HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards vs Media Confrontation:

Old
01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ips_media.html

They've changed the URL as well as the title. I guess someone didn't like "Captain Whine".

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ips_media.html

They've changed the URL as well as the title. I guess someone didn't like "Captain Whine".
Most of the time editors make the headline. Maybe the website is set up so that the writers post their own articles with their own headlines and it took awhile until an editor to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

End result is a whiny little ***** like Sam Carchidi.

EDIT: The mustache in his picture on his blog virtually screams, "I'm trying to be manly." But you're failing Sam. You're failing pretty badly.
He's no Ron Burgundy.

But, yeah, normal guys would love to have Mike Richards or any cool hockey player as part of the circle of friends. I mean, just think of the scraps that would fall in your lap. And, he'd probably pick up the tab half the time. It's win-win. And that's how normal guys think.

But he isn't normal.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
But, criticism of the approach of the Hockey News story which was certainly a few months too late on the subject, the post game story became a story only because we put ourselves into the story.
http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...onys/blog.html

That's one of the seven deadly sins of journalism.
Just another reason to be disappointed with my profession. So many spectacular writers are stringing, doing PR, selling paint at Home Depot, or are just sitting at home wondering if they'll ever get another job, and this is what is out there.

And, yes, blog posts are usually cleaned up by editors after posting to allow the writer to make the blog as timely as possible. In newspaper stories, writers almost never get to write a headline. On blogs, they usually get the first shot at the headline.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He's no Ron Burgundy.

But, yeah, normal guys would love to have Mike Richards or any cool hockey player as part of the circle of friends. I mean, just think of the scraps that would fall in your lap. And, he'd probably pick up the tab half the time. It's win-win. And that's how normal guys think.

But he isn't normal.
Believe me man, one of my greatest college regrets is not really being in a group of friends where a couple of them were hockey players.

I roomed next to Adam Kraus (BU's 3rd string goalie) sophomore year and he was bringing back different girls every night and doing his business with the door open (I'm not joking). Obviously, most of them were skanks, but still, Kraus is not exactly the best looking guy on campus and he was pulling them in right and left.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:08 PM
BerubeBox*

Nothing wrong with skanks

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Nothing wrong with skanks
Well, I have enough problems in my life without having to worry about my health downstairs.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
That's one of the seven deadly sins of journalism.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Exhibit A of why I'm glad Pronger is a Flyer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pronger
"There's always a learning curve, but it's not always the way you think it's going to be an it's definitely not always going to be the easy way," he said. "The media turned on me pretty quick and I think that's why I had the reputation I had for the first seven, eight, nine years as not media-friendly. THey weren't overly nice to me, so I thought, 'I'm not going to help them do their ob if theiy're not nice to me.'
"Learning that lesson comes with the learning curve and maturity. You're going to have situations where things don't always go well and you have to learn how to deal with the bad times just as you have to learn to deal with the good.
"Mike is still a very young player and nobody's going to be perfect all the time. He's a pretty quiet guy who wants to lead by example and let his play be his voice,let his play be the tool that gets guys to buy in to what we're trying to do here. As a young leader with a lot of young players around, sometimes that's difficult.
"Guys are going to make mistakes, whether it's maturity issues, or game experiences. There are all sorts of things you encounter as a 24-year-old and you're going to look back years later and say 'Ahhh' - much like I did. I had to go through the exact same experiences as a young captain with a lot of pressure like Mike.
I can tell all these guys what's going to happen until I'm blue in the face, but they've got to go live it and make their own mistakes. They may heed some advice and not make some of the glaring mistakes I made, but they still have to live their lives and learn from their experiences."
From Article Posted in OP

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:54 PM
captainpaxil

its a shame they had to be told this twice. talk about hockey your beat reporters. if not the captain is gonna put you *****es back in pocket. well see how much richie has in the room on whether or not the inquire becomes unreadable this week. the pressers will be unwatchable but the guys will talk to reporters one on one. it will be the team against the world or it will be richie as the bad guy. if he tries and they neuter him hell lose the room for sure. we know pronger can lead but can he shut up and follow?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Beastieboy

Quote:
He's no Ron Burgundy.
I think he is a dead ringer for Ned Flanders in that picture. Maybe he shops at the Leftorium?

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Generally, if you piss off the players and they stop talking to you, the paper gets you to stop talking to them by replacing you.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:40 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Carchidi and the rest of them are such hypocrites. They decide what to write about, they select the material, then when you get a guy like Richards who calls them out about it, they start blaming everybody else, or they try to play coy and be smart with stuff like "When did I do that?" They're the ones starting it.

Carchidi and Co. want to act like Homer called them up and was like, "You know what Sammy? I think Richie and Cartsy drink, party, and get laid way too much. You should write something about it, I smell a Pulitzer." It's such a joke. They're such cowards.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Carchidi and the rest of them are such hypocrites. They decide what to write about, they select the material, then when you get a guy like Richards who calls them out about it, they start blaming everybody else, or they try to play coy and be smart with stuff like "When did I do that?" They're the ones starting it.

Carchidi and Co. want to act like Homer called them up and was like, "You know what Sammy? I think Richie and Cartsy drink, party, and get laid way too much. You should write something about it, I smell a Pulitzer." It's such a joke. They're such cowards.
Exactly. And I don't blame Richards for saying they make stuff up when things aren't going well, because they do.

Think back to early December when Emery was playing hurt (unknown to everyone), and the team was struggling a bit. The headlines read "Goalie Controversy" everywhere you looked. But in reality, Stevens was playing the healthy goalie. I guess those hacks needed something to fall back on. So why not go to the tried and true "Goalie Controversy"...it sold papers when Cechmanek was here....or how about Esche vs. Niitty, or what about Biron vs. Niitty? Back in December, I had gone to Jefferson for an X-Ray, and saw Ray Emery there. And I remember thinking to myself, "That's why he's not playing so well". So, when I was reading all these "controversy" articles, it really A) pissed me off, because all the casual fans were asking me questions like: "so what do you think man? is ray a headcase? blah blah. and B) opened my eyes to how much of a joke the Philly media is concerning sports, not just hockey.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Scoopyten

Richards didn't even say that the reporters made stuff up-he said people make stuff up, obviously referring to the guy who blogged about the Hartnell-Carter issues.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
I don't live in Philadelphia as you all know, but isn't this (type of crap) common with the media there?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
kicksave27

It would be nice if they actually had hockey writers in philly. They'd know about hockey and ask hockey related questions instead of resorting to celebstalker type stories. You aren't covering LiLohan, you are covering hockey, it's the game that matters, what they are working on in practice, not what bar they went to last night. Go write for national inquirer! It's like the refs that think they are why people come to the game, not the players.

I actually liked Les Bowen before they switched him to the eagles, he seemed to be more factual and less rumor mill oriented.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't live in Philadelphia as you all know, but isn't this (type of crap) common with the media there?
Yes.The local media is driven by the oldest sports talk radio station in town, 610 WIP. WIP is confrontation radio, where most hosts talk down to the fans, especially those who disagree and create stories and controversy to fill the airtime.

Unfortunately, the newspapers have aped this style in an attempt to remain relevant.

The reporter in question has now had two run ins with professional athletes about off the field/ice issues, and now he moans about how he hates to write about the off ice issues.

Unfortunately, the good journalists in town get smeared by the same cloth. Personally, I'd like to see the entire team boycott this particular reporter and force the Inquirer to relegate him back to covering high school field hockey and blind girl soccer, which is clearly his forte.

Old
01-18-2010, 09:43 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Any reporter worth a **** would know not to ask stupid questions following a loss. Especially to a player who doesn't like the media much on a good day.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:22 AM
MsWoof

Tweets from Pannachio:

tpanotch

Flyers on ice. Laviolette taking to Richards as they skate in circles. I will bet my wallet it's about the media. Lavvy gestures w/hands ...

tpanotch
My guess, as they circle and talk is he is telling him what Pronger said: get over it, and move on; bigger things to worry about than media

Wow, he is a mind reader! Since Lavi got between Richards and the writer last night, don't you think they've already talked about it?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Tweets from Pannachio:

tpanotch

Flyers on ice. Laviolette taking to Richards as they skate in circles. I will bet my wallet it's about the media. Lavvy gestures w/hands ...

tpanotch
My guess, as they circle and talk is he is telling him what Pronger said: get over it, and move on; bigger things to worry about than media

Wow, he is a mind reader! Since Lavi got between Richards and the writer last night, don't you think they've already talked about it?
He's another guy who, more often than not, deserves to be managing a Chuck E. Cheese rather than writing about hockey. It's just too bad that he's banned from Chuck E. Cheese...

Old
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post

I agree the media started the confrontation yesterday, but they weren't trying to play coy. Richards was exaggerating when he said the media said he and Carter are always out drinking so I don't think the media was just trying to play coy with their reaction to him. The media coverage during the tailspin was hardly unfair to the team and didn't dwell on the party story much at all. The media shouldn't have questioned him on his comments in THN, but Richards has extremely thin skin and was turning their reporting into something it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
The reporter in question has now had two run ins with professional athletes about off the field/ice issues, and now he moans about how he hates to write about the off ice issues.
Carchidi did have another run in with Brett Myers, but it had nothing to do with off the field issues. The run in happened after Myers blew a save where he gave up two home runs. Myers shrugged it off saying the homers were pop ups ( CBP cheapies). Carchidi disagreed with his assessment that they were pop ups and the hothead Myers went off on him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
He's another guy who, more often than not, deserves to be managing a Chuck E. Cheese rather than writing about hockey. It's just too bad that he's banned from Chuck E. Cheese...
this made me LoL....

I only was graced with ONE B-day party invite to a Chuk E. Cheese as a kid since it was in upper dirty where none of the main line parents wanted to send the kids 8(

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
this made me LoL....

I only was graced with ONE B-day party invite to a Chuk E. Cheese as a kid since it was in upper dirty where none of the main line parents wanted to send the kids 8(
To be fair to those parents, they probably prevented dozens of cases of abuse.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:00 AM
ph

He was clearly goading him. Why else would you keep prying when Richards is clearly trying to avoid the subject? The media has too much power and influence over the general population and almost no accountability. Also, reading the posted comments on those articles is just sad. We live in a city of sheep.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Carchidi did have another run in with Brett Myers, but it had nothing to do with off the field issues. The run in happened after Myers blew a save where he gave up two home runs. Myers shrugged it off saying the homers were pop ups ( CBP cheapies). Carchidi disagreed with his assessment that they were pop ups and the hothead Myers went off on him.
I stand corrected on Myers.