HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mike Richards vs Media Confrontation:

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
  #1
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Mike Richards vs Media Confrontation:

Quote:
This is not going to be a popular stance among my hockey-writing brethren, but the fact is, I completely understand where Mike Richards is coming from in his on-again-off-again relationship with the local media.

You'll be hearing all about this tomorrow, but tonight Richards had a bit of a blow up with the local writers following a 5-2 loss to the Washington Capitals in D.C.

The crux of the disagreement was surrounding some quotes by Richards in the Jan. 25 edition of the Hockey News in which he is quoted as saying the Philadelphia Media makes things up when times are bad.

The exchange grew heated, so much so that at one point, coach Peter Laviolette had to get between Richards and one reporter (not yours truly) to prevent things from really going awry.

Before I express my opinion on the subject, I'm going to provide a transcription of the interview for all to read so you can begin to formulate your own opinions on the subject.

The crux of the disagreement was surrounding some quotes by Richards in the Jan. 25 edition of the Hockey News in which he is quoted as saying the Philadelphia Media makes things up when times are bad.

(NOTE: Two questions concerning the game were asked prior to these questions and have been omitted from this transcription for lack of relevance to the topic).

INQUIRER: A story was published this weekend where you say the Philadelphia media makes stuff up. Can you address that?

RICHARDS: The articles to begin with at the beginning of the year. Things like that.

INQUIRER: Such as?

RICHARDS: The drinking articles and things like that.

INQUIRER: The drinking articles?

RICHARDS: The articles… that’s why I didn’t talk to you for a month."

INQUIRER: I did an article that said that you drank?

RICHARDS: Yes.


http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...onys/blog.html


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-17-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Site rule #7 (posting of articles)
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
  #2
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
San Filipo was on 610 explaining it.

said he understood why it happened & said Pronger said Richards will learn not to engage the media

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:13 PM
  #3
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,493
vCash: 500
Any video of this? I'd like to see it because it sounds like he was being sarcastic at times but backpedaling at others. Hard to know when it's just words on a screen.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
  #4
FrederickFlyer27
Registered User
 
FrederickFlyer27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Corvallis, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
I wonder if it was with Sam Carchidi; that guy is a complete moron and should go back to covering New Jersey high school sports.

FrederickFlyer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
  #5
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
This is a non-story IMHO. Richards is 24 years old, and was publicly insulted in the newspaper. Of course he got mad. Made a bit of a scene.

Now Pronger will have a talk with Richards. Richards will learn a lesson. Things will be better.

blah blah blah

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
  #6
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
the yelling match [not transcribed above] happened without recorders on, apparently

Carchidi was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Any video of this? I'd like to see it because it sounds like he was being sarcastic at times but backpedaling at others. Hard to know when it's just words on a screen.
seems he was VERY angry:

"The exchange grew heated, so much so that at one point, coach Peter Laviolette had to get between Richards and one reporter (not yours truly) to prevent things from really going awry."

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
  #7
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I'll ask everyone's new best friend Sarah haha.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
  #8
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
more pics, too !!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
  #9
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Look, we all know that I'm the ***** here on the drinking and etc.

But the Philadelphia hockey media is a goddamned joke, good job to Richie putting some of those retards in their place, I would pay tons of money to see him whale on Panaccio and Carchidi.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
  #10
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Look, we all know that I'm the ***** here on the drinking and etc.

But the Philadelphia hockey media is a goddamned joke, good job to Richie putting some of those retards in their place, I would pay tons of money to see him whale on Panaccio and Carchidi.
I agree !Steve Carlton knew EXACTLY how to deal with the Philly sports writers and media. Ritchie should follow Carltons method.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
  #11
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Why would you ask the guy about THN article after a 5-3 loss? Couldn't the Inquirer have hired Brick Tamland to cover the Flyers beat? Even that Mayonnaise toasting, Trident throwing 48 IQ having retard would be better than ****ing Carchidi.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:40 PM
  #12
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Now, let's back to some real news, like just how badly OKT sucks ass at playing hockey...LOL

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
  #13
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I'll ask everyone's new best friend Sarah haha.
She's going to get a stalker and it will be all your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
more pics, too !!
...and contestant number 1 shows up right on time.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:51 PM
  #14
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ted=n#comments

Sam Carchidi is obviously the guy who needed to be saved...er, separated from Richards by Laviolette

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
  #15
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Why would you ask the guy about THN article after a 5-3 loss?
the advance copies went out friday

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
  #16
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
good on him.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
  #17
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
"Captain Whine rips media", are you ****ing kidding me?

At least pretend to be professional, this city is such an embarrassment sometimes.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:15 PM
  #18
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
the advance copies went out friday
I know, but that's not exactly the question you ask after a loss. Could have been asked Saturday at practice or tomorrow at practice, rather than right after a loss.

Just shows that Carchidi knows less about handling an interview than he does about hockey. Especially if you write an opinion piece calling the guy Captain Whine. He's been questioning the professionalism of the team for months.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
  #19
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
I know, but that's not exactly the question you ask after a loss. Could have been asked Saturday at practice or tomorrow at practice, rather than right after a loss.

Just shows that Carchidi knows less about handling an interview than he does about hockey. Especially if you write an opinion piece calling the guy Captain Whine. He's been questioning the professionalism of the team for months.
Carchidi is a bag of ******.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:21 PM
  #20
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Carchidi is a bag of ******.
The thing is that apparently he feels justified to write a biased headline like "Captain Whine rips media" because Richie won't blow him, but if Richie decided to write an article called, "Overly Sensitive Reporter won't Get off my Nuts Because I Don't Like Him", Carchidi would probably start his own crying parade.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:22 PM
  #21
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Carchidi is a bag of ******.
That's being nice.

It's actually got me pissed, which is pretty amazing, since I moved heavy ass furniture for 7 hours today-with liberal hockey breaks tossed in- and don't have the energy to grab another beer.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
  #22
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The thing is that apparently he feels justified to write a biased headline like "Captain Whine rips media" because Richie won't blow him, but if Richie decided to write an article called, "Overly Sensitive Reporter won't Get off my Nuts Because I Don't Like Him", Carchidi would probably start his own crying parade.
Carchidi. Even the name sounds pretty ginger beer.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
  #23
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The thing is that apparently he feels justified to write a biased headline like "Captain Whine rips media" because Richie won't blow him, but if Richie decided to write an article called, "Overly Sensitive Reporter won't Get off my Nuts Because I Don't Like Him", Carchidi would probably start his own crying parade.
Carchidi's been questioning the professionalism of the team all year. Now, somebody on the team questions his, and he shows his true colors with the Captain Whine headline.

He's just a hack. It's an embarrassment that he's the beat writer for our team.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
  #24
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Are these reporters retarded? (Yes, that was rhetorical.)

Doesn't that dope realize that Richie can just lock him out, and give him nothing to write about? Good luck keeping your job when nobody will talk to you, Sam.

"Captain Whine." Is he regressing to when he was working on the middle school newspaper? How immature is this hack?

What a joke. Good on ya, Richie.

Also, I'm sure "Overly Sensitive Reporter won't Get off my Nuts Because I Don't Like Him" would be better written than anything Charchidi has drummed up lately...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:34 PM
  #25
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Carchidi. Even the name sounds pretty ginger beer.
Sounds like a guido who should be covering fights at Jersey Shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Carchidi's been questioning the professionalism of the team all year. Now, somebody on the team questions his, and he shows his true colors with the Captain Whine headline.

He's just a hack. It's an embarrassment that he's the beat writer for our team.
He's a classic no-talent guy who has decided to try to make a name for himself by writing controversial crap that ultimately makes him look like a ******.

How do you think a jackass like Jay Mariotti is so famous? You write enough crap that's controversial, even if it's completely wrong, and people start to notice you. Carchidi is trying to be some kind of voice of moral reason because these guys get with hot chicks and go out to bars while he jerks off in the bathroom so his wife won't notice.

It's a travesty that a great hockey town like Philadelphia has to put up with this crap while an insightful writer like Meltzer writes on some hack's website instead of in the paper. I wonder if Carchidi even knows anything about the history of this team.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.