of the border, it comes highly recommended.
Nova Scotian at heart

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Vergilius

Quote:
I love both of those from Chimay. As I said in the other thread, my favorite European beer.
I absolutely love Belgians. St. Bernardus Abt 12 is one of my favorites. It has a wonderful taste and packs quite the punch (10% alcohol).

On a different note - has anyone here seen Old Speckled Hen recently? It is a British beer and I have seen it at Premier in the past, but not in some time.

Vergilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergilius View Post
I absolutely love Belgians. St. Bernardus Abt 12 is one of my favorites. It has a wonderful taste and packs quite the punch (10% alcohol).

On a different note - has anyone here seen Old Speckled Hen recently? It is a British beer and I have seen it at Premier in the past, but not in some time.
We gots Old Speckled Hen at a few places near me in Queens but I doubt that helps you . That's some good beer, a slightly more distinguished Newcastle, in my opinion.

I love Kilkenny's but I've yet to find it down here I gots to stick with Killian's.

I will say, I can't ****ing stand wheat, weiss, hefeweizen, white ale, whatever, beers. And I've had the "good ones." Ommegang, Weihenstephaner, Warsteiner... all of them, just not my style and they especially seem to be so popular down here

whiplash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:

I know Wegman's in the Rochester area carry it

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Rebuild

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I saw it in Consumers over the weekend. I've been doing the growler thing and didn't linger in the cold case.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Vergilius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpurple View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw it in Consumers over the weekend. I've been doing the growler thing and didn't linger in the cold case.
Which consumers were you at? The one nearest to me (Cayuga near Wehrle) didn't have it the last time I was there...

Thanks for all the responses - we Sabres fans know and love our beer!

whiplash: I agree - Newcastle is a decent English Ale, but The Hen has a nicer taste and is smooth as silk.

Vergilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
WVP

Nice thread dudes.

We got a pretty hardcore beer thread on the Pens board, actually on the 2nd round already. Everyone's welcome, hell we let Flyers fans in.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Sorry, I find Ommegang overrated, and far overpriced. Some beers, I'll drop the extra shekel for, like at Dogfish Head. Next on tap: Immort Ale. Ya hochu!

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:14 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
That's hardcore man. Even in college, we knew that stuff was pure *****.
green death.

Love the GCA in appropriate doses.

EBC's Blueberry is good on tap.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:30 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Sorry, I find Ommegang overrated, and far overpriced. Some beers, I'll drop the extra shekel for, like at Dogfish Head. Next on tap: Immort Ale. Ya hochu!
I've been drinking a lot of Raison d'Etre from Dogfish Head since my local supermarket started carrying it.

I didn't love it the first time I had it, but it's really grown on me. Very tasty.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Consumer's had Kronenbourg on tap... picked up a few growlers over the holidays. Tasty. Not great, but good. Not a micro -- it's the best selling beer in France.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:41 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Here in Chautauqua County, last call is 2AM. Lame. But we do have EBC, so it's not all bad. Their bourbon barrel, scotch ale, chocolate cherry stout, and nut brown ale are all very good.

Besides EBC's offerings, I dig:
Stone's Arrogant ******* and Oaked Arrogant *******
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Hop Harvest
Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale
Young's Double Chocolate Stout (GREAT for car bombs)
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Lake Placid's UBU Ale (but only from the keg or tap, the bottled stuff is made in Utica)
Molson Canadian, my official beer of seeing the game at the Arena
Flying Bison's Double Aviator Red and C-130 Hercules (the old name) barleywine
Good ole Guinness
And a black and tan of Alexander Keith's and Murphy's Irish Oatmeal Stout

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
dire wolf
be cool

There's a really good microbrewer from Maine called Allagash that makes top quality brews. If you are a big-time bourbon fan, you should check this out: http://www.allagash.com/curieux.htm It's aged in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weaks and has a strong bourbon flavor to it. It's hardcore all the way. You'll love it or hate it, I suspect.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
I have a buddy who lives nearby who used to reside in Keane, NH, so he does a New England loop every year. I'll have to let him know about it, see if he's had it before. He's a big bourbon barrel guy, himself.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote